PDA

View Full Version : What is in Josh Perkins and the Bulldogs best interests?

TravelinZag
01-31-2015, 05:34 AM
Josh Perkins is a great player and the Zags are having a fantastic year. If Josh wanted and were able to return for the end of the season, it would cost him a year of eligibility. How much much playing time he would get is a matter of conjecture.

Assume the following: Josh could fully recover and get himself into playing shape within the next 3 weeks. He would want to do so. The Zags would welcome him back, and try to reintroduce him to the rotation in the last game or two of the regular season and the WCC tournament. The Zags would not push for his return before he is ready.

1. Are these assumptions reasonable?

2. Is it likely a physician would certify a patient/player is capable of returning if the patient did not feel capable of returning?

3. How many playing minutes could Josh expect in NCAA tourney games, and what contribution could be fairly expected from him after his layoff?

4. What would your counsel be to Josh?

5. What would your counsel be to Mark Few and the Zags.

These questions require data we don't have, and intentions we don't know. No one has asked, nor should take this board's responses as definitive. My purpose in posing them is to make fans think seriously about the choices which COULD be at stake? What do you think your advice would be?

LongIslandZagFan
01-31-2015, 05:52 AM
I believe that if he is physically capable of playing and not limited by the injury during the season, the it is not an option for him to sit out the rest of the season. Perhaps someone with a better grasp of the rules can clarify that for me. This is similar to the issue with Nunez.

jazzdelmar
01-31-2015, 06:14 AM
Long distance, this seems moot. He looks gaunt and one assumes not near able to be fit anytime soon. The Jenks camp on the board, again one assumes they are legit, had made it clear he will not seek a medical redshirt but simply move on. There was a hint that he doesn't expect to play four years at GU. I am just recalling this, so anyone with a similar or opposite recollection please weigh in. If he's my son, he sits, gets 100% and comes back next year as the starting point. The Zags are ok with Mac here now, can't see Jenks being a pivotal factor this season. An awful situation for all, especially for the young man.

DixieZag
01-31-2015, 06:45 AM
Long distance, this seems moot. He looks gaunt and one assumes not near able to be fit anytime soon. The Jenks camp on the board, again one assumes they are legit, had made it clear he will not seek a medical redshirt but simply move on. There was a hint that he doesn't expect to play four years at GU. I am just recalling this, so anyone with a similar or opposite recollection please weigh in. If he's my son, he sits, gets 100% and comes back next year as the starting point. The Zags are ok with Mac here now, can't see Jenks being a pivotal factor this season. An awful situation for all, especially for the young man.

I think that is right.

And, every time I picture that UGA guy flying through the air and intentionally (no one will ever convince me otherwise) jamming him in the jaw, without even a technical foul called, I just get so angry. How a ref can review that play and just let it go is. . . I don't care how apologetic that young man was.

bigblahla
01-31-2015, 06:51 AM
I think that is right.

And, every time I picture that UGA guy flying through the air and intentionally (no one will ever convince me otherwise) jamming him in the jaw, without even a technical foul called, I just get so angry. How a ref can review that play and just let it go is. . . I don't care how apologetic that young man was.

Agree 100% no way was that a basketball play.

Go!! Zags!!!

gonzagafan62
01-31-2015, 07:27 AM
I believe that if he is physically capable of playing and not limited by the injury during the season, the it is not an option for him to sit out the rest of the season. Perhaps someone with a better grasp of the rules can clarify that for me. This is similar to the issue with Nunez.

Agreed. Needs to come back if at all possible

Rangerzag
01-31-2015, 07:54 AM
Last I heard, there was medical concern for his safety. He could not get into action because his jaw had not healed enough to properly withstand re-injury from normal basketball contact. Once he is cleared medically as healed I believe his ability to redshirt disappears.

I can't imagine the NCAA giving a rip about how fast he can run up and down the court.

Reborn
01-31-2015, 08:04 AM
My thoughts would be that if he can play at 100% then let him play. He would need to have at least 3 games to play in before the NCAA tournament for the staff to see how he has fit into the chemistry of the team. Josh is a great kid, and If he can play I look forward to see him backing up Pangos in March.

Go Zags!

ZagsGoZags
01-31-2015, 10:00 AM
what if he plays all four years for us?
in that case, IMHO, it would make the most sense, looking back with hindsight in that case, for him to take a medical for this year,
and contribute 4 years for the team, rather than 3 years.

JokerZag
01-31-2015, 10:10 AM
1. Are these assumptions reasonable?

Sure

2. Is it likely a physician would certify a patient/player is capable of returning if the patient did not feel capable of returning?

No clue

3. How many playing minutes could Josh expect in NCAA tourney games, and what contribution could be fairly expected from him after his layoff?

Close to the minutes he was getting before the injury 15-20 mins

4. What would your counsel be to Josh?

Suit up

5. What would your counsel be to Mark Few and the Zags.

Put him in.

My opinion is that this team's biggest weakest right now is a lack of a pass first point guard. The offense gets too stagnant for long stretches of time. Small sample size, but the games Josh played, the offense never let up. This is the year folks.

hondo
01-31-2015, 10:25 AM
Gonzaga's best interest is whatever is in Josh's best interest. I have no idea what that is but I'm rooting for Josh.

jazzdelmar
01-31-2015, 11:23 AM
Gonzaga's best interest is whatever is in Josh's best interest. I have no idea what that is but I'm rooting for Josh.

Thank you, H. The tone of selfishness among some posters is off putting. This was a significant, even dangerous, injury, not a twisted ankle or wrist. I'm sure the family and staff will do what's best for the kid. If the Zags are that desperate they need him for the post season, especially with Mac finally in place, then their stay will be short lived.

JPtheBeasta
01-31-2015, 12:02 PM
If there is any doubt about his health, it is just not worth pushing it to play this year. If he feels good and is playing well in practice, and he may miss out on a redshirt year anyway, he may as well play. I would love to see him back this year, but other players have been stepping up. If Pangos, God forbid, were to get hurt the plot would thicken a bit...

There are some who think he has already missed out on a chance for a an extra year of eligibility because he played some games already. Does anybody here have a firm grasp on this, or is this all speculation?

ETA:

Basic Qualifications

To qualify for a medical redshirt, a basketball player must sustain an “incapacitating injury or illness.” The injury or illness does not have to be related to basketball, but must take place after the first day of classes in the athlete’s senior year of high school. To gain a medical redshirt for a specific season, the athlete’s illness or injury must occur before the first game of the second half of the team’s schedule. If the team plays an odd number of games, the exact midseason contest is considered part of the second half. For example, if a basketball team plays 25 games, the injury or illness must occur before the start of the team’s 13th game. Games played in postseason tournaments, such as a conference tournament or the NCAA or NIT tournaments, count among the team’s total games played.

Games Played
To gain a medical redshirt, the athlete cannot compete in more than 30 percent of her team’s games within a season, not counting contests officially designated as scrimmages or exhibition games. When such computations are made, fractions are rounded up. For example, if a team plays 27 games, the exact 30 percent mark is 8.1. For the purposes of medical redshirt eligibility, therefore, the player may compete in nine games and still be eligible for a medical redshirt.

Sixth YearIn cases where a player takes a standard, nonmedical redshirt season, then later is granted a medical redshirt, the player has six years in which to complete his four seasons of basketball eligibility.
Administration
The administration of a medical redshirt request is handled by a school’s conference. If the school is not a member of an athletic conference, the NCAA Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement administers the hardship request. The committee also reviews appeals of medical redshirt requests that are denied at the conference level. Medical documentation is required with every medical redshirt request.
http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/medical-redshirt-rules-basketball-4185.html

I believe he only played 5 games (or so) this year, so if his pain keeps him from returning it would seem to me that he would get the redshirt.

23dpg
01-31-2015, 12:06 PM
If I were Perkins I would absolutely want to play this year. This team is special.

So, if he gets cleared, and he can get up to game speed, and he desires it, I would absolutely love it if he wanted to be a part of the tourney.

This is all about what he wants, not what we want.

ZagaZags
01-31-2015, 12:42 PM
Hard to believe it was 66 days ago when that injury occurred. I would hope he can make it back soon. The Gonzaga offense goes flat when Kevin Pangos takes a break. I agree with Hondo,

zagamatic
01-31-2015, 01:53 PM
I think that RangerZag hit it on the head. If he's medically cleared to play before season's end, his only chance at a medical redshirt is a special waiver being granted by the NCAA regardless of how capable he is of competing due to conditioning, etc.

hooter73
01-31-2015, 02:05 PM
A physically depleted and un-confident Perkins is not the Perkins we want to press into playing in hopes he will be what pushes us over the top. IMO we would have been ranked #1 a couple weeks ago if he had never gotten hurt. we'd still be blowing teams out. Of course I want whatever is best for him first, and second to that is a healthy and full strength player. If we have to wait till next year for that, so be it. Rule wise though I think he will have to return.

Zagger
01-31-2015, 03:44 PM
I'm confident that Few/etc. + Josh/family will make the best decision for Josh going forward. The kick he took would have tore my head off (or I'd at least still be seeing stars and blithering bunches). I have a hunch (just a hunch - nothing more) that Josh will get a med redshirt for this season. My hunch is based upon what I saw as a very seriously forcefull whack to the head. I only watched a replay once since the game day that it occurred and it looked twice as forceful than what I recalled. I don't want to see the replay again. I hope the jaw is the only medical issue and for healing time - longer seems a lot wiser than shorter.

jchocolate99
01-31-2015, 04:07 PM
A physically depleted and un-confident Perkins is not the Perkins we want to press into playing in hopes he will be what pushes us over the top. IMO we would have been ranked #1 a couple weeks ago if he had never gotten hurt. we'd still be blowing teams out. Of course I want whatever is best for him first, and second to that is a healthy and full strength player. If we have to wait till next year for that, so be it. Rule wise though I think he will have to return.

No we wouldn't of we still would be exactly where we are sitting snuggly at number 3. I for one hope he doesn't redshirt because any play time he can receive this year benefits us next year when we lose our experienced guards in Pangos and Bell. Melson burning his redshirt has been a blessing for us for next year too. We're gonna have a very good team next year as well but our back court wont be as dependable because of the lack of experience in the in our guards.

jagwalkley
01-31-2015, 04:12 PM
If he can get the medical red shirt,I would take it in a second.Get ready for next year. He is not going to help any this year.If we can't win with this group now,we deserve to loose.

CDC84
01-31-2015, 05:23 PM
I think that RangerZag hit it on the head. If he's medically cleared to play before season's end, his only chance at a medical redshirt is a special waiver being granted by the NCAA regardless of how capable he is of competing due to conditioning, etc.

I don't know if he's going to get medically cleared unless he gains the weight back that he lost due to not being able to eat, which he is apparently still struggling with. It's not just about his jaw healing up enough for athletic competition.

KStyles
01-31-2015, 05:25 PM

Unless UK had lost, I doubt it.

zag67
01-31-2015, 07:08 PM
First, what ever he feels is best for him, after the doctors and all say he is ready. If not 100 percent, sit and if he gets the redshirt ok, otherwise come back and and have 3 great seasons. Even if he does redshirt, if he explodes in his next few years, I can see him go before that last year.

zagamatic
01-31-2015, 08:45 PM
Cdc, while I hope that you're right in that the Dr's can take into account weight loss, conditioning, etc. I honestly don't know if they can? Are they limited to just evaluating the jaw? Does anyone know?

CDC84
01-31-2015, 08:47 PM
I think the weight loss is a different issue than the conditioning. It's a reflection of his difficulties with eating.

JPtheBeasta
01-31-2015, 10:08 PM
Cdc, while I hope that you're right in that the Dr's can take into account weight loss, conditioning, etc. I honestly don't know if they can? Are they limited to just evaluating the jaw? Does anyone know?

I didn't stay at a Holiday in Express last night, but I don't think it would be too hard to get a doctor to say that he isn't recovering well and isn't ready to play. This isn't a social security disability case, and if a player isn't ready to play as quickly as hoped (a la Derrick Rose) it wouldn't be too hard to say that the scar tissue/soft tissue/articular surface is still causing too much pain to play.

quadcityzag
02-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Any updated info on Jenks?

Zagger
02-03-2015, 06:13 PM
I didn't stay at a Holiday in Express last night, but I don't think it would be too hard to get a doctor to say that he isn't recovering well and isn't ready to play. This isn't a social security disability case, and if a player isn't ready to play as quickly as hoped (a la Derrick Rose) it wouldn't be too hard to say that the scar tissue/soft tissue/articular surface is still causing too much pain to play.

Hmmmm .... sounds a bit shady. But, led me to thinking about jaw protection. A Google search didn't turn up much that wasn't connected to a helmet except these: http://www.gladiatorguards.com/shop.htm ( I didn't search extensively). Being that college BB is more/less a contact sport without a protective attire I would guess that Josh won't come back until he's fairly well healed up and wearing some sort of protection. Even an elbow to the jaw w/ protection is likely to at least cause a fair amount of pain + any sort of protection has to impact mobility. Being mobile & seeing what's going on are BB necessities. Just trying to use some common sense on this. At what level of play is coming back deemed enough of a disability to warrant a medical redshirt. I can envision how the objective and subjective boundary on determination could be quite fuzzy. How useful would Josh be if not fully ready for the contact he'd experience in game play??? What might work for a hockey player in full head gear can't be the same as college BB w/ nada for much protection.

Mantua
02-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Hmmmm .... sounds a bit shady. But, led me to thinking about jaw protection. A Google search didn't turn up much that wasn't connected to a helmet except these: http://www.gladiatorguards.com/shop.htm ( I didn't search extensively). Being that college BB is more/less a contact sport without a protective attire I would guess that Josh won't come back until he's fairly well healed up and wearing some sort of protection. Even an elbow to the jaw w/ protection is likely to at least cause a fair amount of pain + any sort of protection has to impact mobility. Being mobile & seeing what's going on are BB necessities. Just trying to use some common sense on this. At what level of play is coming back deemed enough of a disability to warrant a medical redshirt. I can envision how the objective and subjective boundary on determination could be quite fuzzy. How useful would Josh be if not fully ready for the contact he'd experience in game play??? What might work for a hockey player in full head gear can't be the same as college BB w/ nada for much protection.

Thanks for the research. We have no idea how much surrounding tissue was affected by that blow. It could take some time. The question about a player's overhaul fitness would probably need to be answered by a different physician. I can't imagine thet it's ok to put a weak and unconditioned player into a game. I guess it depend on the understanding of "recovery."

ZagsGoZags
02-03-2015, 10:15 PM
If we get Perkins back in for the 14-15 season, it probably won't be the Perkins we saw in the Autumn. He would be catching up to the 8 ball the whole time in the Dance, I would think including regaining strength, taking all the normal shots players take to their body, conditioning, timing, etc. He would feel tremendous weight on his shoulders perhaps as everyone placed high hopes on him.
Yes. It is up to him,
for me, I hope for his sake he doesn't push the medical timetable as fast as allowable; I would rather see the 'better safe than sorry' strategy, which teenagers are not always keeping in the front of their minds.

MDABE80
02-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Jenks played 5 games and average 3.4 assists and 5 ppg. TO's were a bit high probably due to inexperience.
He has not gained his weight back and his jaw is still healing.
I think he'll get a medical redshirt unless he plays one more game.
I'd rather let him sit and develop McClellan who is veteran, seems to be mature and has played in some advanced situation (advanced= tough games). Eric might be key as the season progresses. He's willing and he's in game shape. I doubt Josh will be conditioned enough at this late stage of the season.

ZagaZags
02-03-2015, 11:06 PM
Jenks played 5 games and average 3.4 assists and 5 ppg. TO's were a bit high probably due to inexperience.
He has not gained his weight back and his jaw is still healing.
I think he'll get a medical redshirt unless he plays one more game.
I'd rather let him sit and develop McClellan who is veteran, seems to be mature and has played in some advanced situation (advanced= tough games). Eric might be key as the season progresses. He's willing and he's in game shape. I doubt Josh will be conditioned enough at this late stage of the season.

GU has 8 regular season games left, with 3 more games in the WCC Tournament. Time is running out for him to get cleared/healthy. Today is day 70 since the injury.

Zaga
02-04-2015, 05:34 AM
I would be very surprised to see him back on the floor this year. All things considered (his future vs. Zag's needs going into the tournament) IMHO

JPtheBeasta
02-04-2015, 06:11 AM

I didn't intend that to sound shady, so for that I apologize. Pain is just so subjective that even if he was projected to return on a certain date, a slower recovery isn't out of bounds, and the burden of proof is pretty low to show that anyone continues to have pain after a big surgery/injury like that. I never thought Derrick Rose's slow return was anything but above board and the result of a player who just wasn't quite confident enough in his body to play.

hooter73
02-04-2015, 07:41 AM
For his own sake I hope hes not cleared to play. He would be in scramble and push mode the whole time, trying to prove something and thats not his game.

kitzbuel
02-04-2015, 08:16 AM
I didn't intend that to sound shady, so for that I apologize. Pain is just so subjective that even if he was projected to return on a certain date, a slower recovery isn't out of bounds, and the burden of proof is pretty low to show that anyone continues to have pain after a big surgery/injury like that. I never thought Derrick Rose's slow return was anything but above board and the result of a player who just wasn't quite confident enough in his body to play.
I don't think it is shady at all. If a Dr. thinks there is a risk of re-injury due to the jaw not being fully healed, it is a legitimate reason to not play. Dr.s don't make these decisions in a vacuum, they have to get input from the patient. The patient is the primary source of information on how the injury feels and how the pain impacts him.

DixieZag
02-04-2015, 08:25 AM
I tried to find some sort of explanation of what "medically cleared to play" means.

The rule is there is no hardship waiver (medical redshirt) if the player stays out after "medically cleared to play." But that can't be a black and white line. What if a doctor honestly determined "He can play without fear of re-injury. But, he is weaker, it could cause more soreness, so he will likely be 80%." If that is the status, is he indeed "Medically cleared to play?" Or is it enough to say "He is not 100% and thus is not medically cleared."

I could not find any guidance on that question. It would seem that your Senior All-American Quarter Back on an undefeated team will get "Medically cleared" far below 100% and far quicker than a frosh on a deep team.

If anyone knows the more subtle elements I am sure many would like to know.

zaguarxj
02-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Haven't we already been told by someone close to JP that he's not sticking around for 5 years regardless of redshirt status? That would seem to make all this speculation a moot point.

Zag_Dad
02-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Haven't we already been told by someone close to JP that he's not sticking around for 5 years regardless of redshirt status? That would seem to make all this speculation a moot point.

I recall reading that too... in fact, my impression was that JP plans to stay 4 years at most and that if it looks like he could go in the draft before graduating he will jump.

cjm720
02-04-2015, 10:23 AM

So someone close to one of our players thinks he can go to the NBA early? While I believe he's got a immense talent, that's utter speculation and a lot has to play out until he's a serious candidate.

Zagger
02-04-2015, 10:58 AM

Yeah, I prolly jumped the gun on "I don't think it would be too hard to get a doctor to say". You'll likely meant the same if "to get" was replaced with "for". I think for all intent and purposes you are right. I keep thinking back to the accident itself and the video of it. It may be rare to get whacked that hard in that manner. But, if Josh were to get whacked similiar to that again this season, even with some sort of protection ..... the risk without a fully healed jaw just doesn't seem worth it. I believe that due to the specific circumstances/nature of his injury - that is documented on video for all to see - that the NCCA would grant Josh a medical redshirt if he/GU asked for one. If Josh were back practicing now in full blown play - that's another matter. As far as I know that is far from the case.

Zagceo
02-04-2015, 11:05 AM
So someone close to one of our players thinks he can go to the NBA early?

It was phrased along the lines of …………moving on to the next chapter in his life with no reference to anything specific as I recall.

kitzbuel
02-04-2015, 12:08 PM
It was phrased along the lines of …………moving on to the next chapter in his life with no reference to anything specific as I recall.

Too lazy to dig it up, but that was my recollection as well. It seems to be his intent is to finish college in four years, play as much ball as he absolutely can and move on to the next stage of his life. Sticking around for a fifth year did not seem to be in the books.

Fair enough IMO.

cjm720
02-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Too lazy to dig it up, but that was my recollection as well. It seems to be his intent is to finish college in four years, play as much ball as he absolutely can and move on to the next stage of his life. Sticking around for a fifth year did not seem to be in the books.

Fair enough IMO.

But that was pre-injury right? If he's still eligible and not an NBA lock, I can't imagine him not staying. Makes little sense but the context I gather was pre-injury.

zaguarxj
02-04-2015, 01:26 PM
But that was pre-injury right? If he's still eligible and not an NBA lock, I can't imagine him not staying. Makes little sense but the context I gather was pre-injury.

Pretty sure it was post injury. The sense I got was he'd get his degree in 4 years and be ready to move on to whatever life has in store at that point. Seems perfectly sensible to me.

cjm720
02-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Pretty sure it was post injury. The sense I got was he'd get his degree in 4 years and be ready to move on to whatever life has in store at that point. Seems perfectly sensible to me.

Well I'd bet a paycheck he wouldn't forego a year of eligibility to "move on" unless it's a lucrative NBA or foreign contract.

Just_An_Old_Zag
02-04-2015, 01:42 PM
If he was your son...what would you recommend he do...

I would tell him your health comes first.

Having said that, I trust the coaching staff and athletic department to do what is best for the young man. If the day ever came I didn't believe that, it would be the first day I was ever sad to be a Zag

zag67
02-04-2015, 04:25 PM
If he were my son:

1. Make sure that he is healed before playing in comp.
2. If that means not playing this year, then so be it.
3. Come back this summer and play and practice.
4. Be the point guard and leader on the court for GU next year.
5. After the next two or three years, decide where he stands and what will be best for him

I also feel that that is what the staff is advising him also the same and he has a full career ahead of him.

maynard g krebs
02-04-2015, 05:35 PM

Post injury; no reason it would have been brought up pre-injury. And from someone like family member/ friend of family.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-05-2015, 09:48 AM

...and if whatever life has in store happens to be another year of NCAA ball at GU, he'd do that too.

kitzbuel
02-05-2015, 10:48 AM
...and if whatever life has in store happens to be another year of NCAA ball at GU, he'd do that too.

I bet if that was the best option at that point it time he would not be against it!

cjm720
02-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Post injury; no reason it would have been brought up pre-injury. And from someone like family member/ friend of family.

He's way off track from his return, so I'm sure his long-term thinking may change.

DixieZag
02-05-2015, 01:20 PM
I hope he is doing well emotionally.

It must be very hard watching the amazing season go on without him.

Very much appreciate him sticking with it with a great attitude. It might take more "toughness" to do that mentally than dealing with the injury.