PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs St. Mary's...game predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
01-18-2015, 10:01 AM
I know it's only Sunday, but this game against St. Mary's is worth a good week posting here. I mean, what else is there to talk about beating St. Mary's this week. I am so happy that they are undefeated too because the game will have much more significance now, a battle between two undefeated teams in conference play. And our Zags will be at home. And the students will be back and ready to stomp on those Gaels.

I have to admit. This is a good, true rivalry and I do not like St. Mary's at all (accept Waldo). I don't like their coach and imo these are the most unlikable players I have ever seen at St. Mary's. They are cocky, arrogant and are ready for, imo to get a good beating from the Zags. Without Waldo they are nothing. Unfortunately, Waldo has been almost unstoppable in WCC play. But no other team in the WCC has the power and talent that GU has in the front-court. Waldo is the kind of low post player that our front-court guys CAN DEFEND. He is not a good 3 point shooter like some post players our guys have seen lately. He does is not quick in attacking the basket off the dribble like Davis from Pepperdine is.

However, there will be some other really good match ups to see. Bell vs Carter. Oh I am looking forward to this one. I do not like Carter at all. And then there will be the matchup with Jackson and Wesley. Jackson has been a pleasant surprise for the Gaels and is playing very well right now, and can score both inside and out. Wesley must be ready for this match-up. Wesley can be an excellent defender when he wants to, and Dranginis too. They will make it more difficult for Jackson then BYU did. They have an ok point guard but nothing like Kevin Pangos.

I will go with the Zags by 15

Gonzaga 84
St Mary's 69

dan71w
01-18-2015, 11:17 AM
i am gonna put my money on a 20+ win,
i have never cared for st. Mary's ever since sam ham, they leave a bad taste in my mouth every time we play them.
they have always been an arrogant bunch.
i just do not see them keeping pace with us, they do not have the depth, or the firepower and it being at our house, and the kids back to see there team beat the snot outa SMC.
hoping our boys make this a statement game.
on a side note, if the game is close i blame the refs!!!! the refs taking our bigs out of their game is the only chance St. Mary's has. if they let them play, we win by 20+; if the refs call ticky tack, it will be too close but we still win by 5-10.
I have noticed the only times this season we have had semi close games happens when the refs are calling ticky tack fouls on our bigs.

MTZag03
01-18-2015, 11:24 AM
I have no real beef with SMC. I think they are great for the conference and like when their fans post here. Waldow surprised everyone his freshman year and has been steady since. He has put up great numbers so far, but like you pointed out, we can defend him. It was painful to watch Karno/Wiltjer/Don'tmiss try to defend Davis who would just take them off the dribble. Waldow can't do that. Essentially he's a much smaller Karnowski. We saw what Karno did twice last year against him. With more bigs for GU, I just don't see Waldow doing much against us. The guard matchup is different, but I favor our seniors over SMC. I predict a comfortable win, followed by a gruff Bennett handshake at the end.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-18-2015, 11:47 AM
Unless Karnowski gets into foul trouble, I predict a 12-15 point win for the home team. The SMC offense is too reliant on Waldo for scoring and he has not played well in prior match ups against Karno. If Karnowski gets into foul trouble, this could be a very uncomfortable night for us.

GaelfanCA
01-18-2015, 11:48 AM
Sounds like you guys are talking down on the Gaels quite a bit. Surprising since you guys were giving heavy props to Pepperdine after you barely squeaked out a win there, while we won fairly comfortably. Guess that's is how rivalries work. This "Reborn" character says that he dislikes Carter, the feeling from Carter is probably mutual towards Gonzaga University. Carter is everything that Gael basketball stands for, and plays with far more effort than anyone you guys put on the floor.

I really do think that this is the best Zag team I've ever seen however, and really appreciate the way your team is unselfish and high-skilled. I think that this game is going to be a clash of styles. You guys generally playing efficient, smooth, finesse basketball, while the Gaels will play a aggressive, in your face, grinding, muck it up style.

While this is not even close to the most talented offensive team the Gaels have had, it is our best team we've ever had on the boards, and one of our better defensive teams. Outside of Arizona, (who the Gaels scrimmaged pre-season and lost 64-61...3 point margin sounds farmiliar...), this Gaels team is the most physical interior team you will have played this year, we will get up in your face and won't give an inch up. This team starts five seniors and has shown well on the road, not being intimidated by big venues.

I still say that the Zags will win, I'll predict 79-73. But I predict that the Gaels will return the favor, and get a win in McKeon later on this year.
Your team is not even close to "20+" points better like some of your posters believe that you are.
See you on the court Thursday.
Go Gaels.

maynard g krebs
01-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you guys are talking down on the Gaels quite a bit. Surprising since you guys were giving heavy props to Pepperdine after you barely squeaked out a win there, while we won fairly comfortably. Guess that's is how rivalries work. This "Reborn" character says that he dislikes Carter, the feeling from Carter is probably mutual towards Gonzaga University. Carter is everything that Gael basketball stands for, and plays with far more effort than anyone you guys put on the floor.

I really do think that this is the best Zag team I've ever seen however, and really appreciate the way your team is unselfish and high-skilled. I think that this game is going to be a clash of styles. You guys generally playing efficient, smooth, finesse basketball, while the Gaels will play a aggressive, in your face, grinding, muck it up style.

While this is not even close to the most talented offensive team the Gaels have had, it is our best team we've ever had on the boards, and one of our better defensive teams. Outside of Arizona, (who the Gaels scrimmaged pre-season and lost 64-61...3 point margin sounds farmiliar...), this Gaels team is the most physical interior team you will have played this year, we will get up in your face and won't give an inch up. This team starts five seniors and has shown well on the road, not being intimidated by big venues.

I still say that the Zags will win, I'll predict 79-73. But I predict that the Gaels will return the favor, and get a win in McKeon later on this year.
Your team is not even close to "20+" points better like some of your posters believe that you are.
Go Gaels.

Hey Gaelfan, some of us like and respect your team. I thought they ran a clinic against BYU's zone last night, and would have had a blowout if Carter and Bright were hitting their shots. Thanks for posting.

seacatfan
01-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Outside of Arizona, (who the Gaels scrimmaged pre-season and lost 64-61...3 point margin sounds farmiliar...), this Gaels team is the most physical interior team you will have played this year, we will get up in your face and won't give an inch up.

Georgia and St. John's were both very physical in the NIT games at MSG. Don't know that your statement above is accurate.

Hoopaholic
01-18-2015, 12:14 PM

Go Gaels.

clash of styles is exactly correct and your integrity to point out the style smc has chosen is refreshing

however mucking it up, in your face physicality is not basketball..it is more akin to rugby and is generally the style teams take when they know they have far less talent, ability than team they are playing

however zags have shown physicality is not something they shy away from and so long as calls are consistent i feel very comfortable we will win

we have strong defenders to cover your guards and very comfortable handling waldo inside

i see a 12 point win

MDABE80
01-18-2015, 12:45 PM
SMC is a VERY good team. 7-0 in league. We'll have our hands full. Waldow has developed into a great player (21-10 stats). Bright, Carter,etc do very good work.
Univ WA transfer is doing very well down there.
Bennett's a super coach. They'll keep us busy.
Samhan was a goof.....no doubt and he loved to hassle GU on and off the court. No worries. We have work to do. We'll win by 10 but it'll be a tough game...........I do not recommend we get a nice lead and then collapse. We must stay on SMC from tip to the end.

seacatfan
01-18-2015, 12:47 PM
however mucking it up, in your face physicality is not basketball..it is more akin to rugby and is generally the style teams take when they know they have far less talent, ability than team they are playing

however zags have shown physicality is not something they shy away from and so long as calls are consistent i feel very comfortable we will win

That's pretty much par for the course for at least half of the WCC teams when they play against GU, and has been for quite a while. Not exactly something new.

Nevada Don
01-18-2015, 12:55 PM
on a side note, if the game is close i blame the refs!!!! the refs taking our bigs out of their game is the only chance St. Mary's has. if they let them play, we win by 20+; if the refs call ticky tack, it will be too close but we still win by 5-10.
I have noticed the only times this season we have had semi close games happens when the refs are calling ticky tack fouls on our bigs.

I assume you're not kidding about already blaming the refs as a prequel to a loss? Are you are a transfer from BYU and if so aren't you supposed to sit a year before you can post?

GaelfanCA
01-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Georgia and St. John's were both very physical in the NIT games at MSG. Don't know that your statement above is accurate.

Can't speak on Georgia, but we played at St. John's and albeit in a close losing effort, we out-rebounded them 47-29. Don't know many teams that are more physical than the other but get out-rebounded by 18.

seacatfan
01-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Rebounding is one way to judge physicality, but it's not the only aspect of it. I'm thinking more in terms of lots of grabbing, shoving, wrestling moves, etc. And I don't think Arizona is as physical as you are giving them credit for being, I've watched most of their games this year. They hammered Utah on the boards yesterday, doubled them up, but there have been games where they were outrebounded by smaller, less athletic teams. If rebounding=physicality like you indicated above, Arizona maybe isn't all that physical.

Nevada Don
01-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Hey Gaelfan, some of us like and respect your team. I thought they ran a clinic against BYU's zone last night, and would have had a blowout if Carter and Bright were hitting their shots. Thanks for posting.

You are very observant and checked the stats. I think our top 3 point shooters went something like 2-14 last night with a positive outcome none the less. For the record, if Waldo is defended, SMC has a half a dozen guys that can shoot the three and get hot. That has not been their role this season so its not apparent in the stats. Now please pass the straws, I need another one.

kyle dixon
01-18-2015, 01:39 PM
The Zags play with little effort. The lumberjacks of Northern Arizona certainly do.

Kiddwell
01-18-2015, 01:44 PM
The "Do," a rhymed couplet
<ahem>
Gonzaga B-ball; Gonzaga flair,
With Gary's shooting, and Fonzie's hair.

-------
Happy Days - 88
Just Dazed - 66

:]

gonzagafan62
01-18-2015, 01:45 PM
81-75 st Mary's stays close. Waldow vs karnowski will be fun

Nevada Don
01-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Sorry to see that Austin Daye was released yesterday by the Spurs. So much for a Zag and a Gael playing on the same team. Love to see all WCC pro's do well.

DixieZag
01-18-2015, 03:28 PM
SMC fans:

It's not so much that we have more respect for Pepp as a team right now, it's that they've come so far from the very bottom to be more than respectable. Our relative confidence (to the extent there is confidence) is due more to where we are right now than you not being a good team. I think we'll get up big (as usual), between 12-18 in the first ten minutes, and give it up to under 5 or under. I have no idea why we do, but we do, and I see no reason it will change.

I think the second half will be close until the ten minute mark, at which point our depth takes a toll and we get up 10-15 and just grind out a win in the same sort of score.

Zags 84
SMC 72

Small things - we've been on the road mostly in what seems like forever. It's the first game back with the K-Club, first game in 3 years you guys have had to play in that atmosphere. Our guys will shoot better at home and have an extra pep in their step. And, I don't think you can stop the combo of Karno, Wiltjer and Sabonis.

It might be different if you guys had beating anyone significant. Your win at Creighton and Pepp aren't bad, but this will be different. I like your team and your fans. I don't like Bennet and his jog by the winning team at the end, the scheduling style, and the cheating. Just me.

Nevada Don
01-18-2015, 04:04 PM
It might be different if you guys had beating anyone significant. Your win at Creighton and Pepp aren't bad, but this will be different. I like your team and your fans. I don't like Bennet and his jog by the winning team at the end, the scheduling style, and the cheating. Just me.[/QUOTE]

DixieZag, I have always respected you and your posts but to me the "cheating comment" is a total misrepresentation of what really happened. My understanding is that the main "cheating" was that a part time, short term assistant coach gave a potential French recruit some SMC swag, warm up suit, etc. For that he was crucified. He and the program was punished severely but I just think its a cheap shot as people read the headlines not really knowing the background. Do you honestly think that Mark or one of the Gonzaga coaches have never committed "something" for which they could have been prosecuted, technically, by the NCAA? Look at all of the crap the big schools purportedly do with a slap on the wrist if that. Bennett was nailed for not knowing what one of his coaches did. Technically he cheated and he is paying for it, regardless of whether he was aware of it or not, he was supposed to know. Do you really want to put Mark or other coaches under the same microscope?

willandi
01-18-2015, 04:16 PM
I assume you're not kidding about already blaming the refs as a prequel to a loss? Are you are a transfer from BYU and if so aren't you supposed to sit a year before you can post?

Why does a Nevada Don care about SMC? Just curious.

CdAZagFan
01-18-2015, 04:22 PM
I hope for a 20+ point beatdown by the Zags - but likely they'll get up by 18-20 and then let their foot off the gas and win by 12-15 going away late...

Nevada Don
01-18-2015, 04:22 PM
If anyone wants to see what "cheating is" please Google the following from Run the Floor

Comparing the Miami and St. Mary’s infractions

Posted by Michael Rogner on Oct 23, 2013 13:16

Nevada Don
01-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Why does a Nevada Don care about SMC? Just curious.

My name is Don.

I previously lived in Lake Tahoe, Nevada
I went to Saint Mary's
I love Saint Mary's
I respect Gonzaga and I like Gonzaga

Too many "I's" so I am done.

Reborn
01-18-2015, 04:29 PM

Did you notice that BYU's second best playerl, and 2nd highest scorer, Anson Winder was not in the game last night. And yet they only lost by 4 points. He IS there best 3 point shooter too. He scored 17 against Gonzaga, and averages 14.7 for the year. Hope he is playing when St. Mary's plays in Provo.

Go Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
01-18-2015, 04:30 PM
It might be different if you guys had beating anyone significant. Your win at Creighton and Pepp aren't bad, but this will be different. I like your team and your fans. I don't like Bennet and his jog by the winning team at the end, the scheduling style, and the cheating. Just me.

DixieZag, I have always respected you and your posts but to me the "cheating comment" is a total misrepresentation of what really happened. My understanding is that the main "cheating" was that a part time, short term assistant coach gave a potential French recruit some SMC swag, warm up suit, etc. For that he was crucified. He and the program was punished severely but I just think its a cheap shot as people read the headlines not really knowing the background. Do you honestly think that Mark or one of the Gonzaga coaches have never committed "something" for which they could have been prosecuted, technically, by the NCAA? Look at all of the crap the big schools purportedly do with a slap on the wrist if that. Bennett was nailed for not knowing what one of his coaches did. Technically he cheated and he is paying for it, regardless of whether he was aware of it or not, he was supposed to know. Do you really want to put Mark or other coaches under the same microscope?[/QUOTE]

all coaches and programs are under the same microscope

interesting arguement that you think there are levels of cheating and that some should be treated with a wink and nod................wow

DixieZag
01-18-2015, 04:34 PM

DixieZag, I have always respected you and your posts but to me the "cheating comment" is a total misrepresentation of what really happened. My understanding is that the main "cheating" was that a part time, short term assistant coach gave a potential French recruit some SMC swag, warm up suit, etc. For that he was crucified. He and the program was punished severely but I just think its a cheap shot as people read the headlines not really knowing the background. Do you honestly think that Mark or one of the Gonzaga coaches have never committed "something" for which they could have been prosecuted, technically, by the NCAA? Look at all of the crap the big schools purportedly do with a slap on the wrist if that. Bennett was nailed for not knowing what one of his coaches did. Technically he cheated and he is paying for it, regardless of whether he was aware of it or not, he was supposed to know. Do you really want to put Mark or other coaches under the same microscope?[/QUOTE]

I originally thought I was responding to Nevada. Sorry for the confusion. I'll leave it up b/c it is part a response to him, but Hoop also did.

No, I know that "something" at GU at some point likely happened, something quite small, I'm sure, and almost sure near accidental. Perhaps calling yours "cheating" is a little strong and I definitely think you got hammered in comparison to say North Carolina (which is sort of unfathomable) I don't think it was that minor a violation, Personal workouts with coaches off-season is a pretty bright line rule. I guess what it gets down to is whether Bennet knew and, true, they did not find that he did. I'm sure someone knew, but it's now in the past.

As I said, I am positive that near every single D-1 team has done something they'd rather not have the NCAA know about. So, that's fair.

You would be surprised how many people really are turned off by the near violent way he brushes by coaches after a loss and is all sweetness when they win. Perhaps it's a small thing, but it looks bad. And, most of the anger comes from not raising up and finding ways to get more quality wins OOC b/c we assume you'd win your share.

Anyway, I am glad you guys have maintained a high level. The conference and GU benefits tremendously. And I truly have been a fan of a number of your players over the years, particularly the guards who have been uniformly good kids anyone would be proud of. Samham wanted to be hated and we obliged. :)

Reborn
01-18-2015, 04:35 PM

Thank you for your post, and especially how you give us GU fans some insight into Carter's temperament. I'm glad he hates us. We'll see how he stand up against Gary Bell. I wasn't too impressed with his game last night. If you guys didn't have Waldo you'd be pretty bad. Waldo will have more trouble with Gonzaga then any team in the WCC. I am glad there are deep feelings that will come out in this game.

MDABE You can praise Bennett all you want. He has been so disrespectful to Mark Few over the years that I'm surprised that any Zag fan could say anything about him. He may be a good coach, but I'm glad he's at St. Mary's. I so look forward to the end of the game and seeing how Bennett, one more times, walks by Few as fast as he can and doesn't shake his hand nor look at him....precious!!

Go Zags!!!
One game a time!

gonzagafan62
01-18-2015, 04:38 PM
My name is Don.

I went to Saint Mary's
I love Saint Mary's

Haha I love your posts lol

RenoZag
01-18-2015, 04:41 PM
I'll save my prediction for later in the week. Interesting thread so far, thanks to all for enlivening an otherwise dull afternoon of football:
http://deadspin.com/lets-laugh-at-these-poor-seahawks-fans-who-left-the-gam-1680308850

At statsheet.com you can compare the Zags and Gaels offenses, defenses, total season, or conference stats only

LINK (http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/compare?t1-season=2014-2015&t1-type=4&t1=saint-marys&t2-type=2&t2=gonzaga)

Hoopaholic
01-18-2015, 04:45 PM
I originally thought I was responding to Nevada. Sorry for the confusion. I'll leave it up b/c it is part a response to him. It perhaps looks more like a response to Hoop. Anyway

No, I know that "something" at some point likely happened, something quite small, I'm sure, and almost sure near accidental. Perhaps calling it "cheating" is a little strong and I definitely think you got hammered in comparison to say North Carolina (which is sort of unfathomable) I don't think it was that minor a violation, Personal workouts with coaches off-season is a pretty bright line rule. I guess what it gets down to is whether Bennet knew and, true, they did not find that he did. I'm sure someone knew, but it's now in the past.

As I said, I am positive that near every single D-1 team has done something they'd rather not have the NCAA know about. So, that's fair.

You would be surprised how many people really are turned off by the near violent way he brushes by coaches after a loss and is all sweetness when they win. Perhaps it's a small thing, but it looks bad. And, most of the anger comes from not raising up and finding ways to get more quality wins OOC b/c we assume you'd win your share.

Anyway, I am glad you guys have maintained a high level. The conference and GU benefits tremendously. And I truly have been a fan of a number of your players over the years, particularly the guards who have been uniformly good kids anyone would be proud of. Samham wanted to be hated and we obliged. :)[/QUOTE]

NCAA charged an unnamed former assistant with unethical conduct, saying he "knowingly committed violations during the recruitment of three prospects." The report said that the assistant arranged for travel to the United States and lodging with a local family for at least one recruit and that Bennett was aware of the activity.

not exactly minor

clear evidence head coach was aware

and the other offense involved setting up recruit in a school in near moranga...even my mother knows thats a no no

willandi
01-18-2015, 04:47 PM
My name is Don.

I went to Saint Mary's
I love Saint Mary's

Thank you. I understand.

WallaWallaZag
01-18-2015, 04:49 PM
My understanding is that the main "cheating" was that a part time, short term assistant coach gave a potential French recruit some SMC swag, warm up suit, etc.

i'll admit that i'm not familiar with the situation surrounding the violations, but i've never heard of a "part time, short term assistant coach" at any program before...that sounds like an invite for ncaa violations.

FGZagDad
01-18-2015, 04:58 PM
i'll admit that i'm not familiar with the situation surrounding the violations, but i've never heard of a "part time, short term assistant coach" at any program before...that sounds like an invite for ncaa violations.

It just seems to me like SMC isn't really ready for the big time. They are still
comfortable swimming in the shallow end of the pool (OOC schedule over the years). I wish they would step up and schedule someone, at least BYU does that. The Zags need this game, so it's perfect. They need the hype, the challenge (we will see) and the smack talk back and forth. It will be a win in the Kennel, don't care by how much...

Zagger
01-18-2015, 05:02 PM
Ah, the Gaels are a bunch a wooooses. Just tiny armor clad cartoon characters afraid of big snarly dawgs. They're gonna rust up their chainmail with all the whimpering they'll be doing trying to climb Mt. K and all the pounding they'll receive from the Don'tmiss catapult. Bulldawgs 90 - Shaking in their metallic booties Gaels 60.
Http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/beatsmc.png

Nevada Don
01-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Thanks DixieZag for your reply.

Nevada Don
01-18-2015, 05:10 PM
interesting arguement that you think there are levels of cheating and that some should be treated with a wink and nod................wow[/QUOTE]

Not what I said. Not what I meant. I won't take up any more of your space Hoop.

willandi
01-18-2015, 05:58 PM
interesting arguement that you think there are levels of cheating and that some should be treated with a wink and nod................wow

Not what I said. Not what I meant. I won't take up any more of your space Hoop.[/QUOTE]

NCAA feels that way about cheating. If you're one of the big boys, it's understandable, however, a mid-major needs to be crucified so the others see that you mean business. Don't worry about vacating wins, you can always give them back later!

maynard g krebs
01-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Did you notice that BYU's second best playerl, and 2nd highest scorer, Anson Winder was not in the game last night. And yet they only lost by 4 points. He IS there best 3 point shooter too. He scored 17 against Gonzaga, and averages 14.7 for the year. Hope he is playing when St. Mary's plays in Provo.

Go Zags!!!

Yes, I am aware Winder didn't play. Do you think that makes my post untrue?

I am glad to have the St Mary's games to help keep things interesting during the WCC season. They play good basketball and to have them go back to mediocrity would be a bad thing for the Zags, especially with the albatross of an 18 game WCC regular season to take away quality OOC games.

As to the other stuff, none of it really affects the Zags or their fans, so really, who cares.

john montana
01-18-2015, 06:52 PM

Hah ha...this made me laugh out loud.

Smc is good. Well coached, they play together, they play hard and Thursday will be an absolute battle. My problem with smc is the way they schedule. Wcc fans know how good that team is year in and year out, but no one else in the country knows because Bennett won't prove it! Then, when they do knock off GU it is a "bad loss" for us...but never a good win in terms of perception.

It will be close like always, but I think we pull it out at home.

stevet75
01-18-2015, 07:00 PM
It's a home game and the Zags will be ready. I predict a 81 - 73 win. The final 2 minutes of the game the Zags will be up by 17, but the Gaels keep fouling and our guys start having problem from the free throw line.

GU69
01-18-2015, 07:10 PM
I think that SMC is very good (again), and their wins over Pepp and BYU prove it. However, this game is in Spokane and the home team advantage will hopefully make this one ok. I'm more worried about the game in Moraga. For this Thursday I'm looking for a 12 point win. Maybe 72-60.

DixieZag
01-18-2015, 07:30 PM

Smc is good. Well coached, they play together, they play hard and Thursday will be an absolute battle. My problem with smc is the way they schedule. Wcc fans know how good that team is year in and year out, but no one else in the country knows because Bennett won't prove it! Then, when they do knock off GU it is a "bad loss" for us...but never a good win in terms of perception.

Well, I'm happy to entertain you, but I don't see a whole lot different between our two posts, so I guess I should be in on the joke? Did I say they were bad? I said it would be "different" if they had gone out and played teams at a higher level, and have had the experience. I described a pretty hard fought game.

Happy to hear you're happy.

BULLDOG#1
01-18-2015, 07:38 PM
If Karno/Sabonis can handle Waldo without the double team, then I think the zags run away with it.

I haven't seen a lot of SMC this year, but from what I know of them, I don't think they have an answer to Wesley or Sabonis. Or Wiltjer.

They have shooters who can get hot... so they're dangerous. I don't think they have the horses to run with the zags this year, tho.

john montana
01-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Well, I'm happy to entertain you, but I don't see a whole lot different between our two posts, so I guess I should be in on the joke? Did I say they were bad? I said it would be "different" if they had gone out and played teams at a higher level, and have had the experience. I described a pretty hard fought game.

Happy to hear you're happy.

Chill dude...I laughed out loud because it was funny and I agree with you. Jeez...

Marcus
01-18-2015, 08:36 PM
I like SMC, it's always fun to have a rival where you can really get excited about playing them. Not a lot of in conference games get the same level of excitement. I liked Delly a ton and root for him in the NBA and liked watching Mills too. I only have two beefs with the program, out of conference schedule and Randy's blow by hand shake. The latter bothering me the most. It just screams out immaturity and poor sportsmanship when you can't give the opposition any respect after the game is over. You can be ultra competitive and hate losing and still respect your opponent.

Anyways, I suck at making predictions but here goes. Pangos gets the record for 3's and Zags win by 12.

DixieZag
01-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Chill dude...I laughed out loud because it was funny and I agree with you. Jeez...

Wasn't the least bit upset. Just couldn't figure out if you thought I was being stupid - not like that's rare. Just pointed out we were in agreement - so, it's all good.

So long as we win...

Zag_Dad
01-18-2015, 09:40 PM
I think that SMC is very good (again), and their wins over Pepp and BYU prove it. However, this game is in Spokane and the home team advantage will hopefully make this one ok. I'm more worried about the game in Moraga. For this Thursday I'm looking for a 12 point win. Maybe 72-60.

I agree with this ^

Zags11
01-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Zags 84
gaels 72

bell 19

LongIslandZagFan
01-19-2015, 05:33 AM
Mascot that give children nightmares 195
Spike and his boys 40

http://bestkeptcollegesecrets.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/gael.jpg

raise the zag
01-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Very impressed with SMC this season. Light years better than they were last season. They've really upgraded their wing position, rebounding, and toughness from top-to-bottom.

They can hang with the Zags if Waldow gets going; however, IF the Zags step up their intensity on defense (which they only pick 'n choose their moments), we'll run away with it.

WHEN the Zags mix up defenses (see Arizona, and some at BYU), and play with full blown effort, we are one of the Top-4 teams in the in country.

Gaels are good, yet we can defend them, UNLIKE fellow WCC teams.

SMC is a handful for any team, they keep the game close, yet Zags are simply on another level, IF/WHEN they commit to playing tough D.

I'd like to see Coach Few mix it up more than he has -- 95-5 ratio of M2M vs Zone -- yet every single game we've played zone, at least to change it up, its worked.

See Arizona. See BYU. See St Johns.

It works and keeps our guys fresh. Lighten up the conservatism and realize our defense is damn near unstoppable with size, length, and some athleticism when we 1. play with intensity 2. mix up our offerings.

Pangos and Bell and Karnowski execute zone beautifully, yet rarely get the chance to play it, UNLESS we are losing(BYU) or fearful of their bigs(Zona) or they are terrible 3 pt shooters (St Johns).

All the above worked and lead to wins, btw.

Mix it up, play hard on D, and we win going away with our talent and effort alone. Zags by 14.

Hoopaholic
01-19-2015, 08:33 AM
if we stay out of foul trouble in the paint we have the ability to play heads up solid m-m defense eliminating clean looks and second chance rebounds that smc relies upon

it still will be a grinder defensively and an intense game

gonzaga 70
smc 58

Baseline
01-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Waldo has taken his game to a new level this year, but PK was able to dominate him last year. While he may not dominate as much, I think PK still controls Waldo and without him SMC drops off quickly. SMC plays with intensity, so I'm expecting a good game.

Zags 78
SMC 72

cjm720
01-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Zags will be happy to be home and win running away. Waldow is reminded he doesn't do well against us and Karno eats his lunch. Melson comes in as a huge spark plug off the bench.

Zags 81
Gails 66

Nevada Don
01-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Shake it Randy---Shake it.

I don't want to be an apologist if in fact Randy has disrespected Mark Few at the end of games. I was not aware of this but obviously many of you feel it is a problem. If true, I would consider it to be a negative character issue on RB. I don't know RB personally so I can't comment of how he feels about whatever. I will mention one thing.

I had the WCC semi-final game taped from last March, SMC and the Zags. FWIW, after the game RB and Few shook hands and chatted briefly. That was the last time they played each other so maybe this will continue.

jpwils
01-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Shake it Randy---Shake it.

I don't want to be an apologist if in fact Randy has disrespected Mark Few at the end of games. I was not aware of this but obviously many of you feel it is a problem. If true, I would consider it to be a negative character issue on RB. I don't know RB personally so I can't comment of how he feels about whatever. I will mention one thing.

I had the WCC semi-final game taped from last March, SMC and the Zags. FWIW, after the game RB and Few shook hands and chatted briefly. That was the last time they played each other so maybe this will continue.

Zags will be slightly up @ halftime-45-42.

Waldo will get in foul trouble and SMC will be exposed underneath.

Naar has good game for SMC -Wesley has good game for GU. ( 18 points)

Pangos hits four 3 balls-Zags win by 12.

All others will play a solid game for GU. all hands on deck- we will need a full effort from all players.

Salsageek
01-19-2015, 10:00 AM
I just came back from the future...

Was in Woohoo's dream world hanging out with Francis eating Tacos & watching the game.
GU 77 - St Fairies 66 Book it!

TheZagPhish
01-19-2015, 11:33 AM
I just came back from the future...

Was in Woohoo's dream world hanging out with Francis eating Tacos & watching the game.

Whoa! That's a fun morning!

rennis
01-19-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm not one to underestimate Randy B., or the Gaels in general, but this team feels like a paper tiger to me. All that jazz about scrappy play and all in the other thread is cute, but on the other hand the Gaels don't really have many quality wins, and were one or two buckets away from losing 5 games in a row in December. They're playing well in January so far, but are due for a market correction in my opinion.

They only put 47 points on the board against Saint Johns. They have a win over Creighton but Creighton is ABYSMAL in conference this year (0-6)

I don't know about this one Gaels fans...Waldow plays out of his mind and you have a chance at keeping it close. I don't see him getting his averages in this game though. I smell a whippin', Zags are due to put a hurt on somebody.

Bulldogs 88
SMC 65

TheZagPhish
01-19-2015, 11:37 AM
I think the game will be really tough for the Zags and more physical all around.

If the zebras slow this thing down then I think it gets closer than anyone would like, and if Karno and Dontmiss are in foul trouble on top of that then the final is tight with a Zag win.

OTOH, if they let 'em play and bang then I think the Zags skunk the Gaels by 18.

rennis
01-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Oh, forgot to say - SMC will have no answer for Wiltjer. None. I could see him dropping 25 points in this game if he gets going early.

RenoZag
01-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Brad Waldow has yet to be part of a winning squad in the Mac.

I predict he'll go "oh - for - Spokane" in his Gaels career.

Zags 75
Gaels 66

Bogozags
01-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Hey it's only Monday and bet this thread reaches 130+ unless it is closed...

N E way...I've watched SMC play maybe 10-11 games this season...I like them and root for them anytime they are not playing us and BYU...

GU wins this game because Waldo is a non-issue vs PK...he cannot push PK nor will he be able to get those baby hooks coming across the middle and the baseline...well he won't get them little underhand lay-ups on the right side either...it is going to be tough for him to score...

Simmons will find his hands full trying to defend KW...and will be frustrated on offence as well and if DS is in the game with PK...well it isn't going to be pretty that way either...if we play a zone, he might be able to score from the FT line but he normally just passes out and doesn't look to shoot.

Jackson has been shooting the ball from three land much, much better BUT he will be playing against one of his "old PAC buddies" in Wesley who is pretty quick and aggressive...he shouldn't be getting too many 3pt looks because GU will not have to double down on Waldo...and forgot to mention KD who I guess will also be defending him when Byron isn't in the game...

Bright (didn't GU recruit him) is a very heady basketball player and loved the comment he transferred "up" to SMC to get his Masters...I like his game but think he will have a much more difficult time of penetrating with Pangos/Melson guarding him...both KP and Bright will be an important match...Naar will also be important when Bright goes to the bench...believe KP's defence will be ample to control both players...

Carter (my opinion of him changed somewhat last evening when he and Haws both went down and he tried to help Haws up BUT the BYU player would not allow him to help...Carter showed me something I didn't think he had in him-Good Sportsmanship) will have GBjr guarding him most of the time (depending on how fouls are whistled) and this will disrupt his offence output...he just won't be open as much...again because GU won't have to double down on Waldo...

Pineau is a decent sub for Waldo but so far he isn't a scorer and will have a hard time defending either PK or DS...don't think he will be a factor on defence or offence...

Hermanson has a decent shot from 3pt land but he isn't going to get many looks when he does get into the game...I believe he will be playing more than usual just because of the foul issues I expect Simmons and Jackson will experience.

Landale is a talented freshman but will have serious issues playing against GU's front line...just too skilled and strong inside...

GU dominates this game...SMC shoots in the mid-low 30's from the field GU has a +10 rebound advantage...GU is just too skilled and deep for this to be a close game...

We score in the 80's and SMC struggles to get into the 60's...

zag buddy
01-19-2015, 12:36 PM
I think coach Bennett does an outstanding job considering all the negatives he has to work with - school location, gym, etc. With the addition of Pepperdines new coach and the nba coach at LMU I believe within the next couple years the WCC will be a force to reckoned with. As far as bennett's handshakes, after an emotionally charged battle it takes some of us hours to calm down and be gracious. Oh bye the way fellow Zag fans, there is nothing wrong in respecting your opponent even like and admire them. You can still want to beat the s### out of them.

Nevada Don
01-19-2015, 12:42 PM

N E way...I've watched SMC play maybe 10-11 games this season...I like them and root for them anytime they are not playing us and BYU...

GU wins this game because Waldo is a non-issue vs PK...he cannot push PK nor will he be able to get those baby hooks coming across the middle and the baseline...well he won't get them little underhand lay-ups on the right side either...it is going to be tough for him to score...

Simmons will find his hands full trying to defend KW...and will be frustrated on offence as well and if DS is in the game with PK...well it isn't going to be pretty that way either...if we play a zone, he might be able to score from the FT line but he normally just passes out and doesn't look to shoot.

Jackson has been shooting the ball from three land much, much better BUT he will be playing against one of his "old PAC buddies" in Wesley who is pretty quick and aggressive...he shouldn't be getting too many 3pt looks because GU will not have to double down on Waldo...and forgot to mention KD who I guess will also be defending him when Byron isn't in the game...

Bright (didn't GU recruit him) is a very heady basketball player and loved the comment he transferred "up" to SMC to get his Masters...I like his game but think he will have a much more difficult time of penetrating with Pangos/Melson guarding him...both KP and Bright will be an important match...Naar will also be important when Bright goes to the bench...believe KP's defence will be ample to control both players...

Carter (my opinion of him changed somewhat last evening when he and Haws both went down and he tried to help Haws up BUT the BYU player would not allow him to help...Carter showed me something I didn't think he had in him-Good Sportsmanship) will have GBjr guarding him most of the time (depending on how fouls are whistled) and this will disrupt his offence output...he just won't be open as much...again because GU won't have to double down on Waldo...

Pineau is a decent sub for Waldo but so far he isn't a scorer and will have a hard time defending either PK or DS...don't think he will be a factor on defence or offence...

Hermanson has a decent shot from 3pt land but he isn't going to get many looks when he does get into the game...I believe he will be playing more than usual just because of the foul issues I expect Simmons and Jackson will experience.

Landale is a talented freshman but will have serious issues playing against GU's front line...just too skilled and strong inside...

GU dominates this game...SMC shoots in the mid-low 30's from the field GU has a +10 rebound advantage...GU is just too skilled and deep for this to be a close game...

We score in the 80's and SMC struggles to get into the 60's...

"So you're saying there's a chance"?

HenneZag
01-19-2015, 01:22 PM
ZigZags 77

Other Guys 73

Carter is a gritty aggressive player on both ends of the floor, i like his game.

Waldo is a handful but will have to battle Karn.

Both teams come to play but I see this game tight.

Zagdawg
01-19-2015, 01:38 PM
There is always a chance......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

TheZagPhish
01-19-2015, 01:57 PM
I know we're always trying to take Ws from SMC, but his last name is "Waldow (http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204999953&)".

:cheers:

Nevada Don
01-19-2015, 02:29 PM
I know we're always trying to take Ws from SMC, but his last name is "Waldow (http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204999953&)".

:cheers:

Rim shot. Not that one, the other one.
Good line Phish.

MickMick
01-19-2015, 06:35 PM
I have never personally witnessed a GU loss.

Just snagged some tickets. Excellent seats as well.

To clarify, I mean this as a good omen as opposed to an expectation of a loss.

I hope the place is rockin.

MBAGael
01-19-2015, 06:56 PM
There is always a chance......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxAWhen Waldow lost his tooth, he kind of looked like Jim Carrey there so there is a chance!:adored:

RenoZag
01-19-2015, 09:57 PM

I will rest easier with that assurance.

RenoZag
01-19-2015, 10:00 PM

Best thing I've read all day.

bigblahla
01-20-2015, 12:25 AM
Every match-up favors Gonzaga....this game is only close at the start once the Zags establish a 5 pt lead the Gaels may get close but they will never get in front....I expect a double digit win and would say by over 15pts but Coach will substitute at the end allowing the victory margin to shrink....

Go!! Zags!!!

strikenowhere
01-20-2015, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I've caught a couple of games of St. Mary's this year and I haven't been impressed. Their win vs. BYU was nice, but BYU just didn't have an answer for Waldow inside and when they double-teamed him the perimeter offense kicked in. I expect this to be 20+ point win. Waldow is really the only big time scoring threat they have and between Karno & Sabonis alternating defending him he's going to have another bad game against the Zags. As has been pointed out before, without the need to double-team him due to our inside defense, the rest of the Gaels will be hard pressed to find open shots that they can hit.

WallaWallaZag
01-20-2015, 06:00 AM
while the zags are certainly capable of beating smc by 20+ i really don't think anyone should be anticipating this to be the outcome...afterall, the zags didn't even beat lmu by 20 and have a tendency to let up after getting out to a big lead.

mtnZag
01-20-2015, 06:08 AM
Oh, I thought Delly was pretty cool.

strikenowhere
01-20-2015, 06:18 AM
while the zags are certainly capable of beating smc by 20+ i really don't think anyone should be anticipating this to be the outcome...afterall, the zags didn't even beat lmu by 20 and have a tendency to let up after getting out to a big lead.

While its true they didn't beat LMU by that much, they were also on the road. This is the first game back home with the students back from break; the team will be very pumped to put their collective feet on the necks of St. Mary's.

DixieZag
01-20-2015, 06:23 AM
Oh, I thought Delly was pretty cool.

Nothing but respect for Delly

gonzagafan62
01-20-2015, 07:22 AM
Nothing but respect for Delly

I enjoyed Delly, Simpson, Mills, Levesque, and Waldow. All these guys were so fun to watch. The only one I really didn't like was Samhan.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-20-2015, 07:37 AM
While its true they didn't beat LMU by that much, they were also on the road. This is the first game back home with the students back from break; the team will be very pumped to put their collective feet on the necks of St. Mary's.

One of the many reasons I'm looking forward to this game is to see how Zags handle a team that will try to out tough them and push them around. That strategy may help the Zags not 'let up' and keep the pedal to the metal for a 20+ point victory. I also think Waldow will bring out the best in Karno, and I'm looking forward to seeing Bell/Carter go at it.

Reborn
01-20-2015, 08:43 AM

Have a great time Mick Mick. I'm sure the Kennel will be rockin. I too feel good that you'll be there.

Go Zags!!!

zagsmyboys
01-20-2015, 09:20 AM
As always....we will get St.Mary's best shot, just like we do with EVERY other WCC conference game. When you watch the other conference teams play against each other...its VERY mediocre compared to when they play Gonzaga. The Zags will win by at least 10. I have to agree though...when we go down to Morocco, it may be a different story....we will win by 8 ;-) GO ZAGS!!!!

zag buddy
01-20-2015, 11:44 AM
I expect it to be a highly contested game and a very close final score.

kitzbuel
01-20-2015, 11:50 AM
I enjoyed Delly, Simpson, Mills, Levesque, and Waldow. All these guys were so fun to watch. The only one I really didn't like was Samhan.

One think I liked about Samham is that he made it easy to hate SMC. He reveled in the SMC-GU rivalry. He made SMC confident enough in themselves to handle a full-blown competitive animosity. They didn't need GU's affirmation.

Zagdawg
01-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Gotta agree on Samham-- in Vegas for the WCC tournament when our student section started the cheer during warmups -- "Spokane Hates You" towards him-- he calmly took a step or two towards the student section and gave them the "you are #1" finger without any hesitation.

The young man had a special love for the Zags-- and the Zags reciprocated.

zag buddy
01-20-2015, 12:32 PM
I totally enjoyed Samhan. He had the best sense of humor of any player I've seen. Unfortunately he was on an opposing team. Also I admired him for taking himself from a very chubby freshman into a very competitive player.

DixieZag
01-20-2015, 12:49 PM
Gotta agree on Samham-- in Vegas for the WCC tournament when our student section started the cheer during warmups -- "Spokane Hates You" towards him-- he calmly took a step or two towards the student section and gave them the "you are #1" finger without any hesitation.

The young man had a special love for the Zags-- and the Zags reciprocated.

I actually would not condone that kind of response. However, I did like that he wanted to be hated (likely jacked him up for games) and yes, we did oblige. So, in that sense he was good for a true rivalry, but that is pretty bush league. If he had just taken a bow, that might be cool.

Most Gaels just play hard and be pissed when they lose. McConnel beat us at home (and we knew it would happen as he took it down the court b/c he'd made everything else that game), I thought he had as good a performance for anyone not wearing a Michigan State jersey to ever play in our place.

jazzdelmar
01-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Samhan played in the Sweet Sixteen more recently than Gonzaga did. Just saying.

Zag 77
01-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Boy, he seems to not be at peace with himself and seems to be irritated with life, just watching his body language. Has he tried Preparation H?

gonzagafan62
01-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Samhan played in the Sweet Sixteen more recently than Gonzaga did. Just saying.
Couple more months and this is irrelevant

:D

23dpg
01-20-2015, 01:11 PM
I totally enjoyed Samhan. He had the best sense of humor of any player I've seen. Unfortunately he was on an opposing team. Also I admired him for taking himself from a very chubby freshman into a very competitive player.

+1

jazzdelmar
01-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Couple more months and this is irrelevant

:D

well, for one thing, omar's not gonna be walking through that gym door.

Zagdawg
01-20-2015, 02:18 PM
The funny thing-- Omar is playing in the NBA D League -- same as our own David Stockton-- but Stockton is averaging 17.5 pts 3.7 boards and 8.5 assists-- while Samhan is averaging 1.4 points, 1.9 boards and .5 assists -- hmmmm who would have thunk it.

Zagger
01-20-2015, 02:32 PM
The funny thing-- Omar is playing in the NBA D League -- same as our own David Stockton-- but Stockton is averaging 17.5 pts 3.7 boards and 8.5 assists-- while Samhan is averaging 1.4 points, 1.9 boards and .5 assists -- hmmmm who would have thunk it.

Wow - Stockton's doing pretty well! Good for him!

MJGoGaels
01-20-2015, 03:02 PM

Go Zags!!!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400587306
I knew somebody would go for the red herring. Winder's production was easily replaced by Halford who started in Winder's place, and an increase in production by Fischer. Naturally, any team is better with more depth but to say Halford and Fischer didn't more than cover the void left by Winder's absence is not correct. I think the box reflects the production and efficiency, but play it as you want. BYU absolutely needed to hold serve with two loses already and they played tough but just couldn't contain Waldow and didn't figure on Jackson. Having your two starting guards go 2-14 and win... pretty good team play by the Gaels even if in McKeon.

MJGoGaels
01-20-2015, 03:13 PM

I do agree in general that RB has not scheduled as many marque games as GU. This is always a reoccuring theme with your point of view. But this season, I think the road games against St. John's and Creighton were respectable with a 1-1 outcome. If you did not read or see the St. John's game, just think of the Packers vs. Seahawks, NFC championship game. Gaels cruising by 18-20 points in the first half and then proceed to just give it away. It was embarrassing but that's sports and college basketball some days.

I can't be critical with RB's results and scheduling. He's doing an amazing job coaching up a bunch of new players in his system. Frankly, if the Gaels finish first or second, he's coach of the year, notwithstanding Marty Wilson at Pepperdine.

sullyzag66
01-20-2015, 04:47 PM
He had his moments. (http://youtu.be/OZUKLfVDDZY)

DixieZag
01-20-2015, 04:57 PM
I do agree in general that RB has not scheduled as many marque games as GU. This is always a reoccuring theme with your point of view. But this season, I think the road games against St. John's and Creighton were respectable with a 1-1 outcome. If you did not read or see the St. John's game, just think of the Packers vs. Seahawks, NFC championship game. Gaels cruising by 18-20 points in the first half and then proceed to just give it away. It was embarrassing but that's sports and college basketball some days.

I can't be critical with RB's results and scheduling. He's doing an amazing job coaching up a bunch of new players in his system. Frankly, if the Gaels finish first or second, he's coach of the year, notwithstanding Marty Wilson at Pepperdine.

Thank you for the posts and welcome back.

zag67
01-20-2015, 05:52 PM
I would also agree that if Wilson (Pepperdine) ends up 2 or 3 in league, then he deserves it.

maynard g krebs
01-20-2015, 06:10 PM
Zags 78-64.

Baseline
01-20-2015, 08:21 PM
I'm hoping for a very physical game from SMC to see how GU responds. When they get into the tournament they will run into very physical teams, so the SMC response will be a good indicator or their response and if this is an issue or not.
I think GU has played well in the physical games, so I expect a good response and outcome, but a good test never the less.

Zippyzaggy
01-20-2015, 09:22 PM
A St. Mary's game preview- http://www.zagaholic.com/2015/01/gonzaga-vs-st-marys-another-battle-for.html

CDC84
01-20-2015, 09:24 PM
I think we'll see a double digit loss for SMC unless they manage to get Karnowski in foul trouble.

Obviously, if this game were being played in Moraga, I wouldn't have the same viewpoint.

Zippyzaggy
01-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Zags 78-64.

Too close..... Zags 85-SMC 69 :)

* will not be sleeping tonight, too psyched!

Robzagnut
01-21-2015, 05:19 AM
Unless Karnowski gets into foul trouble, I predict a 12-15 point win for the home team. The SMC offense is too reliant on Waldo for scoring and he has not played well in prior match ups against Karno. If Karnowski gets into foul trouble, this could be a very uncomfortable night for us.

I watched the SMC - BYU game and BYU had no answer for Waldo. He carried SMC.

If Karno picks up 2 quick ticky-tack fouls then I'll know the fix is on, because no one shuts down Waldo like Karno. If Karno sits then GU wins by 4 or 5. If not, GU wins by 12+.

Reborn
01-21-2015, 05:23 AM
I love rivalries. They're the best games during conference play. And it's quite OK to hate a team. Remember! It's only a game. It's entertainment, and for me the best kind. St. Mary's is a pretty good team, but I really like our chances against them tomorrow. I believe St. Mary's will play well, but not well enough to beat our Zags. And, excuse me, I continue to believe that we will beat them by double digits. Gonzaga is better this year. This may be our best team ever, and as good as St Mary's is, this is not their best team ever. I put my faith in Pangos and Bell, In Wiltjer and Wesley, in Mt Karno and Sabonis, and in Dranginis and Melson. I love these guys, and I know they will be ready, and they're going to make a statement to St. Mary's.....IMO

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

gonzagafan62
01-21-2015, 05:53 AM
I watched the SMC - BYU game and BYU had no answer for Waldo. He carried SMC.

If Karno picks up 2 quick ticky-tack fouls then I'll know the fix is on, because no one shuts down Waldo like Karno. If Karno sits then GU wins by 4 or 5. If not, GU wins by 12+.

The fix? Really? Maybe you'll just be ...?

Go! Zags!

Zagger
01-21-2015, 06:32 AM
I love rivalries. They're the best games during conference play......
The only down side is no Bulldog Club member tickets available this week - drat! Time to organize a get together of friends and family around the flat screen - at least for Saturday's Pacific game. Might just try nabbing a table @ Jack & Dan's tomorrow. I envy all you fans that are going to the SMC game. The place will be rocking! Go Zags!
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/gozagstinysignguyglassescolor.png

77Zag
01-21-2015, 07:36 AM
I'm taking the Zags by 14

Zags 74
Gaels 60

I think even if Karno gets in foul trouble, Sabonis will impress and take care of Waldo.

Go Zags - Beat the Gaels!!

Robzagnut
01-21-2015, 07:47 AM
The fix? Really? Maybe you'll just be ...?

Go! Zags!

- See Ronny Turiaf against Nevada, NCAA tournament.

Mr Vulture
01-21-2015, 09:12 AM
I predict that Gonzaga comes out and plays the best game they've played in league all year. I think St Marys is a reflection of their schedule and playing 75% of their games at home. I anticipate that Zags win this one 84-65 in the Kennel.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-21-2015, 09:25 AM

Haven't we humiliated them by 30+ in Moraga the last 2 years and won like 7 out of our last 8 there overall?

DixieZag
01-21-2015, 09:27 AM
Haven't we humiliated them by 30+ in Moraga the last 2 years and won like 7 out of our last 8 there overall?

And, they might well have had a better team those years. We're stronger than last year.

WallaWallaZag
01-21-2015, 09:34 AM

I can't be critical with RB's results and scheduling. He's doing an amazing job coaching up a bunch of new players in his system.

if i was a gael fan i don't see how you can NOT be critical of rb's scheduling this year???...if you guys are unable to beat gonzaga, it will be 50/50 on making the tournament and you probably need to go undefeated against everyone else including sweeping byu. you guys played maybe 2 teams that have a realistic chance of making the tournament, northeastern and st.john's -- and you won't get NCAA credit for needing to go OT at home against NE (a good team, but still a Colonial conference team). you only played 2 legit rpi games (boise st. / sju) and lost both and boise will likely keep dropping with drmic done.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Zags dominate and get out to a 15+ point lead in the 1st half, then the refs try to keep SMC close (cheap fouls on Gary and Karno to give Waldow a chance) and we end up winning by 12. Good win over a good team.

Zags 80
SMC 68

gonzagafan62
01-21-2015, 09:40 AM
if i was a gael fan i don't see how you can NOT be critical of rb's scheduling this year???...if you guys are unable to beat gonzaga, it will be 50/50 on making the tournament and you probably need to go undefeated against everyone else including sweeping byu. you guys played maybe 2 teams that have a realistic chance of making the tournament, northeastern and st.john's -- and you won't get NCAA credit for needing to go OT at home against NE (a good team, but still a Colonial conference team).

Their non conference is bad every year, they rely on strong league play to get them to the dance. Apparently, they are having a hard time scheduling hard games at home. I don't believe they like to go on the road much which is plum silly. I could be wrong about that last statement but I really do believe they want more home and homes. Which they aren't going to get from tougher competition. They really just need to go out on the road and play hard teams. Whether or not you only go 2-5 or whatever in those games, it really REALLY helps boost the conference. A LOT!

If these teams would just go schedule the tough teams even on the road, (which in case is probably still really hard especially with the bottomfeeders) the RPI would rise dramatically. It would help everyone. I think this is what is really holding the conference back year after year in national perception. Please find a way and play tough games. Gonzaga and BYU do their part.

BULLDOG#1
01-21-2015, 10:06 AM
Their non conference is bad every year, they rely on strong league play to get them to the dance. Apparently, they are having a hard time scheduling hard games at home. I don't believe they like to go on the road much which is plum silly. I could be wrong about that last statement but I really do believe they want more home and homes. Which they aren't going to get from tougher competition. They really just need to go out on the road and play hard teams. Whether or not you only go 2-5 or whatever in those games, it really REALLY helps boost the conference. A LOT!

If these teams would just go schedule the tough teams even on the road, (which in case is probably still really hard especially with the bottomfeeders) the RPI would rise dramatically. It would help everyone. I think this is what is really holding the conference back year after year in national perception. Please find a way and play tough games. Gonzaga and BYU do their part.

GU didn't get home-and-home series with the likes of UCLA, Arizona, Memphis, etc. without playing on the road for years. Cal and Stanford would likely offer a home game to SMC, but they aren't willing to travel to Moraga. Bennett needs to realize this and go on the road. I'd respect a tight loss against Cal in Berkley more than a cupcake win in Moraga. I suspect the selection committee would, too.

SMC's schedule this year is actually a lot better than prior years (on road at creighton and johnnies), but still falls short. Seems each year, the Gaels tourney hopes hang on taking a game from GU... that's really poor scheduling.

Bennett has built a nice program there, but it's not going to fulfill potential with the way they schedule. A guy like Waldow deserves better. The mentality of racking up wins against lesser opponents in the OOC never made sense to me -- especially in a conference like the WCC, where a top tier team is going to rack up those same cupcake wins in conference.

I don't have a great deal of respect for Bennett (mostly because of his scheduling) but I have great respect for some of the players that have come out of there. Waldow is tough. Delly was a stud. Mills extremely talented. Samhan? -- well, can't like them all.

Good luck SMC, I'd wish you were in the tourney if it didn't mean a zags loss at your hands. Don't drop any more games in conference and win convincingly in Provo and cross your fingers.

DixieZag
01-21-2015, 10:08 AM
I've often wondered why they didn't have a "Bay Area Challenge" where SCU- SMC - STan - Cal play at a venue like the Oakland Coliseum or the San Jose arena and they do a switch off where both WCC play the two Pac teams but no games between both PAC or WCC

seacatfan
01-21-2015, 10:26 AM
To be fair, I believe the Pac 12 Bay Area schools have not been particularly willing to play the nearby WCC schools. Might be my imagination, but I'm fairly sure I've heard that more than once.

seacatfan
01-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Agree with several others. Many feel this is GU's best team ever, I don't see this St. Mary's team being close to their best ever (compare to a team with Mills, Samhan and Simpson, for example). GU has almost always handled St. Mary's in Spokane, no reason whatsoever to expect otherwise for this match up.

seacatfan
01-21-2015, 10:32 AM
- See Ronny Turiaf against Nevada, NCAA tournament.

At least 2 of the fouls were absolute phantom calls, no contact at all. I was at that game. That was so frustrating. The refs absolutely neutralized Ronny. He couldn't have played more than 10 minutes total before fouling out. Between that and Stepp being ice cold (yet continuing to chuck shots all game long), one of the worst games I've ever watched.

Zagceo
01-21-2015, 11:00 AM
I've often wondered why they didn't have a "Bay Area Challenge" where SCU- SMC - STan - Cal play at a venue like the Oakland Coliseum or the San Jose arena and they do a switch off where both WCC play the two Pac teams but no games between both PAC or WCC

Some might use the reason(excuse) of recruiting ……..I say do it just to engage the Alumni and local fans.

bartruff1
01-21-2015, 12:46 PM
Every match-up favors Gonzaga....this game is only close at the start once the Zags establish a 5 pt lead the Gaels may get close but they will never get in front....I expect a double digit win and would say by over 15pts but Coach will substitute at the end allowing the victory margin to shrink....

Go!! Zags!!!

Yup...no problem at the Kennel...easy peasey...

TheGonzagaFactor
01-21-2015, 12:47 PM

Because the crowds for such games would probably fit in McKeon or Leavey. At most, one of those 4 teams is relevant in any given year. Empty seats galore.

cjm720
01-21-2015, 12:50 PM
At least 2 of the fouls were absolute phantom calls, no contact at all. I was at that game. That was so frustrating. The refs absolutely neutralized Ronny. He couldn't have played more than 10 minutes total before fouling out. Between that and Stepp being ice cold (yet continuing to chuck shots all game long), one of the worst games I've ever watched.

Like the other game that will not be mentioned, can we never mention the Nevada game again ? :)

BULLDOG#1
01-21-2015, 01:02 PM
At most, one of those 4 teams is relevant in any given year.

One team at MOST? I'd say at most all four. Average year 2-3 are relevant. Both Stanford and SMC are pretty good this year. Both 'could' make the tournament. Plus, Cal and Stanford have great alum, they'd fill some seats.

gonzagafan62
01-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Because the crowds for such games would probably fit in McKeon or Leavey. At most, one of those 4 teams is relevant in any given year. Empty seats galore.

HUH? One of Cal and Stanford has been in the tournament each of the last 5 years. And I can't really remember past that, but those two schools always have at least decent squads. Their alumnus travels well too, especially if its only right down the street. I think you underestimate their fanbase big time. Santa Clara is a different stroke, but Saint Mary's is always relevant too, so I don't understand what you are saying at all.

rennis
01-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Like the other game that will not be mentioned, can we never mention the Nevada game again ? :)

I'm going to put a recurring appointment on your Outlook calendar to discuss the Nevada game. Probably weekly. Stand by.

ZagsGoZags
01-21-2015, 04:50 PM
game gets close in 4th quarter
zags win by 6

maynard g krebs
01-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Cal and Stanford would likely offer a home game to SMC, but they aren't willing to travel to Moraga.

That looks like an assumption. Got anything to back it up? My guess would be that this isn't true, but of course I don't know any more about it than you do. SMC, even on the road, is a dangerous opponent for either of those teams, but not considered a marquee win nationally. Stanford just played UConn in a nonconf home game; they don't need St Mary's on the sched, neither does Cal.

BULLDOG#1
01-21-2015, 05:25 PM
That looks like an assumption. Got anything to back it up? My guess would be that this isn't true, but of course I don't know any more about it than you do. SMC, even on the road, is a dangerous opponent for either of those teams, but not considered a marquee win nationally. Stanford just played UConn in a nonconf home game; they don't need St Mary's on the sched, neither does Cal.

Yep, you're right. It's an assumption. You make good points here. I was thinking that the Bay Area would want the matchup, but I'm not sure it would exactly be marquee beyond the core fan bases of each team.
Still, I think Bennett should push for it. Even the Husky's couldn't dodge the zags forever. And the cougs play the zags every year, even though it mostly results in a loss for them.

webspinnre
01-21-2015, 05:34 PM
Even the Husky's couldn't dodge the zags forever. And the cougs play the zags every year, even though it mostly results in a loss for them.

This portion isn't a great comparison. There are a lot of demographic/political type issues associated with zags/huskies that wouldn't be present. First, Spokane is much bigger than Moraga, and there's more value in Gonzaga being Spokane's college team than SMC being Moraga's college team. Second, there are a large number of Huskies in Spokane, and a good-sized number of Zags in Seattle, and a clear view of Gonzaga and UW as being the state's two top teams. SMC doesn't have any of that going for it vis-a-vis Cal, through now fault of their own. When there are claims made that UW is dodging GU, people are actually interested in that as being an issue, while hardly anyone in the Bay Area cares that Cal isn't playing SMC. Unfortunately Cal and Stanford just don't have much to gain by playing SMC, particularly in Moraga. SMC is just in a tough spot when it comes to scheduling local/regional power 5 teams.

Nevada Don
01-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Cal and Stanford supposedly will not give SMC a home and home. Randy apparently will not accept just a one and done at their place. Most everybody senses that Cal and Stanford feel that they have nothing to gain by playing SMC. However, SMC has been the best team overall in the Bay Area and Northern California for several years. True basketball fans know this. Casual snobbish Pac 12 folk dismiss us out of hand. I am sure that Gonzaga faced the same issues with Pac 10 schools in the past.

RenoZag
01-21-2015, 07:19 PM

and still counting. Beat the Gaels!

Hoopaholic
01-21-2015, 07:27 PM
game gets close in 4th quarter
zags win by 6

that brought back memories 4 quarters wow

Reborn
01-22-2015, 03:00 PM
It's Game Day, the best day of the week. And tonight we may be playing the best game of the year. Students will be back, and K 2 will be rocking. Looking to see our Ninja Shooters hitting bulls-eyes tonight. I can hardly wait for the game. 4 and a half hours. Hope to see Pangos lead the way.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Nevada Don
01-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Good luck Zags. I hope both teams play well. No injuries mates.

RenoZag
01-22-2015, 03:23 PM

Indeed. Both need healthy horses the rest of the way

abarefootboy
01-22-2015, 04:13 PM
out of the blue .. i mean .. cold n'gray .. an angel descended upon my life today ..
i said " what's happening baby ? " ... gosh .. she was shimmery cute in that ephemeral way of hers.
she answered...
" .. i have two tickets to see the zags play the gaels tonight .. i'll throw in a vip tour of the place including the locker rooms before the game ~ with complimentary hors d'oeuvres .. how much do you like me ? "
i said .. " hmmmmm ok .. i think i'm feelin' friendly towards you .. but .. can we go to the library after we kick their butts .. cause i'm in an existential groove and i'll need to read some Sartre later honey. "

Zagceo
01-22-2015, 05:05 PM

No worries mate! Good luck and may the Gaels bus make it to the MAC on time!

Too be continued………

NumberCruncher
01-22-2015, 05:32 PM

Good on ya.

kyle dixon
01-22-2015, 05:41 PM
I like the Zags by ten tonight. Worry about the Gaels down at chiles as well. Tough place for them to play.

bballbeachbum
01-22-2015, 06:14 PM
yehow! fun thread to read thru just now

nothing like this game to get everyone out and smacking. great to see, love the excitement, the energy, the mutual respect and distaste

I predict a physical battle, the typical grabbing and holding and shoving when St. Mary's is on the floor.

Zagceo
01-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Domas has banged up thumb? per Few on radio did I hear that correct?

Nevada Don
01-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Congratulations Zags. You done good!!!

seacatfan
01-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Zags only played well for about 10 minutes and still totally blew the Gaels out. St. Mary's did not impress me at all. Waldow hurt the Zags early but then kinda disappeared, and nobody else did much of anything. I'm sure it'll be a different story in Moraga, but I expect St. Mary's to lose several more road games before the season is over.

dan71w
01-22-2015, 09:10 PM
well 20+ never doubted our win.

FGZagDad
01-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Waldow had a good start, good moves and a gamer. That was it though for Mary's. Our defense ticked up in the second half and basically shut down their guards. I' m not sure Mary's will have any answers when we travel to Moraga and while it might be closer I think a sweep is in order....heck I couldn't believe the spread, but then I look at the result. It's uphill now for Marys to finish 2nd in league.