PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-Pepperdine

Section 116
01-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Hudson-What a ball game this turned out to be! A couple early ties and one lead change. Pepperdine came out in the second half and hit their first six shots. Davis put the team on his back and Raines played a career game with 22. During one stretch of the second half Wiltjer scored 16 0f 18 Zags points. When was the last time Pangos missed two free throws with the game on the line, we'll have to look back in the books-Santangelo. Zags 50% from three, 42% from the line and 57% overall from the floor. Pepperdine recognized where they had an advantage with Davis and Raines in the second half and took advantage much as GU did in the first half with Sabonis and Karnowski who combined finished 12-13 from the floor.

Michaelson: A lot of credit to Pepp being at home, made a ton of shots in the second half. And honestly all those missed free throws, but you know what it was a road win in the WCC. We get everyone's best shots and we know that. Davis took it to us in the second half. All those missed free throws kept it close and honestly our second half defense was not anywhere where it needed to be. Wiltjer is a scoring machine, he could have finished with 25 without a couple close misses in the second half. Sabonis with 18 and 12, Melson played a big part for us. Sabonis is still adjusting from the European game and some things are still coming a little difficult for him. We're gonna see all sorts of different offense and defenses when we're at LMU and we expect another full house.

Melson had a real good night and he saw some things he hasn't seen yet this year as he tried to play defense. He just needs some more minutes but he was 4-4 from the floor. Building the early 15 point lead was real easy for the Zags as everything was coming easy in the paint. But Pepp started guarding better they had too and they were the leading three point defense team in the country. Pepp started flying around and things came tougher for the Zags. Jeff Raines is a player and was good from the opening tip. He was a matchup problem for GU most of the night. Pepp shot 63% in the second half and the Zags didn't have an answer. From some reason the Zags didn't want to seem to commit to a zone and they were having a lot of trouble stopping Pepp off the bounce, so Santangelo wasn't quite sure why the Zags didn't zone for longer periods in the second half. And then the discussion turned back to the free throws. If the Zags had knocked down some more of the free throws, as well as Pepp played the Zags would have had a comfortable lead. But they didn't except at the end when they finally knocked down some big free throws they really needed. That's about it from Malibu.

Added Sabonis: we didn't expect it to be as tough as it was. they played great basketball and in the second half our defense wasn't that strong and at the end we really had to get with it. We were trying the high low and we knew if they doubled teamed us we would have to kick it out. It was actually good for us to have to win like this and we can look at the tape and see what we have to do better. I didn't know my dad played in this building, Hudson told him his dad had 24 points, and he said he wasn't aware.

ZagLawGrad
01-15-2015, 09:38 PM
Thanks Sir.

That last para about Sabonis' comments says a lot.

ZagMan in Philly
01-16-2015, 03:09 AM
Thanks, 116.

Zagger
01-16-2015, 03:20 AM
Thanks man! Exciting game!

SWZag
01-16-2015, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the recap!

Not sure the last time we shot worse from the line than we did from 3 and for all field goals.

Nice to see Melson getting props too. He's getting better with every minute he's played. Last night I was reminded of the tweet from Fran (I think it was him) that said Few thought Silas had the best chance at the NBA. The more I watch, he has an extreme amount of potential. Very exciting.