PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Memphis....post game thoughts

Reborn
01-31-2015, 09:29 PM
It was a fun game to watch, I thought. Zags played like the #3 team in the country at times, and then they would look really bad. It was a crazy game. They scored 82 points against a pretty good defensive team. I liked that. I DID NOT like their poor foul shooting. I thought Wesley played poorly, and he hurt the Zags. At times Kevin played poorly too. Our bigs did dominate in the paint, and they held Nichols down pretty well. He got his 12 but shot 6-16. I thought the Zags defended him well. Karnowsky was a load for them to handle, scoring 17 points and shot really well from the foul line (9-12). As a team the Zags shot 22-32 from the line. I really liked how they attacked the basket tonight. Sabonis ended up with a double-double with 13 and 11. Once again he was really tough. Our defense was terrific in the first half, but was lousy in the second half. I'm not sure why they (the Zags) continue to let up when they are blowing a team away. Are they too nice?

Wiltjer was another player who was up and down. At times he played great and shot great, (6-11...3-4 from behind the arc). But then he would look clumsy, lacked intensity at time, looked like he needed to sleep at times. In many ways it was a strange game. Zags defense once again played pretty great holding Memphis to 35% shooting for the game, and 25% from behind the arc. However, in case you wonder how Memphis scored 64 points if they shot so purely. Well, they got 19 offensive rebounds and 14 turnovers. They took 74 shots compared to Gonzaga's shooting 47 times. That is 27 more shots.

I'll take the win by 18, although I thought they'd win by 20. They should have made two more foul shots. Darn. It was good to play a team outside of our conference who has a very athletic team, pressed well and caused some turnovers with their press. They played with all the effort any coach could want. Memphis never let up, and I give them much credit for that. Appreciated their effort and intensity throughout the game.

What Memphis taught us: That we need to do some work on how to deal with a good press. There are some very good teams that will be in March Madness who press really well. I don't think Gonzaga is ready to play a team who presses throughout the game. Zags, too often were dribbling down the sidelines and getting trapped. They did just what a pressing team wants you to do. I also thought that Memphis showed us that Gonzaga can be taken to school on the boards. Memphis got 19 offensive boards. I'm not sure what Few will do about it, but they better begin to do some work on rebounding. Rebounding has not hurt the Zags this year, but it sure did tonight. We only got outrebounded by one, but those 19 on the offensive end is just a big sore that will get bigger if the Zags don't work on it. Wiltjer especially looked weak on the boards. The other factor was that Memphis was shooting a lot of 3's and the ball was bouncing out pretty far off the rim. I would say that Gonzaga did not quiet those people who doubt the Zags' toughness. What was up with Wesley tonight. He was really out of it. He was not rebounding at all. He got one rebound on a night that we needed him to be tough. He was everything but TOUGH tonight. Few I believes needs to keep his eye on this. Dranginis was also no better on the boards. He only got 1 rebounding also.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

gonzagafan62
01-31-2015, 09:33 PM
Spot on. Your prediction was better than mine .... Although I sided with caution. Good prediction reborn!!!!

CdAZagFan
01-31-2015, 10:09 PM
It was a good win and amazing that they can look so sloppy at times and still win by 20. I wish they would work on the intensity in the second half with large leads and not worry so much about working deep into the shot clock in those instances... I want to see them go full force for all 40 minutes (if so I think we would see some 30 and 40-point wins!)

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-01-2015, 07:54 AM
What stood out to me from last night's game:

Pangos is so much quicker this season...fighting over screens to stay in front of his man and driving to the hoop. He's playing with supreme confidence on both ends of the floor. He probably should not have jacked up that loong 3 pointer late in 2nd half when Memphis was drawing closer, and Coach Few let him know with a stare after he called a timeout soon after, but when you're feeling confident you sometimes gotta just let it fly.
Gary Bell was more himself....total stud on the defensive end and knocking down 3's, making plays on offense when needed or open.
McClellan seems, understandably, more confident and ready to play prime time minutes for this team this season then perhaps Melson is. Don't hate, I love Melson and he is a star in the making, but the way McClellan can suddenly come in late 2nd half when Memphis was drawing close after being on the bench all night and cooly knock down an open 3 that, along with Bell's 3 on the next posession, kept the game out of reach for Memphis was impressive. I also noticed McClellan snap off a very quick pass to move the ball around the perimiter...believe it was the hockey assist that led to a Wiljter 3. In short, after tonight, I think McClellan should get more minutes as his handles, confidence and decision making are superior to the freshman Melson right now. He could prove key in NCAA tourney as we don't want Pangos logging 39 minutes a game.
Zags have an amazing front court rotation with PK, Wiltjer and Sabonis...they have improved as a unit and seem to know how to play with one another now. If two of them are in foul trouble at the same time, I see Coach Few going small ball with just one big (as he did tonight with just Sabonis in during one stretch) rather than play Nunez. With so much perimeter talent and depth (KD, Melson, McClellan) I think small ball in short bursts is preferable to Nunez.
I love this team! Go Zags....tighten up your tactics vs full-court pressure, concentrate on rebounding and keep up the defensive intensity (KP is setting the tone here!) and all will be well in ZagNation

Reborn
02-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Spot on. Your prediction was better than mine .... Although I sided with caution. Good prediction reborn!!!!

Thanks gonzagafan62: Gotta love them Zags!!! They have so many ways to score. Pangos was 0-5 from behind the arc, and still GU shoots 50% from behind the arc. Wiltjer played great in the second half, imo. His shooting, along with Bell's, kept Memphis at bay. It was good to see how Memphis pressed for a large part of the game, and caused some damage to the Zags. This needs to be addressed. Looking ahead, the Zags have a lot of tough games ahead of them. They had better stay focused and keep their focus on one game at a time. There are at least 4 teams that can beat the Zags if they are not prepared.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 08:14 AM
If Bell starts really feeling confident offensively, it adds another huge weapon. He dropped off some mid-season, if he starts peaking again, that offsets some of Wesley's head scratching play - I think Wes will be just fine, too. He's just in a funk.

Great Defense.

Terrifying that we have such trouble putting teams away. Will we ever learn that slowing it down late does nothing but allow the other team to comeback? Is there another team in college ball that one feels so nervous about being up 10-15 with 5:00 to play?

Goshzagit
02-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Agreed on all accounts, EXCEPT that Pangos 'played poorly'.

I thought he played brilliantly and under-appreciated. A tremendous effort by him. He had 1 bad pass that slipped out of his hands.

Yes, he shot poorly, yet he engineered every beautiful play, ignited our transition, played inspired/tough, and set up Sabonis AND Dranginis for every one of their buckets or FT's.

That is a tied game in the 1st half if not for Pangos pushing it down their throats while making awesome passes to the guys.

IF Wesley could have finished 3 of Kevin's transition/seamless passes, he would had 8-9 assists. Maybe more, since their game plan was to hack our bigs as well.

I comment on this b/c last night's play by Pangos is what we'll miss the MOST next season. He was 0-5 from 3pt, yet his passes and control of the ball was a thing of beauty.

Coach Calhoun commented on this and stated he'd be All-Conference in ANY League he played in.

One of his better POINT GUARD efforts of the entire season, imho. Major props to Pangos setting up the guys and playing well vs very good perimeter defensive squad.

ZagLawGrad
02-01-2015, 09:33 AM
What stood out to me from last night's game:
Pangos is so much quicker this season...

No doubt. This is a good sign for the Zags in March.

Reborn
02-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Agreed on all accounts, EXCEPT that Pangos 'played poorly'.

I thought he played brilliantly and under-appreciated. A tremendous effort by him. He had 1 bad pass that slipped out of his hands.

Yes, he shot poorly, yet he engineered every beautiful play, ignited our transition, played inspired/tough, and set up Sabonis AND Dranginis for every one of their buckets or FT's.

That is a tied game in the 1st half if not for Pangos pushing it down their throats while making awesome passes to the guys.

IF Wesley could have finished 3 of Kevin's transition/seamless passes, he would had 8-9 assists. Maybe more, since their game plan was to hack our bigs as well.

I comment on this b/c last night's play by Pangos is what we'll miss the MOST next season. He was 0-5 from 3pt, yet his passes and control of the ball was a thing of beauty.

Coach Calhoun commented on this and stated he'd be All-Conference in ANY League he played in.

One of his better POINT GUARD efforts of the entire season, imho. Major props to Pangos setting up the guys and playing well vs very good perimeter defensive squad.

Nice post. I totally agree. I apologize for saying he played bad, because you are so right. And his defense was really tough too, and he also rebounded terrific. Thanks for correcting my oversight.

Go Zags!!!

zag67
02-01-2015, 09:53 AM
gosh, I agree. He might not have shot well but controlled many other areas. He and the rest of the team is also learning against tall long armed defenders, that you cannot hold the ball and hope for a foul. Move the ball. Great game by Kevin and the rest of the Zags. Their defense was super when they needed it. Also Kevin played quicker on defense than I remember seeing before

OZZY
02-01-2015, 12:40 PM
KP did struggle a bit with the height of his counterpart, although in saying that it was effective screens that allowed his opponent to get cleaner looks not KP's face defence.

That 3 hit by Woolson that KP got a foul on was ridiculous! the foul was as well. Woolson was off balance when he took the shot that is why he fell down.

KP is playing defence with such intensity, you can see the fire in his expression out there.

Yes he was 0/5, but none where bad shot attempts, if he hit his usual percentage he would have had 17-20 points...and no-one would be saying he played poorly.

As has been mentioned, he runs the team, gives it direction and keeps (mostly) calm on the floor. It is a team that is one made three pointer (or properly called foul) away from being undefeated...

Someone else mentioned also that the some of the offensive rebounds given up were downright weird, the ball did not bounce the Zags way and Memphis' athleticism came through...

There was a period of about 5 minutes just after the Zags hit 25 points up that they lost their offensive patience and made some bad shot decisions....that is why Memphis pulled back the lead...

The press break will be a major focus for the Zags practice times between now and the Dance!

Still beating Memphis by 18 points is a great result...

:)

seacatfan
02-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Good observations. I also noted how dramatically better Pangos' quickness is compared to last year with the turf toe and ankle issues. He had one drive in particular, might've been coast to coast, where he just BLEW by the defender. Definitely didn't see that last year after the first month or so. I love seeing that!

Few seems to be working McClellan very slowly into the rotation. Barely played in the first half. Down the stretch though he was in there, 3 guard lineup with Pangos, Bell and McC. That looked like a good rotation for having 3 quick ball handlers on the floor.

I'm a bit concerned about Wesley. To my eye he hasn't played nearly as well during conference games as he did in OOC. He's had some decent games, but no consistency, and some games that were fairly bad. We were all excited about him being a difference maker and a guy that could get the Zags to the next level in the Tourney. The way he's been playing lately, I'm not seeing it.