PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game: St. Mary's - 1.22.15

RenoZag
01-22-2015, 08:58 PM
8 - 0 in WCC play, sole possession of 1st place. Zags were a little ragged at times but they played hellacious defense.

Who earned your vote as the player of tonight's game ??

FINAL STATS (http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=68834&a=1)

VinnyZag
01-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Pangos ... 14 points, 5 assists, 1 turnover. His passing was critical in the decisive run (assists to Melson, Wiltjer, Karnowski x 2).

strikenowhere
01-22-2015, 09:03 PM
I went a little unorthodox and went with Dranginis...his defense woke this team up in the 2nd half

23dpg
01-22-2015, 09:04 PM
Impossible task tonight. But I went with Domas. 14 rebounds off the bench.

CDC84
01-22-2015, 09:08 PM
I am going with Sabonis. He hurt his finger the other day in practice. That is one ugly wrap he has on his hand.

Ballguy
Impossible task tonight. But I went with Domas. 14 rebounds off the bench.

I agree, played great even with a bum finger.

john montana
Domas. He really fought for the 3/4 front position on waldow (nod to kW for closing off the angles and showing help) and he owned the glass. Huge presence in there, especially after pk's 4th.

Birddog
I had Bell in the lead for awhile, then Pangos as Bell cooled off. Karno took the lead with the twin dunks and I finally decided SABONIS. Dranginis had another excellent game playing in the shadows and disrupting SMC with his "D"

DixieZag
01-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Sabonis.

Efficient offensively, 13 rebounds(!)

Hat tip to Karno - 2 plays that really kick started us in the run. Kick started us so well that the refs had to get him out of the game next time down.

TacomaZAG
01-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Got to go with Domas tonight, great energy off the bench and stepped in to cover Waldo when Shem got in foul trouble.

On another note, how is SMC 7-1 in WCC play??? Except for Waldo, they are a team of retreads and misfits. When Simmons (UW retread) is in the game with Waldo, it is an automatic double team every time Waldo touches the ball, as Simmons has absolutely no ability to score. Also, it seems that SMC can't throw it in the ocean from 3, even when wide open. They are turrible...................

Maybe it was just our great defense!??!!

Go ZAGS

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Didn't vote...here's why. I've come to this conclusion: what makes this team great is that eventually, every game, without fail, we're going to put together a string of 7/8 from the field or something like that. If the other team can answer, they can stay in the game. If they can't, they don't. (And spoiler: most teams can't). At least that's how it's played out so far in the WCC.

My vote: our shooting depth

ZagLawGrad
01-22-2015, 09:12 PM
A bit off the beaten path, but voting KD. Came in with energy and it worked.

dan71w
01-22-2015, 09:12 PM
i can only say it was a team win. they all did there part.
though we did allow to many open looks from 3. still we stepped that D up enough to shut them out.

DADoZAG
01-22-2015, 09:14 PM
PK

Best 5 in the WCC.

Go ZAGS!

former1dog
01-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Pangos was the best player on the court tonight.

zagamatic
01-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Seeing as how rebounding is always key against St Marie's I went with Sabonis. That kind of effort with a bum hand is impressive. Plus his defense is improving. Serious nod to Pangos and Karnowski as well. I believe that's the first time I've seen back to back dunks by the big fella. Also, I think that it's important to note that Wiltjer and Wesley didn't push too hard tonight, but simply took what was given to them.

jpn17
01-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Lots of good performances tonight. I'll go with Sabonis, but shout out to the entire team for playing great D for 40 minutes.

seacatfan
01-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Got to go with Domas tonight, great energy off the bench and stepped in to cover Waldo when Shem got in foul trouble.

On another note, how is SMC 7-1 in WCC play??? Except for Waldo, they are a team of retreads and misfits. When Simmons (UW retread) is in the game with Waldo, it is an automatic double team every time Waldo touches the ball, as Simmons has absolutely no ability to score. Also, it seems that SMC can't throw it in the ocean from 3, even when wide open. They are turrible...................

Maybe it was just our great defense!??!!

Go ZAGS

I was really unimpressed with St. Mary's as well. Zags really only played well for about 10 minutes and completely blew them out. Waldow started well but then disappeared. Nobody else did much for the Gaels. I expect they are going to lose some more conference games.

kitzbuel
01-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Going with KP for getting the team involved in the second half. The weight of GU's depth flat out caused an SMC collapse.

Marcus
01-22-2015, 09:18 PM
This was a tough vote tonight. Kevin started to pick them apart with his passing, hit some shots in 2nd half. Bell came alive for a few timely buckets. Dranginis energy was a real plus, picked up the sole teams effort. Karnowski and his dunks. I voted Sabonis in the end, he wasn't going to be denied on the glass tonight.

Great job on the team D tonight too. It really bailed them out of a crap start on offense.

MTZag03
01-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Domas. His stat line was ridiculous. The kid has got a motor on him and just plays hard.

Mantua
01-22-2015, 09:21 PM
It was a great team win. I was glad to see the improvement in rotating over on defense, but the good news is that there's still room for more improvement. During the first half I was wondering if this team was actually getting better.

Sabonis received my vote tonight for sheer toughness when he had to play all those minutes with an injured hand and got more rebounds than ever before.

RenoZag
01-22-2015, 09:21 PM
So how bad is Sabonis' hand injury ?

former1dog
01-22-2015, 09:23 PM
So how bad is Sabonis' hand injury ?

must be awful, he clearly should of had 20 and 20 :cheers:

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Sabonis - for not losing his composure after picking up the early phantom fouls and for not getting frustrated with Waldow's physical play. He is learning to adjust to the way that college officials call fouls and turnovers.

He is maturing very quickly.

RenoZag
01-22-2015, 09:25 PM
He was tugging at it constantly

CDC84
01-22-2015, 09:26 PM
Gary Bell was fantastic on defense tonight. Held Carter to 5 points on 2-6 shooting. That was huge because Carter shoots 41% from three and is SMC's second leading scorer at 12.9 PPG.

Aaron Bright was just terrible tonight.

former1dog
01-22-2015, 09:30 PM
He was tugging at it constantly

It looked like a gargantuan/awkward tape job.

Reborn
01-22-2015, 09:43 PM
I went with Kyle Wiltjer because I love his game. The behind the back dribble lay-up (finger roll) was perhaps one of the better moves I have seen a 6'10 player make. Should be #1 on ESPN to me. Surprised no one else noticed it.

Sabonis did have a very good game, but to me was not the POG. Pangos or Wiltjer. I would have voted for Kevin if not for Wiltjer's great play.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

NotoriousZ
01-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Went with Pangos, the floor general.
Loved the team defense tonight, Dranginis and Bell were excellent.
Karnowski and Sabonis kept Waldo below his averages, and SMC can't beat us with their other guys this year.

I hope the refs let them play a little more when we're in Morgana, the ticky-tac calls on Shem were disappointing.

Bocco
01-22-2015, 09:47 PM
can't pick one player, thought tonight's game was a total team effort especially on defense - Zag defense held St. Mary's to 36% shooting and just 13% from 3 and 47 pts total - so I voted other .... Defense

seacatfan
01-22-2015, 09:48 PM
I went with Kyle Wiltjer because I love his game. The behind the back dribble lay-up (finger roll) was perhaps one of the better moves I have seen a 6'10 player make. Should be #1 on ESPN to me. Surprised no one else noticed it.

Sabonis did have a very good game, but to me was not the POG. Pangos or Wiltjer. I would have voted for Kevin if not for Wiltjer's great play.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

On TV they were late coming back from a TO, so I didn't see the block by Wiltjer that led to that fast break. They didn't even show a replay of it. That pissed me off.

seacatfan
01-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Agree with several others, team effort tonight, I can't pick out one player. Not voting. Sabonis' rebounding was big, but so was knocking down some 3's by Pangos, Bell and Wiltjer, Pangos play making, etc.

Baseline
01-22-2015, 10:37 PM
I gave it to Domas for his rebounding and hustle on defense.
A lot of good playing from everyone, when they click its fun to watch.

CdAZagFan
01-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Toughest vote yet... I was going to vote other and just say TEAM, but I was watching Pangos and really liked the way he stymied Bright on defense. That, in combination with his offense, puts him just a little over the top for me.

zag67
01-23-2015, 05:49 AM
I thought Sabonis and Karnowski both handle the ticky tac fouls on them and the pounding they took very well. They should have gotten a combination player of the game. I voted Karnowski, but it was a toss of the coin. Sabonis is growing up quickly and showing it on the court. I really feel that we have the best front court in the nation. We do get in foul trouble but as long as they keep getting smarter about late fouls, we should be ok. I think that the refs allowed Waldow too much freedom in the beginning, but I have to say our double team made them work.

Zagger
01-23-2015, 06:52 AM
It's not very easy picking a Zag for this honor in most games. I went with Don'tmiss due to his continued improvement in US college BB. The kid is DRIVEN! Rebounds sealed the deal with me for this game.

TexasZagFan
01-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Sabonis - for not losing his composure after picking up the early phantom fouls and for not getting frustrated with Waldow's physical play. He is learning to adjust to the way that college officials call fouls and turnovers.

He is maturing very quickly.

Too quickly...he may be one and done.

gonzagafan62
01-23-2015, 08:08 AM
I am picking Sabonis. A complete monster.

gonzagafan62
01-23-2015, 08:08 AM

I hope that was sarcasm.

stevet75
01-23-2015, 08:56 AM
I voted for Wiltjer, because steals and turnovers are a big deal to me, and he had 3 steals and 0 turnovers. He also scored 13 points and had, I think, 5 rebounds.

amaronizag
01-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Just gave Sabonis my first vote ever for GUnit of the game. From day one my fear has been that his defense wasn't able to stand up to top tier teams. When he came in during the first half to guard Waldo, my heart sank and I remarked that Waldo would score at will on Sabonis. The Waldo immediately took it to Sabonis and had his way with him twice in a row. But then something changed, Sabonis stepped up and did a really solid job of defending Waldo for the rest of the game. I couldn't have been happier to see him emerge and grow in confidence tonight. He still makes too many freshman fouls, but that has improved a bit. This morning, I couldn't be happier with Sabonis. I am truly excited about his/GU's future as I watch him grow. He played great defense last night against a really solid player.

Robzagnut
01-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Sabonis

* There was zero drop off when Karno had to sit with foul trouble.

* He banged against Waldo all night and helped hold him to 4 points in the 2nd half.

* 13 rebounds with one hand.

I like how he holds onto the ball with his left hand and flicks it to Pangos. I wonder if the ball is deflated?

77Zag
01-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Karno's two dunks to kick start our run in second half set the tempo -- Sabonis was awesome as well.

if I could do a Karnbonis I would

Go Zags -- Beat the Tigers!

007Zag
01-23-2015, 09:13 AM

He's averaging more ppg (9.8) and rpg (6.6) than I thought, but I think he waits one more year, maybe even two, to maximize his value in the draft. No way he leaves after this year.

cjm720
01-23-2015, 09:29 AM
I went Karno but easily could have picked Sabonis or Pangos. Good W

cjm720
01-23-2015, 09:30 AM
He's averaging more ppg (9.8) and rpg (6.6) than I thought, but I think he waits one more year, maybe even two, to maximize his value in the draft. No way he leaves after this year.

He's a first round pick now...that said, seems to be a well rounded kid that wants to experience what his pops didn't. I don't see him leaving for at least a couple years and hopefully not until he has a degree in hand.

SWZag
01-23-2015, 09:44 AM

Not too sure that Sabonis is too interested in being a one-and-done. He doesn't have to worry about some of the main motivating factors that would drive others to the NBA.

seacatfan
01-23-2015, 12:47 PM
I'm still not seeing Sabonis as a one and done player. He recently went thru a string of games where he was struggling mightily. He's bounced back nicely, but it's not like he's been dominating all year. His FG% is ridiculous, but most of his scoring is literally point blank range. I think I've seen him hit one jump shot all season. He still needs to add A LOT to his game to be an NBA player.

RenoZag
01-23-2015, 01:13 PM
I opted for Dontmiss Sabonis. Tough dude who is getting tougher by the game.