PDA

View Full Version : Seattle U. adding 5 sports

BobZag
09-15-2007, 10:24 AM
They are gearing up for D1.

Baseball (men)
Tennis (men & women)
Golf (men & women)

I predict Seattle University will be admitted into the WCC after a few years as an independent, similar to Northern Colorado into the Big Sky.

There was a small blurb in today's S-R.

LAZAGFAN11
09-15-2007, 10:39 AM
If we admit Seattle U. into the WCC, won't we have to bring in another school? 10 conference teams sounds like a good number, especially if we bring in a school like Pacific to counter-balance the low RPI that Seattle U. will bring.

I've also heard rumblings that Pepperdine would not be happy adding Seattle U to the mix.

roxdoc
09-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I am of the school that says lets go easy on additions. However, though its a bit out of the religious mix, but what about UBC. They are a much larger school than others (read $), have a thirst for the NCAA, and draw from a population that produces some pretty darn good players. I would think they could get competitive faster than SU. SU and UBC would make 10 in the WCC, with now 4 teams in the north.

I am thinking with time, not right away - any thoughts?

MDABE80
09-15-2007, 10:57 AM
I quite agree with BX. SU in a few years is a good fit. Arena needed though........they'll figure it out. I hear the Admin is dedicated to D1 athletics. ANother good one to add might be Pacific if they continue doing well. Good school, good city.......growing rapidly in the Central Valley......just a thought. Go Zags.!

Section 116
09-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Here's a link to a bit more info from today's Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2003885321_seattleu15.html

wazZag
09-15-2007, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't have any problem with SU entering the WCC in a few years. Adding the new programs is a major step. Give those time to develop into something reasonably successful and there's no telling what could happen. They are in an excellent market, although there is the downside of alot of competition in the area. If they develop the programs in spite of that competition, I think they would be a great addition to the WCC.

dim4sum
09-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Seattle U will pick up quite a few under the radar players from the Seattle area that turn out to be good division one players. By that I'm thinking players like Will Conroy, Trey Simmons and maybe a Terrence Williams or two if they recruit fast, before the majors discover them in summer league ball.
Sometimes that chemistry of having kids play together that know eachother can do wonders, such as Romar's two sweet sixteen runs. Seattle U is a bigger threat to Romar's designs than it is to Few's.

jbslicer
09-16-2007, 04:57 AM
Seattle U will never be a threat to Romar's designs.

BobZag
09-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Facilities need drastic improving. That's a bigger issue than adding sports.

BilboZaggins
09-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Volunteer Park?

PS I would LOVE to see SU in the WCC. Get the GU - SU rivalry going. I'd love it.

Nevtelen
09-16-2007, 09:22 AM
If SU could get to the level of, say, consistently 175ish RPI (a long way from where they are now), I'd be all for having them. That would fit in with the conference well.

As for facilities, I wonder if they're still looking into playing their bball games in Key Arena. Any improvements to facilities would cost an arm and a leg, given their location. I hope they're ready for the sticker shock.

mtzaga
09-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Facilities and fan support should be up there as #1 and #2. Market size doesn't mean too much if no one cares about you. Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton tried and failed with Cal-State Northridge. Sacramento State does not add much to the league, and N. Colorado does not look good in the short term.

Nevtelen
09-16-2007, 12:11 PM
An interesting thing I read about N Dakota St is that when they knew they'd be going to D-I, they redshirted just about everyone they could to help with skill development and to also make sure that as many players as possible would be playing with a chance to go to the post-season a few seasons down the road. Seattle U might look at something similar.

You hit it right on the nose, too mtzaga - both of those things are going to be issues for SU early on. If they can solve those problems (which are big), it would go a long way towards making their team better faster.

eastsideballer
09-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I think it would be a great addition to the WCC. Seattle has a great recruiting base and i believe that SU could compete within five years. Its a class act school and kids would be lucky to get a diploma from there.
Look at what happened to Northwest College in north Seattle. When they were NAIA they were the kicking post of the conference but when everyone else went DIII and couldnt give out scholarship money it turned NW College into a powerhouse. The same thing will happen to SU if given the chance. They will be able to compete in recruiting with the UWs and GUs and put a quality product on the floor.
Besides they are a Catholic institution which fits in the WCC conference and it could develop into a great in state rivalry with the Zags.

ZagNut08
09-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Plus with a lot of GU grads in seattle it would be a nice way to catch another game

It would make travel a bit more challenging, likely for Portland, who is currently our travel partner. It would seem we need an even number of teams to make it work smoothly. If two are added I wouldn't mind Seattle U and Pacific

roxdoc
09-18-2007, 07:56 PM
I still say SU and UBC!

Angelo Roncalli
09-18-2007, 09:02 PM
I still say SU and UBC!

I'm pretty sure UBC wants to play football...

nonzagzag
09-19-2007, 12:57 AM
UBC currently plays football, rugby, men's volleyball, swimming, and, of course, hockey - I don't think most WCC schools have these sports - so I don't know how they would fit into any one conference but maybe they could join for certain sports only?

roxdoc
09-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Ah - I see the problem. I wonder where they might go?