View Full Version : Negative Nancies

BULLDOG#1
02-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Readings some posts this morning, I read some things I couldn't believe:

- we shouldn't jump VA
- worst 18 point win
- sabonis/melson selfish
- etc. etc.

This coming off of a win from a highly athletic coached team.
And, this team is off to the best start in GU history.

This team has exceeded my expectations from top to bottom. Finding faults at this point is a bit nit-picky, but ok... Flaming a 22-1 team for an 18 point win is a bit bizarre.

zagamatic
02-01-2015, 11:07 AM
I'd rather see the negative Nancy comments than the bullying comments. I'm beyond tired of the people on here who continue to try and bully everyone into conformity. At least the negative Nancy comments are trying to be constructive criticism most of the time. Instead of coming up with a logical counterpoint, lots of people instead end up taking cheap shots and flat out being rude little d-bags.

Marcus
02-01-2015, 11:16 AM
So far this season, I have been in both camps. I have done some hand wringing and nit picking about certain things but have also been able to enjoy each win immensely. For me some of the negativity comes from not wanting to get too excited just in case the big letdown happens in March. It might seem silly to some but I was so disappointed after the Wichita St. loss that I have been talking myself out of just how good this team really is solely out of self preservation.

Having said that, watching the Memphis game, something changed for me. I, like many others, have followed the mantra about what happens when we face the "athletes" come March. So far we have faced, Georgia, St Johns, Arizona and now Memphis all of whom are the type of teams we worry about in March. We have met every challenge and even though it was a loss in Arizona we controlled most of the game. This Gonzaga team is the team that can overcome that difference.

I am no longer worried about the usual stuff. Will I still get worked up during the game? Sure. Do I think the team is beyond some criticism from us fans, no, there will always be stuff that needs tweaking. Will the team have a bad break or a loss early in the tournament? Maybe. One thing I belive now more than ever is that this team is really, really good. The challenges and tests keep coming in different ways and they continue to find ways to pass every one. Go Zags!!!

jchocolate99
02-01-2015, 11:34 AM
hahaha so is everyone suppose to just drink kool-aid and pretend there aren't things this team can't fix in order to reach the goals we know this team is capable of??? This board cracks me up sometimes... the end last night wasn't good point blank. Yes we won by 18 but to pretend this team didnt get laxed at the end of the game and had difficulty adjusting to the press is a bit much to me. Yes we're all enjoying this team but nothing wrong with pointing out faults and complaining and nothing wrong with drinking the kool-aid and praising. This is a Gonzaga discussion board and both spectrum's create discussion amongst the fans of the board. Not directing all this towards you OP but seeing way to many posters trying to jump on people that have differing opinions that might not always be positive towards this team.

TheZagPhish
02-01-2015, 11:35 AM
At least the negative Nancy comments are trying to be constructive criticism most of the time.

Constructive in what way?

maynard g krebs
02-01-2015, 12:23 PM
I would be pleased if we could change the thread title to "Nattering Nabobs of Negativity". I believe it to be one of the greatest phrases ever coined, and Spiro Agnew's lasting contribution to Western civilization.

I don't think the OP was complaining about constructive criticism, i.e. the kind we hear from CDC as the best example that comes to mind, but rather the ill-considered and gratuitious stuff.

zagamatic
02-01-2015, 12:31 PM

I meant trying to be constructive by pointing out the flaws perceived by the person who posted it so it can be fixed.

Which points out the major flaw in all of this which is that we can discuss anything good or bad and it ultimately makes little to no difference because it's not like anyone on the team is coming here for advice. But it's easy as fans to get wrapped up in the moment and be passionate for the good or the bad hoping that somehow it makes a difference. We as fans come here for an outlet to discuss "our team". Obviously there's going to be a difference of opinion, but lately especially there seems to be a lot of name calling, detrimental comments, etc.

Section 116
02-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Regarding Gonzaga's end of game press difficulties, although I didn't get it posted on my post game radio thread I do recall Michaelson and Hudson discussing that very issue. Obviously it will be addressed in upcoming practices. You will note in that thread Karnowski readily admitted GU was basically "out to lunch" the last five minutes of the game. And here is a Few quote from Meehan's Day After," For the most part, I loved how we handled the physicality and athleticism of the game. We got a little sloppy at the end but that’s stuff we can address in practice.” Few was quoted several times this week about fans enjoying the ride which is this season and not just focusing on the end game. Of all the things GU basketball has accomplished since this journey began in 1999 essentially, we have never seen the likes of a 22-1 team.

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 12:48 PM
I don't think it is negative nanny whatevers if a person is pointing out weaknesses that are exactly the same as things the coaches and players are pointing out after the game. Bell just was quoted as saying that they got a little ragged (or something) at the end, but good to get the win. There were coach comments about rebounding, etc. So, if the same things are discussed here, just seen by posters, why is that negative whatevers?

I don't get it.

Oregonzagnut
02-01-2015, 01:09 PM
I thought the game was one of our best games of the year. Poetry in motion. So many plays were run like a dance. We had balance, teamwork, timing, athleticism and choreography. Sure there are some things to work on and freshman always try to push themselves too far, but all in all, Im glad Few let them play with the emotion long enough that lets the five of them get into the zone all at the same time. Thats poetry in motion! And I saw that last night.

Plus. I loved how every time Pastner and their coaches were shown on TV they just looked dumbfounded. Dare I say we were better at every position.

Mantua
02-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Readings some posts this morning, I read some things I couldn't believe:

- we shouldn't jump VA
- worst 18 point win
- sabonis/melson selfish
- etc. etc.

This coming off of a win from a highly athletic coached team.
And, this team is off to the best start in GU history.

This team has exceeded my expectations from top to bottom. Finding faults at this point is a bit nit-picky, but ok... Flaming a 22-1 team for an 18 point win is a bit bizarre.

I think a lot of fans are looking ahead to March and trying to figure out how we can win against well coached athletic teams. Memphis didn't match up to our size, but other teams will and have longer guards to boot. I am always looking for the progress and learning that will reassure me that the team can withstand much better competition. The traps, quickness, rebounding and going after the posts in mobs to strip the ball all gave us trouble. I thought the Zag's would be a little better prepared. At the same time I am considering how they are going to solve problems, I am relishing every second of watching GU basketball and love these kids. I don't see that wanting them to succeed and truly believing that they can is a negative thing. Good teams need to improve throughout the season because their competition is working hard too.

zag67
02-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Bulldog#1, I am probably one of those that you may be talking about. I think that they are doing great things and after the coaches and team find they had trouble against some offenses and defenses, they seem to improve on that in the next games. I believe that you have to have some adversity to improve.

As far as where we should be rated, I think that Kentucky is by far the number 1 at this time. I think that Duke, Virginia, Gonzaga are in the next tier. And then you have another group that is right below them. I do not care which of us is 2,3, or 4 at this time, but I think that the rest of the season will allow the pollsters to pick the correct order.

TheZagPhish
02-01-2015, 04:11 PM
I don't think it is negative nanny whatevers if a person is pointing out weaknesses that are exactly the same as things the coaches and players are pointing out after the game. Bell just was quoted as saying that they got a little ragged (or something) at the end, but good to get the win. There were coach comments about rebounding, etc. So, if the same things are discussed here, just seen by posters, why is that negative whatevers?

I don't get it.

Difference in perspective. I tend to be in the always-see-the-positive camp and from there it sometimes seems that no amount of excellence can adequately satisfy those fans who pore over deficiencies, weaknesses and forthcoming challenges.

I get what you're saying though, and it's actually really helpful. While I tend to be reacting to a particular event - a win, a gaudy record, et al - others are projecting forward and spotting potential pitfalls. The latter, if I'm getting this right, is not criticism so much as slightly nervous hopefulness. You're lining up the current state with the desired future state and weighing risks in between.

I think a lot of fans are looking ahead to March and trying to figure out how we can win against well coached athletic teams. Memphis didn't match up to our size, but other teams will and have longer guards to boot. I am always looking for the progress and learning that will reassure me that the team can withstand much better competition.

Bulldog#1, I am probably one of those that you may be talking about. I think that they are doing great things and after the coaches and team find they had trouble against some offenses and defenses, they seem to improve on that in the next games. I believe that you have to have some adversity to improve.

Thanks for breaking that down a bit. I appreciate it.

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-01-2015, 04:34 PM
I'd rather see the negative Nancy comments than the bullying comments. I'm beyond tired of the people on here who continue to try and bully everyone into conformity. At least the negative Nancy comments are trying to be constructive criticism most of the time. Instead of coming up with a logical counterpoint, lots of people instead end up taking cheap shots and flat out being rude little d-bags.

This

We come here because we all share one thing in common, we love Gonzaga basketball. This is a discussion forum, I don't see why it should be an issue to want to discuss things about the team whether good or bad. Instead if you say something that is critical you get personal attacks upon you. (From some individuals, I do appreciate others who are willing to discuss and provide counter points to my point of view.)

jazzdelmar
02-01-2015, 04:48 PM
This

We come here because we all share one thing in common, we love Gonzaga basketball. This is a discussion forum, I don't see why it should be an issue to want to discuss things about the team whether good or bad. Instead if you say something that is critical you get personal attacks upon you. (From some individuals, I do appreciate others who are willing to discuss and provide counter points to my point of view.)

Amen.

maynard g krebs
02-01-2015, 04:58 PM
This

Well, you need to understand that people will respond viscerally to the tone of how you present your criticisms. Last night you started a thread with the title "worst 18 point win I've seen". That's a deliberately polarizing way to start a thread; it's like you're picking a fight, and then you complain about "personal attacks" you get in response.

It would have been possible to start the thread with something like "concerns about last night's game", and then say something like "good win (and maybe mention some of the things the Zags did well; I could list several that led to the 63-39 margin), but I'm concerned with the offensive boards given up and turnovers against tourney teams."

If you presented it that way, you'd be likely to get people to respond in kind. Offensive posts lead to defensive posts in response, and you get a polarized thread. You're not as innocent as you want to portray yourself as here.

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-01-2015, 05:00 PM
I expressed an opinion, which I feel contained valid concerns.
I certainly did not invite personal attacks.

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2015, 05:02 PM
The entitlement mentality amongst some of the debbie downers is nauseating.

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-01-2015, 05:06 PM
The entitlement mentality amongst some of the debbie downers is nauseating.

I'd love for you to explain the entitlement mentality.

seasontixholder
02-01-2015, 05:11 PM
This thread got trolldelmar's goat. Good enough for me.

Zagdawg
02-01-2015, 05:13 PM
Lol

jazzdelmar
02-01-2015, 05:14 PM
This thread got trolldelmar's goat. Good enough for me.

Bully boy.

Why did you find it necessary to denigrate my name?

Here, let me patronize you now. Simply, that shoud be ez for u, say "got jazz stirred. Worth the thread "

maynard g krebs
02-01-2015, 05:27 PM
I expressed an opinion, which I feel contained valid concerns.
I certainly did not invite personal attacks.

I just looked back at the thread and didn't see anything close to a personal attack on you; just stuff like "this thread blows" and "terrible thread". Nothing personal there imo; both well in line with thread title. You may have expressed an opinion which you felt contained valid concerns, as you said. The issue is the manner in which you did it; you earned the above responses.

Zagceo
02-01-2015, 06:51 PM
I just looked back at the thread and didn't see anything close to a personal attack on you; just stuff like "this thread blows" and "terrible thread". Nothing personal there imo; both well in line with thread title. You may have expressed an opinion which you felt contained valid concerns, as you said. The issue is the manner in which you did it; you earned the above responses.

OK if a majority of posters are agreeing with OP and contribute to the dialogue on said OP……….why should it be acceptable to bud in like a 3rd grader a say something like "this thread blows" or "terrible thread" when a majority of the people contributing are agreeing with OP? Sometimes people take critiquing a basketball game like an attack on a family member. I don't agree with a lot of opinions but I'm not taking any of the critics personally. This is a forum to discuss GU basketball and saying "this thread blows" or " terrible thread" is weak minded and taking the basketball discussions way to personally IMO. Most of the time threads end with no one remember them. The ability to ignore posters was created for a reason. I suggest trying it more often. :)

GO ZAGS

ZaGranny
02-01-2015, 07:24 PM
Well, you need to understand that people will respond viscerally to the tone of how you present your criticisms. Last night you started a thread with the title "worst 18 point win I've seen". That's a deliberately polarizing way to start a thread; it's like you're picking a fight, and then you complain about "personal attacks" you get in response.

It would have been possible to start the thread with something like "concerns about last night's game", and then say something like "good win (and maybe mention some of the things the Zags did well; I could list several that led to the 63-39 margin), but I'm concerned with the offensive boards given up and turnovers against tourney teams."

If you presented it that way, you'd be likely to get people to respond in kind. Offensive posts lead to defensive posts in response, and you get a polarized thread. You're not as innocent as you want to portray yourself as here.

You said just what I was thinking.

ZaGranny

thespywhozaggedme
02-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Not only not satisifed with an 18 point victory, but expecting an 18 point victory to be "prettier" than it was. That thread was the height of self indulgence.
I'd love for you to explain the entitlement mentality.

JPtheBeasta
02-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Is there another rebuttal other than "drinking the kool-aid?" It has become a platitude with no rhetorical value, and is actually pretty morbid and flippant when discussing something as trivial as college athletics.

jchocolate99
02-01-2015, 08:41 PM

By saying "This thread blows" and "terrible thread" it can be viewed as a personal attack because the OP had an opinion that he wanted to discuss on a gonzaga discussion board and the thread that the OP started was attacked which is an attack on the OP rather you want to think so or not

How he titled his thread can be debated but the fact of the matter is what he stated in his thread was not far off from what some of us fans thought during the game. Rather you agreed or not doesn't give someone the right to put down a thread that a fellow fan started. Once again ill reiterated this is a GONZAGA DISCUSSION BOARD which means its a place for fellow fans to gather and discuss gonzaga basketball amongst other fellow fans. If he was being derogatory in his post that would be one thing and would be a matter for the mods to handle. His post was an opinion that he had that other fans might have shared like me in regards to our end play. There have been threads that were very trivial that could be debated to their relevancy to GU basketball that always gets posted on this board that don't get attacked. We have many fans and guest that lurk this board that might share our excitement for GU basketball but might be hesistant to post for fear of their opinions being put down. I want every fan to post relevant content about this program and keep this board active and vibrant. If you agree with a post share your thoughts... if you disagree with a post share your thoughts in a respectful manner and if you cant agree and share in a respectful manner go to the next thread.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-01-2015, 09:00 PM

Let's bully the bullies into not being bullies.

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2015, 11:28 AM
I have no big issues so far with how the Zags are playing. (I reserve the right to change on a dime, though)

That said, I have no problems with anyone expressing their opinions, negative or otherwise. A few of you that spend all day and night on these boards shouldn't take someone else's opinions or criticisms as personal.

LongIslandZagFan
02-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Opinions are just that. The negative ones have theirs and the positive ones have theirs. Guess what... there are times you might disagree. Here is the funny thing though... the negative folks claim they are being bullied and want the positive people to stop disagreeing with them... thereby making themselves the bullies trying to stifle positivists. Kind of a rather fun circular argument to watch.

seasontixholder
02-02-2015, 03:08 PM
There's a difference between being an occasional critic and a relentless naysayer. Anyone ever having a spouse knows the difference between an improver an a nagger.

UberZagFan
02-02-2015, 03:21 PM
The title of this thread is offensive to all those women named Nancy. As for the men named Nancy, well they have other issues to deal with.

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2015, 03:22 PM
There's a difference between being an occasional critic and a relentless naysayer. Anyone ever having a spouse knows the difference between an improver an a nagger.

Except this is a discussion board, not a marriage.

No obligation to the spouse here (I think).

seasontixholder
02-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Except this is a discussion board, not a marriage.

No obligation to the spouse here (I think).
Who claimed that this was a marriage? A ragger is a ragger is a ragger.

TheZagPhish
02-02-2015, 03:32 PM
http://cl.ly/ZaVa/beavis-butthead-nacho-time.gif

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2015, 03:52 PM

Ask you spouse (or significant other) about that.

zagamatic
02-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Opinions are just that. The negative ones have theirs and the positive ones have theirs. Guess what... there are times you might disagree. Here is the funny thing though... the negative folks claim they are being bullied and want the positive people to stop disagreeing with them... thereby making themselves the bullies trying to stifle positivists. Kind of a rather fun circular argument to watch.

My specific problem with "bullying" refers to instances where people are being called drunks, just shut up, etc. I'm completely ok with good counterpoints or even something along the lines of take a chill pill, etc. I'm certainly not saying that everyone on here is guilty of doing it, and I'd like to believe these types of comments are meant in a joking/ribbing kind of manner. But fact is that you could easily end up calling someone who lost a loved one to a drunk driver a drunk for example. I fully admit to taking part in banter with my friends that others would likely consider offensive. But on here, I have no idea how anyone will perceive what I type.
And yes, often times posts on here will invite visceral responses, but why not create a general habit on this board of not going overboard? And yes, I'm well aware that I have written things that added a lot of heat to certain topics. For that, I apologize to anyone it may have offended. But the fact remains that I have seen many posts on here which leave little room for interpretation that the poster is trying to stop someone from expressing their opinions. Call it censorship, bullying, whatever. But does anyone honestly want that type of mentality to be acceptable on here? I don't.

seasontixholder
02-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Ask you spouse (or significant other) about that.
I'll be glad to give you the last word, hon. :)

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2015, 05:26 PM
I'll be glad to give you the last word, hon. :)

I think my point has been proven. Thanks

ZagsGoZags
02-02-2015, 06:44 PM
I only discovered this board and began participating since 2007. What I have seen since then is two types of contributors, all loving the zags in their own way:

1. The half full, half empty paradigm. These folks enjoy encouraging words, like loving parents would give to their kids, and optimism even after setbacks.

2. The hold the zags to the flame of hard reality paradigm. These folks enjoy content-based statements about basketball, how zags are stacking up, and was that a valid basketball insight

mgadfly
02-03-2015, 08:46 AM
I only discovered this board and began participating since 2007. What I have seen since then is two types of contributors, all loving the zags in their own way:

1. The half full, half empty paradigm. These folks enjoy encouraging words, like loving parents would give to their kids, and optimism even after setbacks.

2. The hold the zags to the flame of hard reality paradigm. These folks enjoy content-based statements about basketball, how zags are stacking up, and was that a valid basketball insight

I disagree (am I allowed to say that?). I think it works like this:

Person A (Half Glass Full) starts thread: THE ZAGS AR E THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO ME SINCE THAT TIME AT BAND CAMP!!! (First post contains some facts about how well the Zags are doing but is mostly the giddy opinion of a fan - on a fan message board)

Person B (Half Glass Empty) responds: You are an idiot. You don't even know how to spell "Are." There is no space between the R and the E you buffon. Why do we always have to talk about how good the Zags are, we've had this post before! (This post contains no facts, isn't about the topic in anyway, and is offensive to Person A).

Person A responds: Shut up and stop bullying me. Clearly my title was a typo, but you don't know how to spell "BUFFOON" you buffoon. Two O's idiot.

Persons C, D, E, and F all chime in on the topic of bullying until Person G posts, "Addressing the OP's point ..." and puts together the first actual response about the somewhat limited facts in the original post.

Meanwhile, on the Board elsewhere:

Person B (Glass Half Empty) starts a thread: THE ZAGS AR E DOOMED AND MARK FEW DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO COACH! (this is followed by a post with virtually no facts, a bunch of opinions, and a couple witty criticisms of the team).

Person A (Glass Half Full) posts: You are an idiot. You don't even know how to spell "Are." There is no space between the R and the E you buffon. Why do we always have to talk about how bad the Zags are, we've had this post before! (This post contains no facts, isn't about the topic in anyway, and is offensive to Person B).

Why person B can't ignore the thread by Person A, which is clearly titled in such a way that makes it obvious it is a glass half full thread, is completely beyond me.
Why person A can't ignore the thread by Person B, which is clearly titled in such a way that makes it obvious it is a glass half empty thread, is completely beyond me.

In reality both Person A and Person B are hypocritical bullies who should post significantly less and stick to their half of the threads (the parenting plan clearly calls for joint custody of the message board).

LongIslandZagFan
02-03-2015, 09:27 AM
In reality both Person A and Person B are hypocritical bullies who should post significantly less and stick to their half of the threads (the parenting plan clearly calls for joint custody of the message board).

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner.

Fact based disagreements... OK... disagreements based soley on "eye-tests"/personal opinion...

https://mastrworks.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/youre-going-to-have-a-bad-time.png

OH... and lighten up a bit folks... its just basketball.

TexasZagFan
02-03-2015, 09:30 AM
The title of this thread is offensive to all those women named Nancy. As for the men named Nancy, well they have other issues to deal with.

I agree. To correct this grievous error, I recommend they be referred to as pusillanimous rapscallions. My 4 year old grandson loves "rapscallion."

I've gone back and reviewed the top-25 recruiting classes for the past five years, and I did not find Gonzaga on any of those lists. I can only marvel at how Coach Few and his staff develop these young men. I'll start worrying about ugly 18 point victories when we start nabbing Burger Boys annually.

I do admit to trepidation over our lackluster FT shooting, though.

cjm720
02-03-2015, 09:30 AM
I'm just enjoying the ride....best season to date EVER...wooohoooo! Go Zags!! #trendingup #lovethesezags

TexasZagFan
02-03-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm just enjoying the ride....best season to date EVER...wooohoooo! Go Zags!! #trendingup #lovethesezags

We've come a long way since Adrian Buoncristiani

MickMick
02-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Attention internet bullies.

I will lose all negativity once I am convinced that the team will not melt with five minutes left in a big game. I am not yet convinced. I am encouraged, however, that Mark Few intends to address this.

Angelo Roncalli
02-03-2015, 10:09 AM

Ever noctice how much Tyler Haws resembles Beavis?

Zagceo
02-03-2015, 10:29 AM

How about since Gino Cerchial? Injuries caused team to reach down into the intramural leagues. (80's) He even got playing time!

SteelZag
02-03-2015, 10:59 AM

Yeah, but you could sit almost anywhere you wanted to.

gonzagafan62
02-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Is there another rebuttal other than "drinking the kool-aid?" It has become a platitude with no rhetorical value, and is actually pretty morbid and flippant when discussing something as trivial as college athletics.

Nobody answered you because nobody has a logical explanation. People get scared around here. :adored:

:)

'62

Mantua
02-03-2015, 01:36 PM
I'm struggling with the "glass half full" and "glass half empty" analogies.

Maybe the glass is 75% full, but if you add some kool-aide, the glass is 90% full.

Zagceo
02-03-2015, 01:39 PM

Maybe the glass is 75% full, but if you add some kool-aide, the glass is 90% full.

Then 10% Ketel one and you'll be giving 110% !

Birddog
02-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Ever noctice how much Tyler Haws resembles Beavis?

Priceless!

TexasZagFan
02-04-2015, 05:16 AM
Yeah, but you could sit almost anywhere you wanted to.

I was a member of the Snake Pit, the ancestral father of the Kennel Club. "Vicious" is an understatement of the verbiage we used. We were just a sleepy little school back then, toiling for a spot in the upper half in the Big Sky standings.

I still have my Bulldogs seat cushion, but that's another story in the lore of ROTC cadets of that era.

JPtheBeasta
02-04-2015, 06:17 AM
Nobody answered you because nobody has a logical explanation. People get scared around here. :adored:

:)

'62

If you put on rose-colored glasses, most liquids look like kool-aid. I'm afraid to drink pretty much anything at this point :]

JPtheBeasta
02-04-2015, 06:19 AM

What happens when the glass if half empty, but it's kool-aid? I think it might take a DeLorean and some stolen plutonium to figure that one out.

willandi
02-04-2015, 07:26 AM
You can't print a positive without a negative, unless you go digital.

bballbeachbum
02-04-2015, 11:35 AM
yeah, so what is it when someone calls others polly because they're seeing things in the positive? a loving kiss? sorry, but the only bullied ones here are the kids who represent your school who get disrespectfully ripped and have no voice here to defend themselves. good grief