PDA

View Full Version : The 4-Game Homestand - 21, 31, 18, 18

BobZag
02-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Those are the winning margins, and they could've been more. Just something to chew on for a while.

Carry on.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
02-01-2015, 10:27 AM
We are in a good spot no doubt. Just need to keep fine tuning. That announcer guy was praising Few for his end game coaching when it was over. He was trying to fine tune.

Have a great day BZ :)!

23dpg
02-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Gonzaga has lead almost every minute of every game, led start to finish in many of them, and never trailed for even a significant portion of any game (esp in the 2nd half; a few minutes at BYU and Arizona, maybe one more).

This is unprecedented and likely not to be repeated. Enjoy it while you can.

Headline: Worst 18 point win > Best 18 loss.

BobZag
02-01-2015, 10:42 AM
We are in a good spot no doubt. Just need to keep fine tuning. That announcer guy was praising Few for his end game coaching when it was over. He was trying to fine tune.

Have a great day BZ :)!

I'm all for stretching and flexibility (Ichiro was renowned for this), but that avatar hurts to look at. :o

Rangerzag
02-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Those are the winning margins, and they could've been more. Just something to chew on for a while.

Carry on.

Another way to say DOOMED??

:jk:

You are entirely right, BZ.

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Gonzaga has lead almost every minute of every game, led start to finish in many of them, and never trailed for even a significant portion of any game (esp in the 2nd half; a few minutes at BYU and Arizona, maybe one more).

This is unprecedented and likely not to be repeated. Enjoy it while you can.

Headline: Worst 18 point win > Best 18 loss.

It is truly amazing that the only significant period in which we've played from behind is that 8 minute span at BYU. And, we answered the bell there.

For some reason, I'm not all that worried about this team responding to the mental toughness required when we eventually do face those tough periods when behind or trading leads.

I tried to think about differences between this team and the 2013 team, looking for improvements and I think there are some, though we have no one as dominant as Olynick was that year.

- Karno is at a completely new level and really can't be stopped if catches down low.
- Domis and his motor give us more rebounding than even Elias
- Bell is healthy
- Pangos/Bell are now 4 year starters, been there.
- Wiltjer, been there, dead-eye
-Wes, been there.
-Mac - Defense/speed.

I think this team is way ahead of the 2013 team and is why the word "Legitimate" keeps popping up, as if it is a refutation of the last time we got a one seed.

We're spoiled.

VinnyZag
02-01-2015, 11:11 AM
I'm all for stretching and flexibility (Ichiro was renowned for this), but that avatar hurts to look at. :o

Ichiro WAS renowned? He's not dead, he just plays for the Marlins now.

RenoZag
02-01-2015, 11:41 AM
He's not dead, he just plays for the Marlins now.

Same thing

CDC84
02-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Some of the stuff the team was doing in the final 8 minutes last night was driving Coach Few nuts. Just as Calhoun said on the broadcast, you have to be attentive to details in games that are in the bank because you can start picking up bad habits that can hurt your later on. The inattentive rebounding, stalls on offense, and more importantly, the terrible handling of Memphis' press, are all things that GU let get out of hand due to a lack of focus.

Gonzaga was fortunate that they were so much better than Memphis last night that the Tigers couldn't past the double digit barrier, but what's going to happen when the next UCLA, Texas Tech or Davidson comes around in March? Those teams will not only keep playing hard like Memphis did, but they will have the talent and togetherness to make it a ball game again.

As I keep saying, this team needs to learn to compete against itself. "The lead is now 25, let's see if we can get it to 32 in the next 4 minutes," etc. "Memphis is shooting 35% from floor right now, let's see if we can get them below 30% in the next 10 minutes, etc."

Even great teams should always find ways to get better. The danger with a team like this year's team is complacency.

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Some of the stuff the team was doing in the final 8 minutes last night was driving Coach Few nuts. Just as Calhoun said on the broadcast, you have to be attentive to details in games that are in the bank because you can start picking up bad habits that can hurt your later on. The inattentive rebounding, stalls on offense, and more importantly, the terrible handling of Memphis' press, are all things that GU let get out of hand due to a lack of focus.

Gonzaga was fortunate that they were so much better than Memphis last night that the Tigers couldn't past the double digit barrier, but what's going to happen when the next UCLA, Texas Tech or Davidson comes around in March? Those teams will not only keep playing hard like Memphis did, but they will have the talent and togetherness to make it a ball game again.

As I keep saying, this team needs to learn to compete against itself. "The lead is now 25, let's see if we can get it to 32 in the next 4 minutes," etc. "Memphis is shooting 35% from floor right now, let's see if we can get them below 30% in the next 10 minutes, etc."

Even great teams should always find ways to get better. The danger with a team like this year's team is complacency.

Perfect.

sittingon50
02-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Same thing

Cmon now, coached by a Zag. Movin' on up.

No one goes to their games, but they are going to put a decent product on the field this year.

seacatfan
02-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Ichiro WAS renowned? He's not dead, he just plays for the Marlins now.

I can't help but think of a Monty Python movie. "I'm not dead yet. I'm feeling bettuh."

seasontixholder
02-01-2015, 01:56 PM

LOL, about as unrealistic as it gets. When GU had a 24 point lead and Melson made the steal to give Pangos an open jumper, the MAC was rocking and the players were on adrenaline overload. Not one player in 1000 in a similar situation (throughout my basketball watching decades, at least) would be thinking in such terms. Or thinking much at all. They're just in a zone.

GU was never in any danger and the players knew it. Earlier on, it once got down to 15, but then spurted back to 22 with easy looks. Players relaxed again. Then Few sat down Karnowski around the 5:00 minute mark. The basket was left unprotected and not well rebounded. After getting down to 13, PK came in with 2+ minutes to go and order was re-established. The guys again played like the other times they were building a lead.

Perfectionists will always be unhappy.

Mantua
02-01-2015, 03:40 PM
LOL, about as unrealistic as it gets. When GU had a 24 point lead and Melson made the steal to give Pangos an open jumper, the MAC was rocking and the players were on adrenaline overload. Not one player in 1000 in a similar situation (throughout my basketball watching decades, at least) would be thinking in such terms. Or thinking much at all. They're just in a zone.

GU was never in any danger and the players knew it. Earlier on, it once got down to 15, but then spurted back to 22 with easy looks. Players relaxed again. Then Few sat down Karnowski around the 5:00 minute mark. The basket was left unprotected and not well rebounded. After getting down to 13, PK came in with 2+ minutes to go and order was re-established. The guys again played like the other times they were building a lead.

We can't afford to let down like on the road or in March. Anyway, that's how I interpret The BZ Challenge.

Jstock12
02-01-2015, 05:13 PM
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

maynard g krebs
02-01-2015, 05:30 PM
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

??

Birddog
02-01-2015, 06:10 PM
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Yesterdays Powerball numbers?

CDC84
02-01-2015, 06:35 PM

I would suggest reading Jerry Tarkanian's autobiography and how he used to keep his teams motivated in the Big West and PCAA. It's not about perfection. It's about maintaining sharpness and getting better when you are playing competition that is inferior to you. You do that by playing a complete (but by no means flawless) 40 minutes, competing against yourself, setting your own goals, and not allowing the opponent to drag you down. You don't do it by becoming unfocused and losing track of what it is you need to do to get better. I'm sure this was pointed out to the players after the game. Few wasn't happy on the sideline near the end of the game.

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Yesterdays Powerball numbers?

Fibonacci numbers?

gonstu
02-01-2015, 06:53 PM
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

You lost me. ;)

Zagdawg
02-01-2015, 07:12 PM
The numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42 frequently recurred in the movie Lost. Each corresponded with one of the final candidates to replace Jacob as protector of the Island. The numbers also formed the coefficients in an equation that predicted mankind's extinction.

WallaWallaZag
02-02-2015, 07:35 AM

...and that's why the wcc is a major hurdle to overcome in terms of a final four run...and i also think it's a hurdle that few hasn't figured out yet, but i'm hoping he's actively trying to.

cjm720
02-02-2015, 09:16 AM
The numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42 frequently recurred in the movie Lost. Each corresponded with one of the final candidates to replace Jacob as protector of the Island. The numbers also formed the coefficients in an equation that predicted mankind's extinction.

And that show turned out to be the biggest waste of time in my life. Luckily that will never happen to me with the Zags (winning is more fun though).

seasontixholder
02-02-2015, 09:38 AM
I would suggest reading Jerry Tarkanian's autobiography and how he used to keep his teams motivated in the Big West and PCAA. It's not about perfection. It's about maintaining sharpness and getting better when you are playing competition that is inferior to you. You do that by playing a complete (but by no means flawless) 40 minutes, competing against yourself, setting your own goals, and not allowing the opponent to drag you down. You don't do it by becoming unfocused and losing track of what it is you need to do to get better. I'm sure this was pointed out to the players after the game. Few wasn't happy on the sideline near the end of the game.

And I would suggest that you set aside coachspeak to understand why runs (followed by fallbacks) happen in BB games, or the other action sports for that matter.

Teams turn superhuman in spurts driven by adrenaline rushes; rushes that invariably are followed by adrenaline crashes. For a few minutes, performance is a sight to behold ... that is, until the opposing coach calls a timeout to let the adrenaline subside.

A coach can attempt to preach peak or efficient performance till blue in the face, but if the majority of the players left on the court afterwards have tanks somewhat empty, then no amount of tutoring will help them perform efficiently. The resulting play is less cerebral and more primal, and even the very best teams become vulnerable.

02-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Hurts in a good way though if that's possible right? I do it more for the spiritual benefits than anything. I just proud of the practice with the same passion as Christy Turlington. Maybe im an idiot for using it as an avatar on a MB but maybe I can inspire just 1 person? :) Is that u? These are the same yoga pants that got recalled...lol

02-02-2015, 10:33 AM

http://www.careershifters.org/expert-advice/perfectionism-is-a-good-thing

I think in the case CDC presents it can be healthy for Gonzaga. What are your thoughts?

02-02-2015, 10:43 AM

I believe this to be true...thanks. The back and forth BTW seasontix and CDC was cool though. Anyway take care everyone. Catch up with you tomorrow maybe.

hondo
02-02-2015, 10:50 AM
These spells that Zags go through are good reminders of what they need to work on in practice. When a team is 21-1 their weak areas are not always in the spotlight.

Zagger
02-02-2015, 11:17 AM
21, 31, 18, 18 - There are 4 away games left. If the Zags can come close to these win margins in the away games .... WOW! I think they can but they'll have to improve on FTs, passing (TOs) and offensive rebounding. I feel they have the desire and focus to keep up the good D. Multi-tasking that desire + focus into FTs and in keeping control of the ball, etc. are challenging goals. The Zags may not have many (any) close games left in WCC play but they will in NCAA Tourney play. FTs and TOs are often game outcome stats of note. Just for yadda, yadda reasons let's say the Zags are fouled eough times in a game to get 20 charity shots at the hoop. The difference between a 50 & 75% FT performance is 5 points. 5 points is a nice cushion to have in the last couple minutes of a game (especially over whatever lead one already has). A team shooting a higher FT% than the Zags are going to know it. Memphis bet a bit on poor FT shooting by Mt. K and it bit them (great for Shem!). Anywho, I'd like to see at least a couple 80+% FT games by the team before WCC play is over. Everything else considered - I think we'll need better FT shooting to make the Final Four.

kitzbuel
02-02-2015, 12:13 PM

On the post game interview, Few was talking to Calhoun about the loss of focus in the second half. Calhoun chuckled appreciatively and noted that he saw Few make some pointed comments. Few agreed but basically said that his actual comments weren't fit for TV. He and Calhoun seemed to genuinely appreciate each other and the common challenges they have had.

jagwalkley
02-02-2015, 12:36 PM
You have just hit the nail on the head. One of the best I have seen in awhile. Way better to play stiffer competition.

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Great margins of victory.

Soft opponents.

maynard g krebs
02-02-2015, 12:43 PM
The conundrum is this: Few said final 8 minutes drove him nuts; it seemed like it was at the 7 minute mark that GU went "prevent offense", trying to run clock and "protect the lead", rather than continue to do what got you the lead, i.e. feed the post and aggressively try to score, then get wide open looks if the post gets doubled.

Instead, they start dribbling the clock down to 15 seconds and Pangos heaves up a prayer as the clock expires. When you adopt that strategy, you get your players back on their heels, over-thinking rather than playing as they would, and you are passive rather than being the aggressor.

Can't argue with success or the winning % that results, but Few can't have it both ways; imo the prevent offense leads to what we saw at the end.

seacatfan
02-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Can't argue with success or the winning % that results, but Few can't have it both ways; imo the prevent offense leads to what we saw at the end.

Definitely agree. The clock becomes your friend and you don't want to take quick shots, but going into clock grinding mode tends to make a team passive and inefficient. If you are really lucky you have a PG that can work this to perfection and get to the rim at will, or drive and dish to a teammate for a wide open look inside of 5 seconds on the shot clock, but very few teams have that luxury.

seasontixholder
02-02-2015, 01:28 PM
As far as I am concerned, Coach Few juggled several dozen considerations and managed an 18 point win properly. Was he happy about coulda woulda shoulda ... of course not, coaches never are.

Are KP or GBJ boneheads for not performing optimally when Memphis was in a desperate pressing situation ... obviously not. Operating with a cushion, they got the job done reasonably.

If I had a wish, it would be that everyone could see these games in person, in order to understand how this team functions. There's a dynamic that cannot be grasped through a TV lens. Karnowski is our key. When he is benched, then we are a little vulnerable. When he is on the court, then we are who we are--a very good defensive team that can hold off just about anyone in the country. That was so apparent during the last 2+ minutes, when Few made the call for his reappearance.

Game. Set. Match.

DixieZag
02-02-2015, 01:30 PM
The conundrum is this: Few said final 8 minutes drove him nuts; it seemed like it was at the 7 minute mark that GU went "prevent offense", trying to run clock and "protect the lead", rather than continue to do what got you the lead, i.e. feed the post and aggressively try to score, then get wide open looks if the post gets doubled.

Instead, they start dribbling the clock down to 15 seconds and Pangos heaves up a prayer as the clock expires. When you adopt that strategy, you get your players back on their heels, over-thinking rather than playing as they would, and you are passive rather than being the aggressor.

Thank You

And, it's not like we haven't seen it play out this way dozens of times before. In fact, just for symmetry's sake, we can just look to the last time we played Memphis to see how it worked.

CDC is right about "compete with themselves" - Instead of milking it up 20, make the game, "Win by 25." And, the thought, "well, we could press too hard and give up the lead" carries no weight b/c that's exactly what happens in the prevent.

Sorry, touched a nerve, there.