PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs LMU: Post Game Thoughts

Reborn
01-17-2015, 10:26 PM
A nice 17 point victory which, at times, seemed like it was too close. This time it was the guards who did the scoring. It was nice to see Gary have a good game; as well as seeing Kevin and Gary playing so well at the same time. Wesley and Wiltjer both played well too. Wesley was hitting those 3's tonight. The Zags made 10 three's so you know I was happy. They shot 53% from the field and 45% from behind the arc. They were much improved at the foul line making 12-16 for 75%.

I enjoyed the game a lot. Nice to see Pangos and Bell play so well the second half. And really nice to see Bell finally begin to get his confidence....Amen! I was not impressed with our mop up crew and especially Nunez. I do not like how he's been playing lately.

I can feel relaxed finally for a few days. Glad to get this road trip over with. I'm tired of seeing our guys on the road. Thank God they will be home for 2 weeks now. Now we get to get ready for St Mary's. I am really really looking forward to that game. I saw them play BYU tonight...More about them next week.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

mainer6
01-17-2015, 11:14 PM
Reborn,
Thanks for the recap. Well written and detailed enough to cover the significant elements. I didn't see the game and your post was the first I heard of the win. Just wanted to say that I appreciated hearing your take on it first.
Go Zags!

A nice 17 point victory which, at times, seemed like it was too close. This time it was the guards who did the scoring. It was nice to see Gary have a good game; as well as seeing Kevin and Gary playing so well at the same time. Wesley and Wiltjer both played well too. Wesley was hitting those 3's tonight. The Zags made 10 three's so you know I was happy. They shot 53% from the field and 45% from behind the arc. They were much improved at the foul line making 12-16 for 75%.

I enjoyed the game a lot. Nice to see Pangos and Bell play so well the second half. And really nice to see Bell finally begin to get his confidence....Amen! I was not impressed with our mop up crew and especially Nunez. I do not like how he's been playing lately.

I can feel relaxed finally for a few days. Glad to get this road trip over with. I'm tired of seeing our guys on the road. Thank God they will be home for 2 weeks now. Now we get to get ready for St Mary's. I am really really looking forward to that game. I saw them play BYU tonight...More about them next week.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Zagger
01-17-2015, 11:54 PM
Nice to see 3 seniors lead in scoring! Wonder what the record is for the most amount of Zags scoring in double figures per game? Would be nice to break it this season (whatever it is).

WallaWallaZag
01-18-2015, 04:53 AM
was closer than it should have been as zags continued their habit of letting teams come back in the 2nd half on the road...game was never in doubt, but that is more a reflection of how bad lmu is and not the zags level of play.

zags also got out-rebounded for the first time all season i believe...gave up a lot of offensive boards.

best part of the game for me was seeing bell get back on track a bit...hope it is a sign of things to come, as it will definitely help if he's still feeling it next thursday.

jazzdelmar
01-18-2015, 05:20 AM
Never in doubt, they are really bad. Poor games for KD and Melson. KD really can't dribble if pressed. Melson is thisclose to being a chucker. Guess they were due. Obviously Bell rung, after a horrific start. Guess he was due. KP better than recently in an away game. Was Karno there? KW, BW and DS solid, solid. End of first half play, what can you say? Payne is a playa but clearly some issues w coach.

gonzagafan62
01-18-2015, 05:57 AM
A 17 point victor and I had 15. Not bad

Zaggernaught
01-18-2015, 06:33 AM
I enjoyed the game, especially with Gary getting into a rhythm. However, I thought the officiating was absolutely the worst I have seen all year. LMU was holding, using arm bars, playing dirty with some elbows and there were a lot of no calls. Then they would call some tickey tack fouls. I remember Kyle W. spinning off someone from the 3 point area and the defender, (who was beat), darn near took his shirt off and no foul! Then they called a side out instead of a huge arm bar that was being done on Karno by I think Humphries. They replayed the play and said, "oh it looks like they got tangled up". Wow! I'm glad that the zags prevailed, but the refs were absolutely awful! Reminded me of some of the refs I see at my daughter's 6th grade AAU games. I don't usually comment, but couldn't believe that no one was talking about it and thought I would share.

Zagceo
01-18-2015, 07:13 AM
Good turnout of zag fans. The upper deck had one cheer of up by 20 & LMU section replied we can't hear you and zags got louder" UP BY 20" . Tough watching our players getting mauled by teams that are smaller just to keep the score close imo. Shem got his first foul with 9 min left in game that's gotta be a first. Zags led 7 to 2 in team fouls early in 2nd half.
The rebounds seemed to favor LMU on the O boards with long favorable bounces off rims.
LMU sits the middle of LA and the talent level does not match recruiting grounds. High school gym that only gets filled when BYU & GU come to town in blow out losses ........not very impressive for recruits imo.
First basketball game with live "Bar Band" as my wife called them located behind one of the hoops like Tonight Show between timeouts.
i had to show my ticket to 3 ushers and the uniformed security presents was unusually high for small venue. After the game walking to car and some LMU students had a pony keg outside their car and askd us if we'd like a cold beaverage

bballbeachbum
01-18-2015, 07:43 AM
good win, team win, many contributors across the board. we always talk about how opponents have to pick their poison against these Zags and last night it happened again. LMU was not going to let Shem beat them or any post players and so there were many open shots on the perimeter for the Zags and also spaces to attack off the bounce, the Zags exploited that, and LMU got punished for that defensive choice. GBj's slump maybe was factored into Dunlap's choice to defend that way? idk, but it didn't work

a key time in the game was the end of the first half, after the Zags had pushed it out to 18 early in the first half, then again to 18 late in the first half, but the last 3 minutes or so LMU went on an 11-4 run to close the gap to 11 at the half.

DixieZag
01-18-2015, 07:51 AM
I enjoyed the game, especially with Gary getting into a rhythm. However, I thought the officiating was absolutely the worst I have seen all year. LMU was holding, using arm bars, playing dirty with some elbows and there were a lot of no calls. Then they would call some tickey tack fouls. I remember Kyle W. spinning off someone from the 3 point area and the defender, (who was beat), darn near took his shirt off and no foul! Then they called a side out instead of a huge arm bar that was being done on Karno by I think Humphries. They replayed the play and said, "oh it looks like they got tangled up". Wow! I'm glad that the zags prevailed, but the refs were absolutely awful! Reminded me of some of the refs I see at my daughter's 6th grade AAU games. I don't usually comment, but couldn't believe that no one was talking about it and thought I would share.

Thank you for posting. Kevin came very close to getting his jaw knocked off in the late first half when that guy ran up and reached by him, punching the ball (and some of Kevin) out of bounds. It occurred right next to the GU bench and the entire section, players and coaches jumped to their feet - which I take as a sign it was pretty violent. No call.

Last night, BYU needed a stop, down 3 under a minute to play. Was about 12 left on the shot clock, a guard dibbled in from the 5 second line and bumped chests with the SMC player, neither fell, neither really went out of position, the call could have gone either way (IMO), it was just touch, under a minute, very close game. In other words, the single worst type of call. I was sick. BYU had been playing very good d and they might have gotten the ball back with 20 seconds or so. That touch call pretty well decided the game. Awful.

Robzagnut
01-18-2015, 07:53 AM

The officiating in the BYU vs SMC game was worse.