PDA

View Full Version : A bit of GU-Pacific post game radio

Section 116
01-24-2015, 06:47 PM
A few tidbits from post game radio:

Hudson and Santangelo remarked about GU's end of the first half lineup of Bell, Wesley, McClellan Nunez and Sabonis, I believe it was and how they really flew around, scored and caused a lot of problems for Pacific.

Tommy Lloyd said the Zags goal is to be a top 20 defensive team and after holding SMC to 36% they held Pacific to 33% shooting. Lloyd said those guys who come in at the end of the game are just as important as all the other guys. They know what we expect of them and we don't like to see our game stats skewed by end of the game poor rebounding, turnovers etc.

Coach Lloyd said he is not a big records guys and didn't realize Kevin needed one more three to break Stepp's record, or so he said. What he wanted to know was how many more points Pangos needed to pass Santangelo. Hudson told him he didn't think Pangos could get there and Lloyd said we'll just have to make sure we have enough games left, with a laugh.

Tommy very pleased with the balanced scoring tonight. He noted we have had games where three guys were around 20 and then there was a dropoff.
Tonight there were seven players who scored from 9 to 13 points, I believe. I didn't hear any player interview but I may have missed it.

Here's a post game Meehan tweet on Pangos: Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm
Pangos on 3 that would have broken record but rattled in-and-out: “That one felt really good, I thought it was down. Oh well, next one.”

Another Meehan tweet: Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm
Few, about putting Pangos back in (to get record): "Don't know why I would have." Told he needed 1 more 3. "It'll happen."

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-24-2015, 08:50 PM
A few tidbits from post game radio:

Hudson and Santangelo remarked about GU's end of the first half lineup of Bell, Wesley, McClellan Nunez and Sabonis, I believe it was and how they really flew around, scored and caused a lot of problems for Pacific.

Tommy Lloyd said the Zags goal is to be a top 20 defensive team and after holding SMC to 36% they held Pacific to 33% shooting. Lloyd said those guys who come in at the end of the game are just as important as all the other guys. They know what we expect of them and we don't like to see our game stats skewed by end of the game poor rebounding, turnovers etc.

Thanks for your recaps of post-game radio Section 116.....great to hear what the coaches and in-the-know commentators are saying about the Zags.

I could not watch the game tonight so this was the first I heard of the Bell, McClellan, Wesley, Nunez, Sabonis lineup....I love it and believe it relates directly to Coach Lloyd's mention of their goal to be a Top 20 defensive team. Hope we see more of this lineup because it can be a great defensive boost for the team, help get minutes for guys that deserve to play (McClellan and Nunez) while giving breathers to Pangos, KW, and PK. Hope we see more of this defense-minded lineup once we get a lead: Bell, McClellan, Wesley, Nunez, Sabonis

roxdoc
01-24-2015, 10:57 PM
During the game Santangelo commented that the McClellan, Melson, Wesley, Nunez, Sabonis unit was overall the most athletic team Gonzaga has ever had on the floor.

DixieZag
01-25-2015, 12:07 AM
I believe that Nunez should be getting more PT in these games. Inevitably, there will be some fairly close game where both Sabonis and Karno have early foul trouble and Nunez could eat up some minutes inside and give us defense, shot blocking and rebounding. He can also shoot FTs.

Hoopaholic
01-25-2015, 08:09 AM
I believe that Nunez should be getting more PT in these games. Inevitably, there will be some fairly close game where both Sabonis and Karno have early foul trouble and Nunez could eat up some minutes inside and give us defense, shot blocking and rebounding. He can also shoot FTs.

but he is not earning those extra minutes...he is killing his chances by coming in and immediately demonstrating some selfishness (borne out of frustration I am sure) and presses and tries way too hard....needs to come in relax, embrace his role and work hard to earn more minutes

mgadfly
01-25-2015, 11:09 AM
The Zags have some crazy athleticism on the bench.

Starters:
1. Pangos
2. Bell
3. Wesley
4. Wiltjer
5. Karno

6. Sabonis
7. Dranginis

8. Perks (when healthy)
9. EMac
10. Melson
11. Angel Nunez
12. Connor Griffin

13. Dustin Triano

The group of players, 8 through 12, are serious athletes. At one point late I think we had Emac, Melson, Dranginis, Griffin, and Nunez in and I realized the starters practice against those guys and they are a couple levels above the athletes they face in some of the games. And how about Griffin's dunk?

sittingon50
01-25-2015, 12:37 PM
but he is not earning those extra minutes...he is killing his chances by coming in and immediately demonstrating some selfishness (borne out of frustration I am sure) and presses and tries way too hard....needs to come in relax, embrace his role and work hard to earn more minutes

This.

jazzdelmar
01-25-2015, 12:40 PM
N/a

jazzdelmar
01-25-2015, 12:41 PM

Amen. Not close. Trust in him is nil. For good reason.

gonzagafan62
01-25-2015, 12:52 PM

Exactly.

DixieZag
01-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Yes, I get the ugliness of his appearances of late. I get that and it's certainly true.

What I wonder is if he were inserted into a game like LMU at home, or something like that, when we have a good lead, and inserted with 5:00 to play in the first half and be told "Defense and rebound, only shoot off a rebound" if he could follow that.

I don't know. It is definitely true that his hoisting up threes is a total turnoff. On the other hand, he's also gone relentlessly on the boards and blocked some shots at the same time. He played very well in the game he started against Tex So, Few said the start was "earned" - so he must practice hard. In other words, I wish we could trust him b/c there's an asset there if he would stick to a role.

Hoopaholic
01-25-2015, 01:04 PM
Yes, I get the ugliness of his appearances of late. I get that and it's certainly true.

What I wonder is if he were inserted into a game like LMU at home, or something like that, when we have a good lead, and inserted with 5:00 to play in the first half and be told "Defense and rebound, only shoot off a rebound" if he could follow that.

I don't know. It is definitely true that his hoisting up threes is a total turnoff. On the other hand, he's also gone relentlessly on the boards and blocked some shots at the same time. He played very well in the game he started against Tex So, Few said the start was "earned" - so he must practice hard. In other words, I wish we could trust him b/c there's an asset there if he would stick to a role.

that's based upon an assumption that the coaching staff has not already provided those directions.......I believe the coaching staff is far better than that and have provided those directions and we have seen an inability to follow those guiding principles

seacatfan
01-25-2015, 01:05 PM

Catch 22. He's not getting anything other than garbage minutes. He's pressing to try to show what he can do, but it probably doesn't matter at this point. He seems to have slid into a similar position as Coleman last year, and once Few loses confidence in you, you're done. I called it before the season started that Nunez would get lost in the shuffle and not play much more of a role than last year. It's looking like I was correct.

DixieZag
01-25-2015, 01:06 PM
that's based upon an assumption that the coaching staff has not already provided those directions.......I believe the coaching staff is far better than that and have provided those directions and we have seen an inability to follow those guiding principles

Maybe true.

There is little to lose if they wanted to try, again.

I understand either way.

DixieZag
01-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Catch 22. He's not getting anything other than garbage minutes. He's pressing to try to show what he can do, but it probably doesn't matter at this point. He seems to have slid into a similar position as Coleman last year, and once Few loses confidence in you, you're done. I called it before the season started that Nunez would get lost in the shuffle and not play much more of a role than last year. It's looking like I was correct.

Good point.

On the other hand, we're not super deep down low. I can see a situation in the WCC where both Sabonis and Karno have 2 with 6 minutes to go in the first half. It is the WCC.

It's the garbage minute mentality that makes me wonder, b/c at the same time he's launching threes, he's also going insane underneath, rebounding, shot blocks, and getting some. I wonder if it would be different if they were real minutes. I do know that he can come out and go 4-4 on threes during garbage time and that will likely turn off Few even more b/c one thing we don't need is a 3 pt shooter during real time.

I don't like the dog house cliff that is very much there. We've seen it for years, once over, you're over. But, I've not won one NCAA game, so Few has his reasons.

sittingon50
01-25-2015, 01:16 PM
To me it's all about his body language, & right now it sucks.

I really hope he can flip the switch back.

Hoopaholic
01-25-2015, 05:13 PM

not accurate just other night inserted with 2 minutes go in first half of a rather good game and proceeded to have multiple errors