PDA

View Full Version : OT - how to stop students from storming the court

CDC84
01-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Notre Dame's Jerian Grant did so brilliantly last night after Notre Dame defeated Duke:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-01-28/notre-dame-beats-duke-jerian-grant-court-storm-rush-court-blue-devils?eadid=SOC/twi/SNMain

Zagdawg
01-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Well done.

Zag_Dad
01-29-2015, 08:34 AM
I don't recall the students ever rushing the court in Spokane or Vegas. Perhaps its has to do with the fact that we are usually favored at home and those wins are not "court rushing" worthy. In any event, I applaud Grant's actions. Rushing the court can lead to injuries to athletes or fans.

Celebrate in the stands or Jack and Dan's, not the court.

GO ZAGS

MTZag03
01-29-2015, 08:36 AM
I believe Gonzaga fans rushed the court after beating Santa Clara on a last second shot like nine years ago.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Would've been stupid for them to rush the court anyway. Both teams are in top 10, only 4 spots apart...

gu03alum
01-29-2015, 08:43 AM
I fail to see the problem with storming the court.

Angelo Roncalli
01-29-2015, 08:45 AM
I believe Gonzaga fans rushed the court after beating Santa Clara on a last second shot like nine years ago.

It was at Santa Clara in 2004, I believe. Travis Neisen wanted to take on the entire GU crowd.

zagfan24
01-29-2015, 08:48 AM

It's overdone and cliche, which are negligble concerns. More than anything, it's unsafe, especially for the student athletes. It's somewhat incredible to me that there hasn't been a major incident. Alcohol + hysteria + crowd mentality = potential for something to turn ugly quickly.

gu03alum
01-29-2015, 08:59 AM
It's overdone and cliche, which are negligble concerns. More than anything, it's unsafe, especially for the student athletes. It's somewhat incredible to me that there hasn't been a major incident. Alcohol + hysteria + crowd mentality = potential for something to turn ugly quickly.

I guess so. Ugly hasn't really happened before. I doubt it will in the future. Student athletes can get injured during the game, walking to class, going to a party afterward etc.

Zag_Dad
01-29-2015, 09:16 AM

All it takes is one unfortunate injury to change your mind.. ask Joe Kay. If that happened to Kevin Pangos or any one of our players, you may have a different opinion.

GO ZAGS

CDC84
01-29-2015, 09:37 AM
It's not just students who might get injured, but older people in the stands. I know of one older man who was knocked to the ground and had his shoulder separated when students tried to climb over him during a court rush.

And then you have idiots bringing kids on to the floor in wheelchairs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhjw_mo3D2k

The kid was almost trampled to death, but got rescused by a NC State player.

The SEC started fining schools for allowing court stormings a few years ago. I know South Carolina was fined $25,000 after last year's court storming when they took down Kentucky. You rarely see it in the SEC these days.

If they are going to allow court stormings, it is imperative that the visiting team get off the floor right away. I once went to a Stanford/Cal game where the Cal students stormed and were beating on some of the Cardinal players. Police had to get involved, arrests were made, etc. It was quite ugly.

gu03alum
02-05-2015, 06:01 AM
I'm with Titus.

LINK (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ncaa-basketball-power-rankings-kentucky-wildcats-duke-blue-devils-wisconsin-badgers-virginia-cavaliers-gonzaga-bulldogs-kevin-pangos-arizona-villanova-kansas-jayhawks-notre-dame-fighting-irish-louisvi/)

When Notre Dame beat Duke last week, Jerian Grant told the Irish student section not to storm the court. They listened. Three days later, Pitt beat eighth-ranked Notre Dame to give the Panthers their only marquee win of the season. Pitt fans also refrained from storming the court. And with that, my two biggest pet peeves in sports — court-storming etiquette and calling things “classy” — have joined forces. Wow, such a CLASSY move by Jerian Grant! You don’t storm the court when you’re ranked, the game is on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m., and Digger Phelps is in the house. Everyone knows that’s just not classy.

Here’s my official stance on court-storming for anyone who hasn’t already heard it: Who gives a ####? There should be no rules. I support court-storming on the road. I support court-storming after losses. If Kentucky played Florida A&M tomorrow at home, won by 100, and UK fans stormed the court, I wouldn’t flinch. It’s my dream to one day see a student section storm the court after every game, no matter the circumstances or outcome. I’m so against court-storming rules that I feel guilty for saying there shouldn’t be rules, because saying there shouldn’t be rules feels like a rule.

The notion that storming the court makes a program look weak needs to die. The “program” doesn’t storm the court — college students looking for a good time do. It hurts my brain to think about how dumb this debate is. Court-storming doesn’t make you weak, just like not storming the court doesn’t make you classy. Everyone calm down and stop pretending to care about this.

zagfan24
02-24-2015, 05:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12373038/chaotic-court-storming-mars-kansas-state-wildcats-win-kansas-jayhawks

Allowing students to storm the court remains a recipe for disaster. I suppose it will be looked at seriously when a player is seriously hurt...and eventually banned when somebody is killed. There's just no reason for it.

gonzagafan62
02-24-2015, 05:55 AM
I'm with Titus.

LINK (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ncaa-basketball-power-rankings-kentucky-wildcats-duke-blue-devils-wisconsin-badgers-virginia-cavaliers-gonzaga-bulldogs-kevin-pangos-arizona-villanova-kansas-jayhawks-notre-dame-fighting-irish-louisvi/)

I'm with 03

Hoopaholic
02-24-2015, 06:14 AM
its a game played by college kids, intended for college kids and should be enjoyed by college kids.

simple preparation to ensure the safety of the floor is all that is needed, beginning with stadium seating allocation for students, appropriate safety plans and an engaged security that allows for the safety of the visiting team......

I just shake my head at the "adult" crowd who get all up in knots about this subject and "how dare they".....these usually are the same ones who come late to the game, leave early at half time to go have their martini and depart early, rarely getting off their butts during the game and provide PGA style clapping on a thunderous dunk

Let the kids be kids and provide some proactive steps to make it as safe as possible

bartruff1
02-24-2015, 06:16 AM
its a game played by college kids, intended for college kids and should be enjoyed by college kids.

simple preparation to ensure the safety of the floor is all that is needed, beginning with stadium seating allocation for students, appropriate safety plans and an engaged security that allows for the safety of the visiting team......

I just shake my head at the "adult" crowd who get all up in knots about this subject and "how dare they".....these usually are the same ones who come late to the game, leave early at half time to go have their martini and depart early, rarely getting off their butts during the game and provide PGA style clapping on a thunderous dunk

Let the kids be kids and provide some proactive steps to make it as safe as possible

Couldn't agree more....

willandi
02-24-2015, 07:30 AM
While it is a game for College, both students and athletes, storming the court can be dangerous, even to the young. As Self said, at some point a storming student will hit a player and that player will hit back. Injuries and lawsuits will result.

Part of the problem is that the schools have pushed seating to the extreme, making it hard to provide any security. Perhaps if each teams bench emptied toward the nearest wall and had a barrier to keep students from crossing it would help. It may be that review of all the video could locate the students involved and they could be punished, somehow, but when it is hundreds or more, it makes even that hard to do.

The extreme solution would be, if the students storm the court, the win is vacated. I don't know if even the threat of that would work. Probably the only real solution is a multilevel railing that prohibits crossing, and any that force their way over, under, around or through, would be expelled from the school.

It is a danger! Let them express their joy by burning cars in the parking lot outside! (tongue in cheek)

I don't know the final solution. Fining the schools seems to help, prohibiting alcohol and/or entry to those that appear to have been drinking, or smell like it, might play a part, and perhaps for repeat offending schools, loss of scholarships, but even that seems harsh.

Anybody have any ideas on how to stop stormings? If realistic ideas can be come up with, they could be forwarded to different conference headquarters...we know that the NCAA is devoid of thought and reason!

Zagceo
02-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Things will change when insurance companies and lawyers have 1 victim to justify rate increases because of 1 judgment in court.

Roy Williams wishes he had a crowd willing to storm the court!

CDC84
02-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Well, apparently the Kansas State Police are looking for some dude who went after a Kansas player last night during the court storm:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-02-24/kansas-k-state-upset-court-storm-fan-jamari-traylor-police

The picture below doesn't do justice to what happened. The link above has video footage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-ntVKaUsAASoHM.jpg:large

webspinnre
02-24-2015, 11:49 AM
And Bill Self was also swarmed. This is my concern. Celebrating is awesome, but you've got to find a way to do it safely.

sittingon50
02-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Tas 'em, bro.

CDC84
02-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Wonder if the Big 12 will discipline that Jayhawk assistant for putting that kid in a head lock during the court storm?

zag944
02-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Feels like nearly every team that has been in the WCC for awhile with us has had a chance to storm the court. While I've really hated it at the time (mostly just being mad about the loss), I'm glad it has generally been done about as respectfully as these things can go. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but if not the WCC deserves a pat on the back.

seacatfan
02-24-2015, 12:44 PM
There was an ugly incident with fans and players fighting during an NBA game several years ago. Wasn't a court storming. Maybe somebody throwing something at players on the floor was the catalyst? Anyway the possibility exists. While court stormings can be a spontaneous outpouring of excitement and joy, I agree it's one brawl away from becoming a major problem, which could happen any time.

sittingon50
02-24-2015, 12:56 PM
The K St. Ath. Dept's excuse that their security didn't have time to get in place is total BS.

CDC84
02-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Feels like nearly every team that has been in the WCC for awhile with us has had a chance to storm the court. While I've really hated it at the time (mostly just being mad about the loss), I'm glad it has generally been done about as respectfully as these things can go. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but if not the WCC deserves a pat on the back.

It helps that the WCC court storms happen at 3,000 seat gyms as opposed to 15,000 seat arenas. There's more room on the floor for the Zags to safely make their exit.

TexasZagFan
02-24-2015, 01:13 PM
It helps that the WCC court storms happen at 3,000 seat gyms as opposed to 15,000 seat arenas. There's more room on the floor for the Zags to safely make their exit.

I thought it was pretty dangerous on the McKeon floor Saturday night, what with all the blood, sweat, and ripped out organs left on the court. Had to have been extremely slippery.

Birddog
02-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Self and the Jayhawks have been the victims of storming 3 times in 3 weeks. Lesson: don't lose away games if you're Kansas.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Win the game. Nobody storms the court when we beat them.

WBM
02-24-2015, 02:17 PM
For the debate about whether storming a court is "not classy:"

Imagine there's a basketball game going on, and the only spectators were the home team's family members. Maybe 30 people. At the end of a closely contested game, the players of the home team have won (an underdog going into the game) skip the handshake line and instead run to the sideline of the court and start celebrating their win along with their families. Instead of a respectful "Good game", the other team hears "OH MY GOSH, WE WON!"

That scenario is not much different, in my mind, from a packed-house, underdog home team court storming. The sportsmanship is thrown out in favor of immediate celebration. I don't think it's just low-brow, I think it's rude.

There is definitely an argument to be made for it being "weak" too. If I'm honest, I would hope that GU's student section would stay put if we beat a 1st-ranked Kentucky coming into the Kennel. It would be incredibly exciting, and even as a 28 year old, I might find myself at Jack & Dan's shortly after the game to celebrate. But storming the court in a froth of uncontrollable glee over beating the #1 team in America shouts that we weren't sure we could do it in the first place.

The injuries are the more objective problem, though. I have watched plenty of court stormings on TV, and it isn't that rare to see a guy trip and cause a pile-up, or someone getting stepped on. It's not just the players who are at risk for injury, it's everyone involved. I remember a couple years back when Florida State went off at home against North Carolina, and Roy Williams pulled his starting five, and had the benchwarmers in the game instead, standing right next to the sideline -- he was ready to get his players off the court and out of there ASAP. I can't blame him.

I can totally understand why a mob of hyped up 18-21 year olds might want to storm the court, but I'm not a fan of it. At least wait until after the handshake line, and let them onto the court in a slightly more controlled manner to celebrate with the players.

WBM
02-24-2015, 02:18 PM
I thought it was pretty dangerous on the McKeon floor Saturday night, what with all the blood, sweat, and ripped out organs left on the court. Had to have been extremely slippery.

:lmao:

Zippyzaggy
02-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Well, apparently the Kansas State Police are looking for some dude who went after a Kansas player last night during the court storm:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-02-24/kansas-k-state-upset-court-storm-fan-jamari-traylor-police

The picture below doesn't do justice to what happened. The link above has video footage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-ntVKaUsAASoHM.jpg:large

Anyone else see the picture of JESUS on the fans left knee? haha

seacatfan
02-24-2015, 02:50 PM
For the debate about whether storming a court is "not classy:"

Imagine there's a basketball game going on, and the only spectators were the home team's family members. Maybe 30 people. At the end of a closely contested game, the players of the home team have won (an underdog going into the game) skip the handshake line and instead run to the sideline of the court and start celebrating their win along with their families. Instead of a respectful "Good game", the other team hears "OH MY GOSH, WE WON!"

That scenario is not much different, in my mind, from a packed-house, underdog home team court storming. The sportsmanship is thrown out in favor of immediate celebration. I don't think it's just low-brow, I think it's rude.

There is definitely an argument to be made for it being "weak" too. If I'm honest, I would hope that GU's student section would stay put if we beat a 1st-ranked Kentucky coming into the Kennel. It would be incredibly exciting, and even as a 28 year old, I might find myself at Jack & Dan's shortly after the game to celebrate. But storming the court in a froth of uncontrollable glee over beating the #1 team in America shouts that we weren't sure we could do it in the first place.

The injuries are the more objective problem, though. I have watched plenty of court stormings on TV, and it isn't that rare to see a guy trip and cause a pile-up, or someone getting stepped on. It's not just the players who are at risk for injury, it's everyone involved. I remember a couple years back when Florida State went off at home against North Carolina, and Roy Williams pulled his starting five, and had the benchwarmers in the game instead, standing right next to the sideline -- he was ready to get his players off the court and out of there ASAP. I can't blame him.

I can totally understand why a mob of hyped up 18-21 year olds might want to storm the court, but I'm not a fan of it. At least wait until after the handshake line, and let them onto the court in a slightly more controlled manner to celebrate with the players.

To kind of echo this, I view court stormings as evidence you haven't arrived as a top program yet. Once you have, you expect to win big games, you've done it before. It's still exciting to beat your rival or a really highly ranked team, but you don't act like you just won the Championship when you do.

Zagger
02-24-2015, 02:53 PM
OK - Let's say it's April 6th in Indianapolis and the Zags are playing ___________ . If you're there and the Zags win a thriller in Triple Overtime - are you itching to storm the court?

I'm pretty sure I'd be headed down if anyone else was. http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/gozagstinysignguyglassescolor.png

Only game I did any 'storming' at was football - Wazzu vs. UW in Seattle - when Wazzu won and went to the Rose Bowl. Football fields are much more conducive to storming than BB courts IMHO. It sure was fun! Go Cougs!

seacatfan
02-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Only game I can think of that I attended that had a court storming was when Romar was first getting UW turned around. End of the regular season, Dawgs were hosting undefeated and #1 ranked Stanford. UW won the game. Fans poured onto the court. I didn't join in, but that was a big moment, I can understand that one.

seacatfan
02-24-2015, 03:00 PM
OK - Let's say it's April 6th in Indianapolis and the Zags are playing ___________ . If you're there and the Zags win a thriller in Triple Overtime - are you itching to storm the court?

I'm pretty sure I'd be headed down if anyone else was. http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/gozagstinysignguyglassescolor.png

Only game I did any 'storming' at was football - Wazzu vs. UW in Seattle - when Wazzu won and went to the Rose Bowl. Football fields are much more conducive to storming than BB courts IMHO. It sure was fun! Go Cougs!

Have there ever been court stormings after the National Title Game? I'm not sure, but in my mind I can't see it. I'm imaging they have the security ramped up to discourage that in that particular setting. Usually not a predominantly partisan crowd either. Fans of both teams, plus plenty of people just there for the spectacle, without a rooting interest.

CDC84
02-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Better yet, has there ever been a court storming at a NCAA tournament game in recent history? I can't recall any incidents.

I am sure when the NCAA makes deals with host cities and arenas for its tournament that security requirements are a significant part of the contract.

Zagger
02-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Better yet, has there ever been a court storming at a NCAA tournament game in recent history? I can't recall any incidents.

I am sure when the NCAA makes deals with host cities and arenas for its tournament that security requirements are a significant part of the contract.

Yeah, got a point. I'd likely be a drizzle of one as opposed to a storm and end up spending the night in jail!
But, has me wondering just how many Zag fans might be at a Final Four game? I'm sure a lot would certainly try to get tickets if we were fortunate enough to bounce the ball right and get there.

CDC84
02-24-2015, 03:27 PM
The NCAA gains nothing if fans storm the court at one of their tourney sites. In fact, only bad publicity can come from it.

As someone mentioned earlier, K-State coming out and saying they didn't have enough time to prepare for a court storm last night is beyond laughable. That's the whole point of security.....to prepare for possible "disasters." How much evidence do you need? #8 ranked team in the nation? Your chief rival who you've had a miserable time beating since the beginning of dawn? Not only that, but K-State has had a tough season with all sorts of suspensions and turmoil. Lastly, their students stormed the court when they beat Kansas last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj73j2mFF0A

Hoopaholic
02-24-2015, 04:40 PM
The NCAA gains nothing if fans storm the court at one of their tourney sites. In fact, only bad publicity can come from it.

As someone mentioned earlier, K-State coming out and saying they didn't have enough time to prepare for a court storm last night is beyond laughable. That's the whole point of security.....to prepare for possible "disasters." How much evidence do you need? #8 ranked team in the nation? Your chief rival who you've had a miserable time beating since the beginning of dawn? Not only that, but K-State has had a tough season with all sorts of suspensions and turmoil. Lastly, their students stormed the court when they beat Kansas last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj73j2mFF0A

should be part of the pre planning for EVERY Game PERIOD

CDC84
02-24-2015, 05:19 PM
Well Maryland tonight provided a security barrier between the court storm and the benches.

NumberCruncher
02-24-2015, 07:30 PM

David Stockton was virtually attacked last year in San Diego. Steve Hertz had to help him get off the floor.

CDC84
02-25-2015, 08:28 AM
That K-State fan in the picture above has publicly apologized:

http://www.kstatecollegian.com/2015/02/24/letter-to-the-editor-49/

zagfan24
02-25-2015, 08:53 AM
Jay Bilas spoke about this issue on ESPN radio yesterday, and I thought had an interesting perspective: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12374563

DixieZag
02-25-2015, 08:55 AM
Have a technical foul called on the home team, next home game starts with 3 FTs and the ball to the visitor?

Sounds absurd (actually, it IS kind of absurd that one must consider these things), but about the only way I can think of to prevent some sort of court storming is make the students realize they will hurt their own team and embarrass their own team as a result of doing it.

Perhaps just an announcement at the 4:00 timeout; "Per NCAA rules, if any fans rush onto the court at the completion of play, the Gonzaga Bulldogs will receive a technical foul called to be enforced at the next home game."

There are rules by which home teams get technical fouls called due to throwing things, etc. Coaches have had to take the microphone to order the students to stop. I can't imagine a court storming happening when 95% of the students would hold back anyone who was willing to cost their team points/possessions in the next game.

It's certainly not a perfect solution. The perfect solution is having students not do it on their own. But, I think it would stop 9 out of 10 court stormings.

CDC84
02-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Another solution that I heard: if you go on to the floor as a student, you lose the right to ever get student tickets again.

That would stop it for sure.

Argentum
02-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Forget the next game, in court storming scenarios the Referee (head official) could simply call a technical against the home team and award two free throws. My understanding is that the head official can still assess technical fouls after time expires until he/she leaves the visual confines of the court post game. If you announced that the rule would be enforced in this manner a few minutes prior to the end of a close game and officials followed through rather than simply bolting for the locker room that would be a pretty clear deterrent.

WBM
02-25-2015, 10:24 AM

I agree with the bolded part. And the sportsmanship is generally still intact, as the coaches and players meet at midfield, instead of on the sideline. I remember watching Auburn fans rush the field and fill it to capacity after that Alabama field goal gaff a couple years ago. That looked like a lot of fun, and hopefully no one got hurt.

As for whether I would lose my mind and storm the court after a national championship -- maybe? I think it would be a little more acceptable, and hopefully the security wouldn't allow it until the other team had shaken hands and gotten into the locker room. First national championship...maybe.

WBM
02-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Forget the next game, in court storming scenarios the Referee (head official) could simply call a technical against the home team and award two free throws. My understanding is that the head official can still assess technical fouls after time expires until he/she leaves the visual confines of the court post game. If you announced that the rule would be enforced in this manner a few minutes prior to the end of a close game and officials followed through rather than simply bolting for the locker room that would be a pretty clear deterrent.

That would keep me and the people within arms reach of me in the stands, easily. Nothing would be worse than winning a close, upset game by 1-2 points, and giving away free throws because of a technical.