PDA

View Full Version : Our 3 "Bigs"

Marcus
01-18-2015, 09:25 AM
I can't think of a team with a more diverse, well balanced rotation of three bigs. They're all different but mesh really well with each other.

You have Karnowski, the anchor, who can block shots and score, and is an incredible passer. Anytime you can run your offence through your 7'1" center and trust he'll make the right decision to pass or shoot, it's a luxury that not many teams have.

Than you have Wiltjer and his amazing scoring and shooting. He is a threat from anywhere on the floor. He's so smooth out there and his post game has come so far. He's also a great passer and great at making the extra pass. I know a few have been down on his D, but his post D has been really good. He rarely gets beat one on one going to the basket and even has blocked a few shots.

Finally, there is Dontmiss Sabonis. His motor is relentless and his rebounding has been something the Zags have been missing for a few years. The way he chases down rebounds is so fun to watch. And his hands are unreal. His ability to catch the tough ones in traffic and get his shot off smoothly has been great. He's also the most athletic of the three, the dunk he had in transition yesterday was huge.

Going forward, this three headed monster will keep giving opposing coaches headaches because you have to game plan differentley to defend all three. Come March this will be a key to success. The better they play the less pressure on the backcourt too. I love this group.

TheZagPhish
01-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Right there with you, Marcus. We really look unique in college ball, at least to my admittedly biased eyes. But not even Kentucky with its much bandied platoon system looks as modular and cohesive as the Zags.

zag buddy
01-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Well said Marcus. Their diversity allows for so man different type sets. My hope is that Nunez can execute his role in the near future. Also looking at Ryan Edwards on the sidelines, he appears to be losing his baby fat and gaining a more athletic physic. We are indeed fortunate.

Marcus
01-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Well said Marcus. Their diversity allows for so man different type sets. My hope is that Nunez can execute his role in the near future. Also looking at Ryan Edwards on the sidelines, he appears to be losing his baby fat and gaining a more athletic physic. We are indeed fortunate.

If Angel could get up to speed, he offers something different to the mix as well. He is like a 3/4 hybrid and with his athleticism and great first step, he could be an awesome piece. Having an athletic slasher at the 4 spot is a great weapon. Unfortunately, I think that the only way we could see this happen is if he gets his year back. Next year, with the 4 of them plus Ryan, the future is bright.

zag67
01-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Well stated. They are fun to watch and our guards are getting them the ball and know that they will get it back for good shots. Sabonis is fun to watch near the hoop.

NumberCruncher
01-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Here are their combined stats:

59.9% shooting
45.6% 3 point shooting
67.8% free throw shooting
1.47 points per shot

Per-40-minute averages:
20.8 points
9.8 rebounds
2.3 assists
2.4 turnovers