PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few WCC Win #200

SWZag
01-16-2015, 11:34 AM
It has been briefly mention in another thread, but I wanted to highlight the accomplishment. After the Pepperdine win, Few is now 200 - 24 in league play. That's an 89.3 winning percentage. He now leads the WCC in all-time league wins by 35 over #2 Carroll Williams of SCU (1970-92). At a distant third is Bennett with 134.

League wins by active WCC Coaches (All-Time rank in parentheses):
(1) Few: 200
(3) Bennett: 134
(23) Walters: 50
(24) Reveno: 49
(26t) Grier: 45
(28t) Keating: 41
(29t) Rose: 40
(53t) Wilson: 22
(74) Verlin: 7

Congrats Few and here's to many more!! :cheers:

TheGonzagaFactor
01-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Congrats to coach Few on reaching this milestone. The fact he's done it with only 24 WCC losses over 16 years is amazing.

Now, on to the other WCC coaches...

It's unbelievable that people think Reveno is a good coach. This is his 9th season at Portland. He is 49-77 in the WCC with no NIT appearances and no NCAA appearances. He does have 3 appearances in the prestigious CIT, resulting in a 1st round loss each time.

This is why I hate this conference. Several coaches have overall and conference records of about .500 or less over a span of 5+ years and still keep their jobs. This includes Walters, Grier, Reveno, and Keating who have combined for 1 NCAA appearance. Few, Rose, Bennett are fine... Wilson, Dunlap, and Verlin have a small sample size. Wilson's record is really bad, but he's fairly new and seems to be getting them going. Half of these programs don't seem to have a desire to succeed. Just beat Gonzaga at home once in your career and apparently it's all good.

seacatfan
01-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Congrats to coach Few on reaching this milestone. The fact he's done it with only 24 WCC losses over 16 years is amazing.

Now, on to the other WCC coaches...

It's unbelievable that people think Reveno is a good coach. This is his 9th season at Portland. He is 49-77 in the WCC with no NIT appearances and no NCAA appearances. He does have 3 appearances in the prestigious CIT, resulting in a 1st round loss each time.

This is why I hate this conference. Several coaches have overall and conference records of about .500 or less over a span of 5+ years and still keep their jobs. This includes Walters, Grier, Reveno, and Keating who have combined for 1 NCAA appearance. Few, Rose, Bennett are fine... Wilson, Dunlap, and Verlin have a small sample size. Wilson's record is really bad, but he's fairly new and seems to be getting them going. Half of these programs don't seem to have a desire to succeed. Just beat Gonzaga at home once in your career and apparently it's all good.

Agree on everything. Congrats to Few, ridiculous conference record he has accumulated.

Of the coaches you've cast a critical eye on, Keating is the one I ask myself every year how he still has a job. I like Reveno, but it doesn't seem like he's ever going to turn the corner at UP (this year is going downhill fast, 2-4 in league with a disappointing home loss to USF--gotta hold serve at home). And other than last year Walters hasn't done much. Don't know how much longer Grier is going to last. Obvious at both USD and BSU that plucking a coach from the Gonzaga staff does not translate to replicating what they've done in Spokane...even slightly.

Ekrub
01-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Agree on everything. Congrats to Few, ridiculous conference record he has accumulated.

Of the coaches you've cast a critical eye on, Keating is the one I ask myself every year how he still has a job. I like Reveno, but it doesn't seem like he's ever going to turn the corner at UP (this year is going downhill fast, 2-4 in league with a disappointing home loss to USF--gotta hold serve at home). And other than last year Walters hasn't done much. Don't know how much longer Grier is going to last. Obvious at both USD and BSU that plucking a coach from the Gonzaga staff does not translate to replicating what they've done in Spokane...even slightly.

Boise state is considerably more competitive now

gonzagafan62
01-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Boise state is considerably more competitive now

Yeah but still isn't something to considerably hang your hat on either. They've been to one tournament inthe last tree years.

seacatfan
01-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Yeah but still isn't something to considerably hang your hat on either. They've been to one tournament inthe last tree years.

Exactly, and this year isn't looking like they're going Dancing unless they win their conference tourney. In fact they didn't seem to gain any momentum from that 1 Tourney appearance several years ago. With Drmic and Marks using up their eligibility this year it doesn't look better down the road after this season.