PDA

View Full Version : The official Wooden Watch: Pangos and Wiltjer

flytiezag
01-14-2015, 08:08 AM
GOOD FOR KYLE. http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/woodenwatch150114/list-shrinks PANGOS ON LIST ALSO http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12166531/five-freshmen-wooden-award-midseason-top-25

gonzagafan62
01-14-2015, 08:12 AM
The official midseason watch (not done by ESPN) has Kevin Pangos and Kyle Wiltjer both on the list.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12166531/five-freshmen-wooden-award-midseason-top-25

gonzagafan62
01-14-2015, 08:12 AM
Good press makes the rankings justifiable to some. I like this well rounded team, and Kyle is a big part of that. Go Zags

FuManShoes
01-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Here's the blurb on Wiltjer. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this: "Two seasons ago, the Zags were a No. 1 seed. This team is better. Wiltjer is why." Like others, including diehard Wiltjer and Zag fans, I'd argue the reason this team is better - if it's better - is that it's deeper and more balanced. It has two big men who can punish defenses by scoring or passing to shooters and slashers and clogging the middle. Wiltjer is a very talented complementary piece on this team, and a matchup nightmare, but is nowhere near balanced enough of a player offensively and defensively, or a good enough passer and ball handler, to be considered ahead of Pangos and others for a Wooden Award.

5. Kyle Wiltjer, Gonzaga
Previous ranking: NR
It was totally possible to see Kyle Wiltjer coming. After all, Wiltjer was about as high-profile as transfers come: He was the second man off the bench in Kentucky's 2011-12 national title run, and he was the focus of immense frustration as the 2012-13 Wildcats slid out of contention and into the NIT. Meanwhile, he was transferring to a program where his mix of stretch-4 shooting and traditional-4 post work would slot in perfectly alongside senior point guard Kevin Pangos and 7-1 center Przemek Karnowski. In October, we assumed Wiltjer, and Gonzaga, would be good.

Still, it's time to confess: We had no idea he'd be great. But he has been. Wiltjer is averaging 16.4 points and 5.1 rebounds in 25 minutes per game. He's shooting 43 percent from 3 -- exactly the same rate as his spot-up work in limited minutes for Kentucky three seasons ago -- and a career-high-by-a-mile 56 percent inside the arc. His offensive rating is 126.8, which he has achieved despite taking over a third of available shots while on the floor. Individually, in its own right, Wiltjer's relocation has been an astounding success.

Yet Wiltjer's arrival in Spokane looks even more impressive in the context of the Bulldogs' season. He has relieved Karnowski of the pressure of being Gonzaga's lone low-post scorer, allowing the Polish big man to flourish as a second option (and a suddenly amazing post passer). He's arguably been even better for Pangos, who can now sit back, choose his spots, and punish teams for focusing too much attention on the frontcourt. Thanks to less usage and better setups, Pangos is currently enjoying the highest shooting percentages of his career (54 percent from 2, 49 percent from 3), the highest assist rate, the lowest turnover rate, and by far the highest offensive rating -- an absurd 141.5 mark, the nation's third highest.

Gonzaga has a very realistic shot of winning the rest of its regular-season games and entering March with one loss, at Arizona, in overtime. Two seasons ago, the Zags were a No. 1 seed. This team is better. Wiltjer is why.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-14-2015, 08:29 AM
THAT IS PRETTY COOL. THEY ARE BOTH DESERVING CANDIDATES.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-14-2015, 08:45 AM
The balance on this team is just so enticing. I think any of our starting 5 could keep us going offensively if too much attention is successfully focused on the other 4. Clog the post? We've got threes for that. Double the post? We've got excellent post passing. Go straight up man-to-man or zone? You better have top notch length and athleticism to have a chance. Zone against us is too risky because we are already good at offensive rebounding.

The only type of defense we haven't found an answer for was the trapping zone ran by Cal Poly. Even in that game we would have blown them out early with decent shooting.

This team not only has good all-around guards who can shoot coupled with great back to the basket scorers (which only a few teams have in any given season), but they have the players who can turn a tough 13-18 foot jumper opportunity into a high-percentage floater by attacking the rim. See Byron, Kevin, and the Kyles.

With what I've seen so far, we can only stop ourselves offensively. A bad night is all that will keep us from scoring. On average, we play 10-20 minutes of quality, intense defense per game. If we can crank that up to 25-33 minutes per game depending on opponent, we can be truly elite on a level we haven't been on before. Adding McClellan and hopefully Perkins can make this happen. The more quality depth we have, the better.

Zagger
01-14-2015, 08:46 AM
"This team is better. Wiltjer is why."
I'd rather see ..... "This team is better. Wiltjer is certainly a contributing factor."

I do feel the team is better than 2 years ago - as a team. But, there are a lot of games left. I believe the Zags will win out through the WCC and against Memphis - due to ALL the talent on the team. If the starters are off for some reason the Zags have 5 more who I feel can beat any WCC team at home or away. Depth, desire and defense are 3 good reasons why GU is 16-1. I feel, all things considered, desire is the key and both Kevin and Gary IMHO are tops in that department (with a host of Zags on their heels).

DixieZag
01-14-2015, 08:58 AM
I'd rather see ..... "This team is better. Wiltjer is certainly a contributing factor."

I do feel the team is better than 2 years ago - as a team. But, there are a lot of games left. I believe the Zags will win out through the WCC and against Memphis - due to ALL the talent on the team. If the starters are off for some reason the Zags have 5 more who I feel can beat any WCC team at home or away. Depth, desire and defense are 3 good reasons why GU is 16-1. I feel, all things considered, desire is the key and both Kevin and Gary IMHO are tops in that department (with a host of Zags on their heels).

Such a good post.

I have done the thought experiment; "Who would I rather have at the four? Kelly or KW" and of course it's likely kind of like someone asking which of your children you'd rather have. Luckily, I don't have to pick b/c we have who we have, no overlap.

Still, deep in my brain, I think that by a sliver, the answer is KO. It may change by the end of the year. But, KO was an All - American and so the "sliver" is actually a huge compliment. I think for this team, I'd rather have KW, b/c he fills a more needed role. We have the guys that can bang (IMHO), but we don't have the assassin shooting forward beyond him. Just me.

I think this team is better and KW is a huge contributing factor, as you noted.

I'm sure others disagree.

hooter73
01-14-2015, 09:28 AM
No sliver for me, but youre right, for this team, with Karno now established, KW works in this role pretty well.

Zagdawg
01-14-2015, 09:45 AM
I like that KW is getting the press-- let all our other opponents read this and game plan for him in our upcoming games-- after the game our opponents will be wondering how they lost when they game planned for our "best" player-- gotta agree with the folks who feel that Kyle is a piece of the puzzle -- but we have many great pieces of the puzzle that are contributing to our success.

Zagger
01-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Kinda cool too is that there are 3 teams with 2 players each in the Watch: Duke, Gonzaga and Louisville.
Go Zags!

zag67
01-14-2015, 10:48 AM
I also like all of the press. Zagdawg has super reasons. Also, after Kelly, and now Kyle, hopefully other recruits will look at them and decide to come here because our staff does a great job of making players better and ready for a professional career. Hopefully GU will also show this with Edwards.

Hoopaholic
01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
we have the same number of kids from WCC on this list as the PAC 12 does interesting

cjm720
01-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Here's the blurb on Wiltjer. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this: "Two seasons ago, the Zags were a No. 1 seed. This team is better. Wiltjer is why." Like others, including diehard Wiltjer and Zag fans, I'd argue the reason this team is better - if it's better - is that it's deeper and more balanced. It has two big men who can punish defenses by scoring or passing to shooters and slashers and clogging the middle. Wiltjer is a very talented complementary piece on this team, and a matchup nightmare, but is nowhere near balanced enough of a player offensively and defensively, or a good enough passer and ball handler, to be considered ahead of Pangos and others for a Wooden Award.

Yep...replace Wiltjer with Olynyk on this team and we'd be just as good or better IMO. That's more of a compliment to KO than a diss on KW.

Bogozags
01-14-2015, 12:35 PM
I also like all of the press. Zagdawg has super reasons. Also, after Kelly, and now Kyle, hopefully other recruits will look at them and decide to come here because our staff does a great job of making players better and ready for a professional career. Hopefully GU will also show this with Edwards.

One added note...Edwards will be #3 as far as the RS Year goes...if he comes in next year showing marked improvement, then that will mean three in a row...hard to argue with that kind of success...especially, if KW plays next year as he will undoubtedly be our "go-to-guy" and a possible AA and high draft pick...who knows...The Shadow knows...

rennis
01-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Yep...replace Wiltjer with Olynyk on this team and we'd be just as good or better IMO. That's more of a compliment to KO than a diss on KW.

Absolutely. The balance, addition of a wing, and experienced guard play are what make this team better than the 2013 squad. Head to head Wiltjer vs. Olynyk... love Wiltjer's game and what he brings to the table but Kelly would make this team even better.

OZZY
01-14-2015, 03:47 PM

+1

Imagine KO at power forward with Karno at centre. Even Kentucky would have great difficulty in stopping them.

KO at power forward would also shoot more threes then he did playing the five as he did.

Reborn
01-14-2015, 04:24 PM
Kelly Olynyk would be taking minutes from PK not Wiltjer. I wish people could get their facts straight. And KO is NOT better then Wiltjer. They are both good and play completely different positions and completely different styles. Olynyk could not shot the 3 like Kyle. And Wiltjer was a better post up player.

Anyway congrats to our Zags, both Kyle and Kevin.

Baseline
01-14-2015, 05:07 PM
One added note...Edwards will be #3 as far as the RS Year goes...if he comes in next year showing marked improvement, then that will mean three in a row...hard to argue with that kind of success...especially, if KW plays next year as he will undoubtedly be our "go-to-guy" and a possible AA and high draft pick...who knows...The Shadow knows...

An interesting comment! I have noticed that Edwards seems to be taking the training seriously, from just seeing him on the sideline. He appears to have really slimmed done with the baby fat gone and a nice jaw line. Does anyone know how he is looking in practice and what he is working on to improve. Also would love to hear something on Alberts.