PDA

View Full Version : Why you should never start looking at the RPI until late February

CDC84
01-27-2015, 12:26 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-01-26/kansas-kentucky-rpi-ncaa-tournament-top-25-rankings-bbn-uk-wildcats-calipari

Kansas right now is the #1 team in the RPI, and it's not because the RPI is flawed.......

gonzagafan62
01-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Great article thanks

zagamatic
01-27-2015, 01:06 PM
I've never understood why twice as much of the rpi is based on opponents record over your own record? The only thing I can think of is to ensure that the power 5 always have highly ranked teams since they're guaranteed to have half their schedule against like teams thus penalizing teams like Gonzaga that are at the mercy of other teams being willing to schedule them. And for an institution (NCAA) that's SUPPOSED TO BE about giving student athletes a fair shot across the board, well that's just immoral.

gonzagafan62
01-27-2015, 01:12 PM
I've never understood why twice as much of the rpi is based on opponents record over your own record? The only thing I can think of is to ensure that the power 5 always have highly ranked teams since they're guaranteed to have half their schedule against like teams thus penalizing teams like Gonzaga that are at the mercy of other teams being willing to schedule them. And for an institution (NCAA) that's SUPPOSED TO BE about giving student athletes a fair shot across the board, well that's just immoral.

This tool is NOT a tool to rank who the better teams are, or to even guess who the better team is. Its basically a tool to see who played the better schedule plus your teams WIN %. Obviously its a flawed tool, but a tool that puts more weight on an emphasized SOS. The RPI combines both SOS and Win PCT to outweigh the outliers. I have come to the conclusion that the RPI is basically a better version of the SOS with a flavor of how well your team has played as well.

Turns out to be rocky road ice cream.