PDA

View Full Version : Other games Super Bowl Sunday

23dpg
02-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Michigan State beats Michigan in OT
Utah is destroying USC at the half
California is leading UW by 5 in the first half. Empty arena, no energy at all. What's happened to the Dawg Pound? This is like watching a JV game

RenoZag
02-01-2015, 11:38 AM
I think if I was a Seattle based college kid I would rather be off "pre-functioning" for the Seahawks game then watching Romar's edition of "Night of The Living Dead." But that's just me.

23dpg
02-01-2015, 11:44 AM
If I was a Husky fan. I would love to go to the bball game before the Super Bowl.

If the Zags were playing in Portland today, I'd be there, Chiles would be packed with Zags, then I'd go watch the big game.

How does Romar keep his job? I've been wondering that for at least 4 years now. Always the promise of next year I guess.

CDC84
02-01-2015, 12:09 PM
It's called a contract that goes through 2020 at 1.7 mil per year plus incentives.

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 12:11 PM
It's called a contract that goes through 2020 at 1.7 mil per year plus incentives.

This is a question, not a challenge.

Do you really think that $1.7 million a year to an Athletic Department that rich makes a difference if they thought they could win with someone else?

Rangerzag
02-01-2015, 12:13 PM

Romar should be one of the biggest boosters of Husky Football!

Rangerzag
02-01-2015, 12:14 PM
I think if I was a Seattle based college kid I would rather be off "pre-functioning" for the Seahawks game then watching Romar's edition of "Night of The Living Dead." But that's just me.

No it isn't just you.

23dpg
02-01-2015, 01:43 PM
UW loses to Cal 90-88.
Huskies took their first lead since early in the game only to be beat by a 3.
Seattle yawned.

Mantua
02-01-2015, 03:13 PM
I'd love to hear Romar's sales pitch to recruits.

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-01-2015, 03:50 PM
The Huskies actually offered free admission to anyone wearing a Seahawks jersey too.

peg645
02-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Michigan State beats Michigan in OT
Utah is destroying USC at the half
California is leading UW by 5 in the first half. Empty arena, no energy at all. What's happened to the Dawg Pound? This is like watching a JV game

He was a great coach at St. Louis. Maybe he should have stayed there.

maynard g krebs
02-01-2015, 05:58 PM
This is a question, not a challenge.

Do you really think that $1.7 million a year to an Athletic Department that rich makes a difference if they thought they could win with someone else?

Makes some difference probably, but the question about winning w/ somebody else is an interesting one. People tend to forget about Bender, Russo, and Nance. Romar built UW from scratch; he's had more success than anyone since Harshman.

Seattle really doesn't care about college bb; they'll jump on a bandwagon if the team's great, but ignore a team that's middle of the pack. A bit after I moved here in the mid 90's, I went to a preseason game because it was free. I saw a fr guard named Dan Dickau and the next day I bought a season ticket because he was so fun to watch and I believed he'd soon be starting. General admission, 6 dollars a game, less that $100 for the year. Most of the time I could walk down and sit a few rows from the court; ushers didn't care because they were just happy to have a thousand people in the building.

It's doubtful UW could do better than Romar; those other guys had just as good pedigrees when they took the job.

seacatfan
02-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Makes some difference probably, but the question about winning w/ somebody else is an interesting one. People tend to forget about Bender, Russo, and Nance. Romar built UW from scratch; he's had more success than anyone since Harshman.

Seattle really doesn't care about college bb; they'll jump on a bandwagon if the team's great, but ignore a team that's middle of the pack. A bit after I moved here in the mid 90's, I went to a preseason game because it was free. I saw a fr guard named Dan Dickau and the next day I bought a season ticket because he was so fun to watch and I believed he'd soon be starting. General admission, 6 dollars a game, less that $100 for the year. Most of the time I could walk down and sit a few rows from the court; ushers didn't care because they were just happy to have a thousand people in the building.

It's doubtful UW could do better than Romar; those other guys had just as good pedigrees when they took the job.

After I moved to Seattle I starting getting 5 game plans for UW basketball for fairly cheap and I got to watch them play good teams like Arizona, UCLA and Stanford. Saw GU beat the crap out of the Huskies twice at Hec Ed. I started a little before Romar's tenure started and the turn around. I was lucky enough to see some big games as they started getting things rolling. I was at the game with Nate Robinson's tip jam over the top of Arizona's 6-10 center Channing Frye. Saw them beat #1 ranked and previously undefeated Stanford right at the end of the regular season 1 year. Saw them beat a good NC State team when Julius Hodge was there. Then ticket prices went thru the roof, they stopped doing the 5 game plan and they started selling out almost every game.

Agree with above, I think many forget how bad UW was when Romar took over and how well he turned things around. If they fired him, would they get someone better? I don't think UW is really a destination job for college bball.

23dpg
02-01-2015, 06:37 PM
I use to think that way too. I would argue with my Husky friends that they were being too fickle. That was a few years Ago.
But he's being paid like a premium coach and putting up sub par results. I remember what it was like before Romar and agree that he's the best coach they've had. But that shouldnt giarantee him a lifetime contract.

Also, there was a football game today. I think the Seahawks won. They had the ball on the 1 yard line with a few seconds left, then my screen went blank.

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 06:43 PM

Good answer. Thx.

gonstu
02-01-2015, 06:59 PM
I use to think that way too. I would argue with my Husky friends that they were being too fickle. That was a few years Ago.
But he's being paid like a premium coach and putting up sub par results. I remember what it was like before Romar and agree that he's the best coach they've had. But that shouldnt giarantee him a lifetime contract.

Also, there was a football game today. I think the Seahawks won. They had the ball on the 1 yard line with a few seconds left, then my screen went blank.

Congrats on the Seahawks and I suggest avoiding all news, Internet and social media for a few days!

seacatfan
02-01-2015, 08:37 PM

No, actually that was the Seahawks coaching staff's brains that went blank, not your screen.

Robzagnut
02-01-2015, 08:43 PM
No, actually that was the Seahawks coaching staff's brains that went blank, not your screen.

Figured Wilson would not get any blame... He CANNOT throw that pass. Worst interception in Super Bowl history. But, Wilson has God-like status in Seattle and can do no wrong, so the coaches will take the heat instead. Last game he throws 4 picks and everyone blames Kearse, now it's the coaches fault... He should start doing commercials for Teflon.

seacatfan
02-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Figured Wilson would not get any blame... He CANNOT throw that pass. Worst interception in Super Bowl history. But, Wilson has God-like status in Seattle and can do no wrong, so the coaches will take the heat instead. Last game he throws 4 picks and everyone blames Kearse, now it's the coaches fault... He should start doing commercials for Teflon.

Okay, he shouldn't have thrown it, but the coaches need to take the heat for calling a pass play there. This will probably go down as the single worst play call in Super Bowl history. You're inside the 1 yard line with 30 seconds left, a time out and 3 downs, you have probably the best running back in the league, who is known for bulling thru defenders and being hard to tackle. What do you do? I think the coaches outsmarted themselves on that one. You do the obvious thing and jam the ball in the end zone with Lynch. Duh.

seacatfan
02-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Also, if a receiver tips a catchable ball up into the air right into the defender's hands, why would you blame the QB for the interception?

gonzagafan62
02-01-2015, 08:54 PM

Carol said in his interview it was his play call. He thought he had the advantage on a goal line defense vs three wide receiver set. Which Is logical. What they failed to notice is that it was a goal line Plus three corners defense. The slant was still there just macolm made a hell of a play on the ball and took a huge risk. It paid off for him and the patriots. It was a great game and the blame really should just be on Carrol. He thought he had the look. What try should have done I called timeout regardless that they only had one and run it with lynch. He's going to get the one yard on three tries. And they had 40 seconds or so .... It's not like hurry up would have taken more than 8 seconds. Run the dang ball

Robzagnut
02-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Also, if a receiver tips a catchable ball up into the air right into the defender's hands, why would you blame the QB for the interception?

Go back and look at the interceptions. 3 of them were Wilsons fault. Two he threw up for grabs and the other was too far out in front of Kearse. One was Kearse's fault.

Any other QB makes that throw and they get crucified. Wilson gets a pass. He forced it into a tight coverage and it cost the Seahawks. It was a horrible call made worse by a horrible pass. The Seahawks had two more downs and a timeout to get one yard. If it's not there, throw it thru the end zone.

Zags11
02-01-2015, 09:49 PM

Lmao dumb passive aggressive response. A quick slant at 2 yd line is a high risk high reward play. You pound the ball there and pound it again. Wilson is a damn good qb and was bad vs green bay. 2 of those 4 ints were on kearse and that isnt just wilson nut huggers but ex qbs, ex nfl players,etc. It was a terrible playcall tonight and the hawks believe that too.

ZagaZags
02-01-2015, 10:29 PM
The Seahawks need to work on their end of the half play.

caduceus
02-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Figured Wilson would not get any blame... ....Worst interception in Super Bowl history.

You misspelled Derrell Bevel.

http://i.imgur.com/TMJJ8uI.jpg

Thanks, Progressive.

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Just my opinion but those of you saying it was the single worst coaching call in history are unquestionably correct.

No Monday QB'ing either, as soon as he dropped back I screamed "what are you doing!"

Dumber than a duck attack.

ZagaZags
02-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Just my opinion but those of you saying it was the single worst coaching call in history are unquestionably correct.

No Monday QB'ing either, as soon as he dropped back I screamed "what are you doing!"

Dumber than a duck attack.

http://www.contestofchampions.net/images/responseimages/daffyduckvsdonaldduck/reverse-1304071076_daffy-with-gun.gif

Zags11
02-02-2015, 06:38 AM

Thx. You made me smile for a split second and then i died again.

DixieZag
02-02-2015, 06:40 AM
Thx. You made me smile for a split second and then i died again.

They can learn a play from the Zags, take the ball, put your head down and run into a whole line of guys ad try to remain upright.

sittingon50
02-02-2015, 07:35 AM

Been a few years since a #3 has been so vilified on this board. Guess there is "nothing new under the sun."

WallaWallaZag
02-02-2015, 07:46 AM
agree that it was a head-scratching play call, but why not give some credit to the patriots...that was a heck of a play on the ball by their corner...he closed in a hurry...i'm guessing that from wilson's perspective the throw was open when he let it go.

Vanzagger
02-02-2015, 08:03 AM
1 Seahawks are a running team

2 They have been the best team the last 3 years. I give coach and GM tons of credit for assembling the talent and competitive culture.

3 Seahawks are a running team

4 thank you Darrell Bevell and Tom Cable for you unwavering commitment to the running game the last 3 years

5 LOB

6 Silver lining...at least we don't have to listen to Russel Wilson talk about how God put him on Earth to win those kind of games every time someone puts a microphone in front of his face

Robzagnut
02-02-2015, 09:33 AM
Lmao dumb passive aggressive response. A quick slant at 2 yd line is a high risk high reward play. You pound the ball there and pound it again. Wilson is a damn good qb and was bad vs green bay. 2 of those 4 ints were on kearse and that isnt just wilson nut huggers but ex qbs, ex nfl players,etc. It was a terrible playcall tonight and the hawks believe that too.

Give it up on the tired, old passive aggressive cr@p when you don't agree with something you read. That one went out in the 70's. But, if it helps you sleep at night… It was a terrible call followed by a terrible throw. Even the 'experts' that you talk about said this morning that the throw was late. If that was Peyton Manning who made that throw all we would be hearing today about would be, "Choke!" and "Can't win the big one." But, since it's Saint Wilson, it's someone else's fault.

If Wilson gets credited with a completion on the amazing catch last night and gets praised for "giving his receiver a chance" on jump balls to that unknown rookie, then he should also be credited with an interception when he leads Kearse too far and Kearse has to stick out one hand to try and make the catch and it bounces off his hand.

You can't have it both ways. If he sticks the throw, he's the best QB ever. If it's an incompletion and Lynch scores on the next play, he's the best QB ever. He throws the worst interception at the worst possible time in SB history, and sure, it's not his fault.

sittingon50
02-02-2015, 10:14 AM
How do you really feel, Mrs. Jackson?

seacatfan
02-02-2015, 12:47 PM

Their end of the first half play worked brilliantly. The second half...not so much.

seacatfan
02-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Obviously the interception in the end zone in the closing seconds will live on forever in infamy. I don't think it should have ever come down to that play. Hawks went up 24-14 in the 3rd quarter and had all the momentum. Then their offense quit moving the ball at all. Of course if you keep giving the ball back to Tom Brady, he's going to engineer a come back. That's what he does. Also the Hawks D struggled on 3rd downs during the entirety of the game. Gotta give some credit to Brady and the rest of the Patriots players, coaching staff for coming up with a game plan, etc. It was mostly dink and dunk, Brady hardly went down field all game, but they were able to consistently move the ball (not on the ground, but who cares--the short passing game is kinda like a running game). Seattle's offense was boom and bust. They picked up big chunks of yards on several drives, but they went absolutely nowhere a good portion of the game as well. It was a game with several large momentum swings back and forth. Kearse's catch was nearly miraculous. Seahawks nearly pulled off another dramatic come from behind win like against Green Bay...but then they didn't.

Robzagnut
02-02-2015, 04:07 PM
How do you really feel, Mrs. Jackson?

* I'm upset that the Seahawks didn't win.

* I'm mad that Carroll made a bad call and Wilson made a bad throw.

* I'm really angry, because I have to listen to all the talk about how awesome Belicheat and Brady are for the next year. Cheaters do win and that sucks.

webspinnre
02-02-2015, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure Wilson made that bad of a throw. That throw is such a rhythm throw that is dependent on the receiver getting to his spot just as the QB hits his drop. The play was over when the defender cut him off. While I'm not opposed in principle to a pass, I would've liked to have seen a play-action into a roll-out giving Wilson the run/pass option, with a flare out of Willson and maybe a drag from the other side.

Hoopaholic
02-02-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure Wilson made that bad of a throw. That throw is such a rhythm throw that is dependent on the receiver getting to his spot just as the QB hits his drop. The play was over when the defender cut him off. While I'm not opposed in principle to a pass, I would've liked to have seen a play-action into a roll-out giving Wilson the run/pass option, with a flare out of Willson and maybe a drag from the other side.

Not opposed to pass onthat particular down, with time and single timeout left....however I am opposed to the play design and primary receiver going into the middle of the field....they were in goal line defense with 8 in the box and safety in middle up near goal line. there was simply no room to work as the primary receiver......fade or post and throw to outside where only our guy gets it you betcha........but not a pick play to the middle with limited spacing and difficult room to work.......

Zagceo
02-02-2015, 04:56 PM

* I'm really angry, because I have to listen to all the talk about how awesome Belicheat and Brady are for the next year. Cheaters do win and that sucks.

You're gonna to have to get thicker skin if you wanna watch SportCenter……..a least for a couple of days. ;)

Zags11
02-02-2015, 10:50 PM

Maybe you should research how bellichek planned for this exact play by the hawks and browner a ex hawk tipped them off as well. Browner jamming kearse gave butler a free jump on a quick slant. Wilson could of thrown it in bread basket though. Yes what you said was passive aggressive, be it 1974 or 2014. I dont think wilson is god but best hawk qb ever....already. Better then Brady at this time in career. That is factual and yea wilson makes mistakes...he isnt jesus but hey, some ppl are alive cuz of jesus.

Zags11
02-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Just like i dont blame lockette or kearse. I blame bevell for not using the best back in nfl for a yard. The jesus comment wss a joke for giggling but if i offended im sorry. Lol.