• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagger
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Will Gonzaga Run The Table?

Will Gonzaga Run The Table?
    Andy Katz and Adrian Branch discuss the odds that Gonzaga will win each of its remaining games this season.
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/ - Scroll down a wee bit and you'll see the video (it has an image of Mt. K & Don'tmiss).
    Looks like the Zags' chances are better than any other team per ESPN's computations. Good for the Zags! (Maybe not so good for the WCC).
  • cjm720
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Yes and then hopefully 6 more.
    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Kiddwell
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

We be Kings

Fun to watch. Not too long ago Kiddwell thought BYU would "run the table" in the WCC (save for its games vs. GU). Well, that went up in smoke twice since. Still like GU's chances to do so, though. And if GU does "run the table," then we're a No. 1 Seed.

Now, if Saint Mary's and Pepperdine would beef up their OOC's and nail down some solid wins there, then Katz and Branch wouldn't be so dismissive of the WCC. (Maybe next year.)

Final thought: BYU was soooo close to beating San Diego State in Hawaii (and would've, had the refs called an obvious late foul against Haws). With that win they'd probably played Arizona for the championship and, win or lose, helped the WCC's rep.

:]
      Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• HenneZag
        Zag for Life
        • Aug 2012

Gonzaga running the table is a possibility, but I think we drop a game at worst 2. SM will be a tough test tomorrow and even tougher in there house. BYU is scramble mode and will be playing with their backs against the wall, the good thing with BYU is we get that at home. Can't forget Pepperdine.

As crazy as it sounds and I will probably get crap for this, is it may be good to lose a game at this point in the season, I know I know. I think losing a game kind of takes pressure off sometimes and resets a mentality for a team. The problem with that is we play in the WCC and it will hurt our seeding, so a double edge sword.

I see a 1 seed being tough to get. If we can get a 2,3 seed with a favorable matchup and play out west that is all I want. I really hope Perkins can come back before season ends but that's looking grim with each passing day, so I hope EM is the spark we need to get this team to another level.
        America's Team!

Comment

• HenneZag
          Zag for Life
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
          Fun to watch. Not too long ago Kiddwell thought BYU would "run the table" in the WCC (save for its games vs. GU). Well, that went up in smoke twice since. Still like GU's chances to do so, though. And if GU does "run the table," then we're a No. 1 Seed.

Now, if Saint Mary's and Pepperdine would beef up their OOC's and nail down some solid wins there, then Katz and Branch wouldn't be so dismissive of the WCC. (Maybe next year.)

Final thought: BYU was soooo close to beating San Diego State in Hawaii (and would've, had the refs called an obvious late foul against Haws). With that win they'd probably played Arizona for the championship and, win or lose, helped the WCC's rep.

:]
          BYU is a frustrating team to follow. So much offensive talent, but haven't been able to close out and finish close games. They are underrated IMO. If they would have beat SDSU who knows what happens vs AZ. They are in need of a big man, if they had that they would be a different team.
          America's Team!

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

One thing that is hampering BYU are injury issues.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
              Zag for Life
              • May 2008

I don't think Gonzaga runs the table the rest of the year. There are teams in this league that can beat us and we are bound to have a game where things just don't go well. Now, I don't think we lose more than 1 or 2 the rest of the way, if that.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
                BYU is a frustrating team to follow. So much offensive talent, but haven't been able to close out and finish close games. They are underrated IMO. If they would have beat SDSU who knows what happens vs AZ. They are in need of a big man, if they had that they would be a different team.
                They lost to Purdue in that tournament, so what makes you think they would've beaten Pitt in the semis even if they did beat that overrated SDSU team? AZ would've blown BYU out of the water...
                "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

I think we can win out but I don't think it is 50-50. We have 2 against SMC (though I think we win here), one against BYU (I think we win), and then some other "creepy" games that in the past have been tough. We also have our tournament we might look ahead a bit and SMC/BYU/Pepp playing to extend the season.

Problem is, I worry we're a 4 seed if we lose b/c of who we might lose to. Something to think about. We can't fall back on a sched like 2013 team, where we can afford another loss and be in the 2/1 seed contention. But, I don't know what I'm talking about, so, there's that.
                  Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
                    They lost to Purdue in that tournament, so what makes you think they would've beaten Pitt in the semis even if they did beat that overrated SDSU team? AZ would've blown BYU out of the water...
                    Every game causes different matchup problems for different teams. I wouldn't be too sure of that.
                    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• HenneZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Aug 2012

[QUOTE=TheGonzagaFactor;1074318]They lost to Purdue in that tournament, so what makes you think they would've beaten Pitt in the semis even if they did beat that overrated SDSU team? AZ would've blown BYU out of the water...[/QUOTE

I don't know what would have happend. I don't compare teams solely on wins and losses, it's also about matchups and style of play. Consistency will eventually show itself throughout the year. BYU has had some tight games and have the ability to be dangerous on any given night. I would take the top 4 teams in the WCC and we could hold our own against stiff competition, jmo. The WCC doesn't get respect and it's easy for most just to say that BYU or whoever would have been blown out of the water just because that's the easy choice. I on the other hand see it differently and think BYU has a solid squad that can hold its own against most teams in the country, and a couple more wins from them would have been nice for the WCC.
                      America's Team!

Comment

• seacatfan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2014

BYU lost a close game (65-61) against Utah, game was at BYU. Utah is tied for Pac 12 lead and getting lots of respect this year.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                          • Feb 2007

No... they won't run the table. I expect at least one road loss... namely in Moraga.
                          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• hondo
                            Zag for Life
                            • May 2009

I don't think many of these writers fully understand the intensity of resentment toward any team that has been on top for so long. That feeling is a great tool for getting very average teams to play with their hair on fire 2 or 3 time a year. Ranked at #3 the Zags now have an even bigger target on their back. That coupled with the fact that we sometimes take our foot off the gas pedal makes any prediction risky. Are the Zags better than anyone left of the schedule? Yes. Do really strange things happen on the road? Yes

Comment

• Zagceo
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2013

Its confirmed!

Comment

Working...
                              X