PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Memphis...predictions and other thoughts.....

gonzagafan62
01-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Since Reborn has not started his normal thread, I am going to post one. This is a big game for us, at least to me, and I want to get the predictions going.

Memphis is coming to town, just coming off a win against ECU, and Shaq Goodwin, who has an ankle sprain, is currently going to be available for tomorrow nights game.

This game has lost some of its luster since Memphis has not had a typical Memphis season, but I have a gut feeling that this will be a good game. The key to the Game will be Karnowski and Wiltjer. We have got to get points in the paint.

I am feeling good about the game, just not 100%. So what say you GU Nation?

I say:

Gonzaga 71
Memphis 69

DixieZag
01-30-2015, 08:57 AM
I think it will be difficult but not two point difficult.

I think we get out fast again, give some up again and then hold them off with our depth through the second half.

Zags; 76
Not Zags: 69

gomemphistigers1
01-30-2015, 09:02 AM
from the Memphis paper...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/mens-basketball/tigers-facing-tall-order-on-road-saturday-against-no-3-gonzaga_79982208

University of Memphis sophomore guard Avery Woodson wanted to do his own research on No. 3 Gonzaga — the Tigers’ opponent Saturday — so he called up some of his buddies at Southeastern Louisiana, the Southland Conference-member school where Woodson spent one redshirt season out of high school.

Southeastern Louisiana played at Gonzaga’s on-campus arena, the McCarthey Athletic Center, in Spokane, Washington, on Dec. 2, and actually led the Zags 33-32 at the half. So how did the rest of the game go?

“Not very well for Southeastern,” Woodson said.

Gonzaga opened the second half with a 30-4 scoring run in crushing the Lions 76-57. And while Memphis (13-7) was ranked 196 spots higher than Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday in NCAA.com’s daily RPI rankings, there’s probably few outside the Tigers program who expect them to fare much better against the Zags than Woodson’s former school.

College basketball stats wizard Ken Pomeroy gives Memphis, which has won two straight games and 10 of its last 13, just a five-percent chance to beat Gonzaga on Saturday. His projected final score: Gonzaga 78, Memphis 60....

“We’re playing at The Kennel, so we’re going to have to be ready to play. We know it’s going to be a great environment, national television and we’re excited to get there and play,” coach Josh Pastner said. “It’s a great opportunity for us. I mean, obviously Gonzaga is a great team, great program. Mark Few should already be in the Hall of Fame. No reason to wait to put him in. They’re a potential Final Four team.

“But we’re going in there to win the game. We’re not going there just to go up there to play. We’re going to win the game and we’re gonna play great, and we know we’re gonna have to play great. Gonzaga is a big-time team, and this is why you come to Memphis, to play in those type of games.”

it's a pay article, but that's a couple highlights from it.

LongIslandZagFan
01-30-2015, 09:04 AM
Kittens 176
Puppies 40

Reborn
01-30-2015, 09:18 AM
I'm looking forward to the game Saturday against Memphis, but as we all know, Memphis is not the typical Memphis squad that we have seen in past years. Still I am sure that GU fans will be super pumped up for the game because this will be the first time that a great program like Memphis is, will be coming into K2. And Memphis has certainly had it's way with the Zags most of the time in past years. So now we have a team that's really good, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Zags make a statement against Memphis. Memphis is not all that tall. They have two guys 6'9. They do have good overall height though with two other players coming in at 6'7". Their guards are 6'2 and 6'4". However, with that said, they only have one player averaging in double figures (13.3 ppg).

Gonzaga has seldom shot well from behind the 3 pt line two games in a row. So last night I was hoping that they were missing those shots from the outside. That being said, I expect the Zags to shoot well from the outside tonight. Did you all notice how long Kevin was able t sit out last night? He sat out 12 minutes, most in the second half. So he will be well rested last night. And still many fans criticize GU for playing so poorly last night. When was the last time Pangos sat out 12 minutes and the Zags are still able to get a lead with him on the bench of 25 points. Who was playing the point during most of the minutes, Silas Melson with no turnovers. And still many fans posting on this forum criticizing him for being a gunner for missing three 3 pt shots where he was wide open. Taking a second look at the playing time of our starters, Wiltjer played only 22, Wesley 23, Mt K played 24 and Mr Bell 27. I think the Zags will be pretty rested tomorrow night.

Zags 75
Memphis 54

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time

gonzagafan62
01-30-2015, 09:49 AM
Memphis is coming to town, just coming off a win against ECU, and Shaq Goodwin, who has an ankle sprain, is currently going to be available for tomorrow nights game.

This game has lost some of its luster since Memphis has not had a typical Memphis season, but I have a gut feeling that this will be a good game. The key to the Game will be Karnowski and Wiltjer. We have got to get points in the paint.

I am feeling good about the game, just not 100%

I say:

Gonzaga 71
Memphis 69

MickMick
01-30-2015, 09:51 AM
They seem to have trouble defending the perimeter. Doesn't matter. Few will always prefer to work the ball inside first.

I think Wiltjer has a big day.

jim77
01-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Memphis might not be as good as in the past but, they still got some athletes. This is our teams chance to face some PHYSICAL types and get a taste of what they might see in the future. Zags 76 Tigers 62

Reborn
01-30-2015, 10:05 AM
I'm pulling out my new crystal ball to see how it works. I predict that this is going to be Gonzaga's best game of the year. If Memphis will be as physical as Arizona was, then a good win tomorrow will show America how tough Gonzaga is NOW. Between you and me I predict that Memphis will hold GU below 60 like Arizona did. And Imo the Zags will shoot much higher then 40% like they did last night. Or shoot below 30% from the 3 point line. For one thing, our starters will be playing more tomorrow night. I think comparing Memphis more to St John's or even Georgia would be closer then to compare them to Arizona. Gu beat Georgia by 12 on a neutral site, and they beat St. John's in their back yard by just 7, but that was a true Road victory.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

CdAZagFan
01-30-2015, 10:09 AM
GU has to shoot better than last night (and I think they will) but I believe this will be a tough, close game. The Zags depth will allow some separation late in the game. GU 78, Memphis 70.

Reborn
01-30-2015, 10:23 AM
GU has to shoot better than last night (and I think they will) but I believe this will be a tough, close game. The Zags depth will allow some separation late in the game. GU 78, Memphis 70.

My take on home court advantage is that when a team is playing at home they have between a 7-10 point advantage. So when the teams play on a neutral court then their is usually not advantage. So if you are predicting an 8 point victory for GU at home, or a two point victory, then you would figure that if GU played Memphis on a neutral court that, in gonzagagfan62's case that Memphis would win. And if Gonzaga played them on Memphis's home court that both you and gonzagafan62 would predict that Memphis would beat GU at home. I just don't agree with you guys. It's been really tough for teams to win on the road this year, and, imo, Memphis doesn't have much of a chance in K2 tomorrow. On a neutral court, say Madison Square Garden where GU played Georgia, I say GU beats Memphis by 15. And IMO should beat them by 20 at home.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

gonzagafan62
01-30-2015, 10:32 AM
My take on home court advantage is that when a team is playing at home they have between a 7-10 point advantage. So when the teams play on a neutral court then their is usually not advantage. So if you are predicting an 8 point victory for GU at home, or a two point victory, then you would figure that if GU played Memphis on a neutral court that, in gonzagagfan62's case that Memphis would win. And if Gonzaga played them on Memphis's home court that both you and gonzagafan62 would predict that Memphis would beat GU at home. I just don't agree with you guys. It's been really tough for teams to win on the road this year, and, imo, Memphis doesn't have much of a chance in K2 tomorrow. On a neutral court, say Madison Square Garden where GU played Georgia, I say GU beats Memphis by 15. And IMO should beat them by 20 at home.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Well it all depends on how you look at it bornie. Yeah in your mind you would be right. Memphis would win at home and on a neutral court. I just have a hard time believing that we go to the FedEx Forum and win after losing there several other times. Its hard. Its like trying to beat a Big Ten team not named Wisconsin or Minnesota. its hard.

Either way I have faith in our boys. I think either way we would get the job done, I just wouldn't know how. Can we win big? Sure. But its hard for me to calculate. And maybe that's a good thing.

'62.

Zagger
01-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Memphis is coming to town .......
Son-in-law saw them in the Davenport on Thursday. I didn't notice if any of the team was at Thursday's game or not. Guess it can't hurt to get places early - especially with a winter they or us may be having. Wish it was colder for them! :)
Guess it is cold enough. Hope they get the shivers and TO the ball bunches.
I think the Zags will really be up for this game and get down to business! I see KP further padding his 3 pt record, Sabonis impressing siblings, Mt. K busting moves, Wiltjer baffling their D, Wesley catching them asleep, Bell rattling their cages + finding their open lanes, Melson & Draino picking their pockets, EMac making them dizzy and both Nunez & Griffin getting dunks! :)
Zags 80, Memphis under 60
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/beatpacific.png

Kiddwell
01-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Singin' the Blues, a poem
<ahem>
Memphis plays with such pizzazz,
Plays to win, and all that jazz.
But they ain't Calipari's team.
Fallen off, no longer crop's cream.
Still they'll play with effort "Nobel,"
Yet come up short, to Fonzie and Bell.
------
Rockin' - 88
Reelin' - 76

:]

gonzagafan62
01-30-2015, 11:29 AM
from the Memphis paper...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/mens-basketball/tigers-facing-tall-order-on-road-saturday-against-no-3-gonzaga_79982208

it's a pay article, but that's a couple highlights from it.

What an awesome bit of that article, gomemphistigers1. Thanks for sharing.

stevet75
01-30-2015, 11:32 AM
At their place, the Zags beat them by 10+, at the Kennel, the Zags win by 19.

stevet75
01-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Zags by 19. A slow start, up by 3 at the half, then the Zags wear them down.

gonzagafan62
01-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Something to keep an eye on: (From the Memphis boards)

http://memphis.247sports.com/Board/59481/Contents/Crawfords-confidence-at-an-all-time-high-35179478

This guy is shooting lights out. We better be ready!

gonzagafan62
01-30-2015, 01:08 PM
Lets also not forget:
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/1/30/7953529/big-recruiting-weekend-for-gonzaga-as-bulldogs-take-on-memphis

RenoZag
01-31-2015, 07:45 AM
I don't think the Zags will cover but I do believe they will win.

Bulldogs - 76
Tigers - 63

Reborn
01-31-2015, 08:15 AM
It's Game-Day once again. I'm smiling as usual. My first thought today was "It's Saturday." And then came that wonderful tought, "Yes! Gonzaga is playing Memphis today." And then came a wonderful smile on my face."

We have all been waiting for this game because it's Memphis. As one fan wrote, it's really almost a true rivalry. I believe that. I hope the two schools continue to play every year.

What I'm hoping to see today? Of course a twenty point victory. I would also like to see 10 three pointers go through the net. With all the negative things posted bout Melson, I hope he has a great game today. In fact, I hope he has his best game of the year so far. I always love watching Kevin play, especially in K2. I hope he has a great game today. And I confess, I love Kyle Wiltjer's game. I hope to see him get twenty today. And I'd love to see the Zags Keep Memphis below 55 points!

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Zags11
01-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Zags 78
memphis 74

we will be down 2 at half. The bigs will help pull it away.

Sabonis 17, karno 16.

hooter73
01-31-2015, 09:48 AM
We havent palyed against hard nosed athletes like these guys since November. This may not go like so many think it will.

gonzagafan62
01-31-2015, 09:58 AM
We havent palyed against hard nosed athletes like these guys since November. This may not go like so many think it will.

I forgot about the Arizona and BYU games in December too. They aren't tough at all. And I don't think Pepperdine was tough nosed either. Definitely not as athletic, but def, tough nosed team.

raise the zag
01-31-2015, 09:59 AM
Have a feeling their athleticism at every position catches us by surprise.

Its been nearly 2 months since we faced a truly "athletic/long" team.

Memphis guards are still 6'4" and can tomahawk dunk. They have 4/5 star guys at most positions. While they aren't "gelling", they are still talented and quick/fast/strong.

The key will be Sabonis/Wiltjer/Karnowski. They will have little trouble scoring, imho. As for our guards, well, Wesley is at his absolute best vs athletic teams -- both offensively and defensively. Unless Pangos is making area code J's, they'll keep him guarded. It'd be nice to see GBJ be aggressive and actually his lay-ups, as I love when he drives across the lane and to the hoop. Big strong kid, most don't get in his way.

Our guards may become frustrated this game. They've had their way when they want vs WCC, yet GBJ/Pang/Melson/Draino may struggle tonight. Memphis holding backcourts to 28% from 3pt and around 35% FG.

Memphis has yet to stop a single dominant post-player this season. See SMU, Wichita, etc.

I could see Wiltjer scoring in bunches. Domas as well. Karno will be doubled most likely.

We better hope our guards hit their wide-open shots when our bigs are covered, b/c it will make things interesting to say the least.

Memphis is focused and fired up. Just examine their message boards, twitter, articles, quotes, etc. They want this win BIG time. They view it as their season's saving grace. Coach Pastner has said the same. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. Dangerous.

The pressure is on the Zags. IF they win, fairly solid, yet nothing special vs team with 75 RPI; however, if they lose, it will be "told you so" by endless pundits and critics. "just another example of soft, overrated Gonzaga losing to an athletically superior team. Paper tiger, not worthy of Top seed, crappy conference etc".

In many ways, most important game of the year in terms of NCAA perception, national respect, seeding, etc. NOT the most important game as fans and team, yet definitely a can't lose type of game. We'd receive more critique losing to Memphis than we would losing to Santa Clara -- guaranteed. It is what it is.

Point is -- memphis will play loose, inspired, all eggs in one basket. If we play tight or overly confident, we will lose.

Memphis is the type of team waiting to explode, prove everyone wrong, they started the season ranked in Top-20. They want it back. They have the horses, yet the trainer is questionable.

I feel Memphis plays with us. Until 12 mins in 2nd half, when our bigs break through. Take over. Guards hit a couple shots they've been missing vs good defense.

Tigres - 66
Zagzillas - 74

Reborn
01-31-2015, 10:11 AM
I wonder how Raisetheflag has done in his predictions this year. I smell so much fear in his post. As if Memphis is some kind of scary giant. The key to basketball is putting the ball in the basket. My guess is that GU's D is better then their's. If I were Memphis fans, I'd be worrying for sure about this game. They are not going to come into K2 and embarrass the Zags!!! I love guys like Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell, Byron Wesley, Mt Karno, Kyle Wiltjer, Sabonis, Dranginis and Melson. To me these are the REAL ATHLETES. I'll take GU any day against Memphis this year. I absolutely have no fear at all.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

raise the zag
01-31-2015, 10:20 AM
I wonder how Raisetheflag has done in his predictions this year. I smell so much fear in his post. As if Memphis is some kind of scary giant. The key to basketball is putting the ball in the basket. My guess is that GU's D is better then their's. If I were Memphis fans, I'd be worrying for sure about this game. They are not going to come into K2 and embarrass the Zags!!! I love guys like Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell, Byron Wesley, Mt Karno, Kyle Wiltjer, Sabonis, Dranginis and Melson. To me these are the REAL ATHLETES. I'll take GU any day against Memphis this year. I absolutely have no fear at all.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58673231.jpg

gomemphistigers1
01-31-2015, 10:21 AM

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

lol, 13-7, losing to teams like CBU, Stephen F Austin, Tulane, etc is not Memphis basketball.

Memphis fans are waiting for a new coach. Gonzaga will win by 20+

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-31-2015, 10:23 AM
I think this will be a game where Karno has more assists than rebounds. Memphis will double him relentlessly and he will make them pay with brilliant passes to cutting wings and open guards.

Wiltjer will be the game's high scorer.

Final score:
Tigers 62
Zags 74

raise the zag
01-31-2015, 10:39 AM
will be interesting to see whether or not Domas and Shem can successfully guard Memphis' athletic forwards.

It was the sole reason we nearly lost to Pepp (Davis) and why we lost to Zona (Ashley).

They pull them away from hoop and go right around 'em(Karno) or shoot over 'em(Sabonis) -- possibly our achilles heal. WCC teams, save Pepp don't have players to take advantage of our somewhat slower bigs.

We beat P-Dine by 15 and Arizona by 6 if we could defend athletically skilled forwards.

Primary reason we DO NOT want Louisville, Nova, UNC, Iowa State, or even VCU come Tourney time. All feature crazy athletic PF's who happen to be their leading scorers/rebounders.

Kong-Kool-Aid
01-31-2015, 10:42 AM
Gonzaga 69- Memphis 51

BeachZag
01-31-2015, 11:17 AM
I think it is a hard decision for any coach coming in to play the Zags, who do you put your best defender on? As we have seen, on any given game any number of Zags can step up, but what I like about watching them (and I was in the crown to see Pango's record setting night) is that 1 player does not have to step up - it is a team game and they play it well that way.
Zags by 20! Go Zags.

Hoopaholic
01-31-2015, 12:36 PM
first half memphis doubles down leaving open three looks and we hit hem
second half they mix it up doubling from weakside leaving our cutters open
our team defense is stiffening up

zags 74
rigers 62

Zag4Hire
01-31-2015, 01:40 PM
It would be nice to scratch another notch on Revenge Tour 2014-15 although it was real close with AZ. One of my good friends played golf for Memphis U and he is one of the most obnoxious fans (I can still remember his drunken scream when CDR hit that shot in '07). It speaks volumes that he hasn't been really talking much about this season but Memphis should always be taken seriously and I still hope GU hammers them. The spread is hovering around -17 points! Seriously that is crazy and how the mighty have fallen. I don't think GU covers but I don't think the game is really that close.

GU 78
Memphis 66

jazzdelmar
01-31-2015, 01:41 PM
This is a real team. Suffice to say they would come 2d in the WCC. To make hay, ratings wise and seeding wise, the Zags need to crush this team, wire to wire, 20 points or more, no slow down at the eight minute mark, no Nunez at any point.

Baldwinzag
01-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Feel 'em out in the 1st, finish 'em off in the 2nd.

Zags by 12.