PDA

View Full Version : Do the Rankings make you nervous?

Zag 77
01-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Now we are ranked #4 in both polls. Getting dangerously close to the top spot. Not impossible that the teams ahead of us could lose and we could be voted #1. Does that make you nervous? Should it? Am I just worried that the bigger we get, the harder we might fall?

High ranking makes us a bigger target. Paranoid types might think the NCAA might be looking to screw us somehow when tournament pairings come out. Talking heads will be looking to sharpen their knives to attack us.

Yikes, it was easier being Cinderella.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Numero tres in los dos.

Nervous? Nah. Many of these guys were around two years ago. They know it's all about how you play, not the little number next to the name of the school in the crawler on ESPN. If we had a younger team, then my answer would be different.

coolhandzag
01-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Polls? Power Rankings? Lanardi? Whatever.

Rebound. Defend. Execute. Improve. Pepperdine is next. The bracket will take care of itself.

TheZagPhish
01-13-2015, 03:45 PM
You said it, CZ.

Polls are merely where objective data meets subjective noise making. Our team lives on the data side of that system, while the rest is mostly bloviating about the meaning of this or that. There is no real importance to any of it, outside of maybe providing a shifty, relative snapshot in time.

Beat Pepperdine.

DixieZag
01-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Numero tres in los dos.

Nervous? Nah. Many of these guys were around two years ago. They know it's all about how you play, not the little number next to the name of the school in the crawler on ESPN. If we had a younger team, then my answer would be different.

That's a good answer.

I'd be more nervous if we had a young team.

The leaders, Gary and Kevin, they've been the hunters and the hunted, they're fine.

Besides, if there was ever a good year to have high expectations, it's this year, when half the world gave the national championship to Kentucky before the year started. Every other team is a hunter.

Zagger
01-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Nope. Maybe giddy http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuy.png http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlasses.png http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

BTB
01-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Not at all. I think we should always strive to be ranked number 1

zagamatic
01-13-2015, 05:39 PM
I don't particularly care about rankings (although it's really nice gravy). I do care about the record and post season progress. Most importantly, I want to see both individual and team progress in each game. I. E. Let's get better every time out. Having a great record doesn't mean much if you're barely getting a W.

bartruff1
01-13-2015, 05:41 PM
no

caduceus
01-13-2015, 06:16 PM

http://i.imgur.com/yKm2MsL.gif

ZagsGoZags
01-13-2015, 06:17 PM
Now we are ranked #4 in both polls. Getting dangerously close to the top spot. Not impossible that the teams ahead of us could lose and we could be voted #1. Does that make you nervous? Should it? Am I just worried that the bigger we get, the harder we might fall?

High ranking makes us a bigger target. Paranoid types might think the NCAA might be looking to screw us somehow when tournament pairings come out. Talking heads will be looking to sharpen their knives to attack us.

Zag 77, we are 3 rank in BPI, ESPN power ratings, AP and Coaches poll. rank 7 in RPI
does not make me nervous

Mantua
01-13-2015, 07:30 PM
The rankings don't make me nervous, but the next game always makes me nervous.

Zag365
01-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Realistically, I think we are somewhere in the 8 to 12 range. So, hell yes I'm nervous. Not for the team, but for long-term perception of the program and the WCC. This year's team will keep cranking out season wins and continue to stay in Top 5 because you don't get punished for winning. But, in the tourney, if we don't get to E8 after being ranked in Top 5, unwarranted criticism will be leveled on basis of a not achieving (inflated) expectations.

P.S. I'm not saying we can't make FF or win it all -- I'm just not ready to rank us as the 3rd best MBB team in D-1.

Malastein
01-14-2015, 12:39 AM
This team more than any other deserves a high ranking. Either McClellan or Perkins needs to shore up the back up point minutes, but there's a lot of good going on and this team is still really learning to play together as a singular unit. They've come a long, long way but there's still missed opportunities especially with guys being in position for corner 3s.

TravelinZag
01-14-2015, 02:29 AM
Why? Zags already circled on opponents' calendars. Recruiting targets also look at rankings, so do selection committee members. This team was never going to fly under the radar (although potential return of injured players could get overlooked in scouting reports). Concern would be valid if team lacked maturity to handle the pressure. Don't believe that is a problem for the Zags.

LongIslandZagFan
01-14-2015, 04:32 AM
No. And after watching that Duke game, I wasn't overly impressed with them.

zagfan24
01-14-2015, 05:47 AM
More than ever, I'm trying to just enjoy the journey this year. Other fans' perceptions will be what they will...we know that nothing short of an E8 or F4 run will put an end to that. Whether or not the Zags are the 3rd best team in the country is all a matter of debate and conjecture anyway. Even the tournament really doesn't answer that question. As it stands, the coaches and media both appear to think this team has earned that ranking, and what an honor it is. Props to Coach Few, to the incredible seniors, and to the whole Zag team. TBIYTC for sure.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-14-2015, 06:46 AM
I like to see our name near the top of the polls, but I hope we learned our lesson 2 years ago in regard to putting too much stock into them. I'd rather be unranked and make a Final Four than be #1 and lose on the first weekend. Last time around it seemed like much of Spokane felt the opposite way. I saw GU had a huge "1" cake and there were "We're No. 1!" shirts all over town. I just shook my head and thought "THIS TEAM IS FUN TO WATCH BUT WE HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING YET!"

The polls don't make me nervous at all. I just like to be in the top 5 because of all the hate that comes along with it. I get a great deal of laughs and joy from quickly scrolling through Twitter to see the same tired comments about us. Just seeing how wound up losers get over a POLL that means NOTHING makes me feel a lot better about myself and my priorities.

It'd be cool to get the top spot again this year, but personally I don't think Kentucky should be bounced from the top spot until they lose 3 games. They've beaten what.. 3 top 10 teams and a couple more that are ranked?

gonzagafan62
01-14-2015, 06:54 AM
I never fear the polls.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-14-2015, 07:03 AM
The only thing related to rankings that makes me nervous is if the team begins to feel content with what they've achieved prematurely as a result of all the hype for being ranked #3.

After watching Duke lose to Miami, I couldn't help but think our guards are not quick enough to beat the Duke pressure off the dribble, which as Miami Coach Larranaga pointed out is the key to beating a team that extends pressure like that.

That insight and the Arizona game (and after losing to Oregon State we gotta wonder how good Arizona really is) cause me to worry that as much as I love these Zags and as good as they are, it may all come crashing down against an uber athletic, quick team. WCC schedule is not preparing them for that, but as a poster stated on another thread, hopefully the talent level we have this year lets them prepare for such in practice. Zags also have to focus on building up their defensive intensity too, which WCC foes are not forcing them to do either.

zag67
01-14-2015, 07:18 AM
I agree Flex. I hope the coaching staff is working so many minutes a week on pressure up front and full and half court presses. Ball movement is going to be the key to pressure up front. Movement of the ball quickly and not letting the trap happen. Also I think that Eric and Wesley can help against the taller teams. And also our bigs may need to come out and help. All of them can handle the ball well

I think our key is the old statement, "one game at a time". We may lose but I hope it is because some team beats us by shooting 70 percent from the field and not because we let down and let them win. Just keep doing what you do and in just over 7 weeks I want to see you in person when you are 31-1 and playing the WCC tournament. Go Zags.

OregonZag5
01-14-2015, 07:26 AM
Yes, it does make me nervous- as in the end if we do not match that ranking, the articles start appearing about how overrated the Zags( WCC) are etc etc. Would much rather be lower ranked and achieving higher. I do think there are writers out there who want to knock any team and at time the Zags are the target. As I just got back from Dallas and the articles are there about how soft the Ducks were etc- There are always people out there who get joy out of putting teams( people) down. But now am ready for Vegas and Seattle( or Portland) as I do not need my heart broken twice in the same year ( Duck born- Zag educated).