PDA

View Full Version : OT - 2015 Burger Boy Rosters Announced

RenoZag
01-28-2015, 02:34 PM
STORY LINK (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/12243846/mcdonald-all-american-game-rosters-unveiled?src=mobile)

Only 9 of the 24 selectees are uncommitted.

The game will be played in Chicago on 4/1.

seacatfan
01-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Interesting to look at the list. Still a handful that haven't committed yet, but Kentucky is way off their normal pace with only 1! LSU hasn't recruited like this in a long, long time. Interesting to see teams like South Carolina and Marquette pop up. Some of the usual suspects like Duke and Kansas, but North Carolina with none at this point.

RenoZag
01-28-2015, 03:24 PM
seacat, I don't really follow the recruiting side of things very much. My casual, uninformed reaction to seeing the number of uncommitted kids was surprise.
I guess I always assumed those athletes were spoken for by this time in the recruiting season.

seacatfan
01-28-2015, 03:41 PM
seacat, I don't really follow the recruiting side of things very much. My casual, uninformed reaction to seeing the number of uncommitted kids was surprise.
I guess I always assumed those athletes were spoken for by this time in the recruiting season.

Recruiting is continually evolving. I'm not an expert or insider, but I do get the impression many of the kids considering themselves one-and-doners wait til the late signing period so they can see who declares for early entry to the draft and have a better idea where they can go and expect to get lots of PT early on to showcase themselves. Or something like that.

seacatfan
01-28-2015, 04:47 PM
It's kinda sad, almost nobody on the West roster is actually from anywhere remotely in the West. 1 from California (what they heck is going on in Cali, used to produce a bunch of blue chippers) and 3 from Nevada. Not sure how many of those kids are actually from Nevada, they play at prep schools that are like all-star teams and draw kids from all over.

LongIslandZagFan
01-28-2015, 06:33 PM
Interesting to look at the list. Still a handful that haven't committed yet, but Kentucky is way off their normal pace with only 1! LSU hasn't recruited like this in a long, long time. Interesting to see teams like South Carolina and Marquette pop up. Some of the usual suspects like Duke and Kansas, but North Carolina with none at this point.

No worries... Kentucky will get a good chunk of the uncommitted.

seacatfan
01-28-2015, 08:10 PM
No worries... Kentucky will get a good chunk of the uncommitted.

Yeah, unfortunately probably true.

LongIslandZagFan
01-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Yeah, unfortunately probably true.

But yet it is SUCH a clean program.

basketballzag
01-29-2015, 06:04 AM

Last time LSU recruited like this was with Dale Brown at the helm and his assistant coach Johnny Jones rolling up the top tier recruits. Now that Johnny Jones is back at LSU as the head coach the basketball program has been rejuvenated. Jones is one of the best recruiters in the US and is one of the reasons that Kentucky is now starting to have issues.

TexasZagFan
01-29-2015, 06:35 AM
What does it say about Gonzaga's consistent success, and we're off the charts on recruiting, year in and year out. Simply amazing, if you ask me.

seacatfan
01-29-2015, 11:06 AM
Last time LSU recruited like this was with Dale Brown at the helm and his assistant coach Johnny Jones rolling up the top tier recruits. Now that Johnny Jones is back at LSU as the head coach the basketball program has been rejuvenated. Jones is one of the best recruiters in the US and is one of the reasons that Kentucky is now starting to have issues.

I didn't realize Jones was an assistant at LSU back then. Yeah I was thinking about when they brought in Chris Jackson, Stanley Roberts and Shaquille O'Neal over a couple of years. They've managed to nab a blue chipper here or there over the years, but not consistently. Louisiana and Mississippi produce some talented players and it seems like many of them like to stay close to home for college.

seacatfan
01-29-2015, 11:08 AM
What does it say about Gonzaga's consistent success, and we're off the charts on recruiting, year in and year out. Simply amazing, if you ask me.

You can definitely win big without getting Burger Boys. Gonzaga does it, so do some other schools. Virginia has been winning at a really high clip the last couple years and I don't think they have anyone that was even close to be a Burger Boy on their roster.

CDC84
01-29-2015, 12:59 PM
I don't know if I have ever seen a roster that has featured this many players who are undecided at this point about their school choice.........

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/12243846/mcdonald-all-american-game-rosters-unveiled

East

Dwayne Bacon (Florida State)

Antonio Blakeney (LSU)

Isaiah Briscoe (Kentucky)

Jaylen Brown (Undecided)

Thomas Bryant (Undecided)

Cheick Diallo, (Undecided)

Henry Ellenson (Marquette)

Jawun Evans (Oklahoma State)

Luke Kennard (Duke)

Dedric Lawson (Memphis)

Ben Simmons (LSU)

Diamond Stone (Undecided)

West

Carlton Bragg (Kansas)​

Jalen Brunson (Villanova)

Deyonta Davis (Michigan State)

P.J. Dozier (South Carolina)

Brandon Ingram (Undecided)

Chase Jeter (Duke),

Malik Newman (Undecided)

Ivan Rabb (Undecided)

Malachi Richardson (Syracuse)

Caleb Swanigan (Undecided)

Allonzo Trier (Arizona)

Stephen Zimmerman (Undecided)

LongIslandZagFan
01-29-2015, 01:05 PM
I don't know if I have ever seen a roster that has featured this many players who are undecided at this point about their school choice.........

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/12243846/mcdonald-all-american-game-rosters-unveiled

East

Antonio Blakeney (LSU)

Jaylen Brown (Undecided)

Luke Kennard (Duke)

Dedric Lawson (Memphis)

Ben Simmons (LSU)

West

Carlton Bragg (Kansas)​

Chase Jeter (Duke),

Malik Newman (Undecided)

Ivan Rabb (Undecided)

Allonzo Trier (Arizona)

I am sure those are typos... the should read Kentucky.

seacatfan
01-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Saw some conjecture about how many of the undecideds Kentucky will get on another site. Apparently they are already 2 over the scholarship limit for next year. Surely they will lose some of their big guys, but this doesn't really look like a year where they will have 5 or 6 NBA draft picks. Unless they start pulling schollies whole sale from current players, they really aren't going to be able to add 5 more guys from this list.

CDC84
01-29-2015, 01:33 PM
It is to my understanding that there have been only two teams who have managed to win a national title without a Burger Boy on its roster since the game has been in place: the Maryland team with Juan Dixon, and last season's UConn team.

DixieZag
01-29-2015, 01:36 PM

Boy, I wonder what changed at LSU so very quickly? I wonder what totally out of the blue thing happened that would make that happen so suddenly, I sure wonder what can "account" for that. Total mystery.

Oh, and above it was noted that the west had so few and there are only a few California kids and a couple from Nevada or something - the ones "from" Nevada may not really be from there at all, but guys that come from all over the place to play at Bishop G. To me, those kids don't really qualify as "western kids."

And, none from the NW? That seems unusual, too.

CDC84
01-29-2015, 01:39 PM
Is it just me or does the the Pacific NW just no longer generate the amount of talent it once did. I remember back to the days of Josh Heytvelt and Pendo, and there seemed to be high major players all over the place back then.

Marcus
01-29-2015, 01:43 PM
It is to my understanding that there have been only two teams who have managed to win a national title without a Burger Boy on its roster since the game has been in place: the Maryland team with Juan Dixon, and last season's UConn team.

Well its a good thing we have one on our team than in Kyle Wiltjer :p

RenoZag
01-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Duke cut one of their burger boys this afternoon ( Rasheed Sulaimon) and have another BB to replace him, freshman Grayson Allen.

UVA is probably licking their chops

seacatfan
01-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Is it just me or does the the Pacific NW just no longer generate the amount of talent it once did. I remember back to the days of Josh Heytvelt and Pendo, and there seemed to be high major players all over the place back then.

It's cyclical I think. Seattle was churning out 1 or 2 Burger Boys a year for a while, but not lately. Portland has had several high level recruits as well. But California is a huge state with a huge population, LA in particular. It's inexplicable there aren't more players in the game from there. Agree with the comment about Bishop Gorman and the kids from Nevada aren't necessarily from Nevada. Several Canadian players have ended up there in recent years.

seacatfan
01-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Boy, I wonder what changed at LSU so very quickly? I wonder what totally out of the blue thing happened that would make that happen so suddenly, I sure wonder what can "account" for that. Total mystery.

Oh, and above it was noted that the west had so few and there are only a few California kids and a couple from Nevada or something - the ones "from" Nevada may not really be from there at all, but guys that come from all over the place to play at Bishop G. To me, those kids don't really qualify as "western kids."

And, none from the NW? That seems unusual, too.

I don't recall anything about the LSU program back then. Did they get in trouble with the NCAA? I know Brown retired eventually and they've gone thru a handful of coaches since then, none of which has had sustained success.

seacatfan
01-29-2015, 04:21 PM
Duke cut one of their burger boys this afternoon ( Rasheed Sulaimon) and have another BB to replace him, freshman Grayson Allen.

It's interesting to note that before the dismissal, they had a 2G that was a Burger Boy from 3 successive classes, none of which was doing much. Between Sulaimon and Allen was Matt Jones. And they have another coming in next year (Kennard). Do kids just not pay attention at all? How many consecutive All Star 2G can go to Duke and watch their career go down in flames before All Star 2G quit going to Duke?

Birddog
01-29-2015, 04:40 PM

East

Antonio Blakeney (LSU)

Jaylen Brown (Undecided)

Luke Kennard (Duke)

Dedric Lawson (Memphis)

Ben Simmons (LSU)

West

Carlton Bragg (Kansas)​

Chase Jeter (Duke),

Malik Newman (Undecided)

Ivan Rabb (Undecided)

Allonzo Trier (Arizona)

Maybe this is why McD's CEO was fired.

Mantua
01-29-2015, 07:42 PM

Cut Sulaimon??? Google time!

Mantua
01-29-2015, 07:48 PM
Shocking move by Coach K.

"His issues didn't outweigh his talent."