PDA

View Full Version : someone help me understand this...

Gonzdb8
01-25-2015, 10:07 AM
i find many SMC fans to be reasonable types, but then i see something like this and i'm really left scratching my head....

"GON is solid across the board, I was pleasantly surprised how SMC control 2/3 of their match up. But gladly conseed to their talent and skill...I still question their will."

i appreciate they were pleasantly surprised, but did anyone here think they were in "control" of that game at any point? i realize they tied it up and even pulled within 3 mid 2nd half, but a) we had a decent lead for the bulk of that game and b) we never showed any signs that we were going to choke that one away. like all of us i've sweated many a close zags games in my day, but never felt nervous about this one at any point. SMC played decent basketball and kept themselves in the game for a decent chunk of the game, but thats about the extent of it.
also, why in the heck would anyone question our will? we've let a few monster leads slip away but still ended up winning most of those games by double digits. if anything i'd question of the will of a team that was in "control" for 2/3 of the game and then let themselves get beat like they stole something form us over last 10-12 minutes.
also - smc guy, "conseed" is a not a word. i suspect you meant "concede".
ok ... rant over. probably shouldn't be pickin' on little brother anyhow.

GrizZAG
01-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Any sports forum has a range of whacky to very accurate posters. This one is no different except 98% of the time the posts are quality which is much higher than most boards. Everybody has their dorks :)
Each fan loves their team and has jaded glasses on the way they perceive the game, refs and outcomes to some degree maybe. The takaway post game when we lose is hard to take, thus one looks for a redeeming portion to camp on it seems. As for the questioning the will, the poster could be interpreted as saying the Zags should have dominated wire to wire in this game and why were they not doing so. Or, perhaps a defensive letdown might imply we are not motivated enough. Who knows what was meant, perhaps they will reply and clarify.
My view is that this team is so different than any we have seen in that they are balanced in depth and we don't have an Ammo type dominant player or even quite a KO. On any night one of 4-5 different players might emerge as somewhat dominant, but I find myself struggling at times picking a POG because several had their moments that mattered so much. The balance and depth are just a phenomenon you just don't see often. Lucky we are.

NumberCruncher
01-25-2015, 10:25 AM
From Wikipedia:

http://i.imgur.com/33fpyKw.jpg

Gonezagaga
01-25-2015, 10:31 AM
i find many SMC fans to be reasonable types, but then i see something like this and i'm really left scratching my head....

"GON is solid across the board, I was pleasantly surprised how SMC control 2/3 of their match up. But gladly conseed to their talent and skill...I still question their will."

i appreciate they were pleasantly surprised, but did anyone here think they were in "control" of that game at any point? i realize they tied it up and even pulled within 3 mid 2nd half, but a) we had a decent lead for the bulk of that game and b) we never showed any signs that we were going to choke that one away. like all of us i've sweated many a close zags games in my day, but never felt nervous about this one at any point. SMC played decent basketball and kept themselves in the game for a decent chunk of the game, but thats about the extent of it.
also, why in the heck would anyone question our will? we've let a few monster leads slip away but still ended up winning most of those games by double digits. if anything i'd question of the will of a team that was in "control" for 2/3 of the game and then let themselves get beat like they stole something form us over last 10-12 minutes.
also - smc guy, "conseed" is a not a word. i suspect you meant "concede".
ok ... rant over. probably shouldn't be pickin' on little brother anyhow.

To be fair, all of those comments and misspellings came from a single Gael fan. I believe that he is also the father of a former player ~a very good one at that~. Maybe being so close to the program has has given him an altered sense of reality.

Marcus
01-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Meh, it was on their board so no biggie. I absolutely don't agree with what he said but posting stuff with rose colored glasses on your own board happens on every fan board. Now if he had posted that here I would feel totally different about it.

bartruff1
01-25-2015, 10:49 AM
why bother ?

gonzagafan62
01-25-2015, 11:07 AM
This delusional fan knows they didn't control the game at all. Every team has it's fans of a terrible delusion

RenoZag
01-25-2015, 11:11 AM
The King of Delusion was the USF fan who wrote a couple of days ago:

"USF will win the WCC tourney and represent the WCC in the NCAA tournament."

willandi
01-25-2015, 11:24 AM
Perhaps the 2/3rds of the game had nothing to do with the players?
Bennett certainly tried to control the game from the 'Coach riding the ref' point of view, and at times I thought the announcers were definitely enthralled with Waldow, so maybe that was the 2nd third!

gonzagafan62
01-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Perhaps the 2/3rds of the game had nothing to do with the players?
Bennett certainly tried to control the game from the 'Coach riding the ref' point of view, and at times I thought the announcers were definitely enthralled with Waldow, so maybe that was the 2nd third!

Hahahaha good point .... SMC controlle 0% of that game lol

GaelfanCA
01-25-2015, 11:57 AM
What do you want us to say? Gonzaga is the best team in the country by far, hand them the national title and build a 15 foot tall statue of Mark Few and Kevin Pangos making out in downtown Spokane?

Honestly, you guys are clearly the best team in the WCC. What that poster was saying was that we were controlling the pace of the game pretty well. I think even you guys will admit scoring 27 points in the first half was not the type of game you wanted to play a more offensive game than that.

Don't get me wrong, you guys played great defense, but we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on some pretty open 3's and missed some easy bunnies as well.

If you guys think you are invincible that's cool, but you're ripping on the Gales and our "delusional" fans will come back to haunt you when you come into Moraga and we knock down those open 3's and send you back to Spokanistan with a loss.

I'm not saying were better than you, but we are good enough to beat you at home.

All the best,
Delusional SMC fan

RenoZag
01-25-2015, 12:04 PM
"Gales" ?

If you guys think you are invincible that's cool, but you're ripping on the Gales and our "delusional" fans will come back to haunt you when you come into Moraga. . .

Looks like autocorrect is not your friend.

OTOH, gales are blow hards. Maybe the spelling was intentional ?

Good luck to the Gaels of St. Mary's.

Ekrub
01-25-2015, 12:05 PM
What do you want us to say? Gonzaga is the best team in the country by far, hand them the national title and build a 15 foot tall statue of Mark Few and Kevin Pangos making out in downtown Spokane?

That would be a start.

willandi
01-25-2015, 12:05 PM

Honestly, you guys are clearly the best team in the WCC. What that poster was saying was that we were controlling the pace of the game pretty well. I think even you guys will admit scoring 27 points in the first half was not the type of game you wanted to play a more offensive game than that.

Don't get me wrong, you guys played great defense, but we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on some pretty open 3's and missed some easy bunnies as well.

If you guys think you are invincible that's cool, but you're ripping on the Gales and our "delusional" fans will come back to haunt you when you come into Moraga and we knock down those open 3's and send you back to Spokanistan with a loss.

I'm not saying were better than you, but we are good enough to beat you at home.

All the best,
Delusional SMC fan

Don't think anybody mentioned the Gales. Our comments were about the Gaels!

Look forward to a great game in Moraga. Remember though, the Zags shots weren't falling either. A loss might not hurt the Zags too much. Might drop from a #1 seed to a #2 seed, and that might not be such a bad thing.

TheZagPhish
01-25-2015, 12:07 PM
68-47

Rangerzag
01-25-2015, 12:09 PM

If the Zags play their best game the Gaels don't have a good enough best game to win.

Time will tell what actually takes place.

Hoopaholic
01-25-2015, 12:10 PM
That would be a start.

I would settle for a life size bronze statue in the parking lot of jack and dans if we win national title.....I am not overly picky

Hoopaholic
01-25-2015, 12:13 PM

All the best,
Delusional SMC fan

any WCC team is good enough to beat another D1 team on their homecourt if the visitors fail to show, have a miserable night shooting, foul trouble or lost key starters to injury

however, a realistic review of position by position, style by style and all things being equal above, an honest person would agree there would be little chance to win at home.......

you get hot, we have foul trouble, we lose a starter between now and then yes you have an opportunity

but straight up as we stand, with current percentages on the table.....sorry odds makers would give you 1 in 5 chance of winning

seacatfan
01-25-2015, 12:20 PM
I haven't watched St. Mary's other than the GU game, so I can't comment about what a typical performance for them looks like. I do know GU played fairly badly for about 3/4 of the game. Only playing well for 1/4 of the game they were able to blow St. Mary's doors off. If I were an SMC fan I would be worried about catching GU on a day when they are playing well. As stated above the Zags weren't getting their 3's to drop, that is unusual.

USF
01-25-2015, 02:57 PM
RiordanGael is "FriskoKid" on this board. His son was Rob Jones. Someone once posted about how Rob ended up transferring from USD to St. Mary's and didn't have to sit out the transfer year. Ever since then, he has been on a rampage against USF. 95% of his posts slip in some slam on USF. He is actually a USF alum, although nobody seems to ever have seen him on campus in the 80's.

He refers to Gonzaga a no 1 in the WCC and SMC at "1b". Bizarre, since the Zags have completely dominated the Gaels in the last 7 meetings. He also thinks that St Mary's will contend for the WCC title next year, even though they start 5 seniors who score 95% of their points. Yesterday, their senior starters scored 72 of their 74 points.

Half go their team next year will be Aussies.

DixieZag
01-25-2015, 03:20 PM
If the guy was an innocent but delusional or a pleasantly insane person, it would be no big deal, but I would dearly love to see what would happen if an obnoxious jerk walked up to Kevin and Gary and questioned their will to win.

You could sell tickets.

jake
01-25-2015, 03:21 PM
While St. Mary's didn't control anything, they were competitive for a large portion of the game. Most of the post is as delusional as you would expect from any passionate fan looking for positives. The part about our will is way out in right field.

As any team finds success, and their fan base grows, they end up with what seems like more fans that are delusional, arrogant, etc. Some are bandwagon fans that probably are all of those things, but to me that has always been a numbers game. The core fan base remains the same. St. Mary's has been very successful in recent years. It bugs me when people try to define GU fans by the small percentage that fit the bill that I described above. I'm not going to do the same to another school.

kitzbuel
01-25-2015, 03:44 PM

O. M. G.

Does the NCAA know this? Someone should let the Government know!

sittingon50
01-25-2015, 04:11 PM

All the best,
Delusional SMC fan

Serious question, GF. What's with the "Spokanistan?" What is that supposed to imply? And, if I may, where do you reside?

gonzagafan62
01-25-2015, 04:11 PM

All the best,
Delusional SMC fan

I'm not worried at all about going to Moraga. That being said.... We are not even close to being the best team...Kentucky and Virginia are by far the best teams in the country. We know that. The thing is the game was not controlled by smc at all. We can play at any pace and I'm pretty sure we led by 6 at half. New we missed some easy shots too so it wasn't just smc it was us too. If we made our shot we have a 15pt lead at half. You guys are a good team. Just not the old Gaels at all

DixieZag
01-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Serious question, GF. What's with the "Spokanistan?" What is that supposed to imply? And, if I may, where do you reside?

They like to demonstrate their sophistication by referring to Spokane as a place well beneath them. To be fair, it is not just an SMC thing.

Having lived in both, Spokane and the Bay area.... I like both.

RenoZag
01-25-2015, 04:42 PM
The "Spokanistan" put-down of Spokane employed for many seasons by members of the God Is A Gael message board (because being in the East Bay hills is so much cooler) is pretty typical fan board stuff. "Mike Eurzione," " tomgryl31" and other GIAG posters throw the term into their posts from time to time.

"My zip code is better than your zip code ! So there!" Or some such nonsense.

MickMick
01-25-2015, 05:13 PM
GU was very sloppy in the first half. Perhaps some of it due to SMC, but in my mind, most of it unforced errors.

One might get the impression that SMC played well on the defensive end. I believe it was more from GU not playing well on the offensive end. At least not to the level we had grown accustomed to. In the second half, GU committed fewer mental lapses on offense and pulled away.

Without players of the caliber of Samhan, McConnell, Mills, Jones, and Dellavedova, SMC is a mere shadow of what they used to be. Especially when you consider they are a senior laden, veteran team. Indeed, in my opinion, the reason they are in second place is more due to their experience than their raw talent.

I will add that their center with the blonde hair perm didn't look too bad. What is his name? Typical dufus looking SMC player that has surprising game.

23dpg
01-25-2015, 05:22 PM
RiordanGael is "FriskoKid" on this board. His son was Rob Jones. Someone once posted about how Rob ended up transferring from USD to St. Mary's and didn't have to sit out the transfer year. Ever since then, he has been on a rampage against USF. 95% of his posts slip in some slam on USF. He is actually a USF alum, although nobody seems to ever have seen him on campus in the 80's.

He refers to Gonzaga a no 1 in the WCC and SMC at "1b". Bizarre, since the Zags have completely dominated the Gaels in the last 7 meetings. He also thinks that St Mary's will contend for the WCC title next year, even though they start 5 seniors who score 95% of their points. Yesterday, their senior starters scored 72 of their 74 points.

His son was Rob Jones? That means his dad was Jim. Whoa!

MTZag03
01-25-2015, 06:16 PM

And someone at Dons Central brought that up as legitimate fodder for personal attack. It was unsettling.

webspinnre
01-25-2015, 07:20 PM
The "Spokanistan" put-down of Spokane employed for many seasons by members of the God Is A Gael message board (because being in the East Bay hills is so much cooler) is pretty typical fan board stuff. "Mike Eurzione," " tomgryl31" and other GIAG posters throw the term into their posts from time to time.

"My zip code is better than your zip code ! So there!" Or some such nonsense.

East Bay Hills are pretty nice. I wouldn't mind living there. Of course, I'd happily move back to Spokane as well, and currently live in Napa County.

BTB
01-25-2015, 09:09 PM
They like to demonstrate their sophistication by referring to Spokane as a place well beneath them. To be fair, it is not just an SMC thing.

Having lived in both, Spokane and the Bay area.... I like both.

I'm from Spokane, went to school in Montana. Spokanistan is the most common nickname Spokane has. That's just what people call us. Other popular nicknames are Spocompton, Spokandyland
and Spocan't. Our city is not appealing to many, and the reason why is pretty apparent when you take I-90 through downtown and look anywhere off the freeway. Spokane as a whole is not pretty and has a lot of problems. It is not until you get to know the town and understand the good places to be that you start realizing its a pretty neat place to be. I don't blame outsiders for making fun of it though.

And someone at Dons Central brought that up as legitimate fodder for personal attack. It was unsettling.

That has been common at Dons Central for a while now, I believe.

Zagdawg
01-25-2015, 09:30 PM
The lack of knowledge can lead the uninformed to not understand Spokane.

Apparently a few people like Spokane as it is the 2nd most populous city in the state of Washington.

I travel the country for my job and I receive good reactions/respect related to Spokane and the Zags--but maybe it is just the folks I am interacting with are through a more professional nature. Most people think of Washington and they think of the rain/traffic --I explain that we get all four seasons and traffic is minimal on our side of the state.

If everyone realized how great Spokane really is--the population influx could be detrimental --- we can keep it our little secret and we will be just fine. ;)

DixieZag
01-25-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm from Spokane, went to school in Montana. Spokanistan is the most common nickname Spokane has. That's just what people call us. Other popular nicknames are Spocompton, Spokandyland
and Spocan't. Our city is not appealing to many, and the reason why is pretty apparent when you take I-90 through downtown and look anywhere off the freeway. Spokane as a whole is not pretty and has a lot of problems. It is not until you get to know the town and understand the good places to be that you start realizing its a pretty neat place to be. I don't blame outsiders for making fun of it though.

I think it is always dangerous and rude to insult people's hometown or area. I've lived in 6 states, each has their great points and drawbacks. Any place has attractions and negatives that no one can know until they live there. And, even more importantly, anywhere one lives, it's the approach one brings to it that determines it's worth. Someone complaining incessantly in Manhattan will complain incessantly in Missoula.

It really is the lowest end of self-esteem if you're patting yourself on the back based on where one lives. As it is, I think those East Bay hills guys might have higher self-esteem if they lived near a 20 - 1 team that is ranked third in the nation which just blew out a team from the East Bay Hills.

BTB
01-25-2015, 09:53 PM
I think it is always dangerous and rude to insult people's hometown or area. I've lived in 6 states, each has their great points and drawbacks. Any place has attractions and negatives that no one can know until they live there. And, even more importantly, anywhere one lives, it's the approach one brings to it that determines it's worth. Someone complaining incessantly in Manhattan will complain incessantly in Missoula.

No doubt about that.

TheZagPhish
01-25-2015, 09:55 PM
I'm from Spokane, went to school in Montana. Spokanistan is the most common nickname Spokane has. That's just what people call us. Other popular nicknames are Spocompton, Spokandyland and Spocan't.

You can go down to Boo Radley's and purchase your own Spokanistan t-shirt! At least many of the folks here are good humored about the matter.

Our city is not appealing to many, and the reason why is pretty apparent when you take I-90 through downtown and look anywhere off the freeway. Spokane as a whole is not pretty and has a lot of problems. It is not until you get to know the town and understand the good places to be that you start realizing its a pretty neat place to be. I don't blame outsiders for making fun of it though.

I'll grant you, there are cities out there that are better suited to the freeway-drive-through assessment, but all of 'em have a lot of problems. As for pretty I suppose it's all relative, but it's absolutely beautiful in my neighborhood.

If everyone realized how great Spokane really is--the population influx could be detrimental --- we can keep it our little secret and we will be just fine. ;)

:cheers:

BTB
01-25-2015, 10:02 PM
I'll grant you, there are cities out there that are better suited to the freeway-drive-through assessment, but all of 'em have a lot of problems. As for pretty I suppose it's all relative, but it's absolutely beautiful in my neighborhood.

Oh no doubt my neighborhood is gorgeous as well, many areas of Spokane are! I mostly just meant the quick impression people usually get from driving through is not always the greatest.

Ekrub
01-25-2015, 10:04 PM

Fascinating, didn't know that about rob Jones.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=3047543&src=desktop

Regarding the Spokane stuff. I think the hate comes from the fact that we have places to park.

Saxon_zag
01-26-2015, 09:43 AM

All the best,
Delusional SMC fan

From the snide trash talking before the game and now you post about a statue of KP and few "making out"? Weirdo... Run along troll. Your team is devoid of talent outside of Waldow and just generally irrelevant. I mean some guy in another thread is trying to convince everyone that beating Creighton this year was a good win... please..... I haven't even checked godisagael since Delly left.. zzzzzz

gonzagabasketball
01-26-2015, 06:47 PM
From the snide trash talking before the game and now you post about a statue of KP and few "making out"? Weirdo... Run along troll. Your team is devoid of talent outside of Waldow and just generally irrelevant. I mean some guy in another thread is trying to convince everyone that beating Creighton this year was a good win... please..... I haven't even checked godisagael since Delly left.. zzzzzz

I guess the issue I take with SMC fans is their frustration with no one else buying into the narrative of them being a program of consequence, one that rivals GU in anyway. They think of themselves as equals, peers, on par with Gonzaga, and when this view is not supported with results their angst increases as they are forced to admit the legitimacy of being dismissed as second rate.

SMC does not belong in any conversation involving status or accomplishment when it comes to comparisons with GU. Anyone can beat anyone on a given night, and the Gaels have proven this time and again, but it is a different level of talent and dedication required to sustain a success that garners national respect and Bennett and Co have done nothing to earn, or even expect such praise.

They hinge their ENTIRE framework of achievement on Gonzaga going out and earning a reputation backed by results and then demand an equal portion of the spoils when they manage to pull off an upset.

The list of Gaels I like is short; Simpson and McConnell. Respect; those two plus Samhan, Mills, Dellevadova, and Waldo. Their Sweet 16 run stands on its own and it's never easy to make the NCAA tournament, so hats of to them in that regard. Bennett is a good coach who doesn't seem to have the institutional support in pushing the program to the next level that Few has had at GU, so I don't hold that against him, but the results are what they are. This isn't a discussion on semantics, they are not 1a and 1b, it isn't GU and everyone else. It's Gonzaga, who stands alone. End of story. SMC has an identity issue that will never be resolved until they start reaching for the stars instead of just GUs jock.

Since Few has taken the reigns, GU has a head to head record of 34-7 over all and 9-2 in the WCC tournament (5-2 in championship games). GU has won 7 in a row and 8 of the last 11 I believe. Few has 15 NCAA aappearances, 13 regular season titles, and 11 tournament titles (compared to SMCs 5, 2, and 2). There is simply no measure by which they compare unless you begin cherry picking random outliers to support those baseless claims.

I cannot stand this contrived rivalry. SMC is simply the most recent WCC foil, nothing more.

Nevada Don
01-26-2015, 07:14 PM
While St. Mary's didn't control anything, they were competitive for a large portion of the game. Most of the post is as delusional as you would expect from any passionate fan looking for positives. The part about our will is way out in right field.

As any team finds success, and their fan base grows, they end up with what seems like more fans that are delusional, arrogant, etc. Some are bandwagon fans that probably are all of those things, but to me that has always been a numbers game. The core fan base remains the same. St. Mary's has been very successful in recent years. It bugs me when people try to define GU fans by the small percentage that fit the bill that I described above. I'm not going to do the same to another school.

I like your post very much. However, I will use the line I've used before. Most of the ignorant posts come from people with relatively few postings. "I am the perfect example".

Guys, you certainly have every right to speak up. I also hear that most of you realize that you can't judge the many by the words of a foolish few (no pun intended). I read here a lot and sometimes I read something that is a little "upsetting". So I write a reply and then usually delete it before sending because I know that most of you are good, rational people that love your school that aren't out to destroy the Little Town of Moraga.

All the Best Zags,
Don
Not #1, #1a or #1b

sittingon50
01-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Well stated & fair enough IMO, Don. Thanks.

DixieZag
01-26-2015, 07:57 PM
I like your post very much. However, I will use the line I've used before. Most of the ignorant posts come from people with relatively few postings. "I am the perfect example".

Guys, you certainly have every right to speak up. I also hear that most of you realize that you can't judge the many by the words of a foolish few (no pun intended). I read here a lot and sometimes I read something that is a little "upsetting". So I write a reply and then usually delete it before sending because I know that most of you are good, rational people that love your school that aren't out to destroy the Little Town of Moraga.

All the Best Zags,
Don
Not #1, #1a or #1b

Exactly.

And it is not like there is a "Gael" opinion of anything, each has a unique perspective and, by and large, the Gael fans here like DV and MBA who participate all year on a wide variety of topics on basketball generally, are positive additions to the board. I personally really like it when they weigh in on general basketball or Zag basketball opinions and hope they stay.

gonzagafan62
01-26-2015, 08:06 PM

All the Best Zags,
Don
Not #1, #1a or #1b
We'll said we def aren't out to destroy your school at all. What we are really trying to do is point out weaknesses of your school that we hope get better, as I've said many times, I don't fear smc. It's nothing against smc I just wish it would take the next step into being an annual tourney team. I hope for the best in the wcc. I like smc more than I do BYU. I like randy Bennett outside of his childish demeanor at times and think he's a really good coach. I respect what he's done for smc. Sometimes I get carried away but really I have enjoyed watching smc help build the wcc. Just one more step. Ooc that's all that's missing. And even parts of that isn't smc's fault. Some? Yes. All? No.