PDA

View Full Version : Any news on EMac?

23dpg
01-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Let's try this again.

I'm worried that his window is closing for this year. Is he coming back soon?

Zagdawg
01-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Makes no sense to apply for a half year redshirt -- he will play when he gets healthy enough -- don't want to rush him back as we are doing fine without him. I would rather have a 100% Mac over an 80% Mac (and take the chance of another injury on the same foot a 3rd time). Thinking longer term over short term.

gonzagafan62
01-20-2015, 01:29 PM
If I remember correctly, we were reported that this was a two week injury, and that they would evaluate in two weeks. The injury was on 1-7-15. Two weeks is tomorrow. I suspect we will hear more tomorrow/next day/gameday.

We will see.

23dpg
01-20-2015, 01:31 PM
I think this team really needs a back up poing guard healthy come March. My biggest concern going forward is that neither Josh nor Eric will be available to spell Pangos. This could cost the Zags in the tourney. My guess is that if neither are available with 6 games remaining, they won't be as much help as needed. (Due to injury recovery and game speed conditioning.)

zag buddy
01-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Investigative type people investigate, inquiring minds need to know.

Zagdawg
01-20-2015, 01:38 PM
That makes sense-- I'm thinking at the latest that they come back and can get comfortably back into game shape is Feb 12-- give them a month to work back into things and get their bodies used to the grind (that would give them 9 games and about a month before the dance).

Agree that Pangos does need someone to spell him- if we hope to go far in the dance.

americasteam
01-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Jim Meehan on Twitter: GU's McClellan cleared for 20 minutes of activity. Expected to test it Wednesday. Few said healing well, see how it reacts after runs/jumps

Jim Meehan on Twitter:GU's Perkins won't practice until jaw is healed & that's a long process. "He can't get popped because it’s still healing,” Few said.

Zagger
01-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Jim Meehan on Twitter: GU's McClellan cleared for 20 minutes of activity. Expected to test it Wednesday. Few said healing well, see how it reacts after runs/jumps

Jim Meehan on Twitter:GU's Perkins won't practice until jaw is healed & that's a long process. "He can't get popped because it’s still healing,” Few said.

Boy, no rush on either EMc or Josh. They'll be needed next season more than now. Little to go on but guessing we won't see Eric in a game this week and Josh .... Sounds like it'll be awhile. Saw a replay of Josh's accident again this weekend. He's darn lucky to not have both a heck of a lot of dental work as well as a concussion. That was one really hard kick!

DixieZag
01-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Boy, no rush on either EMc or Josh. They'll be needed next season more than now. Little to go on but guessing we won't see Eric in a game this week and Josh .... Sounds like it'll be awhile. Saw a replay of Josh's accident again this weekend. He's darn lucky to not have both a heck of a lot of dental work as well as a concussion. That was one really hard kick!

So frustrating. Obviously want what's best and not a day early. But, given I think Perkins injury was, if not intentional, at least reckless.

Mantua
01-20-2015, 06:09 PM
So frustrating. Obviously want what's best and not a day early. But, given I think Perkins injury was, if not intentional, at least reckless.

I don't see much difference. It was certainly not accidental or incidental.

TravelinZag
01-20-2015, 10:06 PM
Agree wouldn't want EMc one day before he is ready. That said, a saved half season has little value compared to working him into the system in time for whatever could be needed in the late & post-season. Plus, some seasoning prior to next year. Have always presumed that Josh would do everything in his power to return this year, and have always hoped (barring near miracles) that it wouldn't happen, and that he would be granted a medical redshirt. Watched the horrific collision from a distance of 20-25 feet. Spoke to this courageous young man just 2 days later. He is very special. Would have been great to have him healthy this year. But I'm content to wait until next season if we must.

jazzdelmar
01-21-2015, 12:05 AM

Agree 1,000.

Booster
01-21-2015, 05:26 AM
McClellan will go Thursday. We'll need the speed and defense against a good club.

btzag
01-21-2015, 05:36 AM
McClellan will go Thursday. We'll need the speed and defense against a good club.

Hopeful thinking or do you have reliable inside info?

gonzagafan62
01-21-2015, 05:45 AM

Thanks booster. That's all I needed to hear. You made my day. Thanks

HenneZag
01-21-2015, 07:28 AM
It would be very welcoming news if EM is cleared to play starting Thursday. With that said, he hasn't played in a game yet this year and hasn't been able to practice the last couple weeks so how in sync will he be is my question.

We definitely need his defensive abilities, is D would help the issue as far as the drop of of intensity during games which has been a major issue the last few games.

gu03alum
01-21-2015, 07:58 AM

Didn't you already start a thread about this subject? I can't find it.

Goshzagit
01-21-2015, 08:06 AM

Yep.

He's going to try and go Thursday.

McClellan practiced Monday briefly, just team drills, yet practiced fully yesterday.

Still has minor fracture, playing through it as long as no pain.

Could see him make appearance vs SMC.

Team and staff really high on him. Terrific, lock-down-esque type defense. Lightning quick offense. Need his defense more than anything, yet seems he wants/likes to score in bunches too.

jazzdelmar
01-21-2015, 08:33 AM
In all the national write-ups on the team nothing much has been made of these two injuries. Mac because he was a mid season add I suppose and Jenks because he was a backup. In fact they have been very significant for the Zags and will be more so going forward.

gonstu
01-21-2015, 08:51 AM
Agree Jazz - zags in a great position: #3 team in nation, in the hunt for a 1-seed & still have potentially two major contributors to be added in the next month if they heal. Earlier I was thinking save their eligibility if possible, but my mindset is shifting to all-in for this year & the depth will help in both post-season tourneys. Agree with the above post about it helping with recent and consistent drop-offs after fast starts. I'm convinced zags can hang with any one this year - and the team will only be better when/if Mac and Jenks return.

HenneZag
01-21-2015, 08:53 AM
In all the national write-ups on the team nothing much has been made of these two injuries. Mac because he was a mid season add I suppose and Jenks because he was a backup. In fact they have been very significant for the Zags and will be more so going forward.

The Perkins injury was a big hit. We saw very little drop off when Perkins came into the game. Now when Pangos sits we lose our ability to run the offense with fluidity. Im really hoping Perkins will be able to go at full speed in March.

Zagger
01-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Prolly also due to current Zag depth - I can imagine the press now if/when either or both Eric and Josh are in games again - lots of comments on how deep the Zags are. I surely hope EVERYONE stays injury free. If that is the case going forward AND we have E & J back - Wow! We'd be able to run less deep team ragged. We'd also be darn hard to scout effectively (lots for an opposing team to assimilate).

Mr Vulture
01-21-2015, 09:03 AM
So, I gotta ask, does he or does he not have a fracture still? I can't imagine a doctor would approve him to play if he still had a fracture showing...part of me wonders if it was stress reaction and not a true stress fracture. I want him to play as well but I'd rather go without him this week if it meant he'd be good to go the rest of the season.

cjm720
01-21-2015, 09:03 AM
The Perkins injury was a big hit. We saw very little drop off when Perkins came into the game. Now when Pangos sits we lose our ability to run the offense with fluidity. Im really hoping Perkins will be able to go at full speed in March.

And IMO more importantly, Perks allows Pangos to shift to shooting guard which little drop off at the point.

DixieZag
01-21-2015, 09:10 AM

Good point. There really isn't a difference between reckless and intentional.

HenneZag
01-21-2015, 09:11 AM
And IMO more importantly, Perks allows Pangos to shift to shooting guard which little drop off at the point.

Great point.

DixieZag
01-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Prolly also due to current Zag depth - I can imagine the press now if/when either or both Eric and Josh are in games again - lots of comments on how deep the Zags are. I surely hope EVERYONE stays injury free. If that is the case going forward AND we have E & J back - Wow! We'd be able to run less deep team ragged. We'd also be darn hard to scout effectively (lots for an opposing team to assimilate).

Good point. Also that they are a frosh, and a transfer who hasn't played in a long time. ONe has played 6 games, one played 0 games with us. Very easy to not note the loss b/c they were not a big point of emphasis before.

jazzdelmar
01-21-2015, 11:36 AM
The vaunted Zag depth is an illusion. At arguably the most imp position, behind the most imp player on the team there is bupkis. Nada. Nothing. Bell and KD handling the ball produces winces and turnovers. BW is game but not much better. Few has lost confidence in SM as a point. Just one of the injured back is a major plus. Right now my money is on Mac. I just don't see Jenks making it back this season. Hope I'm dead wrong.

Angelo Roncalli
01-21-2015, 12:05 PM
The vaunted Zag depth is an illusion. At arguably the most imp position, behind the most imp player on the team there is bupkis. Nada. Nothing. Bell and KD handling the ball produces winces and turnovers. BW is game but not much better. Few has lost confidence in SM as a point. Just one of the injured back is a major plus. Right now my money is on Mac. I just don't see Jenks making it back this season. Hope I'm dead wrong.

I think JDM is spot on. Silas, Gary and KD are not point guards. If Few can get 8, even 6, productive minutes out of McCLellan, it will be huge. It is clear that teams are now working on Pangos to get him foul trouble. When Kevin is on the bench, the offense runs like an outboard with water in the gas, spits, chugs, runs ok for minute, then stops.

jazzdelmar
01-21-2015, 12:10 PM
I think JDM is spot on. Silas, Gary and KD are not point guards. If Few can get 8, even 6, productive minutes out of McCLellan, it will be huge. It is clear that teams are now working on Pangos to get him foul trouble. When Kevin is on the bench, the offense runs like an outboard with water in the gas, spits, chugs, runs ok for minute, then stops.

I think I had that outboard on all my summer vacas to Lake George.

As well, don't forget that Jenks, for all his talent, is still a frosh and will make mistakes. And neither he nor Mac will be a doppelgänger for KP. Still, we need one or both quite desperately.

gonzagafan62
01-21-2015, 12:23 PM
I think I had that outboard on all my summer vacas to Lake George.

As well, don't forget that Jenks, for all his talent, is still a frosh and will make mistakes. And neither he nor Mac will be a doppelgänger for KP. Still, we need one or both quite desperately.

You and angelo are spot on. There is no reason to think that either one will be super awesome when they do finally get back on the court. Both will make mistakes (and very bad ones to start) ... but as they get acclimated to being back into shape (basketball shape) they will be what we wanted them to all along eventually.

I do think Jenks will come back this season. I think he is a fighter and a warrior and wants to take this opportunity as a very balanced team, and relish the chance to make it far in the tournament. You never know how many chances you will get to have this good of a team. I do not want him to rush back by any means, and I am with all of you, I just hope he continues to make process on healing his jaw and return when the doctor allows him to come back.

And I hope its this season.

HenneZag
01-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Both EM and JP are needed badly on this team for the final run IMO. We need another defensive stopper as well as someone who can rest Pangos and/or allow KP to play off the ball. With that said I wouldn't rush them back if they aren't properly heeled for the obvious reason of re-injuring or aggravating the injury. I definitely feel for both guys but can relate to Perkins because I went through the broken jaw deal and it was frustrating. I wanted to get back playing right away but even turning my head, jogging, smiling, chewing was still painful once the wires were off, it takes nearly 3 months to feel back to normal.

VaBeachZAG
01-21-2015, 03:00 PM
You and angelo are spot on. There is no reason to think that either one will be super awesome when they do finally get back on the court. Both will make mistakes (and very bad ones to start) ... but as they get acclimated to being back into shape (basketball shape) they will be what we wanted them to all along eventually.

I do think Jenks will come back this season. I think he is a fighter and a warrior and wants to take this opportunity as a very balanced team, and relish the chance to make it far in the tournament. You never know how many chances you will get to have this good of a team. I do not want him to rush back by any means, and I am with all of you, I just hope he continues to make process on healing his jaw and return when the doctor allows him to come back.

And I hope its this season.

If medically cleared JP will be back this year, no point in setting out the remainder of the year and get nothing for it (e.g., med. red shirt). How much he plays will be dictated by his physical conditioning.

bigblahla
01-21-2015, 06:04 PM

C'mon Jazz....doom and gloom....18-1....Draino can handle the point when he has to....you know the guy you don't think is athletic....not disagreeing about Perkins and McClellan being needed but do take exception to your negativity 18-1. This TEAM is doing what it takes to win 18-1. I doubt they share your concern 18-1....Coach hasn't lost faith in Air-Melson, he is a freshman prone to mistakes so common sense steps in not loss of faith....all perspective my friend.... all perspective...did I mention 18-1...;)

Go!! Zags!!!

23dpg
01-21-2015, 06:56 PM
I don't see a ton of turnovers when Pangos is out but I do see the offense sputtering.

I don't think it's exactly correct to say Few has lost confidence is Melson at the point. He's basically used him there as a stopgap. Silas was not the pg on his HS team and usually didn't run the offense.

Overall I think we're all saying the same thing. They could win out in the regular season with the current lineup, but if they have dreams of playing in April, a backup pg is almost a must.