DixieZag
01-22-2015, 10:21 PM
Fast.

Knows what he's doing.

Not afraid.

Comfortable.

jazzdelmar
01-22-2015, 10:23 PM
Would like to see him handle end of first half drama with KP off the ball.

Mantua
01-22-2015, 10:25 PM
Fast.

Knows what he's doing.

Not afraid.

Comfortable.

Agree! I was very happy to see his first Zag points and the great assist to Nuņez.

Marcus
01-22-2015, 10:26 PM

Oh man, please yes. Put your best shooter off screens and give the ultra fast slasher pg the ball to drive or kick.

Marcus
01-22-2015, 10:28 PM
He looked comfortable. He will be great on D, looked really quick. I hope we get to see him a bit more next game although totally understandable why he was limited tonight.

former1dog
01-22-2015, 10:29 PM
I am cautiously optimistic that he's going to be able to spell Pangos and won't turn the ball over. 7 to 8 minutes a game with an honest to goodness point guard off the bench who can play defense will improve our team.

MDABE80
01-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Smooth, experienced, large kid. He'll help a lot in the stretch and surely next year. Seems at ease with the game.

Zag365
01-22-2015, 10:35 PM
very fluid, like BW but with a better dribble drive

cjm720
01-22-2015, 10:37 PM
FAst and strong. Very in your face defender

Zagdawg
01-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Confident ---looked solid--great to add his experience.

caduceus
01-22-2015, 10:52 PM
The guy can leap. He had one play where he drove under the basket. Didn't score, but he got some serious elevation from my view.
He looked just a tad slow reacting on defense, which I'm sure is from not playing for a while.
Looking forward to more minutes from him.

gonzagafan62
01-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Not alto to go on.... Fast though

zag buddy
01-22-2015, 10:59 PM
I was truly impressed. He seems to have a sense of place whether in the air or turning around. Very well may be one of our best players. unbelievable addition at this time.

zagamatic
01-22-2015, 11:05 PM
While I'm tempted to say that his athleticism reminds me of an Erroll Knight, it's too small of a sample size. Seems to have good handles. Excited to see what he can do down the road. Just hope that he doesn't push too hard.

PNW Zagfan
01-22-2015, 11:08 PM
Great to finally see him out there. Can't wait to see more of him Saturday.

mtzaga
01-23-2015, 07:53 AM
Fast and confident have already been used but I agree. He looks taller than his listed height of 6'3". I expect he will play more minutes on Saturday.

northsidezagfan
01-23-2015, 08:02 AM
Fast. When he was running the clock out at the end of the second half he had a great burst right around his defender. Nice preview of things to come.

Zagdawg
01-23-2015, 08:21 AM
I believe it was Carter that he drove by -- and Carter is not a slow guy-- he just made him look slow.

Kiddwell
01-23-2015, 08:30 AM
Not a big enough sample size to know, but Eric did seem fast. Just happy he's finally out there. Now, if Josh Perkins' jaw can be OK'd for play, we'd have a couple bench guys who can earn some valuable game experience ahead of Vegas and Seattle/Portland. :boxing:

:]

basketballzag
01-23-2015, 08:31 AM
I believe it was Carter that he drove by -- and Carter is not a slow guy-- he just made him look slow.

Fast feet and even quicker hands. He is going to grab a number of steals this year.

Zagger
01-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Ditto on the aboves .... his expression though looked as if he'd dined on lemons and limes. Must have been the concentration going on. He did very well for his first appearance as a Zag - didn't look at all lost out there and he was impressive in close D. The depth of this team will reap benefits in March!

roxdoc
01-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Ha. I too was thinking that he didn't look very happy. But of course how would one look who for the first time had just been thrust in as floor general for the No. 3 team in the nation!!

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Ditto on the aboves .... his expression though looked as if he'd dined on lemons and limes. Must have been the concentration going on.

well, he does have the reputation of playing with an edge so maybe that has something to do with it...of course, some zag fans apparently labeled carter of smc as a "thug" for having a similar disposition =) :boxing:

zagfan24
01-23-2015, 09:05 AM
He seems disruptive on defense...certainly plays with a ton of "in your face" intensity. Good ball handler too, as he gets more comfortable will be a great backup to KP. Even this late in the season, I think his addition will be huge.

Robzagnut
01-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Too short of a sample size to make a judgment. At least he can knock down free throws.

77Zag
01-23-2015, 10:07 AM
L E N G T H

cjm720
01-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Added: Thick neck...looks like a linebacker.

CDC84
01-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Honestly, it's going to be about three or four weeks until we can get a proper evaluation of McClellan. He hasn't played in ages, he needs to get into game shape, and this is an entirely new offense for him.

JPtheBeasta
01-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Because of his length, athleticism, and aptitude for finding people off the drive-and-kick, I wouldn't mind seeing Dranginis have a go at that.

JPtheBeasta
01-23-2015, 12:10 PM
He seems disruptive on defense...certainly plays with a ton of "in your face" intensity. Good ball handler too, as he gets more comfortable will be a great backup to KP. Even this late in the season, I think his addition will be huge.

Given this, do you expect Perkins to return this year?

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
01-23-2015, 12:13 PM
L E N G T H

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Which will translate into exactly what we need on the defensive end to close out on shooters in the tournament if utilized correctly (a la WSU). Melson was also lock down on D for the most part yesterday. Both these guys are tough and play with an edge. Melson and EM could be the difference makers going forward for Gonzaga to reach the Final4 and beyond. LENGTH is the first thing you notice...:)

abarefootboy
01-23-2015, 12:15 PM
i was sitting above the bench , kept an eye on him when i could ... watching his first few moments out on the floor i could see he's quicksilver fast .. like his body moves as fast as the speed of thought .. the flowing mindstream of a fox .. with extraordinary ' prescience ' .. as though he knows the future before it happens .. his physical stature is that of a long slender blade .. his mind the needle like point .. a stiletto waiting to slash !

truly .. his presence is going to change how we manifest to the opposing team ... like a mirage

zagfan24
01-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Given this, do you expect Perkins to return this year?

So many variables at play there...whether he could get a medical RS, how he is healing, and most importantly what he wants to do.

I will say that I was comforted by the limited amount I saw that he has the necessary skills to be a PG. I think that makes Perkins returning less imperative...but Josh is a great player who I would be more than happy to have back with the Zags as well if and when he is ready.

zag67
01-23-2015, 12:48 PM
I agree with many of the above comments. I like his movement and he looks like he is comfortable with the ball. The drive and kick should be fun to watch as the year goes on. Either for a three point shot or to one of the bigs for a short range hook or dunk. I am looking forward to watching his defense. He looks fast and should give GB some rest against top teams.

jpwils
01-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Seeing him 10-15 minutes per game in next few weeks will be fun! He is a true combo guard who can spell Bell or Pangos and make Pangos more effective with penetration. Not sure if he could spell Wesley as well?? Dranginis is solid,though.

rawkmandale
01-23-2015, 05:20 PM

My biggest impression was also related to his defense - right in the opponent's grill. He may be just the guy we need to replace Bell Jr. next year. And yes, he could be very helpful this year as a backup - likely more for Bell Jr. than for Pangos. We'll see if he can run the offense - too soon to tell.

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2015, 05:41 PM
My biggest impression was also related to his defense - right in the opponent's grill. He may be just the guy we need to replace Bell Jr. next year. And yes, he could be very helpful this year as a backup - likely more for Bell Jr. than for Pangos. We'll see if he can run the offense - too soon to tell.

based on what i've heard, mac's defense while a different style (more pressure, better on ball, not quite as good off) is at least on par with bell and a step up from melson (who's still developing that part of his game but has improved a lot already).

jazzdelmar
01-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Because of his length, athleticism, and aptitude for finding people off the drive-and-kick, I wouldn't mind seeing Dranginis have a go at that.

One problem, he can't dribble.

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2015, 06:04 PM

yup...he's fine catching and 2-dribble slashing to the hoop, but he's a turnover waiting to happen when he leads the break.

RenoZag
01-23-2015, 06:33 PM
i was sitting above the bench , kept an eye on him when i could ... watching his first few moments out on the floor i could see he's quicksilver fast .. like his body moves as fast as the speed of thought .. the flowing mindstream of a fox .. with extraordinary ' prescience ' .. as though he knows the future before it happens .. his physical stature is that of a long slender blade .. his mind the needle like point .. a stiletto waiting to slash !

truly .. his presence is going to change how we manifest to the opposing team ... like a mirage

Clever. You could be a scout for the Jedi farm team.

Too small a sample size. Maybe he gets some meaningful minutes against UOP on Saturday. I want to see if what barefootboy saw is reality or just a bunch of poetic license. . .

Beat the Tigers !

maynard g krebs
01-23-2015, 07:23 PM

"Bozo is the Brotherhood of Zips and others. Bozos are people who bond together for fun and profit. They have no jobs. Anybody who goes on a tour is a Bozo. Why does a Bozo cross the street? Because there's a Bozo on the other side. It comes from the phrase vos otros, meaning others. They're the huge, fat, middle waist. The archetype is an Irish drunk clown with red hair and nose, and pale skin. Fields, William Bendix. Everybody tends to drift toward Bozoness. It has Oz in it. They mean well. They're straight-looking except they've got inflatable shoes. They like their comforts. The Bozos have learned to enjoy their free time, which is all the time."

---Firesign Theatre, "If Bees Lived Inside Your Head".

Here's another, from the Top Secret Government Training Film:

Gentlemen, I have something awesome to reveal to you.

Go ahead, sir.

Two flying saucers just landed on my plate.

You mean the eggs, sir?

Let's just call them the phenomena.

Well, sir, I think you've got your phenomena scrambled.

Sir, uh, pass the syrup, general?

That's a good idea, Chuck, but syrup won't stop them. Next?

Uh, pardon me, sir, but are you nuts?

That's just what they want you to think.

zag67
01-23-2015, 07:56 PM
I think that he will allow Pangos to rest and the offense will still move. Turnovers have not been the problem, but ball and team movement has been. I think that he can play with Bell and Melson and make our offense flow. You can do so much mix and match depending on defense, attacking the basket, 3 point shooters or combinations. You could put him, bell, and Wesley together and they could attack and kick to the big guys. I cannot wait to see all of this happen.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-23-2015, 11:21 PM
Very swaggy.....'Swaggy E'

Love his confidence, quickness and attitude. As Coach Few said himself, this team has great depth "...with Domas coming in for Karno, Silas for Gary, Dranginis for Wesley, and McClellan for Pangos."

Once Swaggy E gets into game shape, this team is 9 deep and I love the above rotation. If Josh can come back by early February and regain his form in time for WCC tourney that's icing on the cake...but his fractured jaw is a high major injury so above all I hope he gets 100% healthy for next year.

MickMick
01-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Sample size too small and at a time that wasn't all that intense.

I want to see his handles at crunch time when the referees are allowing the opponent to get a little slap happy. Who knows if Few will ever put him in that position but it is the only way I can credibly pass judgment.

bballbeachbum
01-24-2015, 09:28 AM
want to see more. agree with Mick Mick. we were talking about just that on the game thread Thursday night

basketballzag
01-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Looking forward to see a little Nunez/McClellan action again tonight. Those have been playing together a lot in practice all year I suspect. One thing that NO ONE pointed out when the "MC C" scored his first point was Karno jumping up and giving him a standing ovation with a huge smile on his face like a proud father watching his kid score his first goal. Really awesome to see that level of gel in a team.

Also no one has pointed this out yet but Gonzaga's 53% shooting this year is the highest in CBB since 1991!

seacatfan
01-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Got some extended minutes in the 1st half tonight w/ Pangos picking up 2 fouls. Looks like he has a nice overall feel for the game. Explosive and quick on the drive, definitely adds a different element for the Zags this year. Imagine he'll get better as he works into game shape. Looks like he can be a nice contributor.

zagamatic
01-24-2015, 06:14 PM
I realize that it's still a very small sample size, and so far I'm impressed with Eric. His on ball defense is very good IMO for the circumstances, but it seems to me like he's been a little lost a couple of times with his off the ball defense. Is it just me or did anyone else think the same thing? I'm not panicking by any means and he's likely to improve in this area as he gets more time on the floor. Just might limit his meaningful minutes if in fact it is a problem.

JPtheBeasta
01-24-2015, 06:35 PM

Minor detail ;]

01-24-2015, 07:11 PM

YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Love it!

seacatfan
01-24-2015, 07:25 PM
He's gotta finish better, plenty of opportunities near the rim that came up empty. Hopefully that's some rust that will come off as he gets up to game speed. I am happy that he doesn't appear turnover prone. With all the weapons GU has they don't need him to be a big scorer, but if he can be a reliable backup PG to give Pangos some rest without the offense grinding to a halt, that will be huge.

01-24-2015, 07:41 PM
He's gotta finish better, plenty of opportunities near the rim that came up empty. Hopefully that's some rust that will come off as he gets up to game speed. I am happy that he doesn't appear turnover prone. With all the weapons GU has they don't need him to be a big scorer, but if he can be a reliable backup PG to give Pangos some rest without the offense grinding to a halt, that will be huge.

We need length to cover the perimeter based on match-ups when March Madness rolls around. EM provides that piece to the puzzle that in my opinion could very well have been lacking.

DixieZag
01-24-2015, 07:45 PM
We need length to cover the perimeter based on match-ups when March Madness rolls around. EM provides that piece to the puzzle that in my opinion could very well have been lacking.

Right on.

Even if he never scores a point, we don't need him to score a point. We got lots of guys who score points. What we don't have is a guy who can guard the fast 6'4 point guard that you see deep in the tourney. If he can do that and play the point without turning it over, perfect.

bartruff1
01-24-2015, 07:52 PM
too soon

Mantua
01-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Definitely Jedi material.

dadair
01-24-2015, 11:46 PM
Got to watch him in person for the first time tonight and really liked what I saw. He looked comfortable and seemed to integrate well into the offensive flow, as well as playing smart, efficient defense. Great court awareness, I thought, and he always seemed play within himself. Lots of confidence but happy to play within the system. Really glad he's onboard.