PDA

View Full Version : Wiltjer Appreciation Thread

former1dog
01-17-2015, 08:33 AM
In reality, I don't think things could have gone better with the Wiltjer transfer. It seems fans, including myself, are slow to compliment or recognize what a truly outstanding addition Kyle has been.

Some of that I think may have to do with the fact that he rejected us in the initial recruiting process and then secondarily has to do with his appearance at time of being a little soft on defense.

At the end of the day though he is anything but soft, especially between the ears. He proved that in spades in the second half vs Pepperdine. He's a gamer and it is apparent that he is trusted by teammates and coaches alike.

I'm very grateful that he is a Bulldog!

zagbeliever
01-17-2015, 09:16 AM
100% agree. Level headed and talent out the ying-yang. So glad he's a Zag.

HenneZag
01-17-2015, 09:35 AM
I don't pay attention to the fact he turned us down one bit, it's tough to turn down a Kentucky offer, and it's easy for a young kid to get caught up in that type of program, I knew he would eventually be a ZAG!

He definitely brings a sense of calm is situations that are stressful and chaotic, he's been there and done that.

Not to hijack this thread, but another player by the name of Kyle deserves some appreciation as well. KD is asked to do a little bit of everything and the kid never complains about his position on the team, he does what he needs to do to help this team win. Honestly I wish he would have played more minutes vs. PEPP, when he was in we were moving the ball beautifully. Assuming both Kyle's are here next year, it will be fun to watch them both play next year.

jazzdelmar
01-17-2015, 10:10 AM
Great for us. Let's hope Reid Travis likewise sees the error of his decision

hooter73
01-17-2015, 10:11 AM
I was not a fan of how he announced who he was going to out of high school. Not because it wasn't us, but how he did it. Saw him as a semi bust at KU, didn't buy into the hype when he transferred here.

He is beginning to make a believer out of me.

MDABE80
01-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Great for us. Let's hope Reid Travis likewise sees the error of his decision
I was just thinking that Jazz. He's having a great frosh season..........at Stanford. He's a great kid and, as it turns out, one tough cookie with brains. Man! we coujld use him next season.

jazzdelmar
01-17-2015, 10:35 AM
I was not a fan of how he announced who he was going to out of high school. Not because it wasn't us, but how he did it. Saw him as a semi bust at KU, didn't buy into the hype when he transferred here.

He is beginning to make a believer out of me.

Hoots, you're a tough audience. Hope he moves you 180 down the road.

jazzdelmar
01-17-2015, 10:37 AM
I was just thinking that Jazz. He's having a great frosh season..........at Stanford. He's a great kid and, as it turns out, one tough cookie with brains. Man! we coujld use him next season.

Been hurt of late. Having an ok season, him and the Indian. Stanford a nonpareil place, of course but then so was UK in a whole different context. We will see.

jpwils
01-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Been hurt of late. Having an ok season, him and the Indian. Stanford a nonpareil place, of course but then so was UK in a whole different context. We will see.

Kyle Wiltjer brings an assassin's mindset to the game and has shown he can score multiple ways.

He makes our other guys harder to guard by drawing a defense's attention.

I'm a huge fan of both him and Wesley( who makes our team even harder to guard). Looking forward to seeing McClellan as well!

ZagMan in Philly
01-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Things could not have worked out any better for both him and the team so far. I hope he will play in the NBA, after next year of course. I love his game. Thanks for being a Zag Kyle.

zag buddy
01-17-2015, 11:40 AM
I put Kyle in the same boat as Adam Morrison and just as good. I think Kyle could average thirty a game while shooting a very good percentage without any problem. He is currently doing it all and a lot better defense than adam M. I think we will see his national attention outshine this boards attention.

Ekrub
01-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Wrong thread

NYCZAG
01-17-2015, 02:48 PM
I put Kyle in the same boat as Adam Morrison and just as good. I think Kyle could average thirty a game while shooting a very good percentage without any problem. He is currently doing it all and a lot better defense than adam M. I think we will see his national attention outshine this boards attention.

Totally different game. Adam Morrison is the best Gonzaga player to this point to ever pick up a basketball on the college level. What he did his junior year won't be duplicated at GU for a long time possibly forever. Kyle is a smart, silky smooth at times scoring machine. I said at the beginning of the year he would be WCC player of the year. He won't have the impact Adam did. Sigh, NBA what could of been if he played for D'antoni....

roxdoc
01-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee

zag buddy
01-17-2015, 02:57 PM
NYCzag Adam shot whenever he wanted and made them , Kyle plays within the system. If he played like Adam did he would score comparably, and I love Adam.But I also like to give Kyle W. his due.
http://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2015-01-16/gonzaga-bulldogs-kyle-wiltjer-behind-the-back-half-court-shot-record
Come on Mark, enjoy the kid being a kid.

NYCZAG
01-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Not even in the same arena offensively. Kyle is amazing. I love watching him. He's 6 feet ten inches and still developing. It's a gift he transferred to this team. He is getting better and better. That being said. Adam offensively is not matched on any level by anyone who has ever played at this school....

TheZagPhish
01-17-2015, 03:25 PM
I completely appreciate Wiltj! He is terrific and if you disagree I will fight you.

bballbeachbum
01-17-2015, 03:43 PM
appreciated! wow he can really stroke it but not just that, many releases and ways to look at the basket, agree with the OP on toughness and fun watching him game to game.

hard work paying off a nice theme up there in Spokane

zag buddy
01-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Ok now i'm drinking the koolaid but I would love to see Kyle drafted by the Boston celtics and play with Kelly O. Kelly at the 4 and Kyle at the 3. One moves out from the post and the other moves in and vice versa and both hitting 3 pointers. Time well tell. But I did post Kelly would be drafted 8th. and looking back he definately should not have gone over 8th.

bballbeachbum
01-17-2015, 03:46 PM
and I do not disagree so no fight with you TheZagPhish ;)

DixieZag
01-17-2015, 03:46 PM
I completely appreciate Wiltj! He is terrific and if you disagree I will fight you.

If I don't disagree, can we still fight?

Ha, you're one of the last guys anyone would ever fight, too cool.

I'm shocked at this thread b/c I'd think KW was extremely well appreciated, as is entirely proper.

His maturity, calming presence and ability to go inside and out has saved us already a few times this year. I'm not sure I'll ever forgive him for missing that look in AZ, but you know... :) Kidding, he's going to keep carrying us. Could be AA next year.

RenoZag
01-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Adam offensively is not matched on any level by anyone who has ever played at this school....

Frank Burgess fans would disagree. And they would be right.

As for the OP and the reason for this thread: He's a complementary piece of the Zag puzzle this year and I am damn glad he's a Bulldog.

Zagger
01-17-2015, 05:02 PM
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/kw.png

Rangerzag
01-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Frank Burgess fans would disagree. And they would be right.

As for the OP and the reason for this thread: He's a complementary piece of the Zag puzzle this year and I damn glad he's a Bulldog.

+1

Zagger
01-17-2015, 07:09 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/2015/01/16/3645337/kentucky-transfer-now-leads-no.html
Not sure if this has already been posted. Another good PR story for GU (and Kyle).

SPOKANE, WASH. Kyle Wiltjer could be playing for No. 1 and undefeated Kentucky this season.Instead, he is the leading scorer for No. 3 Gonzaga, and couldn't be happier.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/01/16/3645337/kentucky-transfer-now-leads-no.html#storyl[/QUOTE]

OZZY
01-17-2015, 09:27 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/2015/01/16/3645337/kentucky-transfer-now-leads-no.html
Not sure if this has already been posted. Another good PR story for GU (and Kyle).

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/01/16/3645337/kentucky-transfer-now-leads-no.html#storyl[/QUOTE]

Thanks Zagger, most appreciated. I especially liked this quote.

Wiltjer said his desire to play with Pangos, a teammate on the Canadian national squad, was one big reason he decided to leave Kentucky.

"I really like to play with him," Wiltjer said.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/01/16/3645337_kentucky-transfer-now-leads-no.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy