PDA

View Full Version : Huge props to the Waves

former1dog
01-15-2015, 09:21 PM
The waves played great. They should be proud of their effort.

Gonzaga fans should recognize the quality of the Pepperdine effort and congratulate the Waves on how much they have improved.

Good for the WCC and ultimately good for Gonzaga.

Congrats Waves. I hope we don't have to play them in Vegas.

john montana
01-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Really good team.

Zagdawg
01-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Agree--Waves played solid.

They are going to be tough next year.

Ekrub
01-15-2015, 09:24 PM
Cougs and ducks tied it OT

Reborn
Very good team. I knew they were. And they will get so much better. But if GU had made foul shots?

Baseline
Don't want any part of the in Vegas
Next year they could be scary good.

Hoopaholic
01-15-2015, 09:25 PM
will continue to improve and gel

wouldnt shock me to see us playing them for wcc title

Akzag
01-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Marty's done a great job.

Stacy's a stud.

Here's hoping (for them) that the whole team can keep growing and stay intact for another year.

ZagsGoZags
01-15-2015, 09:28 PM
I am sure they will devote their recruiting efforts to get a decent big man as a top priority
hats off to their coach - I was afraid he would put a BB uni on and kick our butts

former1dog
01-15-2015, 09:29 PM
My gut is telling me we're entering a new era where once again, Pepperdine will be our primary nemesis in league play.

Bocco
I knew the Waves would be tough, didn't know their free throw defense was so good.

Zags11
Great team imo soon. The announcers were wave loving fanatics. Made the game hard to listen to and just made me wanna :vomit-smiley-007:

gonzagafan62
01-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Very great effort from Pepperdine. Like another poster said earlier, we don't wanna play them next year. They will be dangerous

RenoZag
01-15-2015, 09:32 PM
I suspect we'll have to play them in Vegas too

Zag 77
01-15-2015, 09:33 PM
I don't want to see him around next year leading that bunch. Holy cow. They are young and are going to get better.

Marty Wilson is doing a hell of a job returning Pepperdine to the ranks of the relevant (and more) in the WCC. Pepp was a powerhouse and the team for GU to beat in the 1990's. It is good to see another good program in the WCC.

BTB
01-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Waves will be a tourney team by next year. Hopefully they will keep it going. If SMC gets back to where they used to be the WCC will have 4 really strong teams next year.

CDC84
01-15-2015, 09:35 PM
It's a team that has steadily gotten better and better throughout the course of the year.

former1dog
01-15-2015, 09:38 PM
It's a team that has steadily gotten better and better throughout the course of the year.
You can tell by their body language that they are a confident group.

kitzbuel
01-15-2015, 09:39 PM
At least we screwed up their 3pt defense %.

Zags shot 50% against them.

DixieZag
01-15-2015, 09:46 PM

Yeah.

That's why their RPI bears no relation to how good they are. They are a good half block ahead of BYU right now and at least 50 pts behind them in RPI. Too bad, unless they pretty well win out (to the tourney title) they'll likely not get a sniff from the NCAA - but they should. Right now, strong case can be made for second best team.

gonzagafan62
01-15-2015, 09:47 PM
I suspect we'll have to play them in Vegas too

Yup knowing us they'll finish at the 4 spot in conference lol

whatazag
01-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Was very impressed. They played well, seemed very well coached, made a lot of adjustments to counter what the Zags were doing.

23dpg
01-15-2015, 09:56 PM
If that wasn't Gonzaga out there I'd say that they were fun to watch. Being that it was Gonzaga, I'd say that it was agonizing.

Great job Waves. I do expect more from them next year.

meadgrad02
01-15-2015, 10:02 PM
If we hit our usual percentage on free throws and win by 15, would we still giving huge props to Pepperdine?

GonzaGAW
01-15-2015, 10:09 PM
so glad to see this thread started, stand up thing to do.............as they played great, glad they lost of course, but hope this is something they can build on
remember folks we want our conference foes to improve, looks like at least one is moving in that direction.

RenoZag
01-15-2015, 10:10 PM
If we hit our usual percentage on free throws and win by 15, would we still giving huge props to Pepperdine?

The classy posters would

HenneZag
01-15-2015, 10:10 PM
Shame on you Pepperdine for nearly giving me "Heart Attack". They have a great group, will be very solid especially next season. Way to o ZAGS for atleast making the plays you needed to in the end.

The team nobody is talking about is SMC. They are very quietly taking care of business in the WCC. SMC beat Pepperdine already, but still have to play BYU x2 as well as us. We can't take them lightly at all. Still a tough road ahead. One game at a time.

Hit those damn free throws already!

zagapotomus
01-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Great team imo soon. The announcers were wave loving fanatics. Made the game hard to listen to and just made me wanna :vomit-smiley-007:

Every game going forward not called by Heister and co. will have announcers just begging for an upset.

kitzbuel
01-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Yup knowing us they'll finish at the 4 spot in conference lol

I can easily see them hanging another L on BYU and taking third.

Gonzdb8
01-15-2015, 10:12 PM
+1

RenoZag
01-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Every game going forward not called by Heister and co. will have announcers just begging for an upset.

They'll root for the storyline, certainly.

Bocco
01-15-2015, 10:22 PM
GU can shut them up by taking the lead and once up by10 keep increasing it...not letting it slip away like the did against Pepperdine and allowing the possibility of an upset becoming the storyline.

hooter73
01-15-2015, 10:35 PM

honestly, no, probably not. Its how it crumbles though.

CdAZagFan
01-15-2015, 10:36 PM
Think they do have the talent to move up the ladder... but kind of had the feeling that this was one of those nights that anything they put up was going to go in. It'll be interesting to see the rematch in the Kennel. Shut down Davis and you shut them down.

Reborn
01-15-2015, 11:15 PM

Our very good shooting night from the field 57% plus shooting 50% from beyond the arc kind of evened out our poor free throw shooting. Scoring 78 points is good. The Zags problem tonight was their defense especially in the second half. The team really got into foul trouble and the players had to lay off and not guard. They played sloppy D, not moving their feet and reaching in over and over and over. Maybe getting to gym like two hours late may have been a problem in the long run......

Go Zags!!!

TheZagPhish
01-15-2015, 11:40 PM
Shame on you Pepperdine for nearly giving me "Heart Attack".

You and everyone else.

http://cl.ly/ZKIO/sesame-street-pass-out.gif

Nice work by Pepperdine. Awesome to see them playing so well.

Zagger
01-16-2015, 03:45 AM
You and everyone else.

http://cl.ly/ZKIO/sesame-street-pass-out.gif

Nice work by Pepperdine. Awesome to see them playing so well.

That's my wife and I when Pangos missed those two free throws near the end. We were peeking through fingers the next time. Whew!

WallaWallaZag
01-16-2015, 03:53 AM
pepp played really well the 2nd half, but i don't think it will be close when they visit the kennel...davis won't have every call go his way on the road and the zags will game plan for taking away the drives.

jazzdelmar
01-16-2015, 04:53 AM
Classy Coach.....

The Zags (17-1, 6-0 West Coast) arrived 25 minutes before the scheduled tipoff because of a traffic accident that caused one of two northbound lanes on Pacific Coast Highway to be closed for a while, creating lengthy delays. Pepperdine coach Marty Wilson agreed to delay the start by 33 minutes

"That was a big-time sportsmanship move by Marty," said Gonzaga coach Mark Few, who earned his 200th league win against 24 losses. "Next time we'll leave three hours early. I've done this 26 times and never seen anything like that."

ZagaZags
01-16-2015, 04:59 AM
The Pepperdine fans were awesome and the GU fans did a great job. It was my first time in Firestone Fieldhouse and I loved the atmosphere. The parking was terrible and the drive to the game was even worse, it took me 4 hours to go 100 miles to the game. All in all I had a great time at the game, the Waves will be a top 3 team in the WCC.

zagfan24
01-16-2015, 05:15 AM
Classy Coach.....

The Zags (17-1, 6-0 West Coast) arrived 25 minutes before the scheduled tipoff because of a traffic accident that caused one of two northbound lanes on Pacific Coast Highway to be closed for a while, creating lengthy delays. Pepperdine coach Marty Wilson agreed to delay the start by 33 minutes

"That was a big-time sportsmanship move by Marty," said Gonzaga coach Mark Few, who earned his 200th league win against 24 losses. "Next time we'll leave three hours early. I've done this 26 times and never seen anything like that."

Saw that and agree. I also thought this quote from Stacy Davis showcased his maturity and leadership: "That's a once-in-a-lifetime thing," Davis said. "I take full responsibility for not boxing out my man with two hands and giving him another chance at it."

Zaga
01-16-2015, 05:30 AM
I feel sorry for Portland coming into Malibu on Saturday. Great game for Pepperdine last night.

bballbeachbum
01-16-2015, 05:59 AM
that team has come a long way under Coach Wilson and has no seniors on the squad

zag67
01-16-2015, 06:12 AM
If SMC and BYU do their business then we will probably see them in semis. They played us well and the coach is doing a great job. But our free throw shooting was so bad, you wonder whether it was not having enough time before the game or was it something about the background. Also there were a couple of miracle shots that went in during their run. Like the banked three. But great job by their players and coaches. They are a team that really looks solid in the near future. They will be dangerous in Vegas.

SWZag
01-16-2015, 06:30 AM
Classy Coach.....

Read that and couldn't have agreed more. From what I read, Marty is coaching the right way and his teams are responding. A lot of times it's the little things that get overlooked by the general public that make the biggest difference. Simple sportsmanship is one of those things. Asset to the WCC, that's for certain and he's turning Pepperdine into what they once were.

DixieZag
01-16-2015, 06:35 AM
If SMC and BYU do their business then we will probably see them in semis. They played us well and the coach is doing a great job. But our free throw shooting was so bad, you wonder whether it was not having enough time before the game or was it something about the background. Also there were a couple of miracle shots that went in during their run. Like the banked three. But great job by their players and coaches. They are a team that really looks solid in the near future. They will be dangerous in Vegas.

Aren't they more likely to finish ahead of BYU? They've beaten BYU, have 2 losses in Conference, just like BYU, and don't they have SMC and BYU at home still coming up?

gonzagafan62
01-16-2015, 06:36 AM
Read that and couldn't have agreed more. From what I read, Marty is coaching the right way and his teams are responding. A lot of times it's the little things that get overlooked by the general public that make the biggest difference. Simple sportsmanship is one of those things. Asset to the WCC, that's for certain and he's turning Pepperdine into what they once were.

So agreed. Plus he really has a passion for WCC and Pepperdine athletics (basketball) since Marty played there before. I think he is a terrific coach, and the perfect coach for Malibu. These guys will be great soon, and possibly make the WCC more than just Gonzaga, St. Mary's and BYU. Maybe we can throw in Pepperdine soon too. I don't think that's happened quite yet, but next year, we will see a BIG difference.

Marty is a classy guy, and someone we really needed in the WCC.

Robzagnut
01-16-2015, 06:37 AM
It is great for the WCC to have a 4th team that can compete every year for the title. Looks like it is going to be Pepperdine. I hope they can maintain it once their current class of players cycles through.

Zagsker
01-16-2015, 07:22 AM

they were ok but nothing great. Last night was a "team playing in front of their home crowd against a highly ranked opponent who got somewhat lazy with a 15+ point lead and shot WELL below their avg at the ft line leading to the home team making some shots and making the game a lot closer than it really should have" type of game

We trounce by 20+ when they come to Spokane

Zagsker
01-16-2015, 07:25 AM
Classy Coach.....

Wouldn't this just be a common sense thing...Marty either agrees to it (like every other coach in America would) or he looks like a massive ######

cjm720
01-16-2015, 07:27 AM
Pepp's a good team that continues to improve. The young and talented roster should be in the top half of the league for the next couple years. Last night they exploited some match up problems...we had difficulty with Jett, Stacy, and Lamond Murray off the bench. Sure, free throws were the primary difference in the game but Pepp came to play and I was overall impressed...especially the second half alterations...doubling down low got them back in the game.

Kiddwell
01-16-2015, 07:52 AM
I am sure they will devote their recruiting efforts to get a decent big man as a top priority
hats off to their coach - I was afraid he would put a BB uni on and kick our butts

Pretty sure the Waves already have the Bigs in house. Not sure if they're redshirting them or what -- Nate Gehring (6-10; #72 Center) and Ryan Keenan (6-10, C). They've also got 3-star high-schooler, Kameron Evans (PF, 6-6), coming in next year. If one looks at the ESPN "stars" ratings for a lot of Pepperdine's guys, they don't impress. But clearly Coach Marty Wilson can spot talent as "low-star" guys like Raines and Davis can flat-out play.

This fan thinks Pepperdine nudges SMC aside as the 2nd/3rd best program in conference. If Randy Bennett can keep his boys competitive, though, a New Era may be shortly in the offing--the WCC sending four teams to the Dance. And, maybe, regularly. Exciting times.

:]

hooter73
01-16-2015, 08:10 AM
WCC will never send four teams. If Pep edges past SMC for a while, SMC will have fallen enough to not be of interest to anyone... kind of like they are now (Yeah I know theyre leading the standings). They will never play a good enough OOC schedule to make a case for a bid at #3 or #4 in the WCC. GU, BYU and one other is the best we could ever hope for.

All in my opinion of course.

Kiddwell
01-16-2015, 08:36 AM
If the A10 can put six teams into the 2014 Big Dance, the WCC can put four in -- Dayton, George Washington, St. Joe's, Saint Louis, UMass, VCU.

soccerdud
01-16-2015, 10:46 AM
If the A10 can put six teams into the 2014 Big Dance, the WCC can put four in -- Dayton, George Washington, St. Joe's, Saint Louis, UMass, VCU.

sure, the WCC can field 4 teams good enough to be in the dance-- but i think the point hooter was making is that SMC will never have the *resume* to get in as an at-large team at #3/4 in the WCC, unless their scheduling philosophy changes. that is the way that they differ from those A10 teams (and GU/BYU). you just can't be that low in a conference like ours (size/competition level/public perception) UNLESS you're willing to leave home and play some good teams in the OOC.

props to them for scheduling st. john's this year... but other than that pretty much their best non-conference away game since 2011 was @boise state. that just won't get it done. and the proof is in the pudding, see last year and 2011.

bballbeachbum
01-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Pepp's a good team that continues to improve. The young and talented roster should be in the top half of the league for the next couple years. Last night they exploited some match up problems...we had difficulty with Jett, Stacy, and Lamond Murray off the bench. Sure, free throws were the primary difference in the game but Pepp came to play and I was overall impressed...especially the second half alterations...doubling down low got them back in the game.

Kent had similar ideas defensively too in the sense of changing the D at half to respond and defend the post, but waiting until half to do it. now I don't know if that's because they don't want to show their full hand before half so the Zags can adjust, and the answer probably also includes not wanting to open up the Zag passing game and 3 point shooters by doubling or playing other Ds to plug the post that's being overrun, but the poor Zag FTs left it open to affect things which it did like you said

john montana
01-16-2015, 10:57 AM
SMC They will never play a good enough OOC schedule to make a case for a bid at #3 or #4 in the WCC. GU, BYU and one other is the best we could ever hope for.

All in my opinion of course.

I totally agree here. I think SMC is, and has been really good...clearly good enough to be an NCAA tournament team most years, but they don't schedule well enough to prove it. 2011 they miss out despite a gaudy record and very good team is a great example. That team was absolutely good enough to be in the tourny, but Bennett killed them with their schedule.

sittingon50
01-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Aren't they more likely to finish ahead of BYU? They've beaten BYU, have 2 losses in Conference, just like BYU, and don't they have SMC and BYU at home still coming up?

They played (& lost by 9) to SMC @ home.

DixieZag
01-16-2015, 11:57 AM
They played (& lost by 9) to SMC @ home.

Ok, I see now. Thx.

Well, still possible they beat SMC on the road. They beat BYU at home. They have more confidence now.

They still have a chance to at least finish with the same number of losses as SMC (2, assuming we beat SMC both times and Pepp at home). So, there's a chance they finish2/3, correct?

seacatfan
01-16-2015, 12:09 PM
I understand arriving at the arena late threw off the normal pre-game routine, but I'm not understanding how the team could shoot so well from the field and so poorly from the FT line. Granted almost all of Sabonis 9-9 FG were point blank range and there were some other close in shots, but some jumpers as well. Somehow the background/lighting/pick your excuse only affected FT's? Really? Agree with some others. Pepperdine with a spirited effort, hit some tough shots, refused to go away, but Zags turned a comfortable double digit win into a nail biter due to abysmal FT shooting. That can't happen.

seacatfan
01-16-2015, 12:12 PM
I would be SHOCKED if the WCC ever got 4 teams in the Dance. I think they've gotten 3 in on 2 occasions (including once before BYU joined). I don't 3 is going to happen regularly, and I just can't see 4 ever occurring. Too many of the teams don't have anything even remotely resembling an at-large worthy resume.

gonzagafan62
01-16-2015, 12:15 PM
sure, the WCC can field 4 teams good enough to be in the dance-- but i think the point hooter was making is that SMC will never have the *resume* to get in as an at-large team at #3/4 in the WCC, unless their scheduling philosophy changes. that is the way that they differ from those A10 teams (and GU/BYU). you just can't be that low in a conference like ours (size/competition level/public perception) UNLESS you're willing to leave home and play some good teams in the OOC.

props to them for scheduling st. john's this year... but other than that pretty much their best non-conference away game since 2011 was @boise state. that just won't get it done. and the proof is in the pudding, see last year and 2011.

Exactly. Randy Bennett is a whiner. If he actually went out and played real teams (whether he won most of them or only won a few), his teams would regularly be in the Big Dance..... Instead, he gets to go to the NIT. Maybe he should take notes from BYU.... At least the Cougs usually make it in, and isn't that was SMC is trying to do ? Make it in?

He never knows what he is doing. He is a good coach, besides the scheduling part, and that takes a lot of value off him IMO. He needs to just go play big time games on the road. The road games against big time teams (even if you lose) is more helpful then playing a Podunk team (say Cal State Fullerton or somebody) at home. Gotta go to the road if you are legitly going to be in ...

gonzagafan62
01-16-2015, 12:18 PM
I would be SHOCKED if the WCC ever got 4 teams in the Dance. I think they've gotten 3 in on 2 occasions (including once before BYU joined). I don't 3 is going to happen regularly, and I just can't see 4 ever occurring. Too many of the teams don't have anything even remotely resembling an at-large worthy resume.

Honestly, not me. I could see one day BYU, Gonzaga, Pepperdine, and SMC getting in. These are the four teams with the best coaches in my opinion. Marty Wilson is not afraid to go to the road. neither is BYU or Gonzaga. If we ever have a chance at this it will be with Pepperdine and Marty Wilson. And they would need to start winning non-league games on the road, which is possible. They need to start winning the games like Iowa and Arizona State that were on their schedule this season. I think they can next year if they return Davis and stay healthy. this team has some real confidence.

DADoZAG
01-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Classy Coach.....

Tru dat.

Marty has his players believing, congrats to him and his players for going all in.

It all starts with the top dog of a program, and Marty has the makings of Best in Show.

Go ZAGS!

DixieZag
01-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Tru dat.

Marty has his players believing, congrats to him and his players for going all in.

It all starts with the top dog of a program, and Marty has the makings of Best in Show.

Go ZAGS!

Very true. And, he's doing it with the huge benefit of being able to point to recruits that he arrived when they were in shambles on the bottom. He can say the program will be stable and it has not peaked in any way. They are also in a state/area that has huge talent close by.

If I were Pepp, I'd try to sign him to a long term deal very soon.

Zagger
01-16-2015, 12:54 PM
I understand arriving at the arena late threw off the normal pre-game routine, but I'm not understanding how the team could shoot so well from the field and so poorly from the FT line. Granted almost all of Sabonis 9-9 FG were point blank range and there were some other close in shots, but some jumpers as well. Somehow the background/lighting/pick your excuse only affected FT's? Really? Agree with some others. Pepperdine with a spirited effort, hit some tough shots, refused to go away, but Zags turned a comfortable double digit win into a nail biter due to abysmal FT shooting. That can't happen.

The Zag FT performance was an aberration. Main factor IMHO is that they were rattled by Pepperdine's comeback from double digits even thought the Zags were shooting OK. Good thing the Zags are deep. Could have been Pangos' hair too.

kitzbuel
01-16-2015, 01:08 PM
I feel sorry for Portland coming into Malibu on Saturday. Great game for Pepperdine last night.
I would pick Portland. Waves are going to be on an emotional hangover.

BULLDOG#1
01-16-2015, 01:09 PM
OK, they're a rising program and have a good coach.

But isn't pouring this much love on them a bit much?

They had a great win at BYU -- but having seen both teams play, I think BYU wins 8 out of 10 games with them.

It feels like folks on this board are so desperate to get more competition in the WCC that compliments fly. Davis is a nice player, but come on ... he isn't an NBA'er. He made some great shots in the second half last night - some looked a bit lucky. Also, the refs gave him some phantom calls (shem and dom straight up). Zags hit half their throws, some of the lucky bounces go the zags way, and off the backboard prayer 3's don't fall and it's a 20+ point win for the zags.

Pepp is coming on, but they've got some climbing to do before they're SMC or BYU.

DixieZag
01-16-2015, 01:27 PM

They had a great win at BYU -- but having seen both teams play, I think BYU wins 8 out of 10 games with them.

It feels like folks on this board are so desperate to get more competition in the WCC that compliments fly. Davis is a nice player, but come on ... he isn't an NBA'er. He made some great shots in the second half last night - some looked a bit lucky. Also, the refs gave him some phantom calls (shem and dom straight up). Zags hit half their throws, some of the lucky bounces go the zags way, and off the backboard prayer 3's don't fall and it's a 20+ point win for the zags.

Pepp is coming on, but they've got some climbing to do before they're SMC or BYU.

Much of the praise is based on trend. He took them from the very very bottom. They weren't intimidated. And, they're young.

TheZagPhish
01-16-2015, 01:29 PM

I think that many here recognize that it's hard to rebuild a program, and that Marty Wilson has done something special down there. Maybe that casts their efforts in more favorable light. OTOH, the conference is getting better and Pepp is a good reflection of that growth. That's laudable, too.

I see much to like, and I respect any team that can take this group of Bulldogs to the wire in a tight game. Not many have.

MDABE80
01-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Seriously.....they gave us a good game because we let them. Defense fell apart and the free throws missed kept them in the game. Up and comers to be sure but this past night GU kept the Waves in the game. Just look at the penetration into the key! Where was the defense??? Slippage is the right word.