PDA

View Full Version : Newcomers

Ekrub
01-25-2015, 11:00 AM
We have now had good looks at sabonis, Perkins, Melson, Wesley, and wiltjer. Who has been the most impressive and who has most exceeded your expectations?

For me, Wiltjer has been the most impressive. Very efficient scorer. Think we knew he had this potential though.

Sabonis has been the biggest surprise. Fantastic motor and when he touches the ball down low we get buckets.

gonzagafan62
01-25-2015, 11:04 AM
Sabonis. He don't miss. Easily newcomer of the year.... Well wiltjers up there too :) what a team

mgadfly
01-25-2015, 11:19 AM
There is no "right" answer to this question. They have all been fantastic. Verdict still out on EM but I liked what I saw from him last night too.

My favorite player of them all is Sabonis. Not because he has been more impressive than Wiltjer or Wesley but because I think he has what we've missed in some of the years we were close to breaking through. He just seems like a guy that would stab the back of your hand with his fork if you tried to take a slice of bacon off his breakfast plate. He plays nasty and aggressive inside with a Mike Hart like motor. Plus, how big are his hands to grab that ball like a tennis ball and throw it around like that?

Do you think they ever had some "newcomers" vs "returner" scrimmages this fall? I'd pay to see that:

PG: Pangos vs Perkins/EMac
SG: Bell vs Melson
SF: Dranginis vs Wesley
PF: Nunez vs Wiltjer
C: Karnowski vs Sabonis
6: Griffin vs EMac
7: Edwards vs Triano

Returners would have some size and a little experience on the newcomers, but those are two complete rosters.

Marcus
01-25-2015, 11:22 AM
I like what Wiltjer has brought to this team. I expected this out of him however.

Biggest surprise has been Domas. He has added so much toughness to this team. It's been really fun to watch him progress.

RenoZag
01-25-2015, 11:29 AM
He just seems like a guy that would stab the back of your hand with his fork if you tried to take a slice of bacon off his breakfast plate. He plays nasty and aggressive inside with a Mike Hart like motor.

this

jazzdelmar
01-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Sabonis with a bullet.

TheZagPhish
01-25-2015, 12:18 PM
http://cl.ly/ZSkg/sabonis-stats-01.25.15.jpg

seacatfan
01-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Wiltjer easily. Sabonis is a great 3rd option at the 4/5, his shooting percentage is ridiculous and he is s strong rebounder. However he is not nearly as versatile on offense as either Karno or Wiltjer and both of those players bring quite a few things to the table that Sabonis doesn't.

Zagger
01-25-2015, 12:57 PM
There is no "right" answer to this question. They have all been fantastic. Verdict still out on EM but I liked what I saw from him last night too.

My favorite player of them all is Sabonis. Not because he has been more impressive than Wiltjer or Wesley but because I think he has what we've missed in some of the years we were close to breaking through. He just seems like a guy that would stab the back of your hand with his fork if you tried to take a slice of bacon off his breakfast plate. He plays nasty and aggressive inside with a Mike Hart like motor. Plus, how big are his hands to grab that ball like a tennis ball and throw it around like that?

Yeah! :)

cjm720
01-25-2015, 01:02 PM
Sabonis but the beauty of it, no one has underachieved. A great group!

MickMick
01-25-2015, 01:42 PM
For me it is Wesley. He has come as advertised which doesn't happen as much as we would like.

The slashing, penetrating three that provides scoring pressure combined with timely defense has long been the missing link for this team. The only, and I mean only reason I think this team could potentially fare better than past teams is due to Wesley. A piece that has not been there before.

I would like to see a little more "inside out" game from Wesley though. Penetrate and pass back out to an open perimeter player. Wesley is very effective scoring so it isn't a major issue, but just something additional for opponents to game plan for.

btzag
01-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Most amazing thing for me is that they ALL have been impressive! Two US freshmen, one international frosh, an underclassmen transfer with a year in the program and a senior/grad transfer and they all have fit in great on offense, defense and especially as teammates. Don't think we have ever seen anything even remotely close to this in the history of GU basketball! Sure there have been great individual newcomers in every class but don't think there has ever been this number and variety of successful newcomers. Blown away by them ALL.

DixieZag
01-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Most amazing thing for me is that they ALL have been impressive! Two US freshmen, one international frosh, an underclassmen transfer with a year in the program and a senior/grad transfer and they all have fit in great on offense, defense and especially as teammates. Don't think we have ever seen anything even remotely close to this in the history of GU basketball! Sure there have been great individual newcomers in every class but don't think there has ever been this number and variety of successful newcomers. Blown away by them ALL.

And probably never will again - at least not in that kind of combination and in that kind of number. What amazing engineering by Few.

roxdoc
01-25-2015, 10:53 PM
The "perfect storm".

MDABE80
01-26-2015, 01:31 AM
We knew Wiltjer could shoot. I'm most surprised by his defense ( not in a good way). Domas is a huge surprise. For me though Wesley is the one big factor. Smooth, everywhere, shoots well, plays very very good defense and he rebounds. Seems to know where to be to rebound and/or make a difference. We
re gonna miss this kid. Plays the right way.

TexasZagFan
01-26-2015, 04:45 AM
The "perfect storm".

Yeah, there's a t-shirt in there, along the same lines of "You Can't Stop the Stache" from the days of Ammo.

BULLDOG#1
01-26-2015, 06:57 AM
Sabonis, without question.

I figured Wiltjer and Wesley would be as solid and they've both slightly exceeded my expectations.

But Sabonis is incredible. To rebound like he does as a freshman is truly impressive. I did not see that coming. Assuming he stays for four years and continues to improve, with extended minutes he could lead the entire NCAA in rebounding.

jpwils
01-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Sabonis, without question.

I figured Wiltjer and Wesley would be as solid and they've both slightly exceeded my expectations.

But Sabonis is incredible. To rebound like he does as a freshman is truly impressive. I did not see that coming. Assuming he stays for four years and continues to improve, with extended minutes he could lead the entire NCAA in rebounding.

Several players have been pleasant surprises.

Wiltjer IS as good as advertised! His shooting and ability to score in a VARIETY of WAYS was the surprise for me- he is also a good passer!

Wesley has done well at playing within the system and taking smart shots and getting rebounds- his defense was a surprise to me.

Sabonis is a little better than advertised- his rebounding is needed on this team!

Since McClellan has been injured we need to get more of a sample size to even comment but he looks promising!

Same with Perkins- get well, Josh!

Nevada Don
01-26-2015, 09:52 AM
For me it is Wesley. He has come as advertised which doesn't happen as much as we would like.

The slashing, penetrating three that provides scoring pressure combined with timely defense has long been the missing link for this team. The only, and I mean only reason I think this team could potentially fare better than past teams is due to Wesley. A piece that has not been there before.

I would like to see a little more "inside out" game from Wesley though. Penetrate and pass back out to an open perimeter player. Wesley is very effective scoring so it isn't a major issue, but just something additional for opponents to game plan for.

Early on in the season I posted on GIAG how impressed I was with Sabonis, Wiltjer and Wesley. What an abundance of riches. Now at this point in the season if I had to pick based on recent performance and potential going forward, it's Sabonis.

kitzbuel
01-26-2015, 09:59 AM
If Perkins hadn't been injured, I think it would have been very interesting to see who would be considered the 'best' newcomer between Sabonis and him.

It is remarkable that all of our new players have at a minimum met expectations and in general have exceeded them. I think Sabonis and Wesley have been the biggest eye-openers for me. Sabonis brought an intensity and skill set that is galvanizing. He is the player most likely to be able to carry a team on his back of all the newbys. Of course, I don't have a lot of Perkins to use for evaluating him.

I was very worried Wesley would follow the Coleman pattern. He instead looks like he has been a three year starter. He has been able to do anything that has been asked of him and fit in with the game plan. He has stepped up from outside when he was left alone out there, he creates havoc with his drives and plays great defense. Everything you want from a senior.

gonzagafan62
01-26-2015, 10:03 AM

Do you think they ever had some "newcomers" vs "returner" scrimmages this fall? I'd pay to see that:

PG: Pangos vs Perkins/EMac
SG: Bell vs Melson
SF: Dranginis vs Wesley
PF: Nunez vs Wiltjer
C: Karnowski vs Sabonis
6: Griffin vs EMac
7: Edwards vs Triano

Returners would have some size and a little experience on the newcomers, but those are two complete rosters.

If they would show this game like 4 or 5 times on TV in the summer months, I would be more than happy to pay for it. Even if its pay per view. That would be sweet, to have this game here 4 or 5 times in the summer so we could watch it.

Go Zags!