PDA

View Full Version : CBB coaches on the hot seat, incl at Mother Nike

jazzdelmar
01-27-2015, 05:42 AM
10 coaches on the hot seat
By Jeff Goodman

Due to NCAA issues, Donnie Tyndall's status at Tennessee could already be in peril.
Once you are on the dreaded hot seat, there are usually only a few ways off. Below we give you 10 coaches who need to finish strong to make certain they don't end up on the chopping block, and three who have managed to quiet the hot seat talk via different methods.

Coaches on the hot seat, Part I (NCAA and off-court issues)

1. Donnie Tyndall, Tennessee Volunteers

The Vols (12-6, 4-2) are tied for second place in the SEC, but Iím not sure winning games matters all that much for Tyndall, whose previous school, Southern Miss, just self-imposed a postseason ban due to issues from his time in Hattiesburg. Thereís an NCAA investigation ongoing, and it could wind up costing him his job. Donít be surprised if the NCAA ends up hitting Tyndall hard enough to make it tough for Tennessee to retain him.

2. Dana Altman, Oregon Ducks

On the surface, Altman looks safe. His deal is through 2020, heís taken the Ducks to the NCAA tournament in each of the past two seasons and is 14-6 this season. However, itís a lingering off-court issue -- an alleged sexual assault involving three players who have all been booted from the school -- that has Altmanís future in Eugene in jeopardy. The victim in the case filed a federal Title IX lawsuit against Altman and the university earlier this month, and the coach's status could depend on how that situation plays out.

3. Larry Brown, SMU Mustangs

Brown is currently in the midst of an NCAA investigation tied to academics. At 74 years old, I wouldnít be surprised if he walks away (or is told to walk away) after the season in order to avoid having to go in front of the NCAAís Committee of Infractions. Then the question may become whether coach-in-waiting Tim Jankovich can still get the job.

Coaches on the hot seat, Part II (not winning enough games)

4. Brian Gregory, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Gregory, who came from Dayton in 2011, hasnít been able to turn the Georgia Tech program around. The Yellow Jackets havenít finished higher than ninth in the ACC in his first three seasons, and Tech is 0-7 in the conference this season (the most recent loss a home setback to Boston College on Sunday). Gregory got a one-year extension in 2013 that takes him through 2018, but it doesnít look great for him, especially since current athletic director Mike Bobinski isnít the one who hired him.

5. Oliver Purnell, DePaul Blue Demons

Yes, I know the Blue Demons are 5-3 in Big East play. But I also know DePaul is 11-10 overall and has finished 16th out of 16 (twice), 15th out of 15 and 10th out of 10 in Big East play in his first four seasons. Purnell is a great human being, but heís 61 years old and the end of his seven-year deal (he was hired in 2010) is approaching.

6. Steve Lavin, St. Johnís Red Storm

Lavin took a team filled with Norm Robertsí recruits to the NCAA tournament in his first season (2010-11) but hasnít gone dancing since. Heís been to two NITs, and with St. John's sitting at 13-6, 2-4 in the Big East, the finish to this season could determine whether Lavin -- still working under his original six-year deal inked in 2010 -- receives an extension.

7. Travis Ford, Oklahoma State Cowboys

Itís never a good sign when the athletic director basically says he screwed up by giving you a long-term extension. Ford got a 10-year extension in 2009 and the school will still have to pay Ford nearly $10 million if it severs ties after the season. That could protect him, and what could really help solidify his job security is if he can get to the NCAA tourney this season. The Cowboys are 13-6 and 3-4 in the Big 12, and Ford could certainly use a strong finish.

8. Matt Painter, Purdue Boilermakers

Painter inked an eight-year deal in 2011 when he was contemplating going to Missouri, a time when he was also in the midst of a tremendous run of six consecutive NCAA tourney appearances. Since then, the Boilermakers (12-8, 4-3 Big Ten) had back-to-back seasons under .500 and though improved in 2014-15, are in danger of not going to the tourney for the third consecutive season.

9. Herb Sendek, Arizona State Sun Devils

Sendek received a three-year extension after last seasonís NCAA tournament appearance, but itís still unclear what the buyout would be if the school wanted to make a move. Sendek is in his ninth season, has gone to just two NCAA tourneys -- and the Sun Devils are just 10-10 overall and 2-5 in the Pac-12 this season.

10. Dave Rice, UNLV Rebels

There arenít many better people in the industry than Dave Rice, but thereís a certain level of expectation with heading up the Runniní Rebels program. He took his alma mater to the NCAA each of his first two seasons, but he didnít go a year ago and the team is 11-9 overall and 2-5 in a lackluster Mountain West this season. Rice inked a two-year extension through 2019 this past offseason after South Florida made a run at him, but he also doesnít make a ton of money.

Three coaches who have moved off the hot seat in 2014-15

Mark Turgeon, Maryland Terrapins

Iíve made it no secret that I thought the Terps' hire of Turgeon, a guy who can really coach, was the correct one after the school misfired in its pursuit of Sean Miller in 2011. Turgeon had a rough first three seasons, making some recruiting mistakes, and it culminated in an offseason in which numerous players left to go elsewhere. However, those defections were cases of addition by subtraction, and Turgeon has the program rolling with a 18-3 record (6-2 in the Big Ten). Much of the success can be attributed to the presence of talented and mature freshman point guard Melo Trimble. Donít be surprised to see Turgeon receive an extension on his original eight-year deal signed in 2011.

Tom Crean, Indiana Hoosiers

Crean has done a nice job with this team (15-5, 5-2 Big Ten), putting the Hoosiers in position to challenge for one of the top spots in the league. Itís not as if the Hoosiers are loaded, but they should get into the NCAA tourney. Crean has also been the beneficiary of a mediocre Big Ten, and he has a hefty buyout that will go from $12 million to about $7.5 million in the summer.

Billy Kennedy, Texas A&M Aggies

Kennedy is in his fourth season, hasnít gone to the NCAA tournament (after the program made six straight appearances under Billy Gillispie and Mark Turgeon prior to Kennedy's arrival) and probably wonít make it this season. But the Aggies (13-5, 4-2 SEC) will make the postseason and Kennedy and his staff have put together a recruiting class that currently ranks behind only Kentucky and Arizona. The Aggies have four players ranked in the top 65 in the country -- thatís a great way to save your job.

Ekrub
01-27-2015, 05:45 AM
I get really confused with the title 9 stuff. How is Altman at fault for his players allegedly sexually assaulting somebody? Did he help them to cover it up?

DixieZag
01-27-2015, 05:58 AM
I get really confused with the title 9 stuff. How is Altman at fault for his players allegedly sexually assaulting somebody? Did he help them to cover it up?

I'm not an expert but, no, they would not base a suit on it being his fault for the actual assault. It would be as you noted, covering it up afterward, or more likely, knowing of issues prior to the assault and leaving them unaddressed. The theory would then be, had he taken action at the appropriate time earlier (assuming there was something) the players would not be in a position to assault someone, or at least people would have known these players might be a problem and stayed away.

Zagdawg
01-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Amazing to me that romar is not on this list-- maybe they are giving him credit for next years recruiting class.

RenoZag
01-27-2015, 07:52 AM
Amazing to me that romar is not on this list-- maybe they are giving him credit for next years recruiting class.

There's still time for him to get added to that list. . .

JAGzag
01-27-2015, 08:03 AM

The guys has always recruited well, he just can't coach worth a damn.

titopoet
01-27-2015, 08:59 AM

No, but his role of not suspending the involved players until after the NCAA Tourney certainly doesn't look good.

CDC84
01-27-2015, 09:14 AM
The problem with letting Romar go is that he's signed thru 2020 and is making almost 2 mil a year. I would think he gets a couple more years, minimum.

23dpg
01-27-2015, 09:18 AM
No, but his role of not suspending the involved players until after the NCAA Tourney certainly doesn't look good.

Nor does bringing in a player who was the focus of an ongoing rape allegation at his previous school. I wanted to like Altman but his actions have been unsavory.

75Zag
01-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Nor does bringing in a player who was the focus of an ongoing rape allegation at his previous school. I wanted to like Altman but his actions have been unsavory.

Local Oregonian sports reporter is waging all-out attack on Altman in regard to his handling of player misconduct issues. If Oregon goes deep this year (doubtful in my opinion) Altman may be able to save his job, otherwise not. It appears that bringing a kid with a history of sex assault allegations into your program is asking for disaster for your program, your team, and your career.

Go Bulldogs!