PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Pepperdine Post Game thoughts

Reborn
01-15-2015, 10:52 PM
Whew!!!! Wow!!! That was as good a game as I thought it would be, and even a little closer. I had a feeling though, that it was going to be tough. You never know about how a game will go. That is the awesome beauty of sports. You have to play the game and each game has it's own story. Created by the players and coach. This was a story of Gonzaga at the Free Throw line. They shot 33 foul shots and made only 14 for 42% shooting from the line. The game would not have been that close if we had shot ok at the line. And talk about missing them in crunch time. That's how it goes sometimes. The key is we won.

Thank God for Kyle Wiltjer and the GU bench. Kyle was soooo good the second half. He pretty much took over the game, and I loved it. It was about time they started throwing him the ball. And he was 6-7 from the line and the only Zag who shot a decent percent from the line.
Wiltjer led the team in scoring, scoring 24 points, followed by Sabonis with 21 and then Silas Melson with 11 points in 13 minutes. I criticize Few for not playing Melson more. He can really shoot, and he plays good D. Loved his steal. And to see Bell playing instead of him (31 minutes) does not set well with me. As bad as Bell has been, he was even worse tonight.He has really lost his confidence. Give Few credit because he is trying to not let Bell go totally down the drain, but I don't know. When he missed the wide open layin in crucial time, that kind of did it for me. And honestly Pangos wasn't much better. Pangos' defense was pathetic tonight. And honestly, the team played very little D tonight. Karno and Sabonis really looked horrible on defense. Karno was a problem for the Zags tonight. And fortunately Sabonis had a great game. But his defense was not good.

That was what we call an ugly game, and one we should have lost. But Wiltjer would not let them. I don't care any more what people have to say about Kyle W, but he is our best player, and he is the potential All-American. Start giving him the dang ball. And I can guarantee you his D is better then Sabonis'. Karnowski looked like a mule tonight. I also love Kyle Dranginis' game. He truly is like Mike Hart. When he's in the game I feel good. And on the other hand lately I have not been impressed with Wesley at all. Did you see his game tonight? Talk about ugly. He looked so awful at the line, shooting 3-10. I am not liking how he has been playing in the WCC. He just isn't playing with the same intensity that he once played with.

Overall, Gonzaga had a good offensive game. They shot 56% from the field and 50% from behind the arc. If they had made free throws they would have scored 90 points tonight. The Zags continued to pass the ball and get it to the hot players. They had 18 assists. For awhile there it kind of looked like the Arizona game. We had a nice 8 point lead, and he takes Wiltjer out and they got it down to 5 or 4 in like two minutes. There was another time Gonzaga made a run with Melson in and got it to 8 and Few took him and and Pepp. caught back up. 33 points from the bench tonight (just two guys). Great for them. Like we say, no two games are alike. I just thank God we won, and I thank the team. They found a way to win, and we got to give them credit for that. And yes, it is a team game, and somehow as bad as it looked, they got 'er done again.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

bigblahla
01-15-2015, 11:08 PM
Tough game ....yep....but.....Zags took the lead from about the 5 minute mark of the 1st half and never relinquished it. Pepperdine is back....the Waves look like the 2nd best TEAM in the WCC to me....Fun game....very entertaining and the good guys won....time to bag some lions....

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagger
01-16-2015, 03:33 AM
Dang impressed with Sabonis, Wiltjer & Melson in this game. Mt. K early on too. Maybe it was a younger man's game tonight as our seniors weren't feelin' it. I suspect the late arrival and likely not much of a quality shoot-around had something to do with the free throws. Missing all those kept the game closer and the Waves' heart in the game. Impressed that the Zags pulled out a win though. The first part of the game sure had some hot Zag shooting.

WallaWallaZag
01-16-2015, 03:37 AM
early going zags dominated with their size advantage...2nd half pepp took advantage of their superior quickness. zags needed to trap and double more to take away the drives.

titopoet
01-16-2015, 03:53 AM
early going zags dominated with their size advantage...2nd half pepp took advantage of their superior quickness. zags needed to trap and double more to take away the drives.

Having live in LA, when I heard the why of the delay, I feared for the game. My wife and I laughed having experienced too many of them, but both she and I wonder out loud about effect. Being stuck in traffic for two hours will take the legs out of a person and mentally tire a person. The Zags were a step slow and their free throws did show the effects of the traffic jam. Glad they escape with a win despite the challenges. They went to were they were much superior to the Waves, inside.
A lot closer than it should have been; the guy that hit the light post could have cost the game. The mark of a great team is over coming adversity, and watching how they guys were with each other in the struggle made think this team has the elements to grind out that is needed in the NCAA.

WallaWallaZag
01-16-2015, 04:03 AM
Having live in LA, when I heard the why of the delay, I feared for the game. My wife and I laughed having experienced too many of them, but both she and I wonder out loud about effect. Being stuck in traffic for two hours will take the legs out of a person and mentally tire a person. The Zags were a step slow and their free throws did show the effects of the traffic jam. Glad they escape with a win despite the challenges. They went to were they were much superior to the Waves, inside.
A lot closer than it should have been; the guy that hit the light post could have cost the game. The mark of a great team is over coming adversity, and watching how they guys were with each other in the struggle made think this team has the elements to grind out that is needed in the NCAA.

certainly hope that the traffic jam played a part, but based on past results would have to say that the zags simply reverted to their old habits on the road...building a big lead and letting up in the 2nd half allowing the less-talented home team back into the game. missing the freebies just made it even more interesting than usual, but doesn't hide the continuation of the existing problem.

jazzdelmar
01-16-2015, 04:31 AM
No doubt the Bonus and SM played their best all round games.....but while Domas played a ton of minutes (31) I believe Silas played something like 13....with Bell and BW waaaaay off, I think SM should have played much more. He pairs extremely well with Drangs, for some reason......KD performed well, too, but his numbers don't reflect it....Karno started off brilliantly, then sat and never regained focus. And KW is playing like an AA and the national champion he is....

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
01-16-2015, 04:56 AM
No doubt the Bonus and SM played their best all round games.....but while Domas played a ton of minutes (31) I believe Silas played something like 13....with Bell and BW waaaaay off, I think SM should have played much more. He pairs extremely well with Drangs, for some reason......KD performed well, too, but his numbers don't reflect it....Karno started off brilliantly, then sat and never regained focus. And KW is playing like an AA and the national champion he is....

Melson's minutes need an uptick based on performance. I am not gonna say at the expense of other players because this is a great TEAM. So I would phrase it more like "for the betterment of the team..." Wiltjer has been amazing but as NCAA Tournament match-ups come to light our coaching staff will have to play the game of hoops poker (in game strategy) better than most to utilize our multidimensional arsenal. We did go on a great first half run with Draino logging minutes and Melson doing his version of the "Microwave" BUT ultimately with the pending return of EM/and or Perks my gut tells me our best team will be fielded with more speed and size on the perimeter to DEFEND the dribble drive and kick scenario which has the capability to send us home before the second weekend of the tournament. Mark Few is going to have to be the orchestrator of this chorus of talent. He has his work cut out for him because all the pieces MAY be there if we get healthy. If coach utilizes his personnel to its strengths based on future match-ups our ceiling is a National Championship. I think coach Few is going to put all his chips in the middle of the table and let it ride this year. He has the team to do it. This is all a process for the team and coaching staff as we near the Big Dance. I like where we stand...We survived a tough road test!

RenoZag
01-16-2015, 05:08 AM
In the game thread, an opinion was offered that Few should have put Angel Nunez on Davis to "slow him down" ( paraphrasing) via Nunez' length and athleticism. And, Nunez had 5 fouls to give.

Curious to read what reaction others have to the above suggestion. And whether or not Angel's opportunity has come and gone. Thanks

titopoet
01-16-2015, 05:26 AM
certainly hope that the traffic jam played a part, but based on past results would have to say that the zags simply reverted to their old habits on the road...building a big lead and letting up in the 2nd half allowing the less-talented home team back into the game. missing the freebies just made it even more interesting than usual, but doesn't hide the continuation of the existing problem.

But, how they came back was missed free throws and being a step slow on Defense... effects of sitting in a cramp bus for two hours. I have have similar experiences and like I said I feared its effect on the players.

Vanzagger
01-16-2015, 05:29 AM
Good Job Zag Nation.

jazzdelmar
01-16-2015, 05:49 AM
In the game thread, an opinion was offered that Few should have put Angel Nunez on Davis to "slow him down" ( paraphrasing) via Nunez' length and athleticism. And, Nunez had 5 fouls to give.

Curious to read what reaction others have to the above suggestion. And whether or not Angel's opportunity has come and gone. Thanks

Reno, I thought that comment was made tongue firmly in cheek, didn't you? Nunez was in for a second and made a defensive boo boo. I think his train has left the station.....

WallaWallaZag
01-16-2015, 05:51 AM

i actually thought that nunez should have been put on raines...that's a perfect matchup for him...even though nunez has length and athleticism, davis would have overpowered him...as for your other question, few is big on trust and i'm not sure nunez will be able to get that back if things continue as they have...

Reborn
01-16-2015, 05:55 AM
I feel so good about the win. The guys really held together at the end, despite some poor FT shooting. Wiltjer put the nail in the coffin. I felt so relieved when I went to bed last night. I got pretty up-tight during the last five minutes of the game. I remained positive though because I really believe in this team.

This was a great road test, and there will be more ahead for the team. The toughest road games are now behind the Zags accept for the St. Mary's game. I give a lot of credit for the success of the team to whomever set up the OOC schedule. It really helped the Zags to have played some quality teams on the road. I think the Arizona game helped them the most. The game last night really had a feel of the Arizona game to it. However, the outcome was different. Losing at Arizona, I believe, helped the Zags win last night. I was so impressed with the confidence and coolness of Kyle Wiltjer last night. In the heat of a tremendous battle he remained so calm.

IMO Few should stop taking him out when the Zags are 8 points up with 6 min to go. He does it all the time, and each time it hurts the Zags. Kyle WAS HOT. And the Zags were on a run. They were putting the game out of reach. And then bang! He takes Kyle out and in comes Karno. And the lead goes down to 4 in two minutes. Few puts Kyle back in, but he cooled down on the bench and went back in and missed some shots he should have made. Yet, when it came time for HIM to stand up there at the foul line he nailed his free throws. Or did he miss one too? In the end this was a game the Zags needed, and they went out there and got it. Winning on the road is tough, and they did it.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Zags11
01-16-2015, 06:38 AM
I thought we played well for the most part but the lid on the hoop during free throw attempts. I dont know about gary on the offensive end anymore ans that stinks as huge gary supporter. I thought sabonis and karno and silas and wilt played great. Wilt is a black hole to me and yes he is very good but shots in triple teams idc for.

The waves are very good team and are probably gonna be one the top 3 seeds this year and should worry us somewhat but with normal free throws its a 18 point win. I thought the announcers were very pro waves and was disgusting to hear them even at all. I will listen to nuetral announcers just fine but they were not.

john montana
01-16-2015, 06:38 AM
I think that is just a super tough match up for us. In general, we want to play big and throw our three headed monster at teams (karno, domas, wiltjer) but the Waves counter that with the skill set of their two bigs. raines and Davis simply destroyed us off the dribble. Their guards penetrated as well, but it was really the two big guys that we couldn't control. Really good game planning by the Waves...knowing they would get pounded on the interior, they let their bigs drift to the perimeter and time and time again dribble right past us for fouls and buckets. We will have to change up our defensive game plan for the next time we play them, we can't just let Davis abuse our big boys one on one from the perimeter. Davis is a tough cover.

I'm not convinced Nunez would help overall. He could stick with Raines, and maybe bother/foul Davis but enough to make up for the issues we would have on the other end? tough call...worth a shot for a few minutes.

Great game by Wiltjer...he battled, and Casey Jacobson even called him athletic! Melson looked great, but Few just doesn't play him at the 2...he throws him in at the 3 spot and has KD be the secondary ball handler (with pangos or bell being primary). Does he just not have confidence in Melson's ball handling?

23dpg
01-16-2015, 07:02 AM
I loved Wiltjer's game last night. He stepped up huge when we needed him.
But I dont think he's better defensively then (sic) Sabonis. Not by a long shot. Not that I would guarantee it.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-16-2015, 07:06 AM
Happy the Zags pulled out the win, but I gotta admit the "well, it's a tough road win in the WCC so all is well in ZagNation" sentiment baffles me. Regardless of how the refs were calling the game, the Zags post defense was absolutely pathetic vs two 6'7" players.

Nothing about last night's game convinces me these Zags deserve their gaudy #3 ranking regardless of what the other top 10 teams do. Pangos and Bell played poorly, everyone but Wiltjer choked at the free throw line. When our key veteran guys (Pangos, Bell, Wesley) fold under the pressure of a high school gym, I have serious doubts about how they'll handle the free throw pressure in a tight game to advance in the NCAA tourney.

Hopefully the players all feel the same way, get locked in and focused for LMU tomorrow night, then blow the Lions out of their own gym to re-establish their confidence and legitimize their ranking in the eyes of the selection committee.

TacomaZAG
01-16-2015, 07:35 AM
With the traffic issue this game was ripe for laying an egg. That egg was about half way out due to the traffic issue and horrible FT shooting, when Kyle pushed it back in and took over. Good effort and composure down the stretch pulled this one out.

Now, I have been as big a critic of Few's in-game adjustments as anyone on this board, and his typical lack of halftime adjustments showed through again in the first 5 minutes of the second half. However, I was really impressed with his end-of-game management and use of timeouts in this game. Got to give him props for that and for being willing to go against what he has done in the past. For me, that bodes well for the crap shoot that is the Tourney.

This team, everyone included, learned a valuable lesson last night. And, they didn't have to absorb a loss to do it.

Go ZAGS

CDC84
01-16-2015, 07:40 AM

My point in that thread is that none of GU's bigs had a hope in hell of guarding Stacy Davis in the 2nd half, so you might as well put someone else on him and see how it works. The one thing Angel has is length, athleticism, lateral quickness and shot blocking ability. I have to believe he would've "bothered" Davis more than Karno, Sabonis and Wiltjer.

However, it's really obvious that Coach Few doesn't trust Nunez to be on the floor during important game situations, so he danced with the players he was most comfortable with. The Zags allowed way too many easy interior baskets last night. Unlike some other posters, that bothered me way more than the piss poor foul shooting. Also, the Zags just can't seem to put together two halves of solid basketball of late.

That being said, anyone who felt the Zags were just going to breeze through this league without some severe challenges was not in their right mind. The difference with this group is that I have confidence in their ability to pull these kinds of games out.

LongIslandZagFan
01-16-2015, 07:43 AM
I think it was made crystal clear that Pepperdine is for real. They have big wins in conference already... they almost notched another one. Nobody should be sleeting on the Waves from here on out.

rennis
01-16-2015, 07:49 AM
I think it was made crystal clear that Pepperdine is for real. They have big wins in conference already... they almost notched another one. Nobody should be sleeting on the Waves from here on out.

No doubt about that. Waves looked fierce last night.

That said, If GU makes their free throws and Kevin doesn't sit in the 1st half with foul trouble to give them a run, outcome would have been different. I think the world of Pepperdine's effort last night, but the better team won for sure.

ZagHouse
01-16-2015, 08:06 AM
I saw the game more as an extension of all the missed free throws. The frustration of leaving points at the line influenced other aspects of the game. Throw in a small gym, playing the #3 team, a rowdy student section and two of our bigs playing with three and then four fouls, it was a recipe for an upset. I'll give Pepp a bit of credit, but our woes at the line made their team and the game seem more competitive than what was the reality.

LongIslandZagFan
01-16-2015, 08:12 AM
Note to Pepperdine student section... Zombie Nation... you are doing it wrong. When they cut to them trying to do something with that song... ugh...

VinnyZag
01-16-2015, 08:21 AM
I'm left worrying that interior defense is the Achilles heel of this team.

Karnowski is a pretty good rim protector and effective on D against guys who are like him (The Arizona kid, for instance, and whatshisname at SMC); but he struggles against quicker guys. Sabonis has a ton of potential on that end and is a great defensive rebounder, but hasn't been effective all the time either. Wiltjer is a great scorer! On defense, well ... He's a great scorer!

Not something that every team can exploit (BYU, for instance, couldn't). But something to watch, I guess.

hooter73
01-16-2015, 08:43 AM

The Nunez at the start of the season could have made a difference, the Nunez f late. No way. Plus we were having to really play things right on the offensive side just to get our buckets, he would have hurt that. It really is unfortunate but he has come and gone.

Honestly though only a guy like maybe Elias Harris could have stuck with Davis or Rains (sp?) last night. And E was never that great a defender but the powerful, mobile 6'8 athletic player is hard to match up against when you just do not have guys like that and what you do have are playing with 4 fouls on them.

MickMick
01-16-2015, 08:47 AM
The Waves displayed their youthful inexperience with unforced turnovers. They are every bit as gifted as Gonzaga, but lack experience and discipline.

Their coach is really making his mark and I expect that program to be very good for years to come. They have to be considered as one of the favorites to win the WCC next season.

adoptedzag
01-16-2015, 10:21 AM
The Waves displayed their youthful inexperience with unforced turnovers. They are every bit as gifted as Gonzaga, but lack experience and discipline.

Their coach is really making his mark and I expect that program to be very good for years to come. They have to be considered as one of the favorites to win the WCC next season.

I think its a stretch to say that they're every bit as gifted as us. They're very good, but as good as us? I don't think so. What you saw was a young team hyped from their home crowd giving the Zags their best shot. Par for the course in this league on the road.

SWZag
01-16-2015, 10:27 AM
Note to Pepperdine student section... Zombie Nation... you are doing it wrong. When they cut to them trying to do something with that song... ugh...

Was thinking the same thing. Can't hold a candle to the GU student section on Zombie Nation.

DADoZAG
01-16-2015, 11:04 AM
My point in that thread is that none of GU's bigs had a hope in hell of guarding Stacy Davis in the 2nd half, so you might as well put someone else on him and see how it works. The one thing Angel has is length, athleticism, lateral quickness and shot blocking ability. I have to believe he would've "bothered" Davis more than Karno, Sabonis and Wiltjer.

However, it's really obvious that Coach Few doesn't trust Nunez to be on the floor during important game situations, so he danced with the players he was most comfortable with. The Zags allowed way too many easy interior baskets last night. Unlike some other posters, that bothered me way more than the piss poor foul shooting. Also, the Zags just can't seem to put together two halves of solid basketball of late.

That being said, anyone who felt the Zags were just going to breeze through this league without some severe challenges was not in their right mind. The difference with this group is that I have confidence in their ability to pull these kinds of games out.

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

...and I'll leave it at that...

Go ZAGS!

bballbeachbum
01-16-2015, 11:29 AM
I'm left worrying that interior defense is the Achilles heel of this team.

Karnowski is a pretty good rim protector and effective on D against guys who are like him (The Arizona kid, for instance, and whatshisname at SMC); but he struggles against quicker guys. Sabonis has a ton of potential on that end and is a great defensive rebounder, but hasn't been effective all the time either. Wiltjer is a great scorer! On defense, well ... He's a great scorer!

Not something that every team can exploit (BYU, for instance, couldn't). But something to watch, I guess.

the Committee seems to pick up on these things pretty well when they determine matchups and how to test/reward teams

seacatfan
01-16-2015, 12:41 PM
I was more bothered by Raines going off than Davis. Karno has been playing great, but he was a non-factor in this game. Bad matchups for him on defense. I'll give Pangos a pass on this game as well, he's been outstanding for the Zags thus far in WCC play. Bell is killing me. This is a nightmare how badly he's playing in his Sr. year. I keep hoping he'll snap out of his funk...but it's been a long time. Wesley hasn't been nearly as good in WCC as he was early in the season, hopefully he can get back to his previous form. Melson's emergence recently has been big.

The FT shooting was just abhorrent. I can't remember ever seeing anything like it from the Zags. Damn near gave the game away from the charity stripe. I hope nothing remotely like that ever happens again.

DixieZag
01-16-2015, 01:06 PM
I think the case for Nunez was based solely on the Waves going straight inside against 2 guys with 4 fouls. Karno didn't even move at that point. It was a very unique situation and ripe for offense/defense move. Perhaps. I don't know much.

We have a few games likely to be blow-outs at home coming. I would like to see Nunez get a couple quality minutes with the regulars to see if he can get a little back before March, b/c we may be in similar situations.

Unfortunately, the pattern has been pretty well against that. Once Few loses faith, a player is rarely seen again that year.

dan71w
01-16-2015, 01:47 PM
It was a great game, other than the missed FT's. had we made them to punish there fouling, we damn near would have blown them out.
our interior defense was good, until you start fouling our bigs LIKE they did, that foul problem is what hurt us, ticky tack all night while they pushed and shoved our bigs around. in the second half, our guys where worried about fouling out, and the played like it.
2 things kept the game close, first our missed FT, and second the ticky tack fouls. it wasn't that pepp is overly good, the refs took our guys out of there game, made them worry about fouling out thus opening the lane for pepp. had the refs not called all those fouls like that, it would have been a much different game it would have allowed our bigs more aggression in defense.
we got the win, on the road, but do not kid yourself, though pepp is decent,,,,,they are nowhere near Zags level on a typical night.

roxdoc
01-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Going beyond the specific player and coaching gafs and heroics, this was a game we most probably would have closely lost in any of the past several seasons. Just more talent and toughness this year to not let it haqppen.

Zagceo
01-16-2015, 02:14 PM
First game courtside with this group and I think people might be surprised at how much pushing grabbing and holding goes on before a foul is called. Not always but when it does it can be subtle and quick. These guys are so big, fast and agile the refs can't possibly see everything in real time. Good to go back and review a game with the same 3 refs but in addition to the TV footage look at all the angles with AXIS (ESPN all angles) type footage because multiple digital cameras are now recording video from the baselines and you have the footage. Takes time I know never gonna happen. Most fans complain about refs making bad calls after watching replays. Real time can be Real difficult.

Reborn
01-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Again, every game is not going to be the same, and there will be more tests upcoming. I'm glad this one is over because it was a big one. Bigger then most fans know. It was an usual game because of so many factors, they've all been listed in this thread (good job guys), and the Zags move on for the next one. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Pepperdine is a very different kind of team, and has the fuego aspect which makes them dangerous. The Zags could have used a little more fuego last night (and CDC is right, imo). The game of basketball, or any sport, is just not about talent. There is something that is unseen, and I call it fuego. I hope the Zags look back at this game and come together soon to begin playing with a little fire again. Imo, there are too many who have lost it. Mid-season,and we're right there, is the toughest time of year. It really is. People will begin to step up to help, and one who is, imo, is Silas Melson and I look forward to his improvement week to week. At some point he may even win the respect of Mark Few for what he is bringing to this team.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time.!

TheZagPhish
01-16-2015, 08:17 PM
There is something that is unseen, and I call it fuego.

Preach it, Reborn!

http://cl.ly/ZLdD/phish-fuego-small.jpg

demian
01-16-2015, 09:44 PM
I totally agree Reborn about Melson. I also completely agree with you about Bell and Wesley.

Whew!!!! Wow!!! That was as good a game as I thought it would be, and even a little closer. I had a feeling though, that it was going to be tough. You never know about how a game will go. That is the awesome beauty of sports. You have to play the game and each game has it's own story. Created by the players and coach. This was a story of Gonzaga at the Free Throw line. They shot 33 foul shots and made only 14 for 42% shooting from the line. The game would not have been that close if we had shot ok at the line. And talk about missing them in crunch time. That's how it goes sometimes. The key is we won.

Thank God for Kyle Wiltjer and the GU bench. Kyle was soooo good the second half. He pretty much took over the game, and I loved it. It was about time they started throwing him the ball. And he was 6-7 from the line and the only Zag who shot a decent percent from the line.
Wiltjer led the team in scoring, scoring 24 points, followed by Sabonis with 21 and then Silas Melson with 11 points in 13 minutes. I criticize Few for not playing Melson more. He can really shoot, and he plays good D. Loved his steal. And to see Bell playing instead of him (31 minutes) does not set well with me. As bad as Bell has been, he was even worse tonight.He has really lost his confidence. Give Few credit because he is trying to not let Bell go totally down the drain, but I don't know. When he missed the wide open layin in crucial time, that kind of did it for me. And honestly Pangos wasn't much better. Pangos' defense was pathetic tonight. And honestly, the team played very little D tonight. Karno and Sabonis really looked horrible on defense. Karno was a problem for the Zags tonight. And fortunately Sabonis had a great game. But his defense was not good.

That was what we call an ugly game, and one we should have lost. But Wiltjer would not let them. I don't care any more what people have to say about Kyle W, but he is our best player, and he is the potential All-American. Start giving him the dang ball. And I can guarantee you his D is better then Sabonis'. Karnowski looked like a mule tonight. I also love Kyle Dranginis' game. He truly is like Mike Hart. When he's in the game I feel good. And on the other hand lately I have not been impressed with Wesley at all. Did you see his game tonight? Talk about ugly. He looked so awful at the line, shooting 3-10. I am not liking how he has been playing in the WCC. He just isn't playing with the same intensity that he once played with.

Overall, Gonzaga had a good offensive game. They shot 56% from the field and 50% from behind the arc. If they had made free throws they would have scored 90 points tonight. The Zags continued to pass the ball and get it to the hot players. They had 18 assists. For awhile there it kind of looked like the Arizona game. We had a nice 8 point lead, and he takes Wiltjer out and they got it down to 5 or 4 in like two minutes. There was another time Gonzaga made a run with Melson in and got it to 8 and Few took him and and Pepp. caught back up. 33 points from the bench tonight (just two guys). Great for them. Like we say, no two games are alike. I just thank God we won, and I thank the team. They found a way to win, and we got to give them credit for that. And yes, it is a team game, and somehow as bad as it looked, they got 'er done again.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

zaguarxj
01-17-2015, 04:40 AM
Could the better basketball minds enlighten me on this? When the Zags went zone to try to slow "that guy" down, it looked to me like they'd start out in a 1-3-1 which would morph into a 2-3 as soon as the Waves got the ball to the FT area. Is this what was happening or was it a straight 2-3 that just sometimes looked like a 1-3-1 (or vice versa)? I couldn't figure it out but whatever it was didn't work so well, it seemed.

It also looked to me like the Zags were starting to double-team on the catch towards the end of the game. I'm thinking they should have done that sooner.