PDA

View Full Version : Memphis

ZagsGoZags
01-26-2015, 02:23 PM
coming up soon
this year, as of today, Memphis ranked 44 in Coaches Poll, not in top 44 in AP, and ranked 92 in Basketball Power Index
they are 5-3 in American conference, and 12-7 overall

I am sure everyone wishes they were stronger this year; it looks like they are weaker this year than any year in the last half dozen or so; when we scheduled them for 2015 I expect we were hoping the Tigers would be more of a force this season.

Even though St. Mary's is ranked above them, we will get more credit for beating Memphis (if we do) than beating BYU and St. Mary's

It seems to me that playing them is a real set-up against us this year.
if we win, observers will say, duh ... what do you expect #3 beats #44, boring
if we lose, we fall like a bomb in the rankings, East Coast says I told you so, and any reasons for it look like pitiful excuses,
Few explaining we win a few lose a few [pun intended], like other top teams lose a few, e.g. Duke, will look like transparent rationalizing on his part....

I think the only way we come out of this REALLY WELL, is to make a statement with a Big Beat Down

GoZags
01-26-2015, 02:27 PM
I'd like to see the Zags play well (and come away with a nice victory) against Portland. It was a pretty tight game at Chiles.

DixieZag
01-26-2015, 02:39 PM
I hope some of our Tiger friends start visiting.

MTZag03
01-26-2015, 02:51 PM
I hope some of our Tiger friends start visiting.

Yeah they are alright.

Zagger
01-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Great! Since they're Tigers I can use 'my' Pacific graphic on them too :)
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/beatpacific.png
Watched one of their games on TV this season. They didn't look bad at all. I belive they'll give the Zags a challenging game. If the Zags play tough D I'll bet we win by 20 or more. If D is lax on GU's part - it'll be a much closer game (single digits spread).

seacatfan
01-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Well Memphis doesn't have 8 Sr. guards averaging double figures like they did last year. Okay, that's a bit of a stretch, but they had plenty of experienced guards that were capable of scoring. Haven't watched them much this year. Best players are probably Shaq Goodwin and Austin Nichols? Huh, I just looked at stats, Nichols is their ONLY player averaging double digit scoring this year. Several other guys around 8 or 9. They may not be bad, but they aren't really very good this year. Zags should be able to handle them fairly easily. This series has not been kind to GU, this is definitely a year for some payback.

bartruff1
01-26-2015, 06:31 PM
just win...no injuries......that's all.......folks....

RenoZag
01-26-2015, 06:45 PM
I'd like to see the Zags play well (and come away with a nice victory) against Portland. It was a pretty tight game at Chiles.

Indeed.

Plenty of time to deal with Pastner's crew once the UP game is in the books

ZagsGoZags
01-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Indeed.

I agree, if the players and coaches look past the WCC Portland game it is a disastrous mind set. This, on the other hand, is one thing I love about
being a fan -- getting to talk about the future, present, and past anything zags!

gonzagafan62
01-26-2015, 08:09 PM
I've been saying all along that ppl have been sleeping on this game. It's not an easy one. A nice challenge.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-27-2015, 06:52 AM
just win...no injuries......that's all.......folks....

Copy, paste x 19. This is all there is

Bogozags
01-27-2015, 08:34 AM
Indeed.

+1

Let's just take one game at a time...Portland is mighty tough and we need to be up for this game...

Zagger
01-27-2015, 02:46 PM
+1

Let's just take one game at a time...Portland is mighty tough and we need to be up for this game...

I've gotta believe that the Zags are up for each game and plan ahead how they'll use each game to improve upon one/more of their attributes. Portland is a talented team and it is my guess that D is becoming more and more important to the Zags. What sort of points the Pilots will be able to put up will be telling. I'd love to see Portland not reach 50 (all while the Zags score at least 75). Then do the same to Memphis.

MTZag03
01-27-2015, 03:01 PM
I've gotta believe that the Zags are up for each game and plan ahead how they'll use each game to improve upon one/more of their attributes. Portland is a talented team and it is my guess that D is becoming more and more important to the Zags. What sort of points the Pilots will be able to put up will be telling. I'd love to see Portland not reach 50 (all while the Zags score at least 75). Then do the same to Memphis.

I agree. I feel that D is our secret weapon this year. If GU commits to it every game and commits to improving, we will be set.

ZagsGoZags
01-28-2015, 02:34 AM
Memphis has an RPI of 76, lower than EWU 61, BYU 59, and St. Mary's at 45

Bogozags
01-28-2015, 07:35 AM

Zagger,

I don't doubt that the staff discuss and prepare for future games when setting up their practices. I'm sure they are aware of how our defenses must be set for both UP and Memphis. The last time we played the Pilots, Bailey was not available for them, which will add to their depth and our game preparation. Memphis is a good team with skilled players; however, they are having discipline and morale issues on this club so not sure on how well prepared they will be for us this Saturday.

All things being equal, I believe we will control both games...don't know if we can keep the Pilots under 50 points just because of their style of play. Our defence will frustrate Memphis on Saturday and it might be difficult for them to break the 50 point barrier as they, for the most part, don't play as a TEAM for an entire 40 minutes. Needles to say, UP has a pretty good idea on how we play and will be prepared for us...believe it will just be how "ready" we will be Thursday night...it is at home so would imagine it won't be nearly as close as it was playing in Portland.

Our defence is becoming much more potent than in years past AND our offence is almost too good to be true. We are a really balanced and efficient team...

gonzagafan62
01-28-2015, 07:42 AM
Memphis has an RPI of 76, lower than EWU 61, BYU 59, and St. Mary's at 45

Its much improved over their 140 just a few weeks ago. Its continuing to improve. Trust me, do NOT overlook this team. They have the athletes to upset a team like Gonzaga. Just because they have been playing bad most of the season does not mean they are going to lay down and die for us.

zagfan24
01-28-2015, 07:43 AM
I always chuckle a bit at the "one game at a time" posts when we have other threads talking about 2016 and even 2017 recruits ;)

As for Memphis, it's one of those games where a win is meaningful only in terms of their past reputation as they are clearly a few notches below the norm. Personally, I do love the series and have always enjoyed having their fans visit our board...a very respectful and knowledgable bunch typically. Nichols will be an interesting matchup for the Zags.

Zagdawg
01-28-2015, 08:38 AM
I think some of our fans are worried about the players getting caught up in reading our board and they might overlook the next opponent. ;)

seacatfan
01-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Bailey is a good player for UP no doubt. However from following them casually, it doesn't appear that adding him back to the lineup has really helped them particularly. They have been struggling in conference play throughout the season. They did play the Zags tough in Portland, but that has been fairly much the norm for a number of years.

Definitely agree that the team should take a one game at a time approach, but us fans are free to look ahead and speculate and ramble on about nonsense as much as we like.

kitzbuel
01-28-2015, 10:12 AM
I have perused some of the Memphis fan forums. The Memphis netizens seem to be particularly down on Pastner. Obviously they are having a rather lackluster year this year and it will be a tall order to remedy it (though it is possible). Not getting to a Sweet 16 or better is probably hurting his standing with fans, particularly after the Final Four runs under Cal.

Seems that there are a ton of schools that would take the Tigers's success. You would think UW would kill to be in the tournament the last four years.

MDABE80
01-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Throw out all the numbers at this point in the season. We play defense like we must, we shoot well and rebound well and we win. Nothing left to say. It's likely we loose one ore game....hate the thought.....but. We've had a killer season so far. We need to be Lions.never a lamb..no room for it anymore.
A high seed is a pathway for us. Perhaps not as easy as 2 years ago but we can get to the E 8. It's been an awful long time.

gomemphistigers1
01-28-2015, 10:36 AM
we're pretty bad, guys...shut down Austin Nichols, and you'll beat us by 20.

25-10 NCAA Second Round
26-9 NCAA Second Round
31-5 NCAA Third Round
24-10 NCAA Third Round

106-34, 4 straight NCAAs (26.5 Ws per season)

^ I can live with that, no problem...losing to something called Carleton in Canada...and losing to teams like CBU, SFA, and Tulane is NOT ok.

then, anytime we meet a decent team like Baylor, OK State, Wichita State, hell, even Tulsa...we get our butts handed to us.

Zagger
01-28-2015, 10:39 AM
All things being equal, I believe we will control both games...don't know if we can keep the Pilots under 50 points just because of their style of play. Our defence will frustrate Memphis on Saturday and it might be difficult for them to break the 50 point barrier as they, for the most part, don't play as a TEAM for an entire 40 minutes. Needles to say, UP has a pretty good idea on how we play and will be prepared for us...believe it will just be how "ready" we will be Thursday night...it is at home so would imagine it won't be nearly as close as it was playing in Portland.............Our defence is becoming much more potent than in years past AND our offence is almost too good to be true. We are a really balanced and efficient team...
Yes, I'm always predicting through Koolaid colored glasses! I'm hoping that EMc, Gary, Draino and Melson give the Pilots fits on D and really distrupt their scoring (those 4 IMHO are the quickest Zags on D). Zag Nation should help D along as well. Hoping for low TOs by Zags and high TOs by Pilots + some classy steals by the Zags. :)

Last but not least ..... the 3 Pangos makes will drive K2 wild! I hope it comes in the first 3 minutes! :)

gonzagafan62
01-28-2015, 11:13 AM
we're pretty bad, guys...shut down Austin Nichols, and you'll beat us by 20.

25-10 NCAA Second Round
26-9 NCAA Second Round
31-5 NCAA Third Round
24-10 NCAA Third Round

106-34, 4 straight NCAAs (26.5 Ws per season)

^ I can live with that, no problem...losing to something called Carleton in Canada...and losing to teams like CBU, SFA, and Tulane is NOT ok.

then, anytime we meet a decent team like Baylor, OK State, Wichita State, hell, even Tulsa...we get our butts handed to us.

Nice to see you again! I think its going to be a much tougher game than people bring out to be. I can just feel it....

gomemphistigers1
01-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Nice to see you again! I think its going to be a much tougher game than people bring out to be. I can just feel it....

I don't know, we have the raw talent, but they don't play together, and the coaching is questionable IMHO.

I expect Memphis to go:

PG - Kedren Johnson (Vandy transfer)
G - Avery Woodson (CC Transfer)
G/F - Nick King (four-star out of Memphis)
PF - Austin Nichols (five-star out of Memphis)
C - Calvin Godfrey (SWAC player of the year, Southern U Transfer)
-------
PG - Pookie Powell (four-star from Florida)
G/F - Markel Crawford (three-star out of Memphis)
G/F - Trahson Burrell (CC Transfer)

question mark is PF, Shaq Goodwin, McDonalds All-American, but he hasn't played well as of late, and twisted his ankle against ECU...no idea if he can go Sat.

Pastner has already run off Dom Magee and Kuran Iverson...

attendance is starting to falter as well, we had 13k in an 18,100+ seat arena last night...the fans are starting to give up on Pastner.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/gomemphistigers1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspfghdwqp.jpg

TheZagPhish
01-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Good to see you again, memphis!

attendance is starting to falter as well, we had 13k in an 18,100+ seat arena last night...the fans are starting to give up on Pastner.

http://cl.ly/ZVyI/dude-stirs-and-listens.gif

That's a bummer, man.

OTOH, I managed to score a ticket to the game and I'm stoked!

gomemphistigers1
01-29-2015, 10:19 AM
L. Jason Smith @TheCAJasonSmith 5h 5 hours ago
Pastner says Shaq sprained his ankle early in game and was held out as a precaution. Said he should be good to go vs. Gonzaga on Saturday.

that's good news for Memphis...

gonzagafan62
01-29-2015, 10:35 AM
L. Jason Smith @TheCAJasonSmith 5h 5 hours ago
Pastner says Shaq sprained his ankle early in game and was held out as a precaution. Said he should be good to go vs. Gonzaga on Saturday.

that's good news for Memphis...

Very good news. I am glad he will be ready for Saturday.

DixieZag
01-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Good to see you again, memphis!

http://cl.ly/ZVyI/dude-stirs-and-listens.gif

That's a bummer, man.

OTOH, I managed to score a ticket to the game and I'm stoked!

You are stoked a good percentage of time anyway. And I think that's great!

Cool gif.

I think GU wants this one bad, after last year especially, plus it is the last non-WCC and somewhat name brand name. I think we run them right over.

Hope I run into you Saturday.

DixieZag
01-29-2015, 10:57 AM
I don't know, we have the raw talent, but they don't play together, and the coaching is questionable IMHO.

I expect Memphis to go:

PG - Kedren Johnson (Vandy transfer)
G - Avery Woodson (CC Transfer)
G/F - Nick King (four-star out of Memphis)
PF - Austin Nichols (five-star out of Memphis)
C - Calvin Godfrey (SWAC player of the year, Southern U Transfer)
-------
PG - Pookie Powell (four-star from Florida)
G/F - Markel Crawford (three-star out of Memphis)
G/F - Trahson Burrell (CC Transfer)

question mark is PF, Shaq Goodwin, McDonalds All-American, but he hasn't played well as of late, and twisted his ankle against ECU...no idea if he can go Sat.

Pastner has already run off Dom Magee and Kuran Iverson...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/gomemphistigers1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspfghdwqp.jpg

Good to have you back.

Where's everyone else?

Lack of interest this year?

It happens.

gomemphistigers1
01-29-2015, 12:22 PM
team will be arriving today...they will be staying at the historic Davenport Hotel (with dinner at the Palm Court Grill)...should be a fun trip for the Tigers.

ZagsGoZags
01-29-2015, 09:25 PM
I expect Eric may get a chance to say his hellos to former team mate Kedren Johnson, when they both played together at Vanderbilt on the 2012-13 squad.
I hope Eric can say a few things about Memphis, having played against them twice a year, that might be helpful to our team.

ZagaZags
01-29-2015, 10:14 PM
I hope the Zags play better on Saturday or GU will be 21-2.

Tonight,
FG 40.7%
3 Pt. 22.7%
FT 64.7%

zagamatic
01-29-2015, 10:39 PM
We've been going at it against Memphis for so long that it feels like a true rivalry game despite the distance. As we all know, players tend to exceed expectations in rivalry games. It was mentioned above that the Memphis fan base may be close to giving up on Pastner, Saturday night could be a good guage as to where his players stand with him. Either way, an underdog with nothing to lose on primetime national tv against a top 3 opponent is a dangerous thing.

jazzdelmar
01-30-2015, 01:51 AM
Not quite prime time. Spokane's 7pm is another man's Saturday Night Live.

bartruff1
01-30-2015, 04:33 AM
Gonzaga is not going to lose in the Kennel to Memphis....

RenoZag
01-30-2015, 04:52 AM
team will be arriving today...they will be staying at the historic Davenport Hotel (with dinner at the Palm Court Grill)...should be a fun trip for the Tigers.

Hope they don't have too much fun

gonzagafan62
01-30-2015, 05:55 AM
Gonzaga is not going to lose in the Kennel to Memphis....

Usually I would be the first one to say something like this. But how many times have I thought we could beat Memphis, and we find a way to lose. We have only won once, and I was not able to watch the game (damn work) but you would think we would be set up in good hands this year.

I'll believe it when I see it.

bartruff1
01-30-2015, 06:45 AM
Hope they don't have too much fun

Sprague is not Beale Street....

RenoZag
01-30-2015, 06:54 AM
Sprague is not Beale Street....

I was thinking more along the lines of the time they will have in the Mac. . .

gomemphistigers1
01-30-2015, 07:06 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of the time they will have in the Mac. . .

I was reading you sig...

"On paper, things can always look good," Pangos said. "Then you get together and it doesn't click.

Pangos summed up the 2014-15 Tigers.

we've won 5 of 6, and have an rpi of 75...hopefully that will help you guys out...I really hold out no hope for this game.

I plan to get a six-pack of Memphis' Ghost River beer, and be unconscious by 11pm (end of game on the west coast)

Reborn
01-30-2015, 09:49 AM
Usually I would be the first one to say something like this. But how many times have I thought we could beat Memphis, and we find a way to lose. We have only won once, and I was not able to watch the game (damn work) but you would think we would be set up in good hands this year.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Usually we're pretty close on our predictions gonzagafan62, but not this time. I have great respect for your ability to analyze opponents so I'm looking forward to see which of us is closest this time. I try to analyze the opponents carefully and don't often base my judgement on feelings. And sometimes, because of that I've been way off. But I'm sticking with my method of analysis. I don't see Memphis as a very good team this year, and has been noted they are having problems internally and this is NEVER good.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

gonzagafan62
01-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Usually we're pretty close on our predictions gonzagafan62, but not this time. I have great respect for your ability to analyze opponents so I'm looking forward to see which of us is closest this time. I try to analyze the opponents carefully and don't often base my judgement on feelings. And sometimes, because of that I've been way off. But I'm sticking with my method of analysis. I don't see Memphis as a very good team this year, and has been noted they are having problems internally and this is NEVER good.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Thanks Reborn. I appreciate the compliment. I, like you, have been pretty good on this, and this is the first time we have both been on opposite spectrums of the ball here. I don't really care which way it is, (may the best predictor win) haha... Just win baby!

ZagsGoZags
01-30-2015, 12:34 PM
"Memphis ... is having problems internally and this is NEVER good."
I hope whatever is going on with Nunez stays with Nunez ...

gonzagafan62
01-30-2015, 01:08 PM
Let's not forget:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/1/30/7953529/big-recruiting-weekend-for-gonzaga-as-bulldogs-take-on-memphis

DADoZAG
01-30-2015, 01:14 PM
"Memphis ... is having problems internally and this is NEVER good."
I hope whatever is going on with Nunez stays with Nunez ...

Internal team problems are in fact cancer. We all know there are several ways to "treat' cancer, but the host is rarely "cured" unless it can be 100% removed. That is extremely difficult and nearly always very painful.

Go ZAGS!

As for AN, would appear he has lost all belief, all hope in his basketball future. While sometimes life is hard, it's still very unfortunate.

Will be very pleased to find out that assessment is way off, several gifts that young man has been blessed with.

ZagsGoZags
01-31-2015, 09:56 AM
In the recent domination of Memphis over GU, I have often wondered how much of it was due to better athletes and how much was due to Pastner matching up well against Few. Like Tony Bennett matched up well against Few. I realize for the game tonight we probably have a better crew of players. But to whatever extent their domination of us recently has been due to Pastner, this could still be an issue in this game.