PDA

View Full Version : Are there any announcers GU fans like?

ZagaZags
02-01-2015, 11:15 PM
Seems like 92.9% of announcers get a bad grade from GU fans. Jim Calhoun is the latest to be thrown into the fire pit. (Jim Calhoun happens to be very new at the job ) I was curious if you have a favorite announcer. I'm not judging you, that is your job.

http://media.giphy.com/media/UQnWxyGjZUcDK/giphy.gif

convertedZagfan
02-01-2015, 11:42 PM
I think Richard Fox has great potential and is already doing a fine job on the local telecasts. Not a knock against Dan Dickau, but Fox and Heister seem to do a much better telecast by themselves. Heister seems to get much sillier around Dickau and seems to be more serious with Fox. KHQ/SWX local broadcaster Sam Adams did a fine job on the game he worked this year. I hope he and Fox are the future of local GU broadcasts.

maynard g krebs
02-01-2015, 11:43 PM
Mike Montgomery is fantastic. Bob Knight as well. Love Walton and Dan Dickau. Raftery was great; doesn't seem to be doing games now.

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Regardless of what one thinks about him, I learn more basketball in one half from Bob Knight than I ever thought existed.

BTB
02-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Regardless of what one thinks about him, I learn more basketball in one half from Bob Knight than I ever thought existed.

Yup. He's a marvelous teacher.

soccerdud
02-02-2015, 12:36 AM
dream duo: gus johnson and bob knight.

ZionZag
02-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Doris Burke

Bkzag
02-02-2015, 04:16 AM
Mike Montgomery is fantastic. Bob Knight as well. Love Walton and Dan Dickau. Raftery was great; doesn't seem to be doing games now.

+1

Also, Raferty is only doing Big East games, I think on NBC's Sport Channel...220 on Direct TV

zagfan24
02-02-2015, 04:16 AM
I did radio broadcasts of high school basketball, football, and baseball for about 4 years, and it was one of the most challenging jobs I've ever experienced. Way, way tougher than it looks/sounds IMO. Especially in that setting, I had to track rosters, keep stats, control the board, etc. all along with one other person at most. While the "big boys" are given a lot more help, they also likely have producers yapping in their ear half of the time. TV is a different animal from radio to be sure, and I think the best tend to stay out of the way for the most part. A good play by play and color team grow through experience...it's very noticeable when you get a pair that has worked together a long time.

There are a few greats, but the reality is the network is not going to give the 10 pm game on their secondary channel their top broadcasting team. Since my little one came along I've been increasingly watching games on mute, and I have to say it doesn't have a significantly negative impact on my experience.

bartruff1
02-02-2015, 05:14 AM
dream duo: gus johnson and bob knight.

Epic

gonzagafan62
02-02-2015, 05:19 AM
Gus, Richard fox, love my boys Jon sciambi Fran fraschilla,

jbslicer
02-02-2015, 05:23 AM
Dave Pasch and Bill Walton. Schulman and Bilas.

CarolinaZagFan
02-02-2015, 06:05 AM
Bardo! What happened to him?

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-02-2015, 06:47 AM

Also, Raferty is only doing Big East games, I think on NBC's Sport Channel...220 on Direct TV

Raftery and the late, great Al McGuire are my all time favorite commentary guys for college hoops.

Raftery was actually doing national broadcast of Michigan vs Michigan State yesterday. Very much hoping we get to hear him announce a Zags game in the Big Dance.

Reborn
02-02-2015, 06:47 AM
I wish Bill Walton would do a Gonzaga game. Fran is really good, Raferty is the best imo, and then Gus Johnson. I think Burke is very good also. I enjoy her a lot. Calhoun is hard to understand. He talks too fast, and his dentures seem to not fit.

Go Zags!!!

TheGonzagaFactor
02-02-2015, 06:55 AM

Most announcers are fine in my opinion. I thought Knight was annoying in our NIT game as he just seemed to be overly critical and I got the notion that he just wanted to see us fail. I've always been a Walton fan, but the last couple games I've heard him on he's been terrible. Utah vs. UCLA last week he just kept arguing with the play-by-play guy and criticizing UCLA as they were beating a top 15 team.

Raftery is my favorite, he pretty much only does CBS games.

webspinnre
02-02-2015, 07:00 AM
Its worth noting that there's a difference between your play by play and color guys. I didn't like Calhoun doing color because he was hard to understand. I wasn't a huge fan of Knight because he struggled with focus. Being a color guy requires more than knowledge of the game, it requires an ability to communicate that knowledge in the course of the game to those who don't have that same level of insight. I'd have to really think about some of the color guys I've heard. I'm not a fan of Walton either.

When it comes to play-by-play, I definitely miss having Dave Flemming doing the broadcasts. I didn't have any problem with Mowins on Saturday, she was fine.

Zagceo
02-02-2015, 07:20 AM
I'd like to see Sam Adams get more opportunities. I think Hudson and Santangelo do a fine job.

bballbeachbum
02-02-2015, 07:25 AM
Raftery and the late, great Al McGuire are my all time favorite commentary guys for college hoops.

Raftery was actually doing national broadcast of Michigan vs Michigan State yesterday. Very much hoping we get to hear him announce a Zags game in the Big Dance.

my two favorites as well. they keep/kept the focus on the teams and players we're watching. some of the color guys seem to make it about themselves (the big red head is kind of like this to me but for some reason I don't mind him)

I like Bardo, Gus Johnson, Doris Burke and Fran, as long as he's not calling a Big 12 game against a different conference; man he loves the Big 12 while I do not.

we're lucky to have Fox and Dickau as the home guys

Kiddwell
02-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Liked the gal who did the Memphis game. (Can't recall name.) Calhoun, on the other hand, was oft-times incomprehensible (mumble, mumble). People here like Walton, really? Bill Walton? Bill "I'll Say Any Asinine Thing to Draw Attention to Myself" Walton? Mama Walton's "I Wuv My Wee Willy" Walton? Oh, well. Moving on...

...this fan thinks Heister and Fox have been solid lately (Heister's keeping tangents to a minimum). Bobby Knight is scary, really scary. No, spooky, really spooky; but he does know the game.

Otherwise, this fan is easy to pleasy and basically is OK with whoever ESPN throws out there. Kiddwell even likes those SoCal guys who do the WCC Game of the Week.

God bless them all, of course. A challenging thing putting oneself out there in front of millions for two hours. Speaking of blessings, in Bill Walton's case, may he find blessed relocation to Helsinki, Finland, doing plum-puddin' commentary for the Finlandia Snowballers.

:]

RenoZag
02-02-2015, 08:01 AM
I thought Jim Nance and Steve Kerr were a good combo for the tourney games last year.

In the "old days" I enjoyed the Gowdy - Maguire ( and then Dick Enberg - Maguire ) combo when NBC had the rights to the Big Dance. I thought Keith Jackson did a fine job on NBA games when ABC held the rights.

Johnson & Raftery have been doing games on FoxSports this season. Gus' enthusiasm is contagious.

Shulman and Bilas do a good job; I feel for Shulman when he has to work with Vitale.

Rece Davis & Seth Greenberg do a good job on the Thursday night Big Ten games.

Brad Nessler & Sean Farnham are doing the Tuesday SEC games now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_College_Basketball_broadcast_teams

I caught a bit of Doug Gottleib doing color on a game yesterday. While probably not intended, he comes across as a snarky martinet to this fan's ears.

mgadfly
02-02-2015, 08:32 AM
I actually like most of the announcers. I really like Fox and thinks he does a great job. I don't like Heister, Ehlo, or Bill Walton (as announcers). I loved the game Knight did. I thought Calhoun did a mediocre job and was hard to understand at times, but I didn't have to put cotton balls in my ears like the Heister-Ehlo days.

I don't mind Dukie-V even though he hoarsely yells the entire game. At least he's talking about the guys and the game. During the college football national championship game they had an alternative broadcast where four or five celebrity sports people were sitting around yapping about the game. I listened to it for a few minutes and it felt way too much like an Ehlo-Heister called game. Too familiar. I quickly changed the channel.

229SintoZag
02-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Kevin Calabaro is fantastic. Tough to get anymore with his NBA stuff but he is a lot of fun. He did some UW games and other Pac 10 stuff a few years ago.

Call me crazy but I actually liked Billy Packer with Nance. Sure he could be a piece of work at times but he did a good job and brought it.

I love Bob Knight.

DixieZag
02-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Heister has gotten much, much, better since the board blew up. Whether the two are related, I don't care. Is he Jim Nance? No, but he's much better and the least we can do is acknowledge it.

Zagceo
02-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Hudson and Santangelo doing a TV & Radio simulcast is my first choice.

caduceus
02-02-2015, 11:23 AM
As much as I found Calhoun's Buddy Hackett-esque enunciation unintelligible, I did think the content was superb. The guy clearly has excellent insight and knowledge of the game. Just needs to slow down his pressured speech.

LongIslandZagFan
02-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Heister and anyone is not a good choice... I actually think Heister tries too hard. Anyone good at ESPN ends up moving up the food chain. Bardo was great... think he ended up at CBS

jbslicer
02-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Someone posted this: "Raftery and the late, great Al McGuire are my all time favorite commentary guys for college hoops."
Do you think Al McGuire would call Karnowski an "aircraft carrier?'

Mantua
02-02-2015, 11:45 AM
I'd like to see Sam Adams get more opportunities. I think Hudson and Santangelo do a fine job.

+1000

Angelo Roncalli
02-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Kara Lawson is solid.

adoptedzag
02-02-2015, 12:01 PM
No love for Bardo?! C'mon maaaaan!

gonzagafan62
02-02-2015, 12:04 PM
I forgot about Bill Raftery. That guy is genius. Love him and Verne.

kitzbuel
02-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Heister has gotten much, much, better since the board blew up. Whether the two are related, I don't care. Is he Jim Nance? No, but he's much better and the least we can do is acknowledge it.

Agreed. Heister and Fox are a solid crew right now. If I am watching a hometown broadcast I expect the broadcast team to be pro GU, that is what makes the calls fun. That is why ESPN always plays a local broadcast clip with some of their big highlights.

Heister and Fox have been focused, informative and entertaining of late (the Sabonis staring down a lion line for example).

maynard g krebs
02-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Kara Lawson is solid.

Beat me to it; I thought of her when somebody mentioned Mowins. I'd be happy with Lawson as the Zags regular commentator.

zaguarxj
02-02-2015, 12:13 PM
I'm surprised there are so many Bill Walton fans. Seems like a cool dude but he makes my skin crawl as an announcer. Probably my 2nd least favorite, only surpassed by Dick Vitale in the "really annoying announcers" category.

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm surprised there are so many Bill Walton fans. Seems like a cool dude but he makes my skin crawl as an announcer. Probably my 2nd least favorite, only surpassed by Dick Vitale in the "really annoying announcers" category.

Love Walton.

jagwalkley
02-02-2015, 12:21 PM
I think our Richard Fox and Sam Adams would be great.You can learn more from Bob Knight in one or two games than all of them put together,if you listen.You guys don't like Bill Walton much here,but I would love to have him do some for us.Calhoun talked way to fast to understand much of anything he was trying to get across. Doris Burke did a great job the first game of Keven Pangos vs.Wa.State. She knows her stuff.

sittingon50
02-02-2015, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE Is he Jim Nance? [/QUOTE]

I think they both spend a lot of time on their hair.

seacatfan
02-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Bardo! What happened to him?

I think I heard him doing a game on the Big 10 Network recently. Agree with you, I always liked him.

seacatfan
02-02-2015, 12:29 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention Laphonso Ellis, I find myself enjoying watching games that he's working. In the studio sometimes as well.

maynard g krebs
02-02-2015, 01:10 PM

Some people like vanilla; others prefer Rocky Rococo. The older folks who indulged in the Walton lifestyle back in the day will get the reference.

I'm in the Walton lover camp, but acknowledge that he can alternate between Montgomery/Knight insight level about basketball and Heister level gibberish. Never dull anyway; I can understand how some hate him. Just a matter of personal taste.

And without his presence, we never would have gotten to see Bilas in a tiedye, which was hilarious in itself.

maynard g krebs
02-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Liked Sam Adams as a play by play guy as well.

webspinnre
02-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Kara Lawson is solid.

Good call.

CDC84
02-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Stephen Bardo works for the Big 10 Network. Both as a studio analyst and a game analyst. He's the best ESPN WCC analyst that the league has had since the WCC signed the initial ESPN contract. The worst was Hubert Davis.

I actually think Stan Heath has turned out okay.

Favorite color analyst will always be Billy Raff. Right combination of analysis, delivery and personality.

Section 116
02-02-2015, 03:16 PM
I could easily get on board with Hudson, Santangelo simulcast. I listen to their radio stuff as often as I can.

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Good call.

Agreed

Section 116
02-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Speaking of Raftery: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-02-02/philadelphia-big-5-hall-of-fame-to-induct-bill-raftery-la-salle

americasteam
02-02-2015, 03:29 PM
For local/Root broadcasts, Sam Adams/Dan Dickau would be my choice over Heister/Fox. I've heard Dan Dickau on Pac12 broadcasts and he is really interesting, talks a lot of x's and o's. Sam Adams is great - sticks to the game and doesn't get sidetracked a lot.

For national broadcasts, I like Fran, Bardo, Kara Lawson, Beth Mowins. I'd love Kevin Calabro if we could ever have him!! I'll take Dick Vitale once a year. Bob Knight for a halftime. I'll skip on Bill Walton. I'm sure Jim Calhoun is a great guy but since I couldn't understand him....

Go Zags!

UberZagFan
02-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Stephen Bardo works for the Big 10 Network. Both as a studio analyst and a game analyst. He's the best ESPN WCC analyst that the league has had since the WCC signed the initial ESPN contract. The worst was Hubert Davis.

Agreed. Bardo took the time to become knowledgeable about the whole league and not just GU or whatever other team may have been ranked at the time. Others from the Network sometimes come across as if they are being inconvenienced in being assigned to a WCC game when they are waiting to do a Big 12 or ACC game.

Gus makes everyone who sits next to him better. Raff is tops.

TheZagPhish
02-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Favorite color analyst will always be Billy Raff. Right combination of analysis, delivery and personality.

And he seems to be living the game times ten. Like no other.

Birddog
02-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Raftery is far and away my favorite color guy. The reason he is so good is because like good players, he lets the game come to him. He doesn't force his observations. Too many "B" team color announcers feel obligated to force feed us all the points that they outlined in their pre-game prep whether they are timely or appropriate.

Heister and Fox have been solid of late and I think maybe Heister and Dickau could be solid too, it's just when there are three in the booth that it goes S fast. I feel the same about all three in the booth broadcasts, it's just too many perspectives.

Unlike many, I'm not a fan of Gus ,his enthusiasm is phony to me esp. when he broadcasts football. I can tolerate him though in BB.

Knight is the most informative some times, but other times he dwells all game long on one talking point only. I remember one game when all through the broadcast it was "ball screens" that he focused on. I felt like he had just been lazy in his game prep.

Burke is the best of the babes, but Mowins is solid too.

Calhoun though knowledgeable, can't impart that to a broadcast until he has some coaching in annunciation, pace, and diction.

Most of those mentioned above as play by play guys and gals are acceptable to me, it's the color guys that are the weak link for the most part.

I forgot to mention Fraschilla, he's definitely one of the better color guys .

All this is just one old curmudgeons opinion.

CDC84
02-02-2015, 03:52 PM
I forgot to mention Fraschilla, he's definitely one of the better color guys .

He's my favorite besides Billy Raff. Used to love Jimmy Dykes as well.

pablo1516
02-02-2015, 03:54 PM
+1 for Huddy and Santangelo

229SintoZag
02-02-2015, 03:57 PM
He's my favorite besides Billy Raff. Used to love Jimmy Dykes as well.

What ever happened to Jimmy Dykes? I agree he was solid.

Section 116
02-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Jimmy Dykes is the women's basketball coach at the U of Arkansas, his alma mater and doing pretty well.

Robzagnut
02-02-2015, 04:10 PM
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Gus Johnson, "The slipper still fits!"

I love listening to Bill Walton. My favorite player and announcer.

I enjoy Bobby Knight, because he puts on a clinic every game.

I like Dickie V's enthusiasm. He's great for the game.

I love Raftery's little catch phrases... "The kiss..." "Onions!"

And Fran Fraschilla is extremely knowledgeable about GU.

zagamatic
02-02-2015, 04:56 PM
I like Knight, but can see why some don't. Also really like Fraschila, Bilas, Raftery, Bardo,and Fox. Among the relative newcomers, I really like sam Adams, Doris Burke and Beth Mowins. I would really like to see Adams get more time locally. Although I have to admit that Heister has been doing a much better job of late. I think I'm with a few other people in that I think Heister and Dan Dickau do much better when apart.

DixieZag
02-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Watching Kansas-Iowa State reminds me that I love Brett Musberger, not even so much b/c he's a great play by play guy, he's good, no doubt, but you know it's a big game when Brent throws out the "You're looking live from the campus of . . . . "

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Yes, Musberger. Classic announcer. Good stuff.

Zag 77
02-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Dennis Patchin was great in the late 1990's and early 2000's until IMG took over the broadcast rights.

Cavebear33
02-02-2015, 11:47 PM
I second Dennis Patchin. I also like Sam Adams and Kara Lawson. One guy never mentioned is Steve Myklebust who does the Gonzaga women's games. I think he does a terrific job.

NEC26
02-03-2015, 05:04 AM
I absolutely loved Bardo, and I like most others. Only one I can't stand is Knight as he may know a lot but is a pompous windbag that never shuts up and drones on and on and on and on about the same things all game long(often when there is an actual you know game going on).
Knight YOUR NOT COACHING ANY MORE!!! Be the color guy, not the coach, and Heister for other obvious reasons.

Edit: I don't know how many times I've listened to Knight and thought. This guy couldn't care less about these teams or the game going on(not just Zag games either) other than let everyone know what he would do and say. He doesn't even bother to figure out the names before the broadcast let alone study the teams and players.
Good coach who knew how to have a consistent message to his players but horrific color guy.

CDC84
02-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Speaking of Billy Raff, he (along with Grant Hill) will be the color analysts for CBS at 2015 final four:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25026294/final-four-bill-raftery-grant-hill-picked-as-game-analysts

rennis
02-03-2015, 08:09 AM
- Bardo, Fraschilla, Doris Burke, Raftery, Gus J, Jim Nance. All awesome.

- I disagree that Heister has gotten better. I will agree that he has gotten less annoying but his preparation for each game, as compared to say Fran Fraschilla, is sorely lacking. In my opinion of course.

UberZagFan
02-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Speaking of Billy Raff, he (along with Grant Hill) will be the color analysts for CBS at 2015 final four:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25026294/final-four-bill-raftery-grant-hill-picked-as-game-analysts
Saw that. Jim Nantz, who has the best two week stretch of any announcer, is of course on the play-by-play. Another article: http://thebiglead.com/2015/02/03/bill-raftery-and-grant-hill-join-jim-nantz-to-call-2015-final-four/

WBM
02-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Fran Fraschilla was first to come to mind.
Beth Mowins did a really nice job. I would take Jim Calhoun and her again. I think Mowins did a nice job injecting important game calling into Calhoun's acceptable color.
Dave Flemming (who I remember as the one whose voice does not match his face at all) does a nice job keeping things on track too.

Listening to Tom Hudson and Matt Santangelo on the radio is very enjoyable, other than not being able to watch the action. Radio play-by-play is usually good enough that I can just visualize what's going on; I think the TV guys are at a disadvantage because the viewer can see so much that they find themselves trying to avoid being obvious or redundant. I should never, however, be stuck wondering who got called for that last foul. There have been plenty of times that I've had to check an ESPN GameCast play-by-play in order to find out something minute that just happened.

Basically, all i want in a broadcast crew is a play-by-play guy that tells me what's going on, and a color guy that understands when to lock it up so the play-by-play guy can keep viewers informed.

Shanachie
02-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Knight is the most informative some times, but other times he dwells all game long on one talking point only. I remember one game when all through the broadcast it was "ball screens" that he focused on. I felt like he had just been lazy in his game prep.

Yes! Exactly. He'll start out with an observation which is usually informative (and sometimes brilliant), but then he spends the rest of the game trying to interpret everything that happens as somehow being supportive of that same point. If he would just let the game action drive what he talks about, he would probably be my favorite color commentator.

Sometimes it feels like he has a page-a-day coaching / announcing calendar and he can't change subjects until he wakes up the next day and tears the next page off.

zag944
02-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Generally I've liked just about whoever ESPN puts on WCC duty...Davis, Bardo, Farnham etc.

I like Dickau and Fox...just don't like both with Heister. 3 man booths are hard for the best in the business...especially in basketball. Heister has been fine this year with Fox. It was chaos with Ehlo.

ZagaZags
02-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Bill Raftery, Grant Hill to call Final Four with Jim Nantz. Raftery is one of the best in the business.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12272796/bill-raftery-grant-hill-call-final-four-place-greg-anthony

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Bill Raftery, Grant Hill to call Final Four with Jim Nantz. Raftery is one of the best in the business.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12272796/bill-raftery-grant-hill-call-final-four-place-greg-anthony

As I said earlier, would love to see Raftery call a Zags game this year!

WBM
02-03-2015, 05:40 PM
As I said earlier, would love to see Raftery call a Zags game this year!

Well, he's calling the Final Four this year... :pray:

Zagceo
02-03-2015, 07:19 PM

Happy for Bill sad for Greg

NotoriousZ
02-04-2015, 04:30 PM

As if we needed any more insentive to make the Final Four. Come on, Zags!

webspinnre
02-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Made the mistake of turning on Oregon-UW, only to find Walton. Switching to TTU-KSU.

jpn17
02-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Hudson and Santangelo doing a TV & Radio simulcast is my first choice.

This would be my preference as well. I used to do that with other sporting events when I was younger and TV was analogue, but now that TV is digital it's so far behind the radio that you just can't do it, the two aren't even close to being synced.

Zagceo
02-04-2015, 10:41 PM
This would be my preference as well. I used to do that with other sporting events when I was younger and TV was analogue, but now that TV is digital it's so far behind the radio that you just can't do it, the two aren't even close to being synced.

If you have a DVR its easy…….just rewind and find sync and its good for the whole game. I use my IPAD or iPhone and TuneIn app for radio broadcast because I'm in CA. Works like a charm.

seacatfan
02-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Made the mistake of turning on Oregon-UW, only to find Walton. Switching to TTU-KSU.

I thought he only did Arizona's games. Didn't watch any of this game, so I didn't get a dosage of Waltonisms--a little bit goes a long way.

Zagceo
02-04-2015, 11:31 PM
I thought he only did Arizona's games. Didn't watch any of this game, so I didn't get a dosage of Waltonisms--a little bit goes a long way.

You can thank Marty Glickman for unlocking Waltons Stuttering problem when he was about 30 I think……the rest is broadcast history.

hooter73
02-05-2015, 07:48 AM
For local/Root broadcasts, Sam Adams/Dan Dickau would be my choice over Heister/Fox. I've heard Dan Dickau on Pac12 broadcasts and he is really interesting, talks a lot of x's and o's. Sam Adams is great - sticks to the game and doesn't get sidetracked a lot.

Agree with this. Dikau has gotten better now that he has his radio show. What I think most people like about Dan and Richard is that they know the game as players AND arent complete homers. They will pick apart GUs short comings.

For what its worth I talked to Sam Adams and he said the game he called was a one time gig.

seacatfan
02-05-2015, 11:00 AM
You can thank Marty Glickman for unlocking Waltons Stuttering problem when he was about 30 I think……the rest is broadcast history.

Many years ago Walton would do NBA games, I believe it was for a local station doing Blazers broadcasts. His partner was Steve "Snapper" Jones. Jones had no tolerance for Waltons out of left field comments, he would put him in his place all the time. That used to crack me up. Now they just let him run with it, or even encourage him. The thing is, his comments aren't as random as they seem. It's like he has a script, and he works in the same things every game. Lots of references to the Grateful Dead, a few song lyrics from Linda Rondstadt, some mention of sleeping outside in the desert (maybe that's only during Arizona games, but that's usually when I get stuck listening to him), maybe a few other things.

maynard g krebs
02-05-2015, 01:24 PM
The thing is, his comments aren't as random as they seem. It's like he has a script, and he works in the same things every game. Lots of references to the Grateful Dead, a few song lyrics from Linda Rondstadt, some mention of sleeping outside in the desert (maybe that's only during Arizona games, but that's usually when I get stuck listening to him), maybe a few other things.

True, but he is really good about telling the personal stories of players, game history, etc. If you think about it, he does a lot of research and is really well prepped. Last night he featured Ken Babbs of Merry Prankster fame. I have met Ken; for about a year and a half I rented a cabin on the back of the property owned by his brother John, who I used to play pickup ball with at the Eugene Y. (John was a former English prof at UO, and also a prankster known by the name of "Left Behind" in the movie that came out a few years ago, because the bus took off without him in Louisiana, I think). Ken is a pretty big guy, about 6'3; John about 5'8 but was still a pretty good player in pickup games into his 60's. But it was Bill Walton from whom I learned last night that Ken Babbs played D1 ball at Miami of Ohio way back when. (John died of pancreatic cancer a couple years ago at about 73; he was still playing ball occasionally when I was last there in 2009).

maineblackbear
02-05-2015, 01:37 PM
Kevin Calabro--Bob Knight-really enjoy him--sure he's kinda annoying but I learn a lot. I listened to Dickau once when he was calling a game not sitting next to Heister and thought he was really good! Heister has gotten better lately, I guess. Richard Fox is improving steadily-- really having a good season!

@Maynard G. Krebs who said:" others prefer Rocky Rococo"

Hubba hubba what a suit!

yeah, i love your Firesign references. Not many of us here. Loved your Bozos reference the other day-- pretty cool that the FS was making comedy skits about computer viruses in 1974 ("He broke the President . . .")

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled pixmission.

seacatfan
02-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Watching "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story" on TV for the umpteenth time. Jason Bateman's character Pepper Brooks has to be the best worst announcer ever! Totally vapid, adds absolutely nothing of any value, and has a stunning grasp of the obvious. It's awesome. ESPN 8--if it's almost a sport, it's on the ocho.

sittingon50
02-17-2015, 07:34 PM
Love The Ocho!

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Watching "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story" on TV for the umpteenth time. Jason Bateman's character Pepper Brooks has to be the best worst announcer ever! Totally vapid, adds absolutely nothing of any value, and has a stunning grasp of the obvious. It's awesome. ESPN 8--if it's almost a sport, it's on the ocho.

I had forgotten that. Good stuff. I find Fred Willard as the clueless announcer of the big dog show is pretty funny, too :]