PDA

View Full Version : Was that the single worst call in a Zag game all season?

Birddog
01-23-2015, 04:38 AM
I'm referring to the totally blown blocking call on Melson. It was like "The Director yelled "cut", then Silas the stunt double stepped in for the star and stood there for a couple of seconds before getting bowled over by the Gael". I'm probably just dwelling on it too much but that was the worst call of the season IMO.

JPtheBeasta
01-23-2015, 05:04 AM
I'm referring to the totally blown blocking call on Melson. It was like "The Director yelled "cut", then Silas the stunt double stepped in for the star and stood there for a couple of seconds before getting bowled over by the Gael". I'm probably just dwelling on it too much but that was the worst call of the season IMO.

It wasn't his night.

I think they also called an inexplicable touch foul on him way out by half court that I was blown away by.

To your point, I thought that block call was REALLY bad. I thought the non-call when Sabonis was fouled going for the rebound against Arizona in crunch time was the worst, but that is probably more for the gravity of the situation than the obviousness of the call.

strikenowhere
01-23-2015, 05:20 AM

Yeah - I have to admit that was the absolute worst call I've seen this year. If it was a game of Call of Duty I would've accused Melson of freaking camping in his spot due to how long he was there before getting hit!

mtzaga
01-23-2015, 05:22 AM
It is was a bad call for sure. The worst call was not calling a flagrant foul on the "leg whip" to Josh Perkins' face.

strikenowhere
01-23-2015, 05:27 AM
It is was a bad call for sure. The worst call was not calling a flagrant foul on the "leg whip" to Josh Perkins' face.

OH yeah - how quickly I forgot about that! :doh:

Birddog
01-23-2015, 05:48 AM
I should have made my point more clear. I meant the "worst" in terms of how obvious the call was blown not the worst in what resulted from the error. The "leg whip" is probably the worst in that regard.

Early in the game the announcers gave props to the veteran crew and then a short time later started raggin' on them for the ticky tack fouls underneath.

Once and Future Zag
01-23-2015, 06:06 AM
How soon we forget

https://vine.co/v/O1HFml3Pjnv

DixieZag
01-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Well, it's competing with the call just proceeding it when Karno went to the basket and knocked over a guy who shuffled twice (check the replay) to get in front of him. And, all this occurred one play after Karno had the two massive dunks. I called it to the people in the room right after the second dunk "watch, they'll call a ticky tack fourth right away. I didn't know it would be the next play. It was so typical WCC - have a guy jump out as the star and strap him with his fourth foul. Gotta keep them TV games close.

MTZag03
01-23-2015, 06:12 AM
How soon we forget

Yes, I was just going to reference this one. I'm sure there have been other equally stupifying calls in our favor though.

Zagsker
01-23-2015, 06:17 AM
Well, it's competing with the call just proceeding it when Karno went to the basket and knocked over a guy who shuffled twice (check the replay) to get in front of him. And, all this occurred one play after Karno had the two massive dunks. I called it to the people in the room right after the second dunk "watch, they'll call a ticky tack fourth right away. I didn't know it would be the next play. It was so typical WCC - have a guy jump out as the star and strap him with his fourth foul. Gotta keep them TV games close.

The Karnowski charge was 100% correct, the Melson play was a bad call should have been a charge as well

DixieZag
01-23-2015, 06:21 AM
The Karnowski charge was 100% correct, the Melson play was a bad call should have been a charge as well

Well, I fully disagree and many on the game thread did, too. The way I saw it is the SMC player take a 2 step shuffle to the right just as Karno released off his shooting foot

VinnyZag
01-23-2015, 06:28 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but some of you are starting to sound like a bunch of BYU fans with the constant complaining about officiating. It's unbecoming. The team is 19-1. Officiating hasn't cost the Zags a single game this year.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-23-2015, 06:36 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but some of you are starting to sound like a bunch of BYU fans with the constant complaining about officiating. It's unbecoming. The team is 19-1. Officiating hasn't cost the Zags a single game this year.

The call this thread is referring to was awful though.

strikenowhere
01-23-2015, 06:48 AM

You don't think the no-call over the back foul against Hollis-Jefferson of Arizona on Sabonis near the end of regulation didn't cost the Zags the game? That call gets made and Sabonis hits one free throw and the game is over. Of course Wiltjer could have hit the 3 too, but a proper over the back call would never have required him to be in that position in the first place.

zag67
01-23-2015, 07:09 AM
I have to agree that the Melson call was one of the worst I have seen. If we had been at SMC I would have said a home court call. But .......

gonzagafan62
01-23-2015, 07:17 AM

Arizona. The non Sabonis foul at the end.

DixieZag
01-23-2015, 07:27 AM
You don't think the no-call over the back foul against Hollis-Jefferson of Arizona on Sabonis near the end of regulation didn't cost the Zags the game? That call gets made and Sabonis hits one free throw and the game is over. Of course Wiltjer could have hit the 3 too, but a proper over the back call would never have required him to be in that position in the first place.

And it doesn't get better the more times you watch it. Gets worse. He really hammered over him.

VinnyZag
01-23-2015, 07:30 AM
GU could have beaten Arizona if the Zags had done any number of things better, from Wiltjer hitting that jumper to Bell scoring on the drive, to guarding Brandon Ashley in the second half, to guarding their point guard in OT. The Sabonis foul is what we Zag fans fixate on, but I don't believe it's why they lost.

Bouldin4Prez
01-23-2015, 09:11 AM
I hate the block/charge foul in every sense and I would hate to be a referee in those situations. With 10 pairs of feet in the key, how are you able to tell if they are set? Was the defender slightly moving? Did the offensive player duck his head? Did the defender slide underneath while the offensive player was airborne? I agree with you guys on the Melson call, should have been a charge. In regards to Karno's charge, I think the refs got it right. The defender is entitled to space as well which I think is a forgotten piece of basketball. I loved the call where Pangos picked up a charge. Anticipated the play, moved his feet to the spot, got bulled over and the refs awarded him with the correct call. 100% fundamental defense.

raise the zag
01-23-2015, 09:21 AM
honestly, the majority of calls on Karnowski's fundamental D are bunk.

webspinnre
01-23-2015, 10:14 AM
How soon we forget

Exactly. This is a hard one to top.

willandi
01-23-2015, 11:55 AM
GU could have beaten Arizona if the Zags had done any number of things better, from Wiltjer hitting that jumper to Bell scoring on the drive, to guarding Brandon Ashley in the second half, to guarding their point guard in OT. The Sabonis foul is what we Zag fans fixate on, but I don't believe it's why they lost.

Pick any game. It's tied and time is almost completely gone. A player is fouled and has 2 free throws coming. If he makes one they win...or the foul isn't called.
There are many things the Zags did and didn't do against AZ. In the final few seconds, if the foul against Domas is called, and he makes a free throw, Zags win. It wasn't called.
Of course if theZags scored 150 and held AZ to 10 they also win.

zagamatic
01-23-2015, 01:13 PM
That foul against Melson was a horrible call, but I don't know if it even makes the top 5 this month.

cjm720
01-23-2015, 01:16 PM
I haven't read the whole thread so this was probably brought up...the devastating non-call push on Sabonis at Arizona.

But the worst was the foul that lead to Perkins broken jaw. Total BS he wasn't ejected...totally did it on purpose...maybe he didn't mean to deliver such a big blow but he was trying to stop him while in the air with his leg.

Zagricultural
01-23-2015, 08:13 PM

That call isn't the only opportunity they had to win, but they certainly would've won had it been called correctly

sullyzag66
01-24-2015, 12:06 AM
This reminds me of a recent Pac-12 game called by Dave Pasch and Bill Walton. Some foul or other was called and in inimitable style:

Walton: That was one of the three worst calls in Pac-12 history.

Pasch: What were the other two, Bill?

Walton: Take your pick!

MDABE80
01-24-2015, 12:27 AM

this! Oh the very bad consequences too.

UberZagFan
01-24-2015, 09:28 AM

The great thing about message boards is you can post what you believe even when you are wrong.

kitzbuel
01-26-2015, 07:40 AM
How soon we forget

Love that one. Karno fouled Moore's elbow with his a$$.

JPtheBeasta
01-26-2015, 10:47 AM

The travel called on Sabonis in crunch time was pretty much garbage, as well. In every game since then when I have paid attention to it, the player has been allowed to bobble the ball when trying to catch a pass, allow it to hit the floor, then put the ball down later to dribble. Someone here suggested that he made a controlling dribble, and that is where the nuance is, but every time I have seen anything similar to what Sabonis did it was a "play on."

There is no guarantee that we score on that play or that Sabonis makes at least one free throw if he is fouled on the play above, so it is somewhat useless to speculate- but it's still annoying to see those opportunities slip away. There were several "What-if...?" calls in that AZ game.

NumberCruncher
01-26-2015, 11:21 AM
The travel called on Sabonis in crunch time was pretty much garbage, as well. In every game since then when I have paid attention to it, the player has been allowed to bobble the ball when trying to catch a pass, allow it to hit the floor, then put the ball down later to dribble. Someone here suggested that he made a controlling dribble, and that is where the nuance is, but every time I have seen anything similar to what Sabonis did it was a "play on."

There is no guarantee that we score on that play or that Sabonis makes at least one free throw if he is fouled on the play above, so it is somewhat useless to speculate- but it's still annoying to see those opportunities slip away. There were several "What-if...?" calls in that AZ game.

Yep. It wasn't so in the old days, but for a long time now they let the player dribble once while in the act of gaining control of a loose ball and then start the dribble after securing it. I can't remember anybody else ever being called for that in the modern era.

hondo
01-26-2015, 11:52 AM
We have seen some terrible calls this season but to have seen the worst of the worst you would have to time travel back to the 60s and 70s in the Big Sky Conference. After being hit with a series of unbelievably horrid calls and no calls at Boise St. the GU team left the court in protest back in the late 70s . Today high def slow motion TV has exposed many of these calls but back in the day our games were never televised.