PDA

View Full Version : Coach Few

23dpg
01-26-2015, 06:13 PM
I think this is Few's best job ever. He's been able to incorporate 3 transfers and the freshmen and blend them with the returning players. Everybody on this team has had to sacrifice for the good of the team and it appears that all have bought in. This is no easy task.

Two years ago Few was one of four finalists for National Coach of the Year. I think he is more deserving this year. There are many worthy candidates (Bennett, Hoiberg, K, etc) but I think what Few has done matches up with anyone. I would love to see him win the award.

Possible?

RenoZag
01-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Sure. The year Jim Larranaga took George Mason deep he ended up being a "national" coach of the year. If Coach Few achieves that kind of success with this year's edition, he might garner similar accolades.

Glad he's a Zag and hope he stays one for many seasons to come.

zag67
01-27-2015, 05:44 AM
I think that there are 3 transfers and 3 freshmen that he has had to mold. Perkins who is out injured Melson who is improving every week. And Sabonis The coaches and the seniors have done a fantastic job of getting players who were all very good where they came from to buy into the concept of winning demands they give up some of their individual stats for improvement of the team. I think this also shows that the coaching staff did a fantastic job of recruiting and then also had some luck. Because recruiting is a guessing game.

DixieZag
01-27-2015, 06:05 AM
Masterful. And, the way he turned last year's team around mid conference from a lackluster beginning was very impressive.

Zags11
01-27-2015, 07:08 AM
+1...he has the talent 1 through 5 and a deep bench.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-27-2015, 07:26 AM
I think this is Few's best job ever. He's been able to incorporate 3 transfers and the freshmen and blend them with the returning players. Everybody on this team has had to sacrifice for the good of the team and it appears that all have bought in. This is no easy task.

Two years ago Few was one of four finalists for National Coach of the Year. I think he is more deserving this year. There are many worthy candidates (Bennett, Hoiberg, K, etc) but I think what Few has done matches up with anyone. I would love to see him win the award.

Possible?

I agree Coach Few is even more deserving of being named National Coach of the Year and it's certainly possible, but I'd say unlikely barring a run to the Final Four because it'd be tough to overcome ESPN's P.R. campaign for Coach K...they've been showing an hour-long special about the guy for goodness sake, constant chatter about Coach K from their hoops analysts etc.

I respect and admire Coach K and the amazing program he has built at Duke, but ESPN's love affair with him is nauseating..get a room! :-)

TheGonzagaFactor
01-27-2015, 08:16 AM
It has been amazing.

You could say he's had to deal with 5 transfers...

He's managed two big transfers and turned them into stars. Both guys came from bigger schools, and both (especially Wiltjer) could've had a superiority complex--but they are each great team players.

Has another transfer leave due to lack of PT, which likely means he hurt team chemistry (at least passively, if not actively through attitude, body language, etc...). A transfer leaving also makes other transfers think twice about their involvement/future.

Has one on the roster who is surely unhappy with his PT but seems to be buying in.

Has one who seems to have had a somewhat troubled past as he's on his 3rd school. We don't know how Mac will turn out, but he knows what he got into and has said the right things.

Has three freshmen who have integrated perfectly. All were big recruits who would start at 90% of D1 programs (at least), but all are happy being role players off the bench.

It's really stunning to think of how we have 2 transfers who've played a lot, 3 impact freshmen, and 5 guys who are in at least their 3rd year at GU and we...
-Don't take bad shots
-Are already good on defense, with plenty of time to build chemistry

This is awesome. You hear pundits say "they don't take any bad shots" all the time! It seems Few talked to everyone individually and as a group to hammer home the point that we can win it all this year if they all make sacrifices for the team. Perfect timing for this as no one has immediate serious NBA aspirations, so there is no obligation to feature any one player to improve their draft stock. If Pangos or Wesley get a look, it would be to play the roles they are now. Convenient.

I think this team is set up to become a very good defensive unit by the time March rolls around. If we get a top 2 seed, there's no one who should be able to give us a game that first weekend. Few has had some great seasons in terms of player management, but this one is up there with 2006-07. Totally different circumstances, but equally great work.

DixieZag
01-27-2015, 08:22 AM
It has been amazing.

You could say he's had to deal with 5 transfers...

He's managed two big transfers and turned them into stars. Both guys came from bigger schools, and both (especially Wiltjer) could've had a superiority complex--but they are each great team players.

Has another transfer leave due to lack of PT, which likely means he hurt team chemistry (at least passively, if not actively through attitude, body language, etc...). A transfer leaving also makes other transfers think twice about their involvement/future.

Has one on the roster who is surely unhappy with his PT but seems to be buying in.

Has one who seems to have had a somewhat troubled past as he's on his 3rd school. We don't know how Mac will turn out, but he knows what he got into and has said the right things.

Has three freshmen who have integrated perfectly. All were big recruits who would start at 90% of D1 programs (at least), but all are happy being role players off the bench.

It's really stunning to think of how we have 2 transfers who've played a lot, 3 impact freshmen, and 5 guys who are in at least their 3rd year at GU and we...
-Don't take bad shots
-Are already good on defense, with plenty of time to build chemistry

This is awesome. You hear pundits say "they don't take any bad shots" all the time! It seems Few talked to everyone individually and as a group to hammer home the point that we can win it all this year if they all make sacrifices for the team. Perfect timing for this as no one has immediate serious NBA aspirations, so there is no obligation to feature any one player to improve their draft stock. If Pangos or Wesley get a look, it would be to play the roles they are now. Convenient.

I think this team is set up to become a very good defensive unit by the time March rolls around. If we get a top 2 seed, there's no one who should be able to give us a game that first weekend. Few has had some great seasons in terms of player management, but this one is up there with 2006-07. Totally different circumstances, but equally great work.

Perfect.

It doesn't hurt to have Gary and Kevin as captains and whom, I'm sure Few counts upon to influence others' thoughts, play. Woe to the newcomer who gets sat down by Gary/Kevin to have a "talk" about how the Zags play.

Mantua
01-27-2015, 12:13 PM
Perfect.

It doesn't hurt to have Gary and Kevin as captains and whom, I'm sure Few counts upon to influence others' thoughts, play. Woe to the newcomer who gets sat down by Gary/Kevin to have a "talk" about how the Zags play.

Few seems to search out and attract high character kids.

seacatfan
01-27-2015, 12:21 PM
As far as national awards for coach of the year, have to decide what criteria to use. I'd say nobody is doing a better job of coaching this year than Tinkle at Oregon St. Still time for them to collapse, but they have already so far exceeded expectations it's unbelievable.

Zagger
01-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Few seems to search out and attract high character kids.

Think you got that spot on .... Search for -and- Attracts. This whole shee-bang just keeps getting better too. One could also throw in 'Develops'. It is for these reasons that I'd love to see Angel get another year at GU. I feel he has what it takes - just takes him a little longer. My fingers are crossed on how the WCC/NCAA (however it works) makes the final decision. I hope that decision is timely so that Angel can best plan for his future.

DADoZAG
01-27-2015, 02:35 PM
As far as national awards for coach of the year, have to decide what criteria to use. I'd say nobody is doing a better job of coaching this year than Tinkle at Oregon St. Still time for them to collapse, but they have already so far exceeded expectations it's unbelievable.

Tru dat.

Papa Bennett's pride and joy is doing a pretty amazing job as well.

Go ZAGS! Crash the Pilots!

seacatfan
01-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Tru dat.

Papa Bennett's pride and joy is doing a pretty amazing job as well.

Go ZAGS! Crash the Pilots!

Good call on Bennett. It in no way diminishes what Few has done this year. I'm sure there are a handful of worthy candidates this year. What Few is doing--taking a solid veteran core and blending it seamlessly with a number of talented transfers and freshmen--is very different than what Tinkle is doing--winning with a roster that almost everyone thought was devoid of talent.

maynard g krebs
01-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Good call on Bennett. It in no way diminishes what Few has done this year. I'm sure there are a handful of worthy candidates this year. What Few is doing--taking a solid veteran core and blending it seamlessly with a number of talented transfers and freshmen--is very different than what Tinkle is doing--winning with a roster that almost everyone thought was devoid of talent.

Payton jr. may be the most underappreciated player in the country. Third in the PAC in rebounding at 8.5 playing guard at 6'3, plus 3 assists and 3 steals per game, and more than a blocked shot per game, plus shooting over 50%. Unbelievable what he's doing.

seacatfan
01-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Payton jr. may be the most underappreciated player in the country. Third in the PAC in rebounding at 8.5 playing guard at 6'3, plus 3 assists and 3 steals per game, and more than a blocked shot per game, plus shooting over 50%. Unbelievable what he's doing.

I've seen him play a few times. He's blue collar, definite stat sheet stuffer. The rebounding is ridiculous. I don't remember him getting any publicity coming out of HS. I don't think it got much attention when he signed with OSU as a juco transfer either. Even if he wasn't a sure thing blue chipper, you'd think just because of his name he would've gotten some attention. He's start to get some now, but mostly just regional. I don't think the talking heads back east have picked up on OSU's revival and The Glove's kid leading the charge yet.

DADoZAG
01-27-2015, 07:46 PM

'Haven't seen enough to know, MGK, is it the player or the scheme?

No denying Coach Few should be in the discussion. "More with more" has been a lotta fun so far, and there's "more" to come.

Go ZAGS

Radbooks
01-29-2015, 06:18 AM
This is from an Insider Article on ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=4639&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanPanelCoachofYear)so not everyone will be able to go there, but I did post a little bit of it regarding Coach Few. They polled 100 coaches about who should be coach of the year and he came in #5 after:

1 - Tony Bennett (44 votes)
2 - Larry Krystkowiak (19)
3 - John Calipari (11)
4 - Mike Brey (8)

5. Mark Few, Gonzaga Bulldogs (seven votes)

The critics will say the Zags (20-1, 9-0) play in the WCC, but coaches understand how difficult it is to sustain success at a spot such as Gonzaga. Few is one basket away from being undefeated, and he’s done a tremendous job on the recruiting front with high schoolers, transfers and overseas kids alike.

6 - Jay Wright (6)
7 - Bo Ryan (5)

TacomaZAG
01-29-2015, 06:36 AM
Got to give Coach his props this year, he's done a very good job of integrating various pieces into an intriguing puzzle. The thing that has jumped out at me more this year than in year's past is Coach's obvious joy with this year's group. He is so complementary of the guys during every interview with Heister on the Mark Few Show and seems to be genuinely enjoying this year and this group. He obviously appreciates his senior backcourt duo of Kevin and Gary (who wouldn't) and really talks them up as young men as well as BBall players.

Coach just seems to be enjoying himself more this year, he seems looser and more relaxed when discussing the guys and this season. He's really going to miss Kevin and Gary, as we all are. This all reminds me of Dr. Krause's remarks at the Tacoma Alumni Dinner before the start of the season (paraphrasing)......When you have senior guards, you are going to be alright.

He's a worth candidate for Coach of the Year, but Bennett is going to be hard to beat. Maybe it's another thing that comes down to what happens in March.......

Go ZAGS

seacatfan
01-29-2015, 11:29 AM
This is from an Insider Article on ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=4639&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanPanelCoachofYear)so not everyone will be able to go there, but I did post a little bit of it regarding Coach Few. They polled 100 coaches about who should be coach of the year and he came in #5 after:

1 - Tony Bennett (44 votes)
2 - Larry Krystkowiak (19)
3 - John Calipari (11)
4 - Mike Brey (8)

6 - Jay Wright (6)
7 - Bo Ryan (5)

Tinkle is getting robbed not being in the top 7. Actually I think Bo Ryan is underachieving given that they went to the Final 4 last year, brought back almost everybody and have a player like Kaminsky that literally nobody can match up with. The home loss to Duke was their biggest test to date and they failed it. Also losing to Rutgers?

Wright? Meh. They've won a bunch of games but I think they are a pretender not a contender, just like last year. Another team that brought back almost everybody, they should be winning.

Calipari...it's kinda funny, everybody says they have the most talented roster, so they should be winning, right? They are young, and that can lead to inconsistency.

Krystowiak and Brey I can definitely get behind.

maynard g krebs
01-29-2015, 02:32 PM
'Haven't seen enough to know, MGK, is it the player or the scheme?

I don't see how much scheme can have to do with being the top rebounding guard in the country by a bunch, as well as tied for second in steals as of a few days ago. That's all talent combined with great effort imo. I'd say it comes from his dad.

DADoZAG
01-29-2015, 03:01 PM
I don't see how much scheme can have to do with being the top rebounding guard in the country by a bunch, as well as tied for second in steals as of a few days ago. That's all talent combined with great effort imo. I'd say it comes from his dad.

Thanx, MGK. As I alluded, I haven't seen enough of Oregon State to know if their success (at the time of my post) was coaching or player(s) elevating their game. I had interpreted it as coaching, but perhaps it's a bit of both...

Go ZAGS!

Zagdawg
01-29-2015, 03:40 PM
Oregon State is going to be interesting next year also-- they have no seniors graduating and 5 incoming freshman 2 top 100 players (not sure where they are going to get all of the rides from-- but they should be a solid team next year in the Pac).

seacatfan
01-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Thanx, MGK. As I alluded, I haven't seen enough of Oregon State to know if their success (at the time of my post) was coaching or player(s) elevating their game. I had interpreted it as coaching, but perhaps it's a bit of both...

Go ZAGS!

I think there's plenty of room to give credit to the coaching and the players. I believe they lost at least their top 6 or 7 scorers from last year, top returning scorer averaged 4 ppg last year, a couple others in the 2 or 3 ppg range. Based on that, it was assumed there was no talent on the roster this year and they would be terrible. I believe that the returning players were better than the assumptions, but you still have to give props to the coach for winning as many games as they have so far. Projections were like maybe 2 conference wins and less than 10 overall.

Payton, in spite of his famous father, has never received much publicity prior to this year. It appears everybody missed the bus on him coming out of high school and again after 2 years at a JC. I don't think he'll be star like his dad but with his defensive ability he has a decent chance of at least getting a look by the NBA. He's actually considered a better athlete than his father but his scoring and assist numbers are nowhere near what poppa did as an upperclassman in college. He doesn't play with as much flair as his dad did. But he can definitely get up and dunk, the Glove didn't throw it down very often.

ZagMan in Philly
01-30-2015, 12:28 PM
I love how he talks (in the latest Mark Few Show) about not just GU basketball fans, but basketball fans in general, and how they should be enjoying this team, because they play the game right, and it is a really really special group.

From what I have seen so far about this team, I am thinking this is our best chance to get back to the Elite 8 and Beyond.....

Go Zags !!