PDA

View Full Version : Your ESPN2 announcers for Memphis/Gonzaga

CDC84
01-31-2015, 12:05 PM
TV: ESPN2, Beth Mowins and Jim Calhoun

Zagceo
01-31-2015, 12:07 PM
I was just going to mention the fact that Calhoun is in town and how much I don't like him!

sittingon50
01-31-2015, 12:38 PM
I was just going to mention the fact that Calhoun is in town and how much I don't like him!

Ditto. What's the over/under of him showing up sober?

jazzdelmar
01-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Sober is a toss up. Articulate is a long shot. His play by play guy better get a poncho.

gonzagafan62
01-31-2015, 01:42 PM
TV: ESPN2, Beth Mowins and Jim Calhoun

Dangit. I don't like mowins. Oh well

Zag4Hire
01-31-2015, 01:45 PM
Sober is a toss up. Articulate is a long shot. His play by play guy better get a poncho.

You think they make it a three man team with Ken Krayeske?

jazzdelmar
01-31-2015, 01:48 PM
You think they make it a three man team with Ken Krayeske?

I'm sure Calhoun isn't beyond a threesome.

Zag4Hire
01-31-2015, 02:19 PM
I'm sure Calhoun isn't beyond a threesome.

http://i.giphy.com/G22vVm4jcPeco.gif

RenoZag
01-31-2015, 03:09 PM
Wouldn't the definition of a Jim Calhoun threesome be "me, myself, and I" ?

jazzdelmar
01-31-2015, 04:11 PM
Wouldn't the definition of a Jim Calhoun threesome be "me, myself, and I" ?

Not bad. More likely me, myself and my academic liaison

Zag4Hire
01-31-2015, 04:18 PM
You can tell Jim is thoroughly enticed by the offer as he is furiously working over a coupe of pieces of gum.

Annoying Coach Recipe

+1 Can of Diet Pepsi (Tom Crean)
+1 Wad of Chewing Gum (Jim Calhoun)
+1 Awesome Wardrobe (Wimp Sanderson)
+1 Blowby Coach Handshake (Randy Bennett)
+1 Run Off Best Player of a Subpar Program (Rex Walters)
+1 Thug off the Bench (Jon Chaney)
+1 Waitress at a Restaurant (Rick Pitino)
+1 Trans-Am Filled with Miller Hi-Life (Bob Huggins)

RenoZag
01-31-2015, 04:37 PM

jazz, you know where ALL the bodies are buried. . .

jazzdelmar
01-31-2015, 04:41 PM
jazz, you know where ALL the bodies are buried. . .

Thanks, Reen. Calhoun is a well known recidivist perpetrator back east. Ask Long Island Zag.

gonstu
01-31-2015, 04:51 PM

Jazz, you seem feistier than normal today! Is it the brutal winter weather today? I think it was 67 in pb today. Brrrr.

jazzdelmar
01-31-2015, 05:09 PM
Jazz, you seem feistier than normal today! Is it the brutal winter weather today? I think it was 67 in pb today. Brrrr.

Gon, ur right. It's the long run up to the game and having to wade thru all these other ones. A beauty up here, tho some AM clouds. But with family in NY and Chi, where the snow is snowing and the wind is blowing, I feel a tad guilty. Thanks for inquiring.

webspinnre
01-31-2015, 06:18 PM
Good grief. I'd never heard Calhoun before, and figured people were exaggerating. If anything, they were understating his terrible-ness. :mecry: :vomit-smiley-007:

RenoZag
01-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Fox has used him as a sideline guy a couple of times. . .he wasn't this bad. Maybe Fox was feeding him decaf

ZionZag
01-31-2015, 06:35 PM
Can't understand him.............Is he the jerk that would not shake Mark Few's hand after one of our games with UCon

Corky
01-31-2015, 06:41 PM
My wife, who refuses to speak ill of anyone and bawls me out when I say that the new weatherman on KHQ looks like Tin-Tin, just said that she thinks the announcer is painful to listen to.

That clinches it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonzagafan62
01-31-2015, 07:09 PM
My wife, who refuses to speak ill of anyone and bawls me out when I say that the new weatherman on KHQ looks like Tin-Tin, just said that she thinks the announcer is painful to listen to.

That clinches it.

Thanks for sharing corky too funny

tyra
01-31-2015, 08:45 PM
I frankly cannot comprehend a major national network employing an announcer who is virtually impossible to understand. This isn't a risky-dink regional training ground. It's ESPN for Gawd's sake!

Kong-Kool-Aid
01-31-2015, 08:55 PM
Tell you what though, the guys knows his stuff.

Corky
01-31-2015, 10:37 PM
Tell you what though, the guys knows his stuff.

How can you tell? ❓❓😸

Birddog
02-01-2015, 04:29 AM
I frankly cannot comprehend a major national network employing an announcer who is virtually impossible to understand. This isn't a risky-dink regional training ground. It's ESPN for Gawd's sake!

Agree, it helps if you can actually understand the announcer.

kclubfounder
02-01-2015, 06:58 AM
The one thing I think I gathered is that he is pulling for New England today. What a JERK!!!

Did he have an interpreter so his players could follow his instructions?

montanazag88
02-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Everyone fights their demons....some are famous enough to have it announced for all to hear. Don't particularly care for Calhoun as a color guy, but sure glad my mistakes are not on a top ten list and memorialized. As we get older, our eyesight gets weaker, but the mirror seems to get more clear. I guess this is a reason to applaud Few and the GU program and be greatful the "educating the whole person" is available to athletes like EM at GU.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
02-01-2015, 09:44 AM
First off I was in total disbelief when Calhoun called Domantas dad QUOTE "the best post player of ALL TIME.." I know our other Zag TV announcers have debated this but....didn't Kareem and Wilt play the post? His dad wasn't the best of all time right? That seemed off even though I'm sure he was terrific. Also he said Kevin reminded him of Shabazz Napier after talking to him for 15 minutes and watching a lot of tape. Napier was a two time National Champ and 1st round draft pick? How is this a fair comparison to Kevin? I LOVE KEVIN but is this an unfair comparison? Seriously...I think some of the intangibles are there for sure like leadership. Also Calhoun kept mentioning how great Zag fans were for staying the whole game and not leaving. Can someone explain this? Are you a great fan for staying the whole game? I have been to UConn games in Hartford when he coached a few times where the BIG donors in the lower section leave early. Well Jimmy why didn't you promote a student section in the lower bowl at your home games??? I understand the Zags have great fans but are Zag fans the only fan base that doesn't leave early? Lets face it JC did leave Shabazz in a horrible spot when he retired. It was like a father figure bailing at the last minute pretty much. I know Bazz was like wtf lol?? Calhoun was a great tournament coach though maybe the best ever so if he says the Zags are 1 of the 7 or 8 teams that can make a run to the title I listen to that CLOSELY with some of the in game strategy I can understand.

JPtheBeasta
02-01-2015, 12:13 PM
NEWS FLASH:

Some people have accents and are harder to understand than others. I know that a lot of you are just joking around but Calhoun wasn't that bad, in my opinion.

Next ESPN announcer up for the Zags, Pootie Tang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89lwQxQm5co&list=PL8CDD0AFF4D8D5022

TheZagPhish
02-01-2015, 12:14 PM
...Calhoun wasn't that bad, in my opinion.]

+1

seacatfan
02-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Honestly, not much different than Bobby Knight in my opinion, other than the Boston accent. Both highly successful ex-coaches that know the ins and outs of the game, both fairly dry delivery on their commentary, both had a reputation for being jerkish during their careers. Many here like Knight calling games, I don't, but I really see little difference between the two.

NumberCruncher
02-01-2015, 01:22 PM
To me, he just didn't enunciate well. I found it distracted from the game to put that much effort into understanding him.

maynard g krebs
02-01-2015, 05:41 PM
To me, he just didn't enunciate well. I found it distracted from the game to put that much effort into understanding him.

Yup. My mom is 91 and had a stroke just under 2 years ago that affected her brain's speech center, and it now takes a lot of effort to figure out what she's saying. Having to listen to Calhoun took similar effort; after a while I gave up. Not his fault, but he shouldn't be employed as an announcer without diction training.

webspinnre
02-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Honestly, not much different than Bobby Knight in my opinion, other than the Boston accent. Both highly successful ex-coaches that know the ins and outs of the game, both fairly dry delivery on their commentary, both had a reputation for being jerkish during their careers. Many here like Knight calling games, I don't, but I really see little difference between the two.

Knight is bad, Calhoun was worse.

JPtheBeasta
02-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Is there a dog kicking thread that people can go to and get out their angst? This GU board must save a lot of people on psychologist appointments.

gonzagafan62
02-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Is there a dog kicking thread that people can go to and get out their angst? This GU board must save a lot of people on psychologist appointments.

Close to what I was thinking lol