PDA

View Full Version : Impressions from SMC game

DixieZag
01-22-2015, 09:28 PM
I thought we played good D throughout. Really good in the second half.

Our scoring distribution really makes a statement about us. No one over 14, Wesley has only 2, still everyone contributed.

Their guards are not good but they will not miss all those shots in Moraga. But, I think we'll shoot better there than we did in the first half.

Wiltjer and Karno should compete for Sports Center Top 10

Marcus
01-22-2015, 09:34 PM
D was great. Domas really started to figure out Waldo and man what a motor. It seemed like in the blink of an eye it was a blowout. It's nice that they can still sustain leads when their shots don't fall.

Zagricultural
01-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Waldo couldn't move Karno at all. Loved seeing Shem finally able to guard a "Big".

Typically awful WCC Officiating.

Liked Melson's play albeit in limited minutes.

MDABE80
01-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Domas looks a lot more experienced than he was at the first part of the season. He's really tough underneath. Quick. Some very nice moves but tonight he was just tough underneath. Best frosh big I've seen around here in quite a qhile. ELias was a great frosh but Domas is bringing something different. His Euro experience and his genes are showing up. Doesn't seem as rattled.

Zagdawg
01-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Sabonis looked to be frustrating waldow on the defensive end --then waldow got pulled.

GrizZAG
01-22-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm trying to figure out how Waldow gets away with dropping his shoulder and keeps banging a stationary Karnowski in the chest pushing him back all night without getting a charge yet Mt. K lifts his arms and the whistle blows. Our bigs foul situation early made me nervous.

PNW Zagfan
01-22-2015, 09:47 PM
Back to back dunks by Karnowski were great!

seacatfan
01-22-2015, 09:54 PM
Back to back dunks by Karnowski were great!

Ditto! Showed good explosiveness on those. Throw it down big man!

PNW Zagfan
01-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Am pretty sure that one of the announcers was President of the Brad Waldo Fan Club.

caduceus
01-22-2015, 10:04 PM
Zags solidified their #3 spot on Kenpom. They are #4 on offensive efficiency (just 0.1 behind #1 Virginia), and jumped 16 spots in defensive efficiency to #27.

We are 19-1, and a bucket away from undefeated. Couldn't be happier where we are positioned right now.

FuManShoes
01-22-2015, 10:12 PM
The mickey mouse officiating in this league makes many of these games intolerable. Let them play! I love the Zags and watch because I'm addicted but if I was a casual fan I'd turn the channel. So many tricky tack calls, missed calls, inconsistent calls. Melson spends a couple seconds camped out as a Gael charges on in: blocking foul. Perfect. And don't get me started on the big man fouls/non calls that make no sense and screwed both sides.

seacatfan
01-22-2015, 10:21 PM
The mickey mouse officiating in this league makes many of these games intolerable. Let them play! I love the Zags and watch because I'm addicted but if I was a casual fan I'd turn the channel. So many tricky tack calls, missed calls, inconsistent calls. Melson spends a couple seconds camped out as a Gael charges on in: blocking foul. Perfect. And don't get me started on the big man fouls/non calls that make no sense and screwed both sides.

There was a recent thread about referees and sharing them with the Pac 12 and Mountain West and where the WCC falls in the pecking order. Having watched the Arizona-Stanford game right before GU's game, I can honestly tell you the officiating in Pac 12 games is every bit as bad as in WCC games.

You are correct about that block that got called against Melson. He was waiting all day for the offensive player, never flinched, there's no way in hell that wasn't a charge. Immediately prior to that Karno got called for a charge when the defender was still sliding the whole time.

RenoZag
01-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Zags solidified their #3 spot on Kenpom. They are #4 on offensive efficiency (just 0.1 behind #1 Virginia), and jumped 16 spots in defensive efficiency to #27.

We are 19-1, and a bucket away from undefeated. Couldn't be happier where we are positioned right now.

Indeed

seasontixholder
01-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Perfect type of game this team needed -- the (substandard) refs let a lot of pounding go on, and the team eventually figured it out. This will pay dividends in the tourney, especially if there a few more just like it.

St. Mary's guys just got worn down physically. Waldo's percentage tailed off because of rassling with big guys earlier. And the frontline guards had too many quality players making them work every possession.

CdAZagFan
01-22-2015, 11:10 PM

Amen!

MickMick
01-22-2015, 11:54 PM
First half was really sloppy for both sides.

Waldow isn't a bad player.

GU turned up the heat in the second half.

Birddog
01-23-2015, 04:21 AM
Waldo was held well below his season averages for points and rebounds. Gaels as a team were held well below their rebounding margin and assists average and were held to their lowest point production of the season (tie). All is good.

JPtheBeasta
01-23-2015, 05:05 AM
D was great. Domas really started to figure out Waldo and man what a motor. It seemed like in the blink of an eye it was a blowout. It's nice that they can still sustain leads when their shots don't fall.

He'll be a double-double machine next year :]

JPtheBeasta
01-23-2015, 05:10 AM
I've only watched SMC in this and the BYU game, and they just don't have the inside-out threat they used to have. Bright just can't make defenses pay for doubling off of him. He didn't really facilitate much on the offensive end with the ball in his hands, either. I'd be tempted to put a better shooter out there.

It made me realize, though, just how stacked we are on this team right now. I believe SMC would be happy to start for their team 2-3 of our players we have on our bench over their starters.

zagfan24
01-23-2015, 05:11 AM
I was just really impressed with the defense Sabonis played on Waldow. I knew Karnowski could keep him in check, but when he went out the Zags didn't miss a beat. Domas is one tough kid and plays with a lot of fire.

Eric McClellan is going to be a huge addition. Good handles, aggressive defense, and looks to pass....all you could want from a backup pg.

It's funny just how much Dranginis does that won't show up in a box score. This is such an unselfish team, and Kyle exemplifies putting team before individual accolades.

Silas is improving slowly but surely. He's going to be a gem down the road.

Gary looking more aggressive is a good sign too. He's got a great shot, but I also think it's nice to see him go to the bucket once in a while.

Zags11
01-23-2015, 05:47 AM
Solid d all around. It seemed the gaels slowed the game up and it didnt bother us 1 bit. Our season has been wonderful and it will get better come march too.

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2015, 06:14 AM
defense finally showed up for 40 minutes, but can't help but wonder how much of it was zag d and how much of it was just smc unable to throw it in the ocean from deep??? bright hit 6 threes against lmu only a couple weeks ago, so it's not like he's totally incapable...if gaels can hit some threes at home they'll give the zags a game.

DixieZag
01-23-2015, 06:18 AM
If SMC's guards shot anything like semi-normal on those wide open 3s in the first half, they would have been up 4 at half.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-23-2015, 06:47 AM
If SMC's guards shot anything like semi-normal on those wide open 3s in the first half, they would have been up 4 at half.

It's not like we were lights out either. They were 1-9 and we were 2-8. So yeah, if both teams shot semi normal from 3, we would have been up by 3 at half instead of 6. They couldn't shoot it on the road because they aren't that great of a team. They are tough at home, but I'm sure we will beat them by double digits there too.

DixieZag
01-23-2015, 07:33 AM
It's not like we were lights out either. They were 1-9 and we were 2-8. So yeah, if both teams shot semi normal from 3, we would have been up by 3 at half instead of 6. They couldn't shoot it on the road because they aren't that great of a team. They are tough at home, but I'm sure we will beat them by double digits there too.

Good point. And, I can't help but think we'll shoot a little better in the first half up there, too.

pablo1516
01-23-2015, 07:46 AM
First half was really sloppy for both sides.

Waldow isn't a bad player.

GU turned up the heat in the second half.

MickMick,

You really nailed painting a 'zen' like portrait of this game. As you often are, clear and to the point with equanimity.

Kudos for your insight.
:clap

Zagger
01-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Really nice to see great Zag D in the 2nd half. It's darn hard ad to say much negative about a team that has only one loss - and in an overtime away game. The Zags are sure exciting to watch!

CDC84
01-23-2015, 10:37 AM
I realize that this is non-Zag related, but how is Brad Waldow not on the Wooden Award list?? He's the only guy in D-1 ball who is averaging more that 20 PPG and more than 10 RPG. And he plays for a winning team.

Zagceo
01-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Domas is intense . his focus and game face. I love his energy! His off court demeanor seems the complete opposite . relaxed and very comfortable. Keep reminding myself he's 18.

I've noticed Pangos getting caught running hard into screens ..my guess is noise can't hear teammates calling screens. I cringed once last night when I think it was Waldow he bounced off.

bballbeachbum
01-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Bennett went after Karno all game, really tried to get him his 3rd foul to start the 2nd half, did some other things in there too I thought. But Karno did not oblige and so was available to make his 2nd half plays. really shows his maturation imo; seemed like he knew what was happening and didn't let it actually happen. played good D on Waldow during those few minutes too. Domas' best game probably, like we all saw and have stated today; still gets called for fouls in the post for lowering his hands instead of going straight up but it's a learnable thing, b ut his toughness and intensity are awesome off the bench. KD was a real difference maker too, as much as anyone imo. Just a total team win

Mantua
01-23-2015, 11:05 AM
A bright moment from last night was Jenks greeting his teammates with a huge toothy smile.

LongIslandZagFan
01-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Two things:

Waldow should be on the Wooden list... if you average a double double and are in the #7 conference in D1 it borders on inexcusable.

Kerry Carter hitting the ball out of bounds and begging for the non-existent tip by the Zags got to be annoying.

bballbeachbum
01-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Gary looking more aggressive is a good sign too. He's got a great shot, but I also think it's nice to see him go to the bucket once in a while.

hey zagfan24, it's great seeing him go to the hoop, not only drive it in there which he's done before, but also attack the rim once he gets there and take the physical pounding. attacking the rim and exploding to it he hasn't done that throughout his career imo until quite recently, and specifically, it's great to see that more aggressive approach from him. he looks healthy, knock on wood

but I kind of disagree too. seems to me Gary's been pretty aggressive all year looking for his shot and looking to impose his will (and before this year), would even go so far as to say some O issues for him have come from being over aggressive. maybe I'm off target but that's what I've seen, what do you think? even last night he started with a turnover doing just that, being too aggressive, but ended up having a strong game on both ends of the floor

anyway, his D is well noted and again last night, but before the run that broke it open in the 2nd half he made a series of plays on O to keep the lead at 2-3 possessions including that step back jumper after missing an open 3 just before. have always appreciated how he seems to step up his game in the 2nd half. he, like all of them, is such a nice fit to this team's needs

VinnyZag
01-23-2015, 11:26 AM
A slightly off-topic observation: St. Mary's is at risk of falling off a proverbial cliff next year. All five starters are seniors, and other than that Naar kid they don't seem to have much on their bench.

DixieZag
01-23-2015, 11:35 AM
I had the same thought. They'd be in enough trouble losing Waldow alone. If any Gaels are still hanging out, let us know what you've got coming.

Zagdawg
01-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Three signed to NLI -- plus Coleman transfer from Minnesota.

http://www.smcgaels.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21400&ATCLID=209771744

Coleman
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/57113/joe-coleman

RenoZag
01-23-2015, 11:56 AM
I realize that this is non-Zag related, but how is Brad Waldow not on the Wooden Award list?? He's the only guy in D-1 ball who is averaging more that 20 PPG and more than 10 RPG. And he plays for a winning team.

One of the broadcasters last night made the same observation

maynard g krebs
01-23-2015, 05:13 PM
I wonder if Bright's shoulder injury is permanent and is affecting his shot. He used to have a nice looking jumper, going back to his days at Bellevue and the beginning of his Stanford career (MVP of NIT), and an effective one. Now it looks like he can't raise his upper arm above the shoulder, and he kind of slingshots the ball and it looks ugly.

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Two things:

Waldow should be on the Wooden list... if you average a double double and are in the #7 conference in D1 it borders on inexcusable.

blame randy b. and his scheduling philosophy...wonder how many times smc has been on tv this year???

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2015, 05:29 PM
A slightly off-topic observation: St. Mary's is at risk of falling off a proverbial cliff next year. All five starters are seniors, and other than that Naar kid they don't seem to have much on their bench.

check out the post-game thread for more on this topic...come to think of it, the two threads are kind of redundant.

seacatfan
01-23-2015, 05:42 PM
I wonder if Bright's shoulder injury is permanent and is affecting his shot. He used to have a nice looking jumper, going back to his days at Bellevue and the beginning of his Stanford career (MVP of NIT), and an effective one. Now it looks like he can't raise his upper arm above the shoulder, and he kind of slingshots the ball and it looks ugly.

Yeah, I noticed he and one other St. Mary's player (can't remember which) had a serious hitch in their shot and truly ugly form when they were chucking 3 pointers, none of which were going in.

DixieZag
01-23-2015, 05:54 PM
check out the post-game thread for more on this topic...come to think of it, the two threads are kind of redundant.

I started mine about 7 minutes before Reborn. So, it was in no way planned. They could easily be consolidated.