PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Pepperdine...predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
01-13-2015, 10:17 AM
I believe that this will be the most difficult conference game so far. Yes! More difficult then both the BYU game and the Portland game, and the San Diego game. Why do I say this? Pepperdine beat all those teams accept Portland, and they will play them at Pepperdine on Thursday.
When you look at them statistically they really don't look as good as they are. But when you look at their win loss record, especially in conference, they look real good. Stacy Davis, their power forward, is the key to their success. He's a very, very good player with a very high IQ for the game. Jeremy Majors is also very good. He is their point guard. Jett Rains, a junior is the second leading scorer. I do not remember him from last year. They are a team who likes to slow it down on offense, and they will love to keep the game in the 60's. So Gonzaga will need to push the ball up court and try to get the game into the 70's, That, I believe is a key, and I feel Gonzaga is capable of doing just that.

Like most WCC teams, they are not tall. Rains and Davis are 6'7 and 6'6". So, like most WCC teams, they will have difficulty guarding our post players. I expect Karno, Wiltjer and Sabonis to be getting the ball a lot.

We are seeing how difficult it is to win on the road. Fans here on this forum have criticized the Zags for poor play on the road, but they need to look at other teams around the country who must be having a more difficult time then the Zags are. And conference games on the road are the most difficult road games. I am glad that Gonzaga has played so many away games and especially games like Arizona and BYU because this is going to be a very tough game Thursday. The experience will help the Zags.

Honestly, I don't think that the Zags' being ranked 3rd in the polls will hurt them. I really don't feel that they are being affected by it. This team is mature, and is led by experienced players like Pangos, Bell, Wesley, Karnowski, Dranginis and Wiltjer. The Zags will be ready. I do, however, believe that the Zags' being ranked third will affect Pepperdine. It will give them a great reason to play their best game of the year. This should be a great game.

Gonzaga 73
Pepperdine 63

kitzbuel
01-13-2015, 10:51 AM
Reborn, the game is on Thursday! Would hate for you to accidentally miss it.

Reborn
01-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Reborn, the game is on Thursday! Would hate for you to accidentally miss it.

thanks

LongIslandZagFan
01-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Trippin' Surfer Dudes Brah 156
Gnarly Zags 40

Hopefully the game will be rad and it doesn't go all Burt Bacharach and we look all eggy you know. Instead I hope we are full on chacka-khaning the whole 40 while those boys are thinkin' about the gidgets.

DixieZag
01-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Zags 74
Not Zags 63

We jump to early 10 pt lead, give it up by half time (much like BYU). Lead at half by 2. Lead by 1-9 the rest of the game, pull it up to 9 with 3 left, win it on FT and clutch shooting.

KW returns to lead scoring with 19
Pangos hits 4 3s, finishes with 17.
Sabonis continues to get his confidence back.
Gary takes few shots but makes a couple big 3s.

GoZags
01-13-2015, 02:18 PM
I "predict" a Gonzaga win.

77Zag
01-13-2015, 02:27 PM
I predict I'm going to have a good time at Gladstone's in Malibu for the social, then a great time at the game -

Zags 81
Pepp 66

Go Zags ...Beat the Waves!

Zagger
01-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Tempering my prediction this time: Zags 85 - Waves 60
Arizona State scored 81 on them (@ Tempe though). Waves are 11-5 and have only scored over 80 twice. Maybe I should have gone with 80-55 :) Still think the Zags will dominate the Waves.

http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/RideTheWavesSmall.PNG

Baseline
01-13-2015, 05:57 PM
Strong Defense slows the game down.
Zags 66
Pepp 58

ZagaZags
01-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Is anyone going to the Pepperdine game?

Zagceo
01-13-2015, 06:43 PM
YES bought my ticket today on Waves website!

VinnyZag
01-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Pepp will probably be in zone the whole time. If the Zags hit jumpers/get offensive rebounds, they should be OK.

I wonder who guards Davis? No Zag seems well equipped. Maybe put Wesley on him, then double on the catch?

Zags11
01-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Zags 91
waves bye bye 65

RenoZag
01-13-2015, 07:30 PM
PEPP - 66
ZAGS - 72

Our pal Hondo summed up the task ahead for Gonzaga with this post in another thread:

Right now Pepp is the most important game on our schedule. Its hard to get ready for any team that you have beaten the last 20 times you have played them no matter what your coaches are telling you. Zags are a better team but sometimes its about other factors like how bad you want the win and how hard you are willing to go after it. Zags face that problem every night out on the road.

I would bet that Pepp wants it so bad they can hardly sleep at night this week. It's not the biggest game of the season for the Zags but they may have to play like it is to beat a pretty good team that now has a new sense of confidence and is super motivated for just this one game

Mantua
01-13-2015, 08:32 PM
+1

ZagaZags
01-13-2015, 08:48 PM
YES bought my ticket today on Waves website!

See you there.

Zagceo
01-14-2015, 12:53 AM
Arvydas, played at Firestone Fieldhouse in November 1982 when the Soviet Union's national team played an exhibition against the Waves. The 17-year-old scored 24 points as the USSR won 116-111.

stevet75
01-14-2015, 07:31 AM
At the end of the break it will be close. The Waves keep hanging on, but the Zags pull away in the second half and win by 17. 74 - 57

jazzdelmar
01-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Arvydas, played at Firestone Fieldhouse in November 1982 when the Soviet Union's national team played an exhibition against the Waves. The 17-year-old scored 24 points as the USSR won 116-111.

great stuff...u may want to send to heister or the gu sid.

gonzagafan62
01-14-2015, 07:57 AM
Gonzaga 61
Pepperdine 60

Too close for comfort. It will be one of those games. I can feel it

zag67
01-14-2015, 08:29 AM
I would like to see a solid win and no injuries. Then to add to that I would like solid minutes by Melson, Dranginis, and Sabonis. Hope to get Eric in there soon.
GU - 83 Pepp - 59

77Zag
01-14-2015, 08:35 AM
See you there.
+1

Kiddwell
01-14-2015, 08:47 AM
Big Splash, a poem
<ahem>
There once was a coach named "Marty,"
Whose team, on BYU, put a smarty.
Give Pepp two short years,
(O, SMC, the tears!),
And Pepperdine joins Big Dance party.

-------
Tsunami Force - 88
Rising Waves - 66

:]

TheGonzagaFactor
01-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Slow start for both teams, but the Zags reduce the Pepperdine offense to tough shots by Stacy and cruise to victory on the strength of easy post scoring and good 3-point shooting.

Zags 85
Waves 57

Pepperdine still has one of the coolest team names in basketball.

rennis
01-14-2015, 12:11 PM
More than likely this will be a tough game, and Pepp is going to try and grind GU down. Pepperdine's scoring average has picked up a few buckets in conference play, so I don't buy it that we're going to hold them to gaudily low scoring #s

Pepperdine's problem will be balance. Their chances of winning this game depend entirely on Davis. I think he'll get his numbers though, since we don't seem to have the ability to shut down that kind of player. I think the rest of their squad can by stymied. If we can keep their guards from scoring easy buckets and defend out to the 3 point line, it should be a W for the Bulldogs. Can't let them score at will from the perimeter the way Santa Clara did on Saturday...

If this turns into a grinder, and somehow the score ends up in the 50s, they have a chance.

I REALLY want Gary Bell to break out in this game, he is soooooooooo due for another big night, it's been way too long and if Gary was playing (offensively) at his abilities the Bulldogs would be all but unbeatable.

Final score:

Bulldogs 76
Waves 67

adoptedzag
01-14-2015, 02:09 PM
More than likely this will be a tough game, and Pepp is going to try and grind GU down. Pepperdine's scoring average has picked up a few buckets in conference play, so I don't buy it that we're going to hold them to gaudily low scoring #s

Pepperdine's problem will be balance. Their chances of winning this game depend entirely on Davis. I think he'll get his numbers though, since we don't seem to have the ability to shut down that kind of player. I think the rest of their squad can by stymied. If we can keep their guards from scoring easy buckets and defend out to the 3 point line, it should be a W for the Bulldogs. Can't let them score at will from the perimeter the way Santa Clara did on Saturday...

If this turns into a grinder, and somehow the score ends up in the 50s, they have a chance.

I REALLY want Gary Bell to break out in this game, he is soooooooooo due for another big night, it's been way too long and if Gary was playing (offensively) at his abilities the Bulldogs would be all but unbeatable.

Final score:

Bulldogs 76
Waves 67

With the strength of this team being at the frontcourt, I think Gary can finally relax a bit and be more agressive on the offensive end.

SwainZag
01-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Karno is going to have a big 1st half as we go to him early and often. They start doubling him in the 2nd half giving Kevin and Kyle open looks behind the arc and the lead builds into double digits and the Zags coast to victory.

Zags 84
Waves 66

23dpg
01-15-2015, 07:10 AM
The line is Zags -12. I expect that Gonzaga won't cover. This could be a real upset possibility.

America's team 67
Katrina's team 64

Reborn
01-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Good Morning ZagNation! It's Game Day, and there's no better day of the week for me then Game Day. I've been waiting for this game all week, and after a couple of easier games the Zags will be back out on the road for another difficult road game. I know our boys are tried and ready. They know all about Pepperdine and how good they are. Two factors will aid the Zags tonight in this game. The Zags have a deeper bench and more talented. And the Zags are more experienced. Their experience pays off on the road. Pepperdine kind of snuck up on everyone this year, but their victory over BYU and San Diego on the road woke everyone up. The Zags will be ready.

Pepperdine will have a problem dealing with Gonzaga's Height. BYU does not have the talent in the posts that GU has. Not even close. Only St Mary's does and St Mary's handled Pepperdine. Expect a tough game but expect the Zags to win. And enjoy the battle. I'm looking forward to seeing Pangos, Bell, Dranginis, Wesley, Wiltjer, Karno, Sabonis and Melson all play again. It's been too long. I'm ready for the battle.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

mgadfly
01-15-2015, 10:56 AM
Pepperdine is built to give a team like BYU trouble. BYU is 54th in the nation in 3 point attempts per possession (in other words, they are living by the three and dying by the three) and 116th in offensive rebounding percentage. While BYU has good height they do not utilize it the same way GU does.

Gonzaga is 236th in 3 point attempts per possession (in other words, would prefer to get a shot at the rim). GU is 26th in offensive rebounding percentage.

Unlike BYU, which is hunting the three point shot and playing into the strength of Pepperdine's defense, GU will not settle for three pointers. They will dump the ball inside over and over again to Wiltjer and Karno where they have a combined 10 inches on the players guarding them. Pepperdine's effective height is 296th in the nation. GU's is 3rd overall.

What does Pepperdine want to avoid? Tall, experienced teams that dump the ball inside and hit the offensive glass. That is exactly what GU is this season. If GU executes the way they are capable and keeps focused their strengths are perfectly lined up to Pepperdine's weaknesses and the game shouldn't be close.

sittingon50
01-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I think it's a bad physical matchup for Pep, but their players will be energized by a crowd they haven't seen in awhile.

bigblahla
01-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Shouldn't be easy but then again the size difference in the paint is huge for Gonzaga.....to much oomph for Pep....too much Shem, Wiltjer and Sabonis....the better TEAM will play that way.... double digit victory as the Zags cover the spread....

Go!! Zags!!!

Zippyzaggy
01-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Another good game preview for Zags vs Pepperdine here- http://www.zagaholic.com/2015/01/pre-game-report-pepperdine.html

Zippyzaggy
01-15-2015, 12:38 PM
I expect a physical game. Pretty good for my 500+ post, eh? I get a banana.

Oh, zags win by 14

gonzagafan62
01-15-2015, 12:47 PM
I expect a physical game. Pretty good for my 500+ post, eh? I get a banana.

Oh, zags win by 14

http://m.memegen.com/jms8kh.jpg

TheZagPhish
01-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Pretty good for my 500+ post, eh? I get a banana.

You're already at 500? Seems like only yesterday you were just a wee Zippyzaggy. Congrats!

Zippyzaggy
01-15-2015, 02:46 PM
U put a cherry on top o that nana & we're soul mates! tanx! ;)

Zippyzaggy
01-15-2015, 02:47 PM
You're already at 500? Seems like only yesterday you were just a wee Zippyzaggy. Congrats!

Thank U! Ya see tho...just goes to prove nobody in here listens to a gorilla....;o(

GOOOOOOOOO ZAGS!

Bogozags
01-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Our defensive intensity will be a key to winning...limiting their 3pt looks and keeping the off the glass and on the other hand, we need to hit our open shots and the glass...depending on how we defend will determine the pace of the game...

Would much rather be "us" then "them"...

GU 74
Waves 57

gonzagafan62
01-15-2015, 10:15 PM
Gonzaga 61
Pepperdine 60

Too close for comfort. It will be one of those games. I can feel it

Well this was pretty much accurate. Just add some points to both scores

GU69
01-15-2015, 10:16 PM
I don't want to play Pepperdine next year.

Reborn
01-15-2015, 10:22 PM
Well this was pretty much accurate. Just add some points to both scores

Good Job gonzagafan62. Good call. I knew it would be close. It's just the way it is. Reno did a good job predicting too. However, it would not have been a close game if GU had mad foul shots. Come on Zags. Show that you deserve your rank. Have they EVER shot that bad from the line, and at the end of the game> I don't remember...Don't know if I've ever seen Kevin miss two in a row and 3 out of 3 at the end of the game. This game will hopefully wake up some player: like Wesley and Bell. Two guys who are not playing well.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

23dpg
01-15-2015, 10:41 PM
The line is Zags -12. I expect that Gonzaga won't cover. This could be a real upset possibility.

America's team 67
Katrina's team 64

The game went as I thought with the huge exception of FTs. That was crazy.

RenoZag
01-15-2015, 10:57 PM
I don't want to play Pepperdine next year.

Don't want to play them this year much either. . .but a return engagement awaits on Valentine's Day in the MAC. . .

Zagdawg
01-15-2015, 11:09 PM
Darn--I'm going to miss it as I am taking the family to the Dominican Republic to spend some time in the sun/on the beach.

I will be in the Mac in spirit.

RenoZag
01-15-2015, 11:15 PM
Darn--I'm going to miss it as I am taking the family to the Dominican Republic to spend some time in the sun/on the beach.

I will be in the Mac in spirit.

Good for you, safe travels