PDA

View Full Version : Worst 18 point win I've seen

Kong-Kool-Aid
01-31-2015, 08:54 PM
Am I the only one who thinks we played very mediocre? The turnovers are very concerning, we looked sloppy and were giving away a ton of offensive rebounds. I'm concerned what will happen when we play an athletic team that don't play like a bunch of individual AAU kids trying to impress scouts.

Even though the game was never in doubt, this felt like an ugly win and certainly not heartening going forward.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-31-2015, 08:55 PM
I had the same impression of this win.

jazzdelmar
01-31-2015, 08:57 PM
50-50. There were stretches where the Zags actually looked like they had a plan But ur right, in a 2d round game vs an Ohio state or NC state this is a loss.

thespywhozaggedme
01-31-2015, 08:57 PM
Your post is one of the worst that I've read in a while.
Am I the only one who thinks we played very mediocre? The turnovers are very concerning, we looked sloppy and were giving away a ton of offensive rebounds. I'm concerned what will happen when we play an athletic team that don't play like a bunch of individual AAU kids trying to impress scouts.

Even though the game was never in doubt, this felt like an ugly win and certainly not heartening going forward.

Mantua
01-31-2015, 08:59 PM
I agree. Worrisome game, mistakes all over the place, bad free throw shooting, poor coverage under the basket on both ends and altogether lackluster.

hooter73
Its rare when we play in scramble mode and still win. Is that the sign of a good team? (KU all year lol)

Kong-Kool-Aid

So, you felt this was a good win and we played well? Or are you just being a ######?

jazzdelmar
01-31-2015, 09:00 PM
Arithmetically and as a beauty contest, sure. But 8-12 feels more right.

gonzagafan62
01-31-2015, 09:01 PM
I'll be happy with an 18 point win. We don't get to beat Memphis much. It felt good. Just be happy.

GPGUgrad
01-31-2015, 09:02 PM
Arithmetically and as a beauty contest, sure. But 8-12 feels more right.

thanks, I deleted my previous post.

My question to jazz was, do you think we are #2 worthy?

jim77
01-31-2015, 09:02 PM
Every time we go into the "prevent" we get mediocre really quick. This team is about timing...and when they slow it way down they seem out of sync. The good thing is we got some tings to work on...like press breaking. There were also times tonight when we looked like the #1 team in the country....we are the most versatile..and best shooting in the country. Calhoun was right when he said : GU makes you play their game" so true. Keep sawing Zags...see ya at the 2 slot Monday.

hooter73
01-31-2015, 09:05 PM
Every time we go into the "prevent" we get mediocre really quick. This team is about timing...and when they slow it way down they seem out of sync. The good thing is we got some tings to work on...like press breaking. There were also times tonight when we looked like the #1 team in the country....we are the most versatile..and best shooting in the country. Calhoun was right when he said : GU makes you play their game" so true. Keep sawing Zags...see ya at the 2 slot Monday.

If Pangos had have hit his last open three attempt off that breakaway feed form Sabonis I think that would have made us look like the #1. So far... not yet. not just yet.

jchocolate99
01-31-2015, 09:06 PM

Actually no it wasn't we ended very sloppy with lots of poor lazy passes and lax on rebounding and defense. Just because it was an 18pt win doesnt mean we can't take breaks between drinking the kool-aid and be critical where it's warranted.

I totally agree with you man were times when we were getting out of hand letting them back. the press was frustrating because we had a hard time with it but good we were able to get that look against athletic players

seacatfan
Parts of the game were really good. Late in the first half building a big lead. Up to about halfway thru the 2nd half, getting up by as many as 24. I was really disappointed to see that lead shrink down to what, 11 at one point? Agree, too many sloppy TO's, WAY too many offensive rebounds given up. Memphis was ice cold most of the night, didn't capitalize enough on GU mistakes. Memphis is a bubble team, GU is gonna see much better teams than this in the Tourney, probably starting in the 2nd Round.

raise the zag
Memphis attempted 27 more shots than us, yet we win by nearly 20. AMAZING. Almost unheard of.

We shot 55% FG, 50% 3pt (Pangos was 0-5), 69% FT, 16 assists on 26 made FG's, less than 15 fouls. Scored 82 pts. ANY team would kill for those stats no matter who they faced. Memphis, no matter their transgressions this season, started off the season ranked and feature numerous 4-5 star players.

I dunno. Outside giving up 19 offensive boards, your perception is just that -- perception, not reality. I'm sorry, yet 50% of Memphis' o-boards were in the last 5 mins of the game. We relaxed up 23.

Turnovers were sloppy at times, esp 1st 10 mins, yet 14 TO's ain't that bad compared to nat'l average.

BTW, Memphis defense is considered upper tier. They hold teams to sub-40% shooting on season. We shot 50%+. That needs to be pointed out.

Also, 13 of our 14 TO's came on Memphis steals. Only 1 unforced. Sounds odd, yet give Memphis some credit there...and same to us. 13/14 TO's are better to be forced than unforced, if you have to pick a poison.

We did ok. Still won by 18 vs Top-75 RPI team. Again, ANY team would take that as well.

What else can you ask for?

CdAZagFan
01-31-2015, 09:07 PM
It's hard to nit-pick on a near-20-point win and pretty much a dominant performance from start to finish. I'm happy with the win, but agree that it would have been a lot more satisfying if we didn't have that second half let-down. Defense looked pretty bad there for stretches in that 2nd half and the offense looked a little sloppy. There does seem to be a pattern of changing offensive styles when up by large margins. I wish they would play the same pace regardless of the score until about 4 minutes remaining (then if it is a large lead, start milking the clock).

jchocolate99
01-31-2015, 09:08 PM

This is an area where Perkins would have come in handy with his handles and passing... Damnit I want that kid back on the court :(

gonzagafan62
01-31-2015, 09:11 PM
Yes the game was sloppy at times. Yes boneheaded turnovers in first half... Probably jitters. Just be happy ... We won by 18!!!! Anytime they even THOUGHT about coming back we had an answer. We covered the spread, we don't embarrass them and won with dignity on national gonzaga day. It seems like some of you take these games for granted. We could be in Memphis' spot right now... We aren't entitled to anything except playing 32-35 games a year

RenoZag
01-31-2015, 09:12 PM
Zags in the first half were like the homecoming queen with the perfect smile, wonderful complexion, stunning hair.

In the second half they showed a few blemishes, their mascara ran, and they broke a heel on the way to the limo.

They are still a work in progress. I expected a win, didn't think they would cover the line, was surprised they did.

Enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday.

jchocolate99
01-31-2015, 09:12 PM
Memphis attempted 27 more shots than us, yet we win by nearly 20. AMAZING. Almost unheard of.

We shot 55% FG, 50% 3pt (Pangos was 0-5), 69% FT, 16 assists on 26 made FG's, less than 15 fouls. Scored 82 pts. ANY team would kill for those stats no matter who they faced. Memphis, no matter their transgressions this season, started off the season ranked and feature numerous 4-5 star players.

I dunno. Outside giving up 19 offensive boards, your perception is just that -- perception, not reality. I'm sorry, yet 50% of Memphis' o-boards were in the last 5 mins of the game. We relaxed up 23.

Turnovers were sloppy at times, esp 1st 10 mins, yet 14 TO's ain't that bad compared to nat'l average.

BTW, Memphis defense is considered upper tier. They hold teams to sub-40% shooting on season. We shot 50%+. That needs to be pointed out.

Also, 13 of our 14 TO's came on Memphis steals. Only 1 unforced. Sounds odd, yet give Memphis some credit there...and same to us. 13/14 TO's are better to be forced than unforced, if you have to pick a poison.

We did ok. Still won by 18 vs Top-75 RPI team. Again, ANY team would take that as well.

What else can you ask for?

Thanks for posting the stats... they look great and based on those stats we fans should be happy but us zags fans realize this potentially a great team that gives us our best chance to maybe a final four. When we start seeing leads shrink its not hard to get concerned and critical as a zag fan because we've seen it happen way too often in years prior. I liked how we played in the early part of the year when we stepped on throats and kept the foot on the gas.

seacatfan
01-31-2015, 09:14 PM

32-14 FT attempt disparity in GU's favor, so that mitigates the difference in FG attempts somewhat. Also FG% difference is substantial, 55% for the Zags vs. 35% for Memphis.

jim77
01-31-2015, 09:15 PM
This is an area where Perkins would have come in handy with his handles and passing... Damnit I want that kid back on the court :(

Agreed Chocolate....Props to Mac Daddy Speed (McCLELLEN) also, as he went right pass the press a few times.

Kong-Kool-Aid
01-31-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks for posting the stats... they look great and based on those stats we fans should be happy but us zags fans realize this potentially a great team that gives us our best chance to maybe a final four. When we start seeing leads shrink its not hard to get concerned and critical as a zag fan because we've seen it happen way too often in years prior. I liked how we played in the early part of the year when we stepped on throats and kept the foot on the gas.

Memphis had 9 offensive rebounds in the first half. We are fortunate that they shot so poorly from the floor they missed many open looks. (they had 4 offensive rebounds in the last 5 minutes)
14 Turnovers (7 of which were also in the first half) isn't great, and considering our hope is to be cutting down the nets and be considered one of the top 3 teams in the country, well 14 turnovers ain't great.

We let a poor shooting team shrink the lead and played especially sloppy in the final 5. What I think we can ask for and isn't unreasonable is some closer attention to detail and killer instinct.
Of course I'm happy with the win, but we let it be much closer than it should be and played much sloppier than we have any reason to.

DixieZag
01-31-2015, 09:24 PM
I thought we played outstanding defense, maybe the best all year. With that kind of defense we weathered a bad TO night and a bad rebounding night. Nice to see shots falling from 3 and Karno keeps getting better.

I wish we didn't take the air out of the ball at 7:00, one would think we'd learn. But, we played well, game was never in doubt and that's the object of playing. Lots of teams would love to have come out of today with a convincing win. SMC being just one. . .

SteelZag
01-31-2015, 09:39 PM
Agreed Chocolate....Props to Mac Daddy Speed (McCLELLEN) also, as he went right pass the press a few times.

McClellan seems to be doing exactly what is asked of him. Only one TO in four games is fantastic after not playing for a year. Seems a little lost at times but should improve with each game and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Zagricultural
01-31-2015, 09:40 PM
I am actually happy to play poorly, and still win by 18. Now if we had played our best and only won by 18? That would be cause for concern IMO.

surfmonkey89
01-31-2015, 09:40 PM
Hi,

First, I'm old. So bear with me.

Second - and this will shock those of you who remember me on this board - I was a diehard UW Husky football guy in the early 90s.

So with that in mind, let me say this:

I remember, even at back then, people calling in to sport radio in Seattle, complaining that the Huskies hadn't covered the 30-point spread. And I remember, even back then, thinking "Guys, what are you talking about? This won't last forever. Savor it, for all it's worth"

Guys, what are you talking about? This won't last forever. Savor it, for all it's worth.

ZagaZags
01-31-2015, 09:51 PM
I wish we didn't take the air out of the ball at 7:00, one would think we'd learn.

Tom Brady is smiling right now.

roxdoc
01-31-2015, 09:54 PM
Think the radio guys said only 1 FG in the last 5 1/2 min. Once again...

Zag 77
01-31-2015, 10:32 PM
Good grief, we win by 18, cover the spread, are 22-1 and on the verge of possibly being ranked #2 this week. The very title of this thread shows how spoiled SOME of the GU fan base has become in only 15 years. And to think that it took many of the country's more storied program decades to gin up that kind of loss of perspective....:fingergun:

seasontixholder
01-31-2015, 10:35 PM
This thread blows.

23dpg
01-31-2015, 10:41 PM
I posted this in my Fun Gonzaga Stats thread but I'll repeat it here due to the fact that this thread is what made me think of it.

Gonzaga has trailed for only 56 minutes all season. (925 minutes played).
Lighten up, have fun and enjoy the ride!

rennis
01-31-2015, 11:07 PM
I wish we didn't take the air out of the ball at 7:00, one would think we'd learn.

Tom Brady is smiling right now.

Not for long...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zagamatic
01-31-2015, 11:09 PM
At times we played well, other times not so much. I will say this, I've noticed that opponents are tenaciously trying to strip Sabonis and Karnowski before they can get up a shot. Perhaps it's time to pull out the ol pads and have our bigs work on ball security? Maybe play some 8 on 5? We may be able to overcome this thru February, but it won't cut it come march. Overall, I'm very happy to get a win given what we gave up to an effort team. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to improve some areas.

maynard g krebs
01-31-2015, 11:31 PM
This thread blows.

Succinct and on point.

JPtheBeasta
01-31-2015, 11:44 PM
Good grief, we win by 18, cover the spread, are 22-1 and on the verge of possibly being ranked #2 this week. The very title of this thread shows how spoiled SOME of the GU fan base has become in only 15 years. And to think that it took many of the country's more storied program decades to gin up that kind of loss of perspective....:fingergun:

These are fans that would complain that their free 20-year-old scotch is too oaky. And Scottish.

If GU players don't do the human thing and let up in the 2nd half, this is a 30 point win. The offensive rebounds would be a little troubling if Memphis wasn't putting shots up from all over the court and the ball wasn't clanging off the rim/backboard like a billiards trick shot contest. Memphis looked like a serve and volley tennis player who has to crash the net because he knows his ground strokes aren't going anywhere.

If that isn't a mixed enough metaphor, you can put it in your pipe and smoke it.

sittingon50
01-31-2015, 11:58 PM
Just saving the best for last, boys & girls.

TravelinZag
02-01-2015, 12:13 AM
How often have I read criticisms on this board that Mark Few refuses to deviate from his basic game plan? So much for that! The strategy was not only successful for this game, but great use of a rare opponent of a type the Zags could face down the line. So the results were uneven at times. A great win, and the team worked together on a live rehearsal while not ignoring their defense. Some weak spots and teaching points? Sure! But at what cost? A wider winning margin? Not for me. The Zags have some more contests left against teams they know how to beat, but could also use as proxies for experiments for better teams with similar styles we may encounter in March. Plus, the Zags are still integrating two players into the team during live action. Kudos to the coaches and the team for simultaneously playing the current game and preparing more options for the future.

Zagger
02-01-2015, 03:28 AM
Interesting stuff in box score ..... both Mt. K & Kevin scored more point off FTs than otherwise. Shem's 9 of 12 FTs ... :)
Kevin's game looked really off: 2-9 FGs, 0-5 3s. Memphis put quite a bit of pressure on Pangos. The box score I'm looking at is ESPN's and some things don't add up. They show 6 ORB but I only see 4 for Sabonis and 1 for Kevin. TOs: 6 Zags TOed the ball, each twice except both Byron & Kevin 3 times (only non-starter w/ TOs was Domas). Team fouls: Tigers 24, Zags 14.
Almost forgot these stats: GBJr's: 2-3 FGs, 2-2 3s, 4-4 FTs. Gary had an efficient O game on scoring and had 3 steals. My takeaway from this game is that Memphis definitely rattled Kevin yet playing the Zags is akin to Whack-A-Mole. Opponents may be able to rattle, slow, foul, whatever .... yet there are Zags who are going to shine and D that will limit the opponent's scoring. Adds up to another Zag win :)

Birddog
02-01-2015, 04:20 AM
"it was the best of times, it was the worst of times". I especially liked the four guard offense that ended the first half, the sloppy, lazy passing throughout, not so much.

Stache
02-01-2015, 04:36 AM
Pangos was face guarded throughout the game. Many times he stood outside and GU played 4 on 4 to great success. His stats show that Memphis did not want KP to win this game. Pick your poison.

Some of the sleepy passes were caused by the speed and great length of Memphis. That is why this game is go great. Hopefully the films wake the team up to the change in athletes that wait outside the WCC. The speed and length are good reminders of OCC play at a time of year we need the reminder.

All that being said - Our bigs can score on anyone and change shots on D. Our offense can be highly efficient against the grinders (WCC) and against athletes (Memphis, Arizona, Georgia). Our team presents match up challenges for everyone because we are 10 deep with skilled offensive players.

I'll take an 18 point win while being reminded that theses are the type of athletes we'll see in March and early April....

JPtheBeasta
02-01-2015, 07:26 AM
Interesting stuff in box score ..... both Mt. K & Kevin scored more point off FTs than otherwise. Shem's 9 of 12 FTs ... :)
Kevin's game looked really off: 2-9 FGs, 0-5 3s. Memphis put quite a bit of pressure on Pangos. The box score I'm looking at is ESPN's and some things don't add up. They show 6 ORB but I only see 4 for Sabonis and 1 for Kevin. TOs: 6 Zags TOed the ball, each twice except both Byron & Kevin 3 times (only non-starter w/ TOs was Domas). Team fouls: Tigers 24, Zags 14.
Almost forgot these stats: GBJr's: 2-3 FGs, 2-2 3s, 4-4 FTs. Gary had an efficient O game on scoring and had 3 steals. My takeaway from this game is that Memphis definitely rattled Kevin yet playing the Zags is akin to Whack-A-Mole. Opponents may be able to rattle, slow, foul, whatever .... yet there are Zags who are going to shine and D that will limit the opponent's scoring. Adds up to another Zag win :)

Team offensive rebound? (Eg ball went out of bounds off a Memphis player?)

VinnyZag
02-01-2015, 07:31 AM
Gonzaga stopped playing with about six minutes left in the game, and Memphis got back in it, sort of. That's pretty characteristic of Gonzaga. We've all seen that many times before.

The only thing that concerned me is, Gonzaga's struggles with that press at the end. Other coaches are going to note that. Is that a blueprint some other team will try to replicate in the tournament?

JPtheBeasta
02-01-2015, 07:31 AM
I enjoyed Calhoun and listening, essentially, to what a very good (great?) recent coach sees in real time. He was complementary to the refs (paraphrase: I get 15 calls wrong a game, so they are allowed to miss one" and "that's why I don't where a whistle around my neck"). It's also hard not to like a guy who couldn't say enough good stuff about Gonzaga, the Kennel, and Spokane ;]

WallaWallaZag
02-01-2015, 07:41 AM
The only thing that concerned me is, Gonzaga's struggles with that press at the end. Other coaches are going to note that. Is that a blueprint some other team will try to replicate in the tournament?

most team aren't capable of pressing like that, especially if they don't normally do it...zags might be in trouble if they run into a louisville type team though. it's really not something you can replicate in practice.

Birddog
02-01-2015, 07:45 AM
I enjoyed Calhoun and listening, essentially, to what a very good (great?) recent coach sees in real time. He was complementary to the refs (paraphrase: I get 15 calls wrong a game, so they are allowed to miss one" and "that's why I don't where a whistle around my neck"). It's also hard not to like a guy who couldn't say enough good stuff about Gonzaga, the Kennel, and Spokane ;]

Thankyou for the translation. Between my diminished hearing and Calhoun's accent i didn't get any of that.

Hoopaholic
02-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Succinct and on point.

yep..simply amazing

SunDevilGolfZag
02-01-2015, 08:45 AM

Amen!

gonzagafan62
02-01-2015, 08:48 AM

That's what I was trying to say. Someone understands lol

zagitup
02-01-2015, 09:15 AM
These are fans that would complain that their free 20-year-old scotch is too oaky. And Scottish.

If GU players don't do the human thing and let up in the 2nd half, this is a 30 point win. The offensive rebounds would be a little troubling if Memphis wasn't putting shots up from all over the court and the ball wasn't clanging off the rim/backboard like a billiards trick shot contest. Memphis looked like a serve and volley tennis player who has to crash the net because he knows his ground strokes aren't going anywhere.

If that isn't a mixed enough metaphor, you can put it in your pipe and smoke it.

Noninate for HOF post.... :clap:

zag67
02-01-2015, 09:23 AM
I agree that some areas did not look great, but we did play super at times and weathered the storm. I would like to say that the coaches and the bigs are doing a great job of learning and teaching. Remember back when the team doubled, tripled and quadrupled K. The first times he had major problems, but in the end he and the coaches worked it out. The same with different types of formations and Memphis extra length occurred in the first part of this game. Again they worked it out and made them pay. The coaching and intelligent players this year are making it fantastic to watch. Yes they look bad at times but it gives the players and coaches things to learn from. The same can be said with the Memphis press. We did not handle it as well as we should, but we now have visual defenses that they can plan and play against. You cannot teach long arms and speed, but you can beat it by moving the ball. All of our players have to be ready to help when a press like that occurs. Move toward the ball and open areas to give the players passing lanes. Yes, they need to work on certain things, but this gives them film to learn from.

ZagLawGrad
02-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Drinking in the success of our small school program is what matters. I'll take an 18 point win any day. One game at a time. I was there in SLC when #1 ranked Zags lost to Wichita State---it was a reminder to keep expectations real.

As a side note, my law degree is worth a lot more thanks to the Zags' success-----the Gonzaga name commands a certain degree of respect that was not there years ago.

If I could change one thing, it would be to make the WCC a better conference. I don't think the conference play prepares the Zags for deep runs in March like those teams in the better conferences.

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-01-2015, 09:56 AM
So, basically we should find no fault in our play when it's not up to snuff? I'm thankful they are playing well and getting the recognition, but in order to have the success we all want them to have this year they will need to fix most of the glaring problems that were obvious this game. Yes we get away with these problems against lesser competition, we will be made to pay against the top teams. I don't see why that is a problem to point this out.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
02-01-2015, 10:04 AM
It didn't pass the eye test last night comparatively speaking no doubt but it is a long season and we are sitting where we need to be. Look at VCU and the loss of Bri Weber. Around 10 steals from breaking the ALL TIME steals record in college hoops. Northern Iowa looked really good on defense.

bartruff1
02-01-2015, 10:11 AM
I once beat my little sister by more than fifty.......I am still bragging about it..

02-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Drinking in the success of our small school program is what matters. I'll take an 18 point win any day. One game at a time. I was there in SLC when #1 ranked Zags lost to Wichita State---it was a reminder to keep expectations real.

As a side note, my law degree is worth a lot more thanks to the Zags' success-----the Gonzaga name commands a certain degree of respect that was not there years ago.

If I could change one thing, it would be to make the WCC a better conference. I don't think the conference play prepares the Zags for deep runs in March like those teams in the better conferences.

We may have to progressively find our groove against better comp in the last 2 games of the WCC Tourney and the second game against a #7, #8, #9 or #10 seed team we play in our second game of the dance. I really think that game will be HUGE for us and a dangerous 1 again. If we stay out West we could find some good match-ups to do some serious damage. JMHO What do you guys think? Great season so far!

02-01-2015, 10:22 AM
I once beat my little sister by more than fifty.......I am still bragging about it..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ROTFLAO...funny!

sittingon50
02-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Those pesky W's.

jim77
02-01-2015, 12:20 PM
So, basically we should find no fault in our play when it's not up to snuff? I'm thankful they are playing well and getting the recognition, but in order to have the success we all want them to have this year they will need to fix most of the glaring problems that were obvious this game. Yes we get away with these problems against lesser competition, we will be made to pay against the top teams. I don't see why that is a problem to point this out.

The only team I saw with a glaring problem was Memphis. Shaq looked like a boy against Shem. Then when they decided to pack it in...the snipers show up. They played OUR game......I could tell within the first 5 minutes that they just didn't match up. Their lucky they didn't loose by 30....teams just aren't use to seeing the size we have in the front court.....nor the skill of our shooters...or our depth. Even AZ had to play OUR game. The only team in college basketball who can impose their will on us is KY.....Most teams can deal with 1 good big...the Zags can bring 2 or 3 if they choose. We have some tuning to do but, this team can do some damage.

Mantua
02-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I agree that some areas did not look great, but we did play super at times and weathered the storm. I would like to say that the coaches and the bigs are doing a great job of learning and teaching. Remember back when the team doubled, tripled and quadrupled K. The first times he had major problems, but in the end he and the coaches worked it out. The same with different types of formations and Memphis extra length occurred in the first part of this game. Again they worked it out and made them pay. The coaching and intelligent players this year are making it fantastic to watch. Yes they look bad at times but it gives the players and coaches things to learn from. The same can be said with the Memphis press. We did not handle it as well as we should, but we now have visual defenses that they can plan and play against. You cannot teach long arms and speed, but you can beat it by moving the ball. All of our players have to be ready to help when a press like that occurs. Move toward the ball and open areas to give the players passing lanes. Yes, they need to work on certain things, but this gives them film to learn from.

This is my favorite post today!:agreed:

It's good to be presented with sets of problems outside of our experience.

maynard g krebs
02-01-2015, 02:03 PM
As to the OP referring to playing teams with Memphis athleticism combined with better basketball skills, well, it's true that teams like that would give the Zags a hard time. But it's also true that teams that fit that description are in the top 20 for sure, and more likely in the top 10.

Memphis seems to recruit elite athletes and hope they can teach em to play basketball. For the most part, they are quicker, faster, and jump higher than the Zags, and that is gonna lead to some offensive boards and steals given up. Legitimate concerns in the OP, but the tenor of the post was sort of glass 3/4 empty, and I'd call the 18 point win more like glass 3/4 full. Overall, the Zags covered the spread by half a point, and the spread represents the consensus pregame expectations of people who put money on the game, and those who seek to profit off those people, i.e. those with a vested interest.

Interesting too that the OP said in another thread something like he would have bet on the Zags to cover 17, but not 17.5; apologies if I'm mischaracterizing that post, I saw it last night but fairly sure it's more or less correct.

GrizZAG
02-01-2015, 02:26 PM
I liked the fact that our guys got to mix it up with very athletic quick opponents that reflect more what they will see in the tourney. Can't slight the athleticism of Memphis and they are young. Good for us all round.

NumberCruncher
02-01-2015, 02:41 PM
I don't know. To my eye, the 92-74 win over Mississippi Valley State on 11/14/2009 was pretty bad. Giving up 74 points and turning it over 17 times against one of the fifty worst teams in the country was not very impressive.

Mantua
02-01-2015, 03:02 PM
I don't know. To my eye, the 92-74 win over Mississippi Valley State on 11/14/2009 was pretty bad. Giving up 74 points and turning it over 17 times against one of the fifty worst teams in the country was not very impressive.

A possible explanation from the recap:

Gonzaga has seven newcomers and a total of 10 players who had not played a minute of Division I basketball.

It was the first game of the season and basically the entire bench was untested. The entire roster got minutes.

peg645
02-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Watched after watching most of NC/Louisville and Duke/UVA. Play like we did, we would not W against any of those 4. Memphis is 5th in a mid conference, probably not going to the Dance. Athletic but not very good BB players. That's not what we will see if we get to the second week. It isn't one player - it just seems that so often there is a lack of intensity and I don't know if you can suddenly turn that on unless you are all 5-Stars at UK.

bartruff1
02-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Watched after watching most of NC/Louisville and Duke/UVA. Play like we did, we would not W against any of those 4. Memphis is 5th in a mid conference, probably not going to the Dance. Athletic but not very good BB players. That's not what we will see if we get to the second week. It isn't one player - it just seems that so often there is a lack of intensity and I don't know if you can suddenly turn that on unless you are all 5-Stars at UK.

Memphis is headed to the NIT...the teams we will play in the third round will be far better....and then it will get really difficult.....

WallaWallaZag
02-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Watched after watching most of NC/Louisville and Duke/UVA. Play like we did, we would not W against any of those 4.

true, but also true that teams tend to play to the level of their competition...otherwise there would never be upsets. if duke plays like they did against nc.state and miami in back to back losses they would get smoked by the zags...if the hoos played like they did against the hokies in the game before duke they would get smoked by the zags...nature of the beast. the problem the zags face is that they've had only one sweet sixteen level opponent all year in zona...hard to raise your level of play when you haven't had any practice at it...and getting pushed at pepp doesn't count...that only helped in terms of learning to overcome obstacles.

cjm720
02-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Great win...not going to bother reading this thread given the tenor of the subject title.

sittingon50
02-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Damn Russell Wilson!!

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Just keep winning

Mr Vulture
02-02-2015, 11:42 AM
So...we are now moaning about 18pt wins? Get some perspective...my goodness! A team isn't going to play great every game but when you don't, you still need to find a way to win. I didn't think they played that poorly frankly, it was the style of the game with a team in Memphis that had no choice but to foul and disrupt the flow.