View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Pacific Post Game Article

Zippyzaggy
01-26-2015, 08:45 PM
Detailed post game & interesting take regarding Sabonis' and his temperament-
http://www.zagaholic.com/2015/01/m3333lson-zags-destroy-pacific-90-61.html
Go Zags!

Zagger
01-27-2015, 03:46 AM
Can't imagine this season without Sabonis. He & Mt. K make a fantastic pair - who help one another improve their game. Darn special season this one!

Ekrub
01-27-2015, 05:38 AM
Sabonis vs Mika should be a fun match up to watch in a couple of years

WallaWallaZag
01-27-2015, 07:11 AM
Sabonis vs Mika should be a fun match up to watch in a couple of years

that would be a war...but not so sure sabonis will still be around...i'm hoping for a monster aa soph year and lotto pick.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-27-2015, 07:39 AM
Detailed post game & interesting take regarding Sabonis' and his temperament-
http://www.zagaholic.com/2015/01/m3333lson-zags-destroy-pacific-90-61.html
Go Zags!

Thanks for posting ZippyZaggy. I agree that Sabonis' intensity is essential to his game and effectiveness, but he needs to learn how to control himself a bit in order to help the team. His post presence is a huge piece of this special team, and if I'm an opposing coach my players would definitely know they can get under Sabonis' skin and pick up easy fouls. Not sure I'd "coach" my players to try and draw a technical from Sabonis, but I'm definitely concerned that scenario could play out in the even more emotionally charged context of an NCAA tourney game.

Zippyzaggy
01-27-2015, 09:45 PM
Thanks for posting ZippyZaggy. I agree that Sabonis' intensity is essential to his game and effectiveness, but he needs to learn how to control himself a bit in order to help the team. His post presence is a huge piece of this special team, and if I'm an opposing coach my players would definitely know they can get under Sabonis' skin and pick up easy fouls. Not sure I'd "coach" my players to try and draw a technical from Sabonis, but I'm definitely concerned that scenario could play out in the even more emotionally charged context of an NCAA tourney game.

Shudders to think about it. Hopefully they're working on reeling his fire in a teeny bit. It amazes me how well he's playing for a true freshman. Did Karnowski play as well then? Nope. Sacre & Dower redshirted, so they didn't, couldn't. Love to have him for 4 years, but we'll see.

bigblahla
01-27-2015, 11:10 PM
that would be a war...but not so sure sabonis will still be around...i'm hoping for a monster aa soph year and lotto pick.

Better yet add an even bigger junior season and then national player of the year as a Sr....left Malaga for the college experience....doesn't need the money....working on his game and not in a hurry to go pro....lotto schmotto.... it will come in time quit wishing it on him.....he'll leave when he wants .....

Go!! Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
01-28-2015, 05:08 AM
Shudders to think about it. Hopefully they're working on reeling his fire in a teeny bit. It amazes me how well he's playing for a true freshman. Did Karnowski play as well then? Nope. Sacre & Dower redshirted, so they didn't, couldn't. Love to have him for 4 years, but we'll see.

he has already shown vast improvement in this area from game one. Each game I see a "new" sabonis channeling the fire in the belly to the court in a positive manner....less and less facial reactions, less and less hands thrown up in air with frustration etc

as to the fire in belly when he gets his hands on the ball.....he best keep that his entire career and that is what provides the inside presence and toughness I don't want that to disappear

I posted before the season that this was one area that he would need "seasoning" coming from Europe and playing a totally different style of basketball than D1 and he is getting it game by game

now if he will show us his 15 foot range jumper I would really be smiling

Reborn
01-28-2015, 06:27 AM
he has already shown vast improvement in this area from game one. Each game I see a "new" sabonis channeling the fire in the belly to the court in a positive manner....less and less facial reactions, less and less hands thrown up in air with frustration etc

as to the fire in belly when he gets his hands on the ball.....he best keep that his entire career and that is what provides the inside presence and toughness I don't want that to disappear

I posted before the season that this was one area that he would need "seasoning" coming from Europe and playing a totally different style of basketball than D1 and he is getting it game by game

now if he will show us his 15 foot range jumper I would really be smiling

I agree. At the beginning of the season I was critical of Sabonis, but now I see what you all see, a really tough player. IMO, he is the toughest post player we've had since Truiof. And that's a long time. And Sabonis is way ahead of where Roney was when he was a freshman. I'd like to know more about his injury. But i'm sure he's playing hurt, and I respect that a lot. And he's still playing really good and really tough.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

LongIslandZagFan
01-28-2015, 06:42 AM
Better yet add an even bigger junior season and then national player of the year as a Sr....left Malaga for the college experience....doesn't need the money....working on his game and not in a hurry to go pro....lotto schmotto.... it will come in time quit wishing it on him.....he'll leave when he wants .....

Go!! Zags!!!

I was initially in this camp. But I can see him making the jump his soph or junior year. Untimately he wants to play in the NBA if possible. Age becomes a detriment in terms of being drafted. NBA teams want the most productive years out of their players. I think that is a fundamental reason JP is playing in Europe instead of the NBA. So he may not want to wait all 4 to make the jump IF he is a lotto pick at some point in his soph or junior year.

Baseline
01-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Domas has improved his game an amazing amount this year already. I went back and looked at early games and recent games and the difference are obvious.
Originally he had great success just using his strength to get to the basket and that worked great, but people started double teaming him, go for the ball when he started his dribble. They stopped him for a short time but he adjusted and has learned to handle that aspect. His passing is improving and he is learning to share more.
His defense has always been good, but that to has improvements. Initially he had a real fouling problem, but he is working through that with better control and positioning. He is smart and adjusts quickly. Against Waldo get initially had problems with Waldo using his weight to get to the basket. He soon switched and fronted him and used his speed to shut waldo down and was successful in doing that.
Domas needs to dribble better and develop a jumper and he will be unstoppable .

bigblahla
01-28-2015, 12:15 PM
I was initially in this camp. But I can see him making the jump his soph or junior year. Untimately he wants to play in the NBA if possible. Age becomes a detriment in terms of being drafted. NBA teams want the most productive years out of their players. I think that is a fundamental reason JP is playing in Europe instead of the NBA. So he may not want to wait all 4 to make the jump IF he is a lotto pick at some point in his soph or junior year.

You make to much sense LIZF lets hope it's after his junior season...

Go!! Zags!!!