PDA

View Full Version : Post-Sabonis post fallout and what I saw vs Memphis

kreese555
02-01-2015, 01:05 AM
I had to work during the game so I wasn't able to intently watch, but we had the game on at my bar and I had it recording at home so was able to rewatch it.

My initial thoughts, after receiving so much flak for my criticisms a couple of days ago, were to watch Sabonis and Melson to see how they played today in regards to what I said about them the other day. There's not much to say about Melson, as I don't believe he showed enough to say either way however Domantas was absolutely fantastic. A perfect performance? No. He could have been stronger with his hands and kept the ball up at his chest the few times he got stripped (and triple teamed), but I believe that was a direct result of his head being up looking to pass to the perimeter. And he executed a lot of really really good passes tonight. If ever I wanted him to vindicate my earlier statements, he just flat out did not. A fantastic game out of him, and really a testament to his shallow learning curve. He looked like a veteran tonight, and I'm really proud of him (even if it means I have to eat crow). Night and day between his last game and this.

As far as this win goes, I am happy to see them be able to push it back out to an 18 point victory when so much was going wrong. Please rewatch the game and count how many times the offensive/defensive rebound took a weird bounce and ended up in their hands for points. Or how many times a loose ball looked to be going our way and inexplicably went the other way. A lot of bad luck tonight, stupid turnovers, lazy passes and loose balls and the Zags still won by 18.

That late Memphis press is a real and serious concern for me, as I've seen it break our hearts before. We were forced to call way too many TOs and caught in way too many compromising situations for anyone to ignore it. My nightmare? A tournament team (West Va?) meets us and sees that tape, decides to press us for a majority of the game and we buckle. Gotta practice the press break. A lot.

Zagger
02-01-2015, 03:55 AM
Maybe the ball was over-inflated? :)
Yep - press practice. And maybe some FT practice for others from Mt. K!

montanazag88
02-01-2015, 06:21 AM
Did anyone else think EM was not phased by the press?

Zagger
02-01-2015, 06:50 AM
Did anyone else think EM was not phased by the press?
Eric is impressive + I still think he's not 100% recovered from his foot injury. I feel his contributions to the team will only improve as he settles into the team more and heals up further. This Memphis games shows how hard the Zags are to beat. And they certainly are not getting easier to beat.

JPtheBeasta
02-01-2015, 07:37 AM
What I saw end was a team that was getting the ball to Pangos and wanting him to hold on to the ball and get fouled. They didn't pass the ball up court much, despite Memphis flattening out the trap and having 3 guys down on the inbounds line. A few over the top passes, or passes to midcourt, would get a team out that kind of press in a hurry.

montanazag88
02-01-2015, 08:15 AM
A pass to Pangos in the corner of the end line is not a strategy. Agree on getting to best passing big man and putting our speed on the run.

Marcus
02-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Sabonis is just a flat out stud. He is so much more athletic than I thought coming into the season. He may not be able to jump out of the gym but he has great body control and is quick. Memphis has great athletes and Sabonis could still do what he wanted. He is the X factor come March.

CdAZagFan
02-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Sabonis is really starting to round out his game - making good passes out of the double teams, and driving to the basket with a purpose. I thought both Shem and Sabonis were starting to go to their right a little more earlier in the season - would like to see them change it up and go right more often, but even when it is anticipated they will go left they are still hard to stop.