PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Edwards

seasontixholder
01-28-2015, 11:45 AM
I could not find a link to the most recent Meehan's Notebook online. But the Wednesday print version had this to say in a 4 paragraph summary about our redshirts:

"Few said that there have been days when Edwards has been dominant, and others, like Tuesday, when he needed better focus."

C'mon Ryan, focus.

RRZagFan
01-28-2015, 11:55 AM
In this article

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2015/jan/27/zags-making-strides-defensively/

Zagdawg
01-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Good to hear both Alberts and Edwards are making positive progress.

I can understand how tough it must be on Ryan --battling Shem --then having to go against Sabonis -- he has to have bruises on his bruises.

Keep up the hard work-- it will pay off in the long run.

DixieZag
01-28-2015, 12:11 PM
I can understand how tough it must be on Ryan --battling Shem --then having to go against Sabonis -- he has to have bruises on his bruises.

Like Casey on Corey.

That turned out ok.

jazzdelmar
01-28-2015, 12:26 PM
I take the comment very positively. Few lighting a small fire under a kid he knows has the goods. Face it, no one has DS's motor.

hooter73
01-28-2015, 01:03 PM
That Ryan's ever able to be called "dominate" considering who hes going up against is really staggering.

zag buddy
01-28-2015, 01:40 PM
when I see Ryan on the side lines it looks like he is losing the chunky baby fat he had. His shoulders look more tapered. I expect from the wait room training. I expect great things from him if he can ever get the killer instinct. When coach Few says "he loses his focus" I am guessing that what he loses is his aggressive intensity. He has an athletic grace about his moves with the softest hands I have seen on a big man. Doesn't panic. Mark Few said the same thing about Kelly O.- dominate in practices. From what I have seen in summer ball he also has a penchant for wanting to expand his shooting distances. I believe his years of playing tennis really helped him develop his moves. In attitude I would compare him to Will Foster - a gentle giant. I believe the hardest thing for Ryan to learn is that when someone hits you, you hit them back harder. I honestly believe he has the capability to be the best big man we have ever had. I look forward to see him scrimmage this summer.

cjm720
01-28-2015, 02:13 PM
That Ryan's ever able to be called "dominate" considering who hes going up against is really staggering.

That's what I was thinking...great news, can't wait to see him on the floor again. Alberts should be a gem too.

Malastein
01-28-2015, 03:34 PM
I remember hearing reports about Wiltjier that were similar. Should be interesting to see his progress...

hooter73
01-28-2015, 03:55 PM
I don't think he'll ever be a flyer, but with his footwork, he might be a mobile big that can play ten, twelve, fifteen feet away from the basket.

Doubtful, but I can dream.

ZAGLAWQB
01-28-2015, 05:47 PM
He has been fundamentally sound since soph high school regarding squaring up for 12-15 footer. Key now is coaches being able to create modified triangle for ryan inside the overall offense. #1 is center point at free throw line triangled to each block. The other two are the blocks to outside point on the free throw line and out to a point to create triangles 2 and 3. It really frees up space for the other 4 players and automatically becomes a defensive problem....we shall see.

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2015, 08:01 PM
when I see Ryan on the side lines it looks like he is losing the chunky baby fat he had. His shoulders look more tapered. I expect from the wait room training. I expect great things from him if he can ever get the killer instinct. When coach Few says "he loses his focus" I am guessing that what he loses is his aggressive intensity. He has an athletic grace about his moves with the softest hands I have seen on a big man. Doesn't panic. Mark Few said the same thing about Kelly O.- dominate in practices. From what I have seen in summer ball he also has a penchant for wanting to expand his shooting distances. I believe his years of playing tennis really helped him develop his moves. In attitude I would compare him to Will Foster - a gentle giant. I believe the hardest thing for Ryan to learn is that when someone hits you, you hit them back harder. I honestly believe he has the capability to be the best big man we have ever had. I look forward to see him scrimmage this summer.

Yeah..........I was mentally high fiving you the whole time until I got to the bolded part. Um.............

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-28-2015, 08:31 PM
R. E. L. A. X.

hooter73
01-29-2015, 08:02 AM
IMO it is rare for a guy to develop an aggressive, killer attitude if he doesnt have it by that 18 year old turning point. I understand it very well. I was a gentle Montanan giant too and didnt have the combination of either of those two at the same time basically ever when playing organized sports. Aggression WITH capability is very rare thing. KO had it, although he had to work into the right part of capability aspect. It was always his mindset that drove him though. Sabonis has the complete package already. If Ryan spends the summer busting broncs and breaking up fights at country bars he might just show us he belongs in that category. The tools may be there, hard to tell.

Zag_Dad
01-29-2015, 08:22 AM
I think things look pretty good for the Zags with regards to our Bigs. Edwards has three more years of eligibility... next year he'll play behind Karnowski who will (hopefully) be playing his senior year of eligibility and next to Sabonis who will be a pre-season Wooden award nominee. There is plenty of time for him to develop next year before we lose Karnowski to the NBA and potentially Sabonis too. For now, I'm going to enjoy this year as we steam towards a Final Four!

GO ZAGS!

Zagdawg
01-29-2015, 08:31 AM
One of the skills that Edwards has honed in his career is his foul shooting-- right now he would be #2 behind Pangos.

He looked very comfortable at the line his freshman year shooting 82% --that is a great thing to have on the team when your big is shooting that high of a percentage from the free throw line.

Really looking forward to the extra dimension he brings to the team next three years.

hooter73
01-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Defensive timing and blocks is what Im excited to see. We havent had that at a high level since Sacre.

sittingon50
01-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Maybe Sabonis could do some sort of mind-meld thingy with him!

:rolleyes:

hooter73
01-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Maybe Sabonis could do some sort of mind-meld thingy with him!

:rolleyes:

The Borg had it right! Think of if we had a team of Sabonis attitud-ed guys!