PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-Memphis

Section 116
01-31-2015, 10:05 PM
Hudson and Santangelo:

They noted the Zags got exactly what they wanted out of this game. A high level opponent outside the WCC with a different kind of athlete than most WCC teams offer. Hudson noted the last 5 minutes of the game were what the Zags can anticipate against an NCAA tournament level team. Those traps really bothered our senior guards in the last 5 minutes something not expected.

Coach Michaelson:

Early in the game the Tigers were really after our bigs, but later in the game they really got after the guards. Disappointment at letting the rebound numbers even out after the Zags held the edge for most of the game. He said if Pangos had had the kind of game he had tonight (0-5 from three and 2-7 from the floor) in prior years the Zags would not have beaten Memphis. With this team they have this season there are many scoring options. This gets said over and over but the Zags have a lot of options and they are difficult to defend at all positions all the time.

Memphis had 10 steals which is a lot, probably the most this season against the Zags.

Hudson noted Sabonis had yet another double double tonight and the question going in was Sabonis going to be able to keep up his recent level of play against a team decidedly unlike a WCC team? Sabonis, of course answered the bell compiling those numbers in just 25 minutes. Santangelo and Hudson both continue to remark how Sabonis is piling up his double double numbers in the past 6 games or so in 25 minutes of so. Also another game where the Zags hold a team to low shooting percentage numbers, in this case 39%.

Karnowski:

Memphis is physical and athletic. We did a good job the first 35 minutes but we really let it slip the last 5. At one point we were up 25 and we have to run the plays we want to run and not let them dictate what they want us to run, which is what happened later in the game.

We are sharing the ball at another level now which is why you are seeing multiple guys in double figures every night. The speed of this game is really different than WCC, I knew I was going to have to run back and not let them get to the bucket for easy points. Coaches did a good job of getting us ready. The last 10 games or so I've settled down pretty good, I know what I want to do when I get the ball.

He apologized for not being Domas who Hudson thought he was going to get post game. Karnowski told Sabonis to go visit with his family, he had the interview. The SID told Hudson Sabonis would be the post game guy but Few grabbed him, so Karnowski came out. They had fun with that.

This is kind of disjointed but it's what I can recall. Michaelson noted if the Zags can get a bay area sweep this week, they can probably close the door on the rest of the WCC. However, Michaelson said this Bay Area trip is traditionally a very difficult trip for the Zags.

By the way, by and large Michaelson was not at all unhappy with the game. As always coaches say we have to clean up this, or work more on that but this was a significant win against a team that played exactly like they thought a Pastner coached team would play. They were fast, athletic and they played to the end of the game.

hooter73
01-31-2015, 10:09 PM
Can I say how impressed I am with Karnos poise after only being here two full years? That guy is a man, a leader, and a heck of a basketball player!

RenoZag
01-31-2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the radio recap, Section 116. Much appreciated.

Rangerzag
02-01-2015, 07:13 AM

Yes, another five star report. Thanks, again.

montanazag88
02-01-2015, 07:37 AM
Good to hear the players talk about not letting up at the 5 minute mark and trying to dictate the game to the end. The comments about the Bay Area swing is legit. No let downs after this would be another mark of how mentally tough this team can be.

JPtheBeasta
02-01-2015, 08:55 AM

+1.

And thanks, in general, for putting these up every night! It has become enough of a routine now, like a morning coffee, that I don't know what it would be like without them.

DixieZag
02-01-2015, 09:03 AM
This thread is one of my "can't miss" threads after each game. Thank you much.

I love hearing aspects of the game the coaches are happy about and things they want to work on, same as some post game threads that get boo'ed. I like hearing the points about what could be better.

The Bay Area trip scares me every single year.