PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs St. Mary's...post game thoughts

Reborn
01-22-2015, 09:34 PM
A very nice 21 point victory. I couldn't be happier. The Zags really poured it on in the second half. It was nice to see them play so well in the second half, and they did not let their foot off the pedal after they got on that run. It was a pretty typical Gonzaga win, as the scoring was spread among 4 or 5 guys. Pretty even scoring led by Pangos' 15. I didn't think Gonzaga played all that well on offense tonight. They were pretty off from behind the arc. Karno played well but was in foul trouble all night long. I thought Sabonis really played a great game off the bench getting 7 points and 13 rebounds, and in the 2nd half did a very good on defense. And Gary Bell was solid at both ends tonight. I really like watching how Gonzaga plays the game. To me it's something beautiful. The way they share the basketball, and how they show so much patience while waiting for the best shot. Those dunks by Mt Karno were nice.

Once again defense was the key for the Zags. Whoever put that defensive scheme together did a fantastic job, and the Zags executed it to perfection in the second half. They were flying all over the place. They held Brad Waldo to 14 points and only 7 rebounds, and he only got 4 points the second half. Great defense by the Zags as they double teamed him most of the time. He is a very good player though, and I enjoy watching him play. I thought they defended Carter really well, holding him to just 5 points. The ZAGS held a usually pretty good shooting St Mary's team from the 3 pt line to just 13%. Carter was a mere 1-4.

I'd love to hear from those who saw the Game to find out if it was cooking inside K2, and if the student body was crazy.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

rennis
01-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Never would have thought the final score would be that low. Poor shooting from the arc for both teams tonight. Really weird officiating. Great win, statement for the team - #1 in conference and stand alone. Boo yeah

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reborn
01-22-2015, 09:47 PM
I forgot to mention Wiltjer behind the back dribble lay-up. Beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen that kind of a move by a 6'10" player. Kyle has so many ways of scoring and really never forces shot. He's as cool as a cucumber. My one word for his is SMOOTH.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time.

former1dog
01-22-2015, 09:52 PM
I forgot to mention Wiltjer behind the back dribble lay-up. Beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen that kind of a move by a 6'10" player. Kyle has so many ways of scoring and really never forces shot. He's as cool as a cucumber. My one word for his is SMOOTH.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time.

Im also a big Wiltjer fan, BUT he has some kind of issues with early game nervousness or something. It seems he can always be counted on for an early turnover or two. After he settles down, he's fantastic.

demian
01-22-2015, 10:35 PM
I didn't get to see the game or listen on radio or anything. I was so glad when I checked on the score on my phone in second half and noticed a 20 point advantage. GREAT JOB ZAGS

A very nice 21 point victory. I couldn't be happier. The Zags really poured it on in the second half. It was nice to see them play so well in the second half, and they did not let their foot off the pedal after they got on that run. It was a pretty typical Gonzaga win, as the scoring was spread among 4 or 5 guys. Pretty even scoring led by Pangos' 15. I didn't think Gonzaga played all that well on offense tonight. They were pretty off from behind the arc. Karno played well but was in foul trouble all night long. I thought Sabonis really played a great game off the bench getting 7 points and 13 rebounds, and in the 2nd half did a very good on defense. And Gary Bell was solid at both ends tonight. I really like watching how Gonzaga plays the game. To me it's something beautiful. The way they share the basketball, and how they show so much patience while waiting for the best shot. Those dunks by Mt Karno were nice.

Once again defense was the key for the Zags. Whoever put that defensive scheme together did a fantastic job, and the Zags executed it to perfection in the second half. They were flying all over the place. They held Brad Waldo to 14 points and only 7 rebounds, and he only got 4 points the second half. Great defense by the Zags as they double teamed him most of the time. He is a very good player though, and I enjoy watching him play. I thought they defended Carter really well, holding him to just 5 points. The ZAGS held a usually pretty good shooting St Mary's team from the 3 pt line to just 13%. Carter was a mere 1-4.

I'd love to hear from those who saw the Game to find out if it was cooking inside K2, and if the student body was crazy.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

CdAZagFan
01-22-2015, 10:50 PM
Was at the game and it WAS cooking inside the Kennel! The student body was incredibly loud... I think there was a little tension that first half with the crowd, but in the second half it got crazy... Great atmosphere and great TEAM win.

A to Zags
01-23-2015, 06:49 AM
Never would have thought the final score would be that low. Poor shooting from the arc for both teams tonight. Really weird officiating. Great win, statement for the team - #1 in conference and stand alone. Boo yeah

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
My thoughts...Waldo is a good player and has improved every year. Ryan Edwards has a similar package, big body, soft hands, good passer. will be fun to watch him develop. SMC has better shooters than they showed last night but our defense deserves some credit. Dranginis doesn't look like Mike Hart but plays like him with an offensive upside. Randy Bennett gave a good handshake post game compared to games past.

Zagdawg
01-23-2015, 07:16 AM
Solid win-- St Marys had Waldow show up --but he did not have a lot of help. I think it was Bright who was quoted as saying that he was excited and could not wait to experience the Kennel2 -- I hope he enjoyed it.

There is a reason why we have only lost 8 games here since it opened -- the students/fans are great.

St Marys graduates their entire starting lineup this year-- hopefully Bennett can reload to remain competitive (and schedule some solid teams).

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2015, 07:25 AM
St Marys graduates their entire starting lineup this year-- hopefully Bennett can reload to remain competitive (and schedule some solid teams).

that big aussie landale kid looked pretty good for a freshman...looks like he'll be the next stud big for them. naar should be solid at the point despite his shooting performance and i think eventually hermanson will be alright at the 3. if the minny transfer coleman plays next year the 2 guard spot will be set...and i think 3 more aussies coming in next year to bolster the roster.

jazzdelmar
01-23-2015, 07:29 AM
that big aussie landale kid looked pretty good for a freshman...looks like he'll be the next stud big for them. naar should be solid at the point despite his shooting performance and i think eventually hermanson will be alright at the 3. if the minny transfer coleman plays next year the 2 guard spot will be set...and i think 3 more aussies coming in next year to bolster the roster.

Compared w a guard corps of Jenks, SM, Mac, KD and Alberts? And a front line of Karno, KW, Eddie and the Bonus? Just sayin. Could be better than this year's.

Zagger
01-23-2015, 07:30 AM
Was at the game and it WAS cooking inside the Kennel! The student body was incredibly loud... I think there was a little tension that first half with the crowd, but in the second half it got crazy... Great atmosphere and great TEAM win.

You could kinda/sorta see that on TV too. Neither the team nor the crowd seemed to be fully present the first half (at least from what I expected of the crowd when SMC had the ball - kinda quiet).
I was glad to see EMc in the game - and making both free throws. As a team though, 61.5% FTs at home isn't all that admirable. In close March games FTs could be a deciding factor. It was a scrappy game somewhat as both teams played pretty good D (at least in the 2nd half with the Zags). With the depth of the Zags it is VERY hard to predict who'll score well. I felt Wesley would score well against St. Mary's. Maybe next time(s)? I'm looking forward to seeing how these two teams do in Moraga (2/21 7PM). It's good to see Kevin and Gary doing well and in good health - marked change on how well they move from this time last year. Very subjective on my part I'm sure but, I feel the Zags are meshing a bit more as a team and knowing one another's current 'mood' well enough to know when to personally make a scoring initiative as opposed to sticking to a 'plan'. Same goes with how/when/who Few subs in (apart from foul caused substitutions). IMHO the mix of Zags on the floor at any given time seems to work quite well. When Eric gets more up to speed Zag play should get even more interesting. Go Zags!

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2015, 07:38 AM
Compared w a guard corps of Jenks, SM, Mac, KD and Alberts? And a front line of Karno, KW, Eddie and the Bonus? Just sayin. Could be better than this year's.

obviously not comparing to gu...and hoping no defections for gu too...if everyone comes back, ceiling will be high, but i also think there'll be many moments where we look back and realize how much we took pangos & bell for granted.

jazzdelmar
01-23-2015, 07:45 AM
obviously not comparing to gu...and hoping no defections for gu too...if everyone comes back, ceiling will be high, but i also think there'll be many moments where we look back and realize how much we took pangos & bell for granted.

not at first, but in time jenks, melson and mac will be at least equal to the departees....jenks and melson are several inches taller for starters, and mac has more floor skills than wesley at about same size. it's upfront, with tantamount to four highly skilled seven footers that could push the zags conceivably to preseason #1 in some places.

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2015, 08:04 AM
not at first, but in time jenks, melson and mac will be at least equal to the departees....jenks and melson are several inches taller for starters, and mac has more floor skills than wesley at about same size. it's upfront, with tantamount to four highly skilled seven footers that could push the zags conceivably to preseason #1 in some places.
with the potential frontcourt talent zags will have, jenks melson mac drangs better work on their spot up 3 point shooting...this is probably where pangos (and to a lesser degree bell) will be missed the most.

willandi
01-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Thought a great win by the Zags. I wish that the zebras would call the game evenly.
The replay of Waldow, to Karno's right of the basket, lowering his shoulder and TWICE hitting Karno in the chest to move him, prior to making a small hook shot, showed that the zebras were enamored of Waldow...esp in the first half.
He is a good player, better than average when facing smaller post players, but he was allowed to bully Karno and Karno was called for imaginary fouls.
Great run with 11 minutes left. Happy to get the win.

hooter73
01-23-2015, 08:27 AM
St Marys graduates their entire starting lineup this year... (and schedule some solid teams).

http://preview.images.memegenerator.net/Instance/Preview?imageID=84688&generatorTypeID=&panels=&text0=Not%20sure%20if%20serious&text1=or%20doesnt%20look%20at%20history&text2=&text3=

GolfZag
01-23-2015, 08:28 AM
Who is Jenks?

hooter73
01-23-2015, 08:32 AM
Bigs MaGee's shorter, faster cousin.

gonstu
01-23-2015, 08:32 AM

Don't hog all the kool-aid jazz - pass some over to share!

DixieZag
01-23-2015, 08:43 AM

In the words of Pulp Fiction, where they were, ahem, comparing "other things" --- that is a bold statement my friend.

Especially when considering that next year, when you're really exploring your inner curmudgeon, you'll say they are nowhere near as good as Pangos and Bell.

:)

gonzagafan62
01-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Who is Jenks?

Josh Perkins.

Anwyay, I am glad we took them back where they needed to be ... second place :)

NumberCruncher
01-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Who is Jenks?

Perkins. He acquired that nickname here on the boards this summer. Originally a typo, IIRC.

MBAGael
01-23-2015, 09:21 AM
Correct, we have three Aussies coming in next year. We also have one of the best players in Idaho coming in to, Stefan Gonzalez. But this guy may be our best player next year, he is redshirting now:

http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=101618&SPID=12536&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21400&ATCLID=209483949&Q_SEASON=2015

sittingon50
01-23-2015, 09:31 AM
Thanks MBA. Randy & his staff are good. They will be fine.

jazzdelmar
01-23-2015, 09:38 AM
In the words of Pulp Fiction, where they were, ahem, comparing "other things" --- that is a bold statement my friend.

Especially when considering that next year, when you're really exploring your inner curmudgeon, you'll say they are nowhere near as good as Pangos and Bell.

:)

More than likely. But prob compare them unfavorably to DD and BS.

Reborn
01-23-2015, 09:39 AM
I watched the game again this morning. Watching that 22-2 run in the second half was just an awesome experience. The two awesome dunks in a row by Mt Karno, followed by Wiltjers behind the back All-American move just set K2 on fire. And everyone got involved too. And the defense was like a hive of swarming bees attacking the Gaels. Waldo's last bucket came with 17 minutes left to play in the game. Now I call that great defense.

I couldn't have been any happier last night. I waited for that game all week. Well, maybe for two weeks really. Kevin Pangos really stuck out to me. His defense has really been improving this year. And Saboinis' play with that injured finger on his right hand was inspirational. Beating the Gael's by 21 points, imo solidifies Gonzaga's #3 ranking in the polls. I think they are standing tall, and solid as a top 4 team right. They must now really try to stay focused and to concentrate even more on one game at a time. They need to convince themselves that they can be beaten any night that they don't show up to play with 100% effort. I've said it before though, this team CAN do it. They have the senior leadership, and experience to do it. These guys are really special. So let's continue to enjoy them. It's been a real nice ride so far, and the fun is just beginning to go up another notch.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

bballbeachbum
01-23-2015, 10:43 AM
agree with everyone, just a great team win. contributions across the board, the kind of team play that gives them all confidence to take away and move forward

wow the D was good and Zag depth is like an anvil to the head of WCC opponents

abarefootboy
01-23-2015, 11:27 AM
sitting across from the students i was mesmermized ~ the kids were simply

VOLCANIC !

they flowed molten .. writhing bodys so fluid your eyes couldn't hold them ... couldn't rest upon any section comfortably ... i mean .. the sweating heat and thrash of passion .. all those young bodies !

jeeesh .. made me feel 60 again

sittingon50
01-23-2015, 12:05 PM
:roll:

hondo
01-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Was at the MAC last night but forgot to record the game and now I want to see it again. How long does it usually take for the game to show up on Youtube or somewhere else?

ZagNative
01-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Was at the MAC last night but forgot to record the game and now I want to see it again. How long does it usually take for the game to show up on Youtube or somewhere else?It's available online as a replay on ESPN3: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/replay/

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-23-2015, 02:06 PM
I watched the game again this morning. Watching that 22-2 run in the second half was just an awesome experience. The two awesome dunks in a row by Mt Karno, followed by Wiltjers behind the back All-American move just set K2 on fire. And everyone got involved too. And the defense was like a hive of swarming bees attacking the Gaels. Waldo's last bucket came with 17 minutes left to play in the game. Now I call that great defense.

I couldn't have been any happier last night. I waited for that game all week. Well, maybe for two weeks really. Kevin Pangos really stuck out to me. His defense has really been improving this year. And Saboinis' play with that injured finger on his right hand was inspirational. Beating the Gael's by 21 points, imo solidifies Gonzaga's #3 ranking in the polls. I think they are standing tall, and solid as a top 4 team right. They must now really try to stay focused and to concentrate even more on one game at a time. They need to convince themselves that they can be beaten any night that they don't show up to play with 100% effort. I've said it before though, this team CAN do it. They have the senior leadership, and experience to do it. These guys are really special. So let's continue to enjoy them. It's been a real nice ride so far, and the fun is just beginning to go up another notch.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Love your posts Reborn and agree with you 100% on the above.

Zagger
01-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!
Yep! Let's de-stripe those Tigers! Beat Pacific!
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/beatpacific.png