PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game- Pepperdine - 1.15.2015

RenoZag
01-15-2015, 09:14 PM
Breathing a big sigh of relief Zag fans ??

The free throw bug was contagious tonight yet the Bulldogs managed to leave the gym with a "W"against a much-improved Pepperdine club.

FINAL STATS (http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=72057&a=1)

Which player made the difference in a two point win ?

Akzag
01-15-2015, 09:14 PM
Domas Da Dude

Mantua
01-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Wiltjer.

U Zig, I Zag
KW, all the way.

ZagLawGrad
KW--he saved our a***ses

gonzagafan62
01-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Sabonis 9-9 from the field.

former1dog
01-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Tough call, Sabonis played great, but Wiltjer played just stupid great when it counted most.

honorable mention to the Pepperdine rims.

LongIslandZagFan
01-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Voted for Sabonis... but the MVP was the damn rims that seemed to keep every Zag shot out.

ZagNative
Sabonis. He was great!

Birddog
Great game by Wiltjer but I have to go with Domas, he saved our butts on the glass.

U Zig, I Zag
Hard to argue against 9 for 9, but I think KW came in the second half and single-handily kept us alive. So I'll give the points run value over a great shooting game.

Bocco
01-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Kyle Wiltjer 24 pts, 8rbs, and he was 6-7 from the line ... the rest of the team 8-26. Domos played great too.

hooter73
01-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Holy crap on a cracker that was... diofferent.

Wiltjer turned up his desire tonight more than Ive ever seen. It got handicaped by the substitutions but him and Melson were the two that kept us in the game... when we were in the game.

MTZag03
01-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Analogy for freethrows tonight: the first time my wife was pregnant she took our parked new car and crashed it into the parked new car next to her. Today with her pregnant again she took our car and crashed into the side of the garage. It's a little upsetting, but no real damage was done. Tonight feels like her getting her obligatory pregnancy crash out of the way. Gonzaga could have chosen to miss seventeen freethrows against Arizona. Instead they did it against Pepperdine and still got the W. All said, we survived a tough tough game while putting on the worst freethrow shooting display I've ever seen a GU team display. My G Unit is Mr Freethrow himself Wiltjer.

RenoZag
01-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Wiltjer saved the day

basketballzag
01-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Sabonis with 18 and 12 double double won it for me followed very closely by KW.

MickMick
01-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Sabonis

Baseline
01-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Sabonis - His early scoring and rebounding kept us in it.
kyle had a great game also.

Some serious defense issues with an athletic dribble drive!

tyra
01-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Clearly it was either Kyle W or Sabonis. But I gotta say how pleased I was with Silas' game tonight in every regard.

scott257
01-15-2015, 09:26 PM
On a night where the refs were calling air fouls, Pangos throws up an air ball, and no one could make a free throw, I would suggest that Mark Few and the coaching staff earned the game ball tonight.

FuManShoes
01-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Sabonis. Huge stat line, huge boards, huge buckets. That tip-in that looked like a fluke? He makes impossible catches and angles look easy. What a stud. Wiltjer was great too but needs to be a tougher rebounder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kitzbuel
01-15-2015, 09:30 PM
I really wanted to go with Sabonis, but given tonight's issues one stat makes me give it to Wiltjer. 6/7 fts.

cjm720
01-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Co-GUnit!

caduceus
01-15-2015, 09:58 PM
It's a team game, but Wiltjer made the points when it counted the most. Props to Sabonis, equally deserving.

DixieZag
01-15-2015, 10:07 PM
It's a team game, but Wiltjer made the points when it counted the most. Props to Sabonis, equally deserving.

That's the reasoning for my pick.

There were moments tonight when no one else on the floor for us could really score, and we needed to. And, he made very tough shots and hardly missed.

CdAZagFan
01-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Wiltjer kept slamming the door on their comebacks in the 2nd half - and he looked so effortless doing it. Sabonis was great also, but it was Wiltjer that kept this game in the W column. I should add that Melson really is starting to come along. Once Perkins got hurt, I thought we lost a lot and have been waiting for Melson to fill Perkins shoes a little bit - tonight I thought he hit some big shots, had a steal and overall didn't look overwhelmed by the moment.

2wiceright
01-15-2015, 10:41 PM
Wiltjer kept responding to late challenges... Sabonis equally deserving. Tonight I'll sleep well with the W and give it to Wiltjer!

Reborn
01-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Wiltjer. Yes Sabonis was very good. His best game this year, and he had a huge part in the victory. His rebounding was just awesome. He was an animal on hte boards. BUT. Sabonis lead the team in the first half, and Wiltjer carried them the second half. He had so many awesome shots, and as was said almost answering every bucket that Pepperdine would make. Pepperdine play great. Give them credit. A couple of guys really shot well. And Davis is almost unstoppable. I got to go with Wiltjer becauuse he got it going when it really was on the line. I too give Melson credit. This was his second big game in a row, and tonight his shot making really made a different, as was his D. Dranginis, although not scoring, played solid.

Go Zags!!!

Zagger
01-16-2015, 03:13 AM
Clearly it was either Kyle W or Sabonis. But I gotta say how pleased I was with Silas' game tonight in every regard.
Http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/gozagstinysignguyglassescolor.png

bartruff1
01-16-2015, 05:48 AM
All the baskets count the same,..... but in crunch time, ........they count more...... because your opponent has a limited amount of time and possessions to match them...

Sabonis is a joy to watch........ but, I voted for Wiltjer...imo...he won the game...

HillBillyZag
01-16-2015, 06:27 AM
As usual, Draino played key minutes with unselfish passing, tough defense, his usual aggressive boarding plus the other workmanlike things he does to make him arguably the most important and least appreciated ( by the fans) role player on this team. He did miss both shots he took, so there's plenty of room for improvement. He could start for the majority of the opponents we've faced. Yeah, I luv him!

SWZag
01-16-2015, 06:34 AM
As usual, Draino played key minutes with unselfish passing, tough defense, his usual aggressive boarding plus the other workmanlike things he does to make him arguably the most important and least appreciated ( by the fans) role player on this team. He did miss both shots he took, so there's plenty of room for improvement. He could start for the majority of the opponents we've faced. Yeah, I luv him!

Keep being impressed by his game. Loved the the drive in the second half where he got right to the rim but couldn't finish (although Wiltjer did). Loved the replay and he made it look simple getting past three defenders. He's one of those silent, hard-working types that is often under-appreciated.

gozagswoohoo
01-16-2015, 06:41 AM
Wiltjer kept slamming the door on their comebacks in the 2nd half - and he looked so effortless doing it. Sabonis was great also, but it was Wiltjer that kept this game in the W column. I should add that Melson really is starting to come along. Once Perkins got hurt, I thought we lost a lot and have been waiting for Melson to fill Perkins shoes a little bit - tonight I thought he hit some big shots, had a steal and overall didn't look overwhelmed by the moment.

Great post. My sentiments exactly. My vote goes to Wiltjer. I love how he will hit a huge, or a very difficult shot, and then the camera pans to him and he always has this look on his face....hard to explain it...but it's almost like 'that was really easy...and I'm having fun...and I'm a lot better than you". Haha. Am I the only one that see's that look?

gonzagafan62
01-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Great post. My sentiments exactly. My vote goes to Wiltjer. I love how he will hit a huge, or a very difficult shot, and then the camera pans to him and he always has this look on his face....hard to explain it...but it's almost like 'that was really easy...and I'm having fun...and I'm a lot better than you". Haha. Am I the only one that see's that look?

You mean one of these, where he is laughing at the opponent?

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/175/115/hi-res-20bea1b3220709d7c0ca75f955f6864b_crop_exact.jpg?w= 1500&h=1500&q=85

zagfan24
01-16-2015, 06:56 AM
Wiltjer, Sabonis, Dranginis, and Melson all played really well last night. My vote for GUnit ultimately went to Wiltjer as he never appeared rattled and seems to be the best option in "must-score" situations. Domas hitting the boards with ferocity was also key. Finally, agree with HBZ that Dranginis' contribution may not always show up in the boxscore but he certainly does a lot of "little things," including being in constant motion on offense which no doubt wears out his defender...reminds me of Rip Hamilton if he could only perfect the little 12-15 foot shot of a curl.

mgadfly
01-16-2015, 11:04 AM
8 for 16 vs 9 for 9.

If everyone would have played as well as Sabonis there wouldn't have been a crunch time.

But those are two fantastic power forwards.

MDABE80
01-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Big points and big rebounding with lots of effort= Domas