PDA

View Full Version : OK, What do the POLLS say by Monday at noon?

ZagsGoZags
01-31-2015, 09:59 PM
Personally, I don't think we should jump Virginia, based on my perception of overall quality of both teams,
each with one 'quality' loss,
but if it happens, it happens, and I will be Ok with it

JAGzag
01-31-2015, 10:02 PM
Personally, I don't think we should jump Virginia, based on my perception of overall quality of both teams,
each with one 'quality' loss,
but if it happens, it happens, and I will be Ok with it

Won't be surprised if Duke jumps us for the #2 slot.

hooter73
01-31-2015, 10:08 PM
2, 3, 4 is a tight race. doesnt much matter who is where in those spots imo. #1 and #5 are the ones to watch.

Akzag
01-31-2015, 10:12 PM

Agree ... we all realize that we benefit from a linear ranking - someone above loses, we move up - but Duke has undoubtedly better wins ( and yes, more losses ). I wouldn't even cringe if we drop ( gasp ) to #4 to accommodate Virginia dropping a single spot while the Blue Devils take over 2nd.

tyko
01-31-2015, 10:18 PM
Do you guys think Duke can jump two spots in the polls after going 1-1 on the week?

Akzag
01-31-2015, 10:35 PM
Do you guys think Duke can jump two spots in the polls after going 1-1 on the week?

I wouldn't have ranked us that high to begin with ...

seasontixholder
01-31-2015, 10:50 PM
WE'RE NUMBER TWO!!!

tyko
01-31-2015, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't have ranked us that high to begin with ...

I get that, for sure. But #3 is where we are. It would be kind of weird to see Duke jump two spots after losing during the week.

KStyles
02-01-2015, 12:10 AM

I'd be surprised if Duke jumps GU with their loss to Notre Dame this week.

TravelinZag
02-01-2015, 12:27 AM
The Zags control their fate to a great extent. If they run the table or (gasp!) lose one game, they'll be fine in the polls, in the seeds, and in the site. Working on a post to explain why.

ZagMan in Philly
02-01-2015, 03:24 AM
SOLID!

WE'RE NUMBER TWO!!!

Zagger
02-01-2015, 03:48 AM
2 or 3 or 4 - I don't mind. I just hope we get to play one or more of these teams this season.
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/gozagstinysignguyglassescolor.png

zag67
02-01-2015, 05:33 AM
Zagged, I agree. All of t,hat is too close to call. Losing to 8 and beating 2 in the same week and beating them on the road is very hard. I think any of the three is a solid number. We have 4 weeks to go.

gonzagafan62
02-01-2015, 05:50 AM

jagwalkley
02-01-2015, 09:04 AM
We should be real happy being at# 4.I love our team as much as anyone,but to much kool-aid can give you a gut ache later.Remember,we are the "little engine that could" but ???

TacomaZAG
02-01-2015, 10:16 AM
I think we drop to #4.................here's why.

Kentucky stays at #1
Duke jumps to #2 based on their 3 HUGE road wins (Virginia, Wisc., one other) ND loss not a bad loss.
Virginia drops to #3, they are a better 1-loss team than we are right now based on overall competition
ZAGS at #4

Or so says my magic 8-ball. Actually, I don't care where we are ranked as long as we get a 1 or 2 seed in the Dance.

Go ZAGS

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 10:23 AM
I think it stays exactly the same. Duke lost to ND and we saw that ND isn't all that b/c they went right out and lost the next game. Duke beat UVA on the road, so they don't fall and stay 4. I think UVA isn't punished for one loss in a game they pretty well controlled and stays two. We just hang where we are with a decent win over a middle weight OOC team.

23dpg
02-01-2015, 10:27 AM
I think it stays exactly the same. Duke lost to ND and we saw that ND isn't all that b/c they went right out and lost the next game. Duke beat UVA on the road, so they don't fall and stay 4. I think UVA isn't punished for one loss in a game they pretty well controlled and stays two. We just hang where we are with a decent win over a middle weight OOC team.

I mostly agree with this and what others are saying.

If we're number 2, I'm excited.
If we're number 3, I'm happy.
If we're number 4, I'm still ok with it.

Question. Who was the number 3 team in the nation at this point last year?
Answer. It doesn't matter.

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 10:41 AM
I mostly agree with this and what others are saying.

If we're number 2, I'm excited.
If we're number 3, I'm happy.
If we're number 4, I'm still ok with it.

Question. Who was the number 3 team in the nation at this point last year?
Answer. It doesn't matter.

You are right, ultimately, it doesn't matter. However, I still think it matters in subtle ways. The biggest is likely in recruiting. Last night, we had two prized recruits sitting in the stands, watching all the excitement with ESPN across the way and somewhere in their heads, something like "This is the number 2 or 3 team in the nation" went through. And, I think that matters.

And, each week we spend in the top 5 at any time, in any year, just keeps pounding the brand into people's brains. It would sure be nice to match it up with a March to remember.

23dpg
02-01-2015, 10:46 AM
I agree that being ranked is important and being top ten more so. But the minutiae of 2 vs 3 vs 4 doesn't. I doubt any recruit says, "Hmmm I'd go to Gonzaga if they were only ranked one spot higher".

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 10:53 AM
I agree that being ranked is important and being top ten more so. But the minutiae of 2 vs 3 vs 4 doesn't. I doubt any recruit says, "Hmmm I'd go to Gonzaga if they were only ranked one spot higher".

True.

I was just thinking about high rankings generally, not one or two spots.

jim77
02-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Zags will be #2.....Duke doesn't have anything for Shem and Sabonis either.

gonzagafan62
02-01-2015, 11:05 AM
I think we drop to #4.................here's why.

Kentucky stays at #1
Duke jumps to #2 based on their 3 HUGE road wins (Virginia, Wisc., one other) ND loss not a bad loss.
Virginia drops to #3, they are a better 1-loss team than we are right now based on overall competition
ZAGS at #4

Or so says my magic 8-ball. Actually, I don't care where we are ranked as long as we get a 1 or 2 seed in the Dance.

Go ZAGS

Beating two teams by 18 doesn't make sense being dropped especially when one of the two teams has 3 losses.... 2 losses to unranked teams and the other one earlier in the week. Duke should sit where try are. Wouldn't mind seeing us #3 again but I would be slightly dissapointed ... That's just me though... :) '62

tyko
02-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Polls are about inertia as much as they are about who is the better team. If you go 2-0, and the team one spot ahead goes 1-1, the team that lost should drop, even if they are the better team. As for Duke, I would love for GU to someday have the favoritism that could allow people to discuss them leapfrogging two spots in the polls after a loss the previous week.

CDC84
02-01-2015, 12:05 PM
On a semi-related note, it'll be interesting to see how Virginia responds to the Duke loss on Monday. The polls will be out before the game, but they have to play at North Carolina. I'm sure they would rather play at home against Boston College or something.

maynard g krebs
02-01-2015, 12:18 PM
I don't really care too much about whether the Zags are 2,3,4, or 5. How do you compare the Zags' record to Duke's 3 losses v their top 5 or top 10 wins on the road? Totally subjective, and the polls are just an aggregate of a bunch of opinions, none of which can be definitively be called right. I'd be fine with the Zags behind Duke and Va, both of whom have better wins. In the big picture it doesn't matter much.

MDABE80
02-01-2015, 07:31 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/top25

no change tonight............ virginia's resume is too strong compared to ours. Of course they've only lost one game and it WAS duke. VA led most of that game till the last few minutes. I kinda thought they wouldn'tlose ground. More worries about Duke overtaking us.

ZagaZags
02-01-2015, 11:35 PM
http://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-2-50-trans.gif

titopoet
02-02-2015, 04:51 AM
I don't really care too much about whether the Zags are 2,3,4, or 5. How do you compare the Zags' record to Duke's 3 losses v their top 5 or top 10 wins on the road? Totally subjective, and the polls are just an aggregate of a bunch of opinions, none of which can be definitively be called right. I'd be fine with the Zags behind Duke and Va, both of whom have better wins. In the big picture it doesn't matter much.

The polls are a beauty contest. The really race is toward being a one seed in the west. I am looking more at Arizona and what they are doing rather than Duke. Duke has some defensive problems and I except them to drop a couple of more before the tourney. I worry about Wisconsin jumping the Zags in seeding and also possibly Arizona. The echo of the Zags have played no one will continue, but this years it is mostly the fans, and not the professional commentators. It will increase as the casual basketball fan returns after the end of the Superbowl. To the people that count, though GU is a threat and one of the top teams in the country.

I think Zags will be 2# this week, bit could easily be jumped if Virginia wins their two games this week, at NC and Louisville. (I think they split) Duke gets another shot at Notre Dame, but don't be surprise if ND wins that game too. ND has the matchups that will give Duke trouble. The buzzcuts losing a couple would be nice, but I don't think they have a challenge in the couple of weeks.

Zaglaw
02-02-2015, 05:22 AM
#3. Virginia is not going to drop because of a loss to Duke, and Duke is not going to jump us. The win over Virginia does not erase Duke's prior 3 losses.

Reborn
02-02-2015, 06:10 AM
I think Gonzaga will drop to #4 and Duke will move into #2. Virginia will drop to #3.

Go Zags!!!

Sarenyon
02-02-2015, 06:44 AM
I agree with Reborn. The toughness of the ACC really was shown in that game on Saturday and our "lesser conference" will have some impact on the voters. Expecting a 4 ranking.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
02-02-2015, 08:41 AM

yep great points...it is all about seeding. jmho

We prolly go to #2 though...I'll take Jazz mans word for it from this weekend.

tinfoilzag
02-02-2015, 08:56 AM
It's the difference between how it should work and how it does work.

I would say we should be ranked #3 or #4 because Duke and Virginia have beaten better competition (see conferences). Because a team ranked above us lost and we didn't, we might be looking at a #2 ranking.

Whatever ranking gets us a 1 seed in the tournament is the ranking I want.

JPtheBeasta
02-02-2015, 08:57 AM
yep great points...it is all about seeding. jmho

It was awesome when we made it to #1 for the first time in school history, and I really did relish that for a bit. Usually, I don't care much because whenever I get indignant about it, Gonzaga has a humbling defeat or gets seeded much worse than the polls would seem to reflect (I used to get worked up over this a lot back in the day, not fully understanding the difference between the polling process and seeding process).

I would add that a major concern right now for me would be establishing someone as a reliable and confident backup for Pangos at PG. I'm not sure if this or seeding (which is so big) is going to contribute more to our tournament success, overall, but it doesn't have to a choice between one or the other, anyway...

Sarenyon
02-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Well the AP reporters have us at 2 now. Huh... guess I'm happily wrong.

gonzagafan62
02-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Well the AP reporters have us at 2 now. Huh... guess I'm happily wrong.

This ain't last year's Wichita state.

:)

'62

Ballguy
02-02-2015, 09:27 AM
#2!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12268212/kentucky-wildcats-unanimous-no-1-associated-press-men-basketball-poll

MDABE80
02-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Look at the teams behind us in this poll. I wouldn't want to play ANY of em!. They play incredibly difficult schedules. Toughens them and makes them perish simply get better. We have a fancy record and a very good team but wow........we just don't have their level of competition.

USA today's sent forth their seeding this morning. Kentucky, Virginia, Arizona and Gonzaga. We wuz robbed at AZ but they are sooooo much better at this point in the season. Are we?

rennis
02-02-2015, 09:45 AM
We wuz robbed at AZ but they are sooooo much better at this point in the season. Are we?

How do you figure?

seasontixholder
02-02-2015, 09:54 AM
To those nearly guaranteeing a slot at #4: remember this for future reference about how polls work. And let it sink in.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
02-02-2015, 10:08 AM
It was awesome when we made it to #1 for the first time in school history, and I really did relish that for a bit. Usually, I don't care much because whenever I get indignant about it, Gonzaga has a humbling defeat or gets seeded much worse than the polls would seem to reflect (I used to get worked up over this a lot back in the day, not fully understanding the difference between the polling process and seeding process).

I would add that a major concern right now for me would be establishing someone as a reliable and confident backup for Pangos at PG. I'm not sure if this or seeding (which is so big) is going to contribute more to our tournament success, overall, but it doesn't have to a choice between one or the other, anyway...

Those are great points. Logical for sure and powerful. When all is said and done... being at full strength and peaking at the right time pretty much trumps everything. If we lost say to St. Mary's and then by conference tourney time had EM and/or Perks giving KP rest and the team depth as reliable backup/backups that may be a very fair trade off.

Hoopaholic
02-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Look at the teams behind us in this poll. I wouldn't want to play ANY of em!. They play incredibly difficult schedules. Toughens them and makes them perish simply get better. We have a fancy record and a very good team but wow........we just don't have their level of competition.

USA today's sent forth their seeding this morning. Kentucky, Virginia, Arizona and Gonzaga. We wuz robbed at AZ but they are sooooo much better at this point in the season. Are we?

without a doubt we are much improved

Sabonis is no longer an out of control wild man with a huge motor he has refined his play to D1 and American style basketball, has bought into defense on the block and has kept his motor running while getting comfortable

Shem continues to improve each week

Melson and McClellan are positive additions in key areas for the team game

ZagsGoZags
02-02-2015, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=MDABE80;1079853]Look at the teams behind us in this poll. I wouldn't want to play ANY of em!. They play incredibly difficult schedules. Toughens them and makes them perish simply get better. We have a fancy record and a very good team but wow........we just don't have their level of competition.

Big Abe sometimes your comments crack me up, and I feel exactly the way you do. I WOULD want to play some of them but it aint so. We DID play one of them, and lost. Sometimes I wish the OCO was after the WCC plays its schedule rather than before, because in the Dance sometimes by the time we get slapped in the face and told 'wake up this is the big time' -- it is too late.

I love being ranked #2. That's great. But what do I say when some teen-age punk from the East asks "Who Have You Beat?"

seasontixholder WE'RE NUMBER TWO - how did you know?

tyko
02-02-2015, 06:43 PM
To those nearly guaranteeing a slot at #4: remember this for future reference about how polls work. And let it sink in.

Exactly. You generally don't get to go up when you lost and the team ahead of you didn't.
Also note Duke dropping to #5 in the Coaches Poll.

GU69
02-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Dropped from 3rd to 4th on Kenpom.com.

zagamatic
02-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Just imagine the speculation if Kentucky loses at home to Georgia tomorrow after we beat Georgia on a neutral court? Not just here, but nationally.

gonzagafan62
02-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Just imagine the speculation if Kentucky loses at home to Georgia tomorrow after we beat Georgia on a neutral court? Not just here, but nationally.

Yeah that would be cool. I kinda figured we would move past Virginia ... They don have the killer instinct history and duke has lost earlier in the week so I thought we would be number 2. That being said if that happens no way should we be number one. Kentucky would have to lose three times for me. Even if they lost both this week id still have them number one. The gap between them and the rest of the NCAA is just unreal. That being said we have a tough road trip in the Bay Area that always is tough. We will be lucky to go unscathed... We better watch it ....