• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

OT - how to stop students from storming the court

Notre Dame's Jerian Grant did so brilliantly last night after Notre Dame defeated Duke:

• Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Well done.

Comment

• Zag_Dad
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2013

I don't recall the students ever rushing the court in Spokane or Vegas. Perhaps its has to do with the fact that we are usually favored at home and those wins are not "court rushing" worthy. In any event, I applaud Grant's actions. Rushing the court can lead to injuries to athletes or fans.

Celebrate in the stands or Jack and Dan's, not the court.

GO ZAGS

Comment

• MTZag03
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2012

I believe Gonzaga fans rushed the court after beating Santa Clara on a last second shot like nine years ago.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2011

Would've been stupid for them to rush the court anyway. Both teams are in top 10, only 4 spots apart...
          "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• gu03alum
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I fail to see the problem with storming the court.
            Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
              Bleeds Bulldog Blue
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MTZag03 View Post
              I believe Gonzaga fans rushed the court after beating Santa Clara on a last second shot like nine years ago.
              It was at Santa Clara in 2004, I believe. Travis Neisen wanted to take on the entire GU crowd.
              You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• zagfan24
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
                It's overdone and cliche, which are negligble concerns. More than anything, it's unsafe, especially for the student athletes. It's somewhat incredible to me that there hasn't been a major incident. Alcohol + hysteria + crowd mentality = potential for something to turn ugly quickly.

Comment

• gu03alum
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagfan24 View Post
                  It's overdone and cliche, which are negligble concerns. More than anything, it's unsafe, especially for the student athletes. It's somewhat incredible to me that there hasn't been a major incident. Alcohol + hysteria + crowd mentality = potential for something to turn ugly quickly.
                  I guess so. Ugly hasn't really happened before. I doubt it will in the future. Student athletes can get injured during the game, walking to class, going to a party afterward etc.
                  Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Zag_Dad
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2013

All it takes is one unfortunate injury to change your mind.. ask Joe Kay. If that happened to Kevin Pangos or any one of our players, you may have a different opinion.

GO ZAGS

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

It's not just students who might get injured, but older people in the stands. I know of one older man who was knocked to the ground and had his shoulder separated when students tried to climb over him during a court rush.

And then you have idiots bringing kids on to the floor in wheelchairs:

The kid was almost trampled to death, but got rescused by a NC State player.

The SEC started fining schools for allowing court stormings a few years ago. I know South Carolina was fined $25,000 after last year's court storming when they took down Kentucky. You rarely see it in the SEC these days.

If they are going to allow court stormings, it is imperative that the visiting team get off the floor right away. I once went to a Stanford/Cal game where the Cal students stormed and were beating on some of the Cardinal players. Police had to get involved, arrests were made, etc. It was quite ugly.

Comment

• gu03alum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I'm with Titus.

LINK

When Notre Dame beat Duke last week, Jerian Grant told the Irish student section not to storm the court. They listened. Three days later, Pitt beat eighth-ranked Notre Dame to give the Panthers their only marquee win of the season. Pitt fans also refrained from storming the court. And with that, my two biggest pet peeves in sports — court-storming etiquette and calling things “classy” — have joined forces. Wow, such a CLASSY move by Jerian Grant! You don’t storm the court when you’re ranked, the game is on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m., and Digger Phelps is in the house. Everyone knows that’s just not classy.

Here’s my official stance on court-storming for anyone who hasn’t already heard it: Who gives a ####? There should be no rules. I support court-storming on the road. I support court-storming after losses. If Kentucky played Florida A&M tomorrow at home, won by 100, and UK fans stormed the court, I wouldn’t flinch. It’s my dream to one day see a student section storm the court after every game, no matter the circumstances or outcome. I’m so against court-storming rules that I feel guilty for saying there shouldn’t be rules, because saying there shouldn’t be rules feels like a rule.

The notion that storming the court makes a program look weak needs to die. The “program” doesn’t storm the court — college students looking for a good time do. It hurts my brain to think about how dumb this debate is. Court-storming doesn’t make you weak, just like not storming the court doesn’t make you classy. Everyone calm down and stop pretending to care about this.
                        Bring back the OCC

Comment

• zagfan24
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2008

Jayhawks coach Bill Self needed the help of counterpart Bruce Weber to escape a jubilant melee after Kansas State's win Monday, when Kansas assistant Kurtis Townsend appeared to subdue a rowdy fan by securing him in a brief headlock.

Allowing students to storm the court remains a recipe for disaster. I suppose it will be looked at seriously when a player is seriously hurt...and eventually banned when somebody is killed. There's just no reason for it.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2013

I'm with Titus.

LINK
                            I'm with 03
                            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                              • Mar 2008

its a game played by college kids, intended for college kids and should be enjoyed by college kids.

simple preparation to ensure the safety of the floor is all that is needed, beginning with stadium seating allocation for students, appropriate safety plans and an engaged security that allows for the safety of the visiting team......

I just shake my head at the "adult" crowd who get all up in knots about this subject and "how dare they".....these usually are the same ones who come late to the game, leave early at half time to go have their martini and depart early, rarely getting off their butts during the game and provide PGA style clapping on a thunderous dunk

Let the kids be kids and provide some proactive steps to make it as safe as possible
                              The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

Working...
                              X