PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game- Portland - 1.29.2015

RenoZag
01-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Sabonis and Karnowski rack up double-doubles. Pangos breaks the 3 point shooting mark. The Zags are 21 -1.

Give us your thoughts and your votes for tonight's player of the game, Zag fans.

GAME STATS (http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=68836&a=1)

hooter73
01-29-2015, 07:00 PM
In before poll.

Karno.

Zagdawg
01-29-2015, 07:01 PM
Karno

jpn17
01-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Lots of good efforts from the good guys again. I'll follow the pack and also go Karno, but you could go with a decent number of players tonight and be "correct." Great team D all around yet again. I love the effort they've been putting into the defense recently.

seacatfan
01-29-2015, 07:03 PM
I voted for team defense. That was a butt ugly game tonight, but managed to win by almost 20.

jazzdelmar
01-29-2015, 07:05 PM
Sabonis brings a different dimension when he enters. Motor, precision, smarts.

Marcus
01-29-2015, 07:15 PM
So hard to pick tonight. Sabonis and Karnowski owned the glass. Zags shoot 40% fg, 22% 3s, and still win by close to 20??? I'd say this team is something different than we've seen in years past. Could easily vote for team D as it was suffocating when they turned it up. But I voted for Kevin, he was one of the only ones shooting well. He got the record on his first attempt, which was awesome. And most of all, so in control of the game. The offense just doesn't run smoothly at all without him. He is definitely the most important player on the team.

gonzagafan62
01-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Pangos

gozagswoohoo
01-29-2015, 07:31 PM
P-town.

He etches his name into the wall of legends of Gonzaga. And we have had some good ones!

Mantua
01-29-2015, 07:32 PM
Pangos

DixieZag
01-29-2015, 07:42 PM
I voted for team defense. That was a butt ugly game tonight, but managed to win by almost 20.

I see where you're going, but I was lucky enough to be sitting down on the Portland second half side, right up behind they bench, I'll tell you, they missed a whole lot of easy shots. The defense was not bad, by any means but the lack of scoring was partly due to UP not being able to hit anything. Still, hold a team to less than 20 pts in a half and you're playing great defense.

We couldn't hit much either for long streaks. Good thing was we were getting great shots, ball just wasn't falling.

Bocco
01-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Team Defense - Portland may have missed a whole lot of easy shots but they were all contested easy shots. They held the Pilots to 29.5% shooting for the game allowing 25 first half points and 21 second half points. The second half was outstanding limiting them to just 7 points over the first fifteen plus minutes- 2 field goals 3 free throws.

TravelinZag
01-29-2015, 08:09 PM
Terrific team defense. Offense: nine players scoring, four in double figures. Props to Kevin for the record, for hitting 3s when most others were cold (except KW), and for running the offense with a steady hand. Two double/doubles: Sabonis & Karno. Domas scored 3 more points and added 2 assists and a steal. But Karno added 4 assists, three blocks and two steals, plus kept his head clear while absorbing a beating. Didn't get angry or down on himself; just played through it. Great sign, and he gets my vote.

OZZY
01-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Terrific team defense. Offense: nine players scoring, four in double figures. Props to Kevin for the record, for hitting 3s when most others were cold (except KW), and for running the offense with a steady hand. Two double/doubles: Sabonis & Karno. Domas scored 3 more points and added 2 assists and a steal. But Karno added 4 assists, three blocks and two steals, plus kept his head clear while absorbing a beating. Didn't get angry or down on himself; just played through it. Great sign, and he gets my vote.

My sentiments as well!

DixieZag
01-29-2015, 08:19 PM
Team Defense - Portland may have missed a whole lot of easy shots but they were all contested easy shots. They held the Pilots to 29.5% shooting for the game allowing 25 first half points and 21 second half points. The second half was outstanding limiting them to just 7 points over the first fifteen plus minutes- 2 field goals 3 free throws.

I didn't have the numbers in front of me. I saw lots of uncontested misses - or it could just seem that way. One thing I was impressed with was the number of times they turned them over and I thought the rebounding was good.

Regardless, good win when they were having a hard time getting shots to go down.

Pangos for G-Unit. He played well and how could it not be his when he broke the record tonight? :)

ZagsGoZags
01-29-2015, 09:20 PM
I had to vote Pangos,
possibly the best defense I have seen him play
and his passing to the bigs is not acclaimed nearly as much as deserved,
for his passing keeps the opposition spead out, and often off balance.
How many of the points made by our bigs comes from his setting it up, and his passing inside?
I will answer. A lot.

seacatfan
01-29-2015, 10:47 PM
I see where you're going, but I was lucky enough to be sitting down on the Portland second half side, right up behind they bench, I'll tell you, they missed a whole lot of easy shots. The defense was not bad, by any means but the lack of scoring was partly due to UP not being able to hit anything. Still, hold a team to less than 20 pts in a half and you're playing great defense.

We couldn't hit much either for long streaks. Good thing was we were getting great shots, ball just wasn't falling.

I was thinking more of the forced turnovers, many of which turned into layups and dunks for the Zags when their halfcourt offense wasn't producing much. That's what really stretched the lead out and effectively ended the game.

kitzbuel
01-30-2015, 01:31 AM
I went with the Baltic Hammer.

Sabonis is going to be a monster.

jazzdelmar
01-30-2015, 01:56 AM
The #3 team played ten good minutes, the third quarter. Not sure who those guys were the balance of the game. They had all the grace and precision of Thanksgiving day floats.

Zagger
01-30-2015, 03:16 AM
The #3 team played ten good minutes, the third quarter. Not sure who those guys were the balance of the game. They had all the grace and precision of Thanksgiving day floats.
The Pilots definitely clogged the Zags up with their own D. I voted team D. It produced the point spread. Offiiating was perplexing to me. Lots of no calls early then the door swung the other way. Sabonis & Karnowski handled that situation the best I'd seen - water off a duck's back for the most part. I was impressed with Melson's hustle!

ZagaZags
01-30-2015, 03:21 AM
Sabonis is a no-brainer.

Birddog
01-30-2015, 03:29 AM
I gave the slightest of edges to Sabonis over PK, and KP.

LongIslandZagFan
01-30-2015, 03:33 AM
Karno was the rock when they were having troubles late 1st and early 2nd half.

seasontixholder
01-30-2015, 07:05 AM
I went with team defense, too. Our senior guards were excellent in that regard. Between them and PK, it made it impossible for Wintering to operate efficiently. Ergo, Portland never stood a chance.

In addition, the aggressiveness gradually wore down the legs of the Pilot's shooters and their second half misses were the results. Not to mention multiple easy picks later by the fresher GU subs. And, had things not degenerated in garbage time, then the point total might not have reached 40.

This particular matchup (Bell-Wintering) might be Gary's very best fit when it comes to neutralizing any opponent's chances. He knows the guy's habits well, and he never let Wintering get going while he was on the court. And any time that Wintering was able to get around him (or with a screen), PK was there to put him in jail around the bucket. For that reason, I hope to have Portland as one of the opponents in LV.

One last word: spending energy on better defense doesn't come without a price. Some of the poorer shooting and unwise/forced offensive plays were the result of the fatigue it costs. Also, the first half saw long stretches of action, with both teams running crazily, as the referees let things get ragged (Wiltjer went far too long in one of them). Few once had to call a timeout in order to set things straight. So, there was a set of reasons why GU's offensive efficiency suffered for awhile. It eventually restored itself.

MTZag03
01-30-2015, 07:15 AM
I went with the Baltic Hammer.

Sabonis is going to be a monster.

Baltic Hammer and Polish Anvil?

bballbeachbum
01-30-2015, 07:31 AM
Team D. nice to see that choice up there when I logged in just now Reno. was going to go with 'other' otherwise. each game is its own thing, this one turned on that overwhelming advantage I thought

RenoZag
01-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Team D. nice to see that choice up there when I logged in just now Reno. was going to go with 'other' otherwise. each game is its own thing, this one turned on that overwhelming advantage I thought

Last night I thought about making one of the choices "Karbonis". . .

RenoZag
01-30-2015, 09:14 AM
STORY LINK (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2015/jan/29/pangos-sets-3-point-record-gu-win/)

“We’ve had some games where our defense has won it for us already,” Few said. “Certainly that was the case tonight.”

Gonzaga never found its stride offensively. The Zags’ 40.7 percent shooting was their second lowest of the season (39.7 percent vs. Arizona). Subtract Pangos’ 3 of 5 and the Zags were 2 of 17 beyond the 3-point line.

“Some nights are like that,” freshman guard Silas Melson said. “We were just missing easy shots.”

Reborn
01-30-2015, 10:25 AM
Very good game for Sabonis. 13 and 11, another double-double.

Go Zags!!!

cjm720
01-30-2015, 11:08 AM
Sabonis!

bballbeachbum
01-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Last night I thought about making one of the choices "Karbonis". . .

just might have chosen that one