Does Gonzaga have three first rounders in the front court?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYCZAG
    Kennel Club Material
    • Oct 2008

Does Gonzaga have three first rounders in the front court?

Thoughts-Opinions?-
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I doubt it with Karnowski and Wiltjer. Sabonis has a chance with development.

I would be surprised if Wiltjer gets drafted. He is just too weak defensively, lacks athleticism, is undersized, etc. He's going to make a lot of bread in Europe, though.

Comment

• hooter73
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2008

No.

Comment

• Zag_Dad
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2013

I think we have three NBA players in our front court but wouldn't go so far as to say three first rounders. Maybe one.

Comment

• Zagger
          Banned
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
          I doubt it with Karnowski and Wiltjer. Sabonis has a chance with development.

I would be surprised if Wiltjer gets drafted. He is just too weak defensively, lacks athleticism, is undersized, etc. He's going to make a lot of bread in Europe, though.
          Another year as a Zag .... can't hurt Wiltjer's prospects nor his development. 'Course I'm driking the Koolaid but .... we'll see how March goes + next year for all 3. Some guys look good to go in high school - others take some time.

Comment

• jpwils
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

3 or 4 Players

Originally posted by Zagger View Post
            Another year as a Zag .... can't hurt Wiltjer's prospects nor his development. 'Course I'm driking the Koolaid but .... we'll see how March goes + next year for all 3. Some guys look good to go in high school - others take some time.
            Possibly so. All 3 will get a look for sure! Wiltjer knows how to play the game and is a good passer. Sabonis is raw but needs some seasoning and work on offensive moves and jump shot. Karnowski is a force but needs to work on rebounding and not getting in foul trouble.

I think it is highly likely that Sabonis will be a first round pick some day; Wiltjer will possibly be a second round pick next year after an MVP-type season; not sure on Karnowski- but he could definitely be a backup center on an NBA team some day soon. I think Pangos may make a team as well....only time will tell . I'll be rooting for them all !

Comment

• zag67
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

I think that we have 2 or 3 first rounders and all three can play in the NBA. But they might end up making more in Europe. I do think that first round drafts are probably out this year, but next year I can see maybe two and one the following year. I only can see one going this year, but not a first rounder and with more experience I think that the other two will push being first rounders in following years.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2013

All three will play in NBA. Only sabonis has a chance at a 1st rounder.
                Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

No. One lottery prospect. Two free agents.

Comment

• zagamatic
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2009

This year, no. There are a ton of quality bigs in this year's draft. Wouldn't be surprised to see both Karnowski and Wiltjer get drafted after next season. Sabonis could be a lottery pick the next year as I don't see him leaving school before a minimum of 3 years to get his degree. And I think that Edwards could very well get drafted the year after that. He's got the size, hands and touch that the NBA loves to develop. I think Sabonis is the closest to a for sure first round pick, but nothing is guaranteed (remember Harris? ). So to answer your question, I see at least 1 first round guy in our front court but 4 overall going pro. Which is pretty darn good even for Duke.

Comment

• cjm720
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Sabonis definitely.

Karno maybe.

Wiltjer doubtful.

Edwards who knows.

That said, I could see all three playing in the NBA.
                      Go Zags!!!

Comment

• zags422
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Feb 2007

Karnowski is starting to make me think he has a decent shot at a 1st round pick next year. You can't teach his size...he needs to continue to improve his agility, touch and most importantly (most lacking) the rebounding. Reminds me of a poor man's Andrew Bogut right now...he is light years ahead of last year!!

Comment

• cjm720
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                          No. One lottery prospect. Two free agents.
                          How about Edwards?
                          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2007

All three will be in the first round next year, if they keep on improving their game.
                            I really think Wiltjer has a good chance of going in the first. He can really shoot and create his own shots around the basket.
                            He needs to get stronger I agree, and work on his defense.
                            He reminds me of the great shooter Peja Stojakovic, drafted in the first round a few years ago. Peja had a fine career in the NBA and won a few
                            three point shooting contests along the way.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                              • Feb 2007

KW has an outside chance (2nd rounder) as a stretch 4.
                              Karnowski... while I think he SHOULD be there, not sure he'll get there. But the flipside is... you can't teach 7-2.
                              Sabonis... he could evolve into a lottery pick.
                              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                              X