PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-SMC

Section 116
01-22-2015, 09:43 PM
This is gonna be choppy as I'm using my memory (what's left of it) from the radio show on my drive home.

Michaelson said the students were spectacular from before the game started right though to the end. He said there is a reason we have the record we have in this building and the students are a big part of it.

He said during the timeouts the coaches kept telling the team to just stick with it. We knew we could get them with our depth. Sabonis had 5 points and 13 rebounds with a split and fingers taped together. (Apparently Sabonis got his fingers caught in a teammates jersey during practice this week). He really didn't think Sabonis was in any kind of pain but there was just a different feel for him with his hands on the ball.

There was a 22-2 run in the second half the pretty much put the outcome no longer in doubt. Bell had some big shots, Karnowski a couple dunks and Wiljer had the great move on the drive to the bucket for two.

Michaelson noted Bell again did a great job on one of the oppositions leading scores, in the case holding Carter well below his average. B-Mike said Bell does not get enough credit for the defensive work he does. He said he told Bell he could not recall the guy guarded by Bell came anywhere near his average which was the case again tonight.

Michaelson noted the GU defense was impressive, more so if you were to look at the numbers at the final media timeout. He said the numbers were skewed by the garbage buckets at the end. He noted the rebounding battle went to the Zags, a nice job there.

He said it was good to get McClellan in the mix, it being the first time he had any live action in quite a while. He came in with a lot of energy which was what the told him they wanted from him. He had a nice assist off a drive to the basket and they expect some good contributions from him the rest of the season.

Melson came on for a bit and he said he has been working a lot on his three point shot and when Hudson asked him about Sabonis he said, "The dude can play some basketball". Michaelson noted the Gaels only had 6 assists on 18 made baskets which is not part of the way they like to play basketball, and they were only 2-15 from three. That's about it for my recall. Go Zags!

PNW Zagfan
01-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks a lot for taking the time to recap this.

zagamatic
01-22-2015, 10:38 PM
Thanks again for the recap

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2015, 07:47 AM
Melson came on for a bit and he said he has been working a lot on his three point shot and when Hudson asked him about Sabonis he said, "The dude can play some basketball".

melson might also want to work on his free throws...yeah, i know, limited sample size...but still, he's shooting worse than karnowski...by quite a bit actually...his season % is basically what the zags shot at pepp.