PDA

View Full Version : OT - The Curtain Of Distraction

CDC84
01-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Don't know if anyone saw this little thing the ASU students came up with to distract free throw shooters this past weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdMqWin9pHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZkMAYgKtOw

webspinnre
01-20-2015, 02:30 PM
They did this a year or two ago as well. I love it.

Zagger
01-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Ha! That's great! Thanx for the fun 84!

CDC84
01-20-2015, 02:50 PM
I dig the old lady with the cane, but she proved to not be a very good distraction.

Section 116
01-20-2015, 03:02 PM
I've seen this several times while watching the PAC 12 network. Some really innovative stuff!

willandi
01-20-2015, 05:52 PM
It seems as if the school must be assisting, by making sure there is space available, changing ends etc. If it is 'win at any cost' (except improving the team) isn't there something much more vile that could be done? It is kind of funny, but is also very poor sportsmanship. I am glad the Zags don't stoop to such a low level.

CDC84
01-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Well we'll never find out what Gonzaga students would do because they don't sit behind the baskets.

seacatfan
01-20-2015, 06:11 PM
It seems as if the school must be assisting, by making sure there is space available, changing ends etc. If it is 'win at any cost' (except improving the team) isn't there something much more vile that could be done? It is kind of funny, but is also very poor sportsmanship. I am glad the Zags don't stoop to such a low level.

Agree. It's kind of entertaining and funny in a very sophomoric way, but fairly bush league. Not really something I'd want my school to be known for. I think it's a fairly embarrassing display for a team competing at the level of Pac 12 play.

DixieZag
01-20-2015, 06:22 PM
I think that takes it a bit far. If fans want to use "fan stuff" like their arms, or jump, or whatever - great, that's all regular stuff behind a backboard. If you allow a comedy skit (sort of), where is the line? Fireworks? Fake gunfight? It gets to the point where it is just way overboard, IMO

Birddog
01-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Was that Francis the goat?

Pargo the Destroyer
01-20-2015, 10:44 PM
I think that takes it a bit far. If fans want to use "fan stuff" like their arms, or jump, or whatever - great, that's all regular stuff behind a backboard. If you allow a comedy skit (sort of), where is the line? Fireworks? Fake gunfight? It gets to the point where it is just way overboard, IMO

You guys are the life of the party aren't ya. You will all be shocked to know college students have parties, drink beer and have intercourse! The horror!

sittingon50
01-20-2015, 10:46 PM
You guys are the life of the party aren't ya. You will all be shocked to know college students have parties, drink beer and have intercourse! The horror!

In what order?

gonzagafan62
01-21-2015, 05:58 AM
In what order?

:roll:

Nice. I think what Dixie was meaning is that, there is no room for this stuff behind a backboard. Or in a basketball game at all. And I actually agree.

willandi
01-21-2015, 06:16 AM
I wonder what the reaction would be if some of the Zag co-eds, dressed as Nuns, sat under the basket and, at the appropriate moment, lifted their tops revealing the flesh colored bustier and covered breasts (perhaps with dark spots on the ends of the cups). Nothing would be exposed, they could dress as a different order of Nun than the ones associated with Gonzaga!
Sounds like a win-win and obviously the utmost in sportsmanship! (sarcasm alert)

Why would any school, at any level, allow such a demeaning display? If winning is that important, get a better team, coach etc. I find it hard to believe that ASU can't draw talented players, must be the school President!

DixieZag
01-21-2015, 06:30 AM
:roll:

Nice. I think what Dixie was meaning is that, there is no room for this stuff behind a backboard. Or in a basketball game at all. And I actually agree.

Correct.

In favor of anything one can think of involving just the crowd sitting back there. Not in favor of special props and actors. Once 0ne gets over and above the crowd, there's no limit. I'd love to attend a party or play where they use the same format.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-21-2015, 06:32 AM
To each their own, but the funniest part is how they're getting smoked by 20 throughout the game... so Utah could've punted the ball out of bounds every time if they wanted to.

I'd be embarrassed if we did this, but if they like it then good for them.

DixieZag
01-21-2015, 06:36 AM
To each their own, but the funniest part is how they're getting smoked by 20 throughout the game... so Utah could've punted the ball out of bounds every time if they wanted to.

I'd be embarrassed if we did this, but if they like it then good for them.

You have a good point. My biggest fear is if it caught fire with schools all over and then the challenge will be to outdo the others with no limit

gonzagafan62
01-21-2015, 06:42 AM
You have a good point. My biggest fear is if it caught fire with schools all over and then the challenge will be to outdo the others with no limit

I remember the thong guy from Duke. That was pretty bad too. And a big distraction.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-21-2015, 09:18 AM
I wonder what the reaction would be if some of the Zag co-eds, dressed as Nuns, sat under the basket and, at the appropriate moment, lifted their tops revealing the flesh colored bustier and covered breasts (perhaps with dark spots on the ends of the cups). Nothing would be exposed, they could dress as a different order of Nun than the ones associated with Gonzaga!
Sounds like a win-win and obviously the utmost in sportsmanship! (sarcasm alert)

Why would any school, at any level, allow such a demeaning display? If winning is that important, get a better team, coach etc. I find it hard to believe that ASU can't draw talented players, must be the school President!

I think the intensity and gamesmanship of checkers is more up your alley.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-21-2015, 09:22 AM

Are the student sections not already doing that? Where do you think the kennel club got their ideas from? or the Cameron Crazies?. Student sections have been trying to outdo each other for a long time. Take Utah State, they do the I, I believe, I believe that we, I believe that we will, I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN chant.....and then a few years ago the KC tried doing one in latin (haec es domas nostra, this is our house, to the same cadence) and thankfully it didnt catch on because it was lame. Its nice to see some creativity from these student sections. It may be worth considering this is a game, games are supposed to be fun, amongst other things.

willandi
01-21-2015, 09:25 AM
I think the intensity and gamesmanship of checkers is more up your alley.

You would expose your breasts to win a game of checkers? Good God, man, where's your sense of pride, your humanity? Do you think it would help...with the checkers?

mgadfly
01-21-2015, 09:42 AM
I thought the unicorns making out (or maybe they were supposed to be fighting) was pretty funny. Twenty years ago I played a championship game in the Tacoma Dome. At one end of the court, to the right of the basket, was a flickering neon sign in the shape of mountains or something. I'd rather face a skit about the magical interaction between fictional beasts than that dang flickering sign any day.

I'm never sure where the line should be. Sit there politely and golf clap? Clap loudly but not yell? Yell but not shake things? Yell, shake things, pass out thunder sticks to all the fans, pump the music up in the speakers, stand the whole game and stomp your feet, but don't have a skit about unicorn love? Personally, I'd prefer we clap loudly but don't yell. But if we are allowing yelling, standing, and thunder sticks, then we might as well have a skit too.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-21-2015, 09:43 AM
You would expose your breasts to win a game of checkers? Good God, man, where's your sense of pride, your humanity? Do you think it would help...with the checkers?

I agree with you there. Exposing your skin is obviously crossing the line. I didnt notice that in the video either but if they were doing that, or something close to that then yes I agree with you. There is a line. I could see the exposing of breasts in a checkers match being a large distraction! haha, no offense intended. I have no issues with the kids having fun. Until it crosses a line.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-21-2015, 09:50 AM
Are the student sections not already doing that? Where do you think the kennel club got their ideas from? or the Cameron Crazies?. Student sections have been trying to outdo each other for a long time. Take Utah State, they do the I, I believe, I believe that we, I believe that we will, I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN chant.....and then a few years ago the KC tried doing one in latin (haec es domas nostra, this is our house, to the same cadence) and thankfully it didnt catch on because it was lame. Its nice to see some creativity from these student sections. It may be worth considering this is a game, games are supposed to be fun, amongst other things.

Did you watch the videos? I have no problem with being loud, jumping around and yelling chants. I just think the way ASU does this is lame because it's actually on the floor. If people are playing fake guitar up in the crowd and unicorns are head butting or whatever then it's fine. It just seems corny because it's actually on the floor. I also don't think what ASU does would be nearly as distracting as what BYU's students do. In Marriott I'd be tempted to pump fake before all my FTs...

DixieZag
01-21-2015, 10:03 AM

I am all for creativity! :) I am all for those chants, I LOVE them.

What I am not for is weird, organized, tiny little production numbers behind the basket while they shoot free throws. I said specifically, they can do whatever they want (including dress up) behind the basket, sitting/standing in their seats. It is the authorized and organized official production stuff behind the basket that I think crosses the line. You keep twisting what I'm saying.

DixieZag
01-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Did you watch the videos? I have no problem with being loud, jumping around and yelling chants. I just think the way ASU does this is lame because it's actually on the floor. If people are playing fake guitar up in the crowd and unicorns are head butting or whatever then it's fine. It just seems corny because it's actually on the floor. I also don't think what ASU does would be nearly as distracting as what BYU's students do. In Marriott I'd be tempted to pump fake before all my FTs...

Thank you - said it better than me above. I didn't see yours yet.

Again, anything official on the floor is beyond my line. Up in the seats is pretty much ok.

ZaGranny
01-21-2015, 10:08 AM
At the WBB's games a few years ago the President of the Kennel Club ( a rather heavy set young man) used to stand behind the basket, take off his shirt, and bounce around (using the word bounce advisedly). It seemed to work to distract the free throw shooters, but he discontinued it after a few games.

ZaGranny

webspinnre
01-21-2015, 10:25 AM
Take Utah State, they do the I, I believe, I believe that we, I believe that we will, I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN chant.....and then a few years ago the KC tried doing one in latin (haec es domas nostra, this is our house, to the same cadence) and thankfully it didnt catch on because it was lame. Its nice to see some creativity from these student sections.

While that one is a stretch (the latin cadence is off), it'd be sweet if we could come up with a cool latin chant. Chants are great, particularly when they aren't done by other student sections.

kitzbuel
01-21-2015, 02:37 PM
While that one is a stretch (the latin cadence is off), it'd be sweet if we could come up with a cool latin chant. Chants are great, particularly when they aren't done by other student sections.

They should do Gregorian chants in Latin that completely abuse the opponent.

laszagas
01-21-2015, 03:36 PM
I was a fan of the elderly lady who would scream "MISS IT" when it was dead silent at the old Kennel. It was just gold that it was a grandma and not a college kid.

webspinnre
01-21-2015, 04:00 PM
They should do Gregorian chants in Latin that completely abuse the opponent.

It'd actually be awesome if they could come up with some hilarious latin translation that was sung/chanted all solemn-like.

kitzbuel
01-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Something like: sicut habet pectus omar samhan aquam bubali