PDA

View Full Version : POLLS 01-12-15 USA ZAGS #3 AP#3

flytiezag
01-12-2015, 09:11 AM
MOVING UP #3 BOTH POLLS http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/polls

gonzagafan62
01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Unbelievable. What an honor it is to be #3. I cannot believe it.

gozagswoohoo
01-12-2015, 09:26 AM
OH SNAP!!!! Wow.

#3 is definitely more better than #6!!

kitzbuel
01-12-2015, 09:28 AM
OH SNAP!!!! Wow.

#3 is definitely more better than #6!!

Especially when you are #3 in all the land.

Ekrub
01-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Target on back just grew a little bit bigger

Zagger
01-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Suh-Wheat! http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png
And I estimated #4. Gonna have to drink more Koolaid!

TheZagPhish
01-12-2015, 09:33 AM
So cool. Humbling. What a terrific year!

former1dog
01-12-2015, 09:39 AM
It's very exciting to be consensus ranked at #3!!!

No one should rest on the upcoming Pepperdine game, though. They are a much better team that their RPI ranking and will loaded for bear on Thursday night. Pepperdine is playing really well right now.

jim77
01-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Not too shabby.....keep sawing wood . Pepperdine will come out swinging.

TheZagPhish
01-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Pepperdine will come out swinging.

No doubt. Pepp is terrific this year.

abarefootboy
01-12-2015, 10:03 AM
yup .. our ranking will fuel the fire for all the rest of the WCC teams who we'll meet in the days to come .. which is good .. bring it on ... we may play in a soft conference .. but .. we bring out the beast in our opponents.
This also helps tattoo Gonzaga on the mind streams of potential recruits here and abroad.

kitzbuel
01-12-2015, 10:24 AM
No doubt. Pepp is terrific this year.

They are gonna have a little Pepp in their step.

See what I did there!

FuManShoes
01-12-2015, 10:29 AM
I'll admit No. 3 sounds far-fetched, but KenPom concurs. But the hate on the interwebz is strong ...

http://i.imgur.com/qOrt89o.png

thespywhozaggedme
01-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Check this out from the comments section in ESPN:

Jacob Milam Top Commenter WVU

Gonzaga #3 what a joke. Hell they've got a team on their schedule that doesn't even have a mascot.

23 59 minutes ago

Devan Williams Top Commenter Washington State University

Have you seen them play this season? They have talent, depth, had transfer who are experience with Byron Wesley from USC, and Kyle Wiltijer from kentucky. This isnt 2 years ago when Kelly Olynik lead them to a #1 seed, they look great! Yeah their schedule isnt the most difficult but atleast they have a strong non conference schedule! Dont be a box score analyst, actually know what you are talking about.

25 47 minutes ago

Gregory Anton Rufener Top Commenter Creighton University School of Medicine

If you really believe this you haven't watched them and know nothing about Gonzaga. They have no bad losses (1 loss to Arizona on the road in OT), have been blowing teams out, and are legitimately 9-10 players deep with little to no drop-off. Check out Kenpom.

7 42 minutes ago

zagamatic
01-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Are we the best 1 loss team out there? I don't know. But I also don't know that we're not. What I do know is that we're most likely to be the one that stays at one loss til March. Which probably explains the jump. Plus the fact that Duke was down BIG in their loss.

dadair
01-12-2015, 10:39 AM
I hope you're right; the Zags could use a good mid-season challenge, IMO.

It's very exciting to be consensus ranked at #3!!!

No one should rest on the upcoming Pepperdine game, though. They are a much better team that their RPI ranking and will loaded for bear on Thursday night. Pepperdine is playing really well right now.

NumberCruncher
01-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Zags are also #3 in the BPI rankings.

gonzagafan62
01-12-2015, 10:47 AM
I'll admit No. 3 sounds far-fetched, but KenPom concurs. But the hate on the interwebz is strong ...

They hate us, cuz they ain't us.

Means we are relevant to fans of that nature. They can hate us, and/or our ranking, but it won't change that we are currently ranked #3.

FuManShoes
01-12-2015, 10:53 AM
They hate us, cuz they ain't us.

:clap:

TheZagPhish
...the hate on the interwebz is strong ...

http://cl.ly/ZGhQ/rodney-dangerfield.jpg

sittingon50
That a West Virginia fan (WVU) throwing us under the bus? I have some game tape from the past few years I can loan him. Actually, he may still be cowering in his Mom's basement so maybe I should cut him some slack.

NumberCruncher
01-12-2015, 10:59 AM
That a West Virginia fan (WVU) throwing us under the bus? I have some game tape from the past few years I can loan him. Actually, he may still be cowering in his Mom's basement so maybe I should cut him some slack.
He's probably just jealous of our airport.

zagapotomus
01-12-2015, 11:03 AM
ESPN comments are almost as bad as youtube comments, minus the bigotry

Zagger
01-12-2015, 11:08 AM
I wonder when the Zags will first get some #1 votes ..... Will it take a Kentucky loss? Will it take a serious WHACK of Memphis? Will it take another week of away game wins (such as a WHACK of Pepperdine AND LMU)? Since the Zags are #3, #1 ain't far away (at least arithmetically). :)

gonzagafan62
01-12-2015, 11:12 AM

NCAA Tournament. At the Kennel. At West Virginia. Nothing changed except Gonzaga kicking their weak squad. hehehehehehe.

Go zags.

seasontixholder
01-12-2015, 11:13 AM
I wuv the march to the top, not for reasons of pride. No, only for experiencing the tortured angst exhibited by the media, the analysts, and other clueless detractors. The longer that the team can prolong it the better. The other insightful accolades are mere gravy.

BTB
01-12-2015, 11:15 AM
I wonder when the Zags will first get some #1 votes ..... Will it take a Kentucky loss? Will it take a serious WHACK of Memphis? Will it take another week of away game wins (such as a WHACK of Pepperdine AND LMU)? Since the Zags are #3, #1 ain't far away (at least arithmetically). :)

It will take a loss for Kentucky. I'm guessing Kentucky will have to lose more than once to be dethroned from number one.

DixieZag
01-12-2015, 11:17 AM
He's probably just jealous of our airport.

Maybe if you lived in West Virginia, you'd be jealous of our airport, too.

Ranking

You know, we may not be the third best team in the country overall, but a) the polls have always been weird this way about lots of teams, b) backed up by Ken-Pom, and C) I'm not sure Virginia is heads/tails above us, either. d) We're number 2 in the Non-Kentucky Division!

HenneZag
01-12-2015, 11:21 AM
I am excited for Zag Nation and the team for this accomplishment so far. With that said we are 1/3 the way through the WCC and still have a long road ahead with many challenges such as BYU/SMC x2/PEPP etc. With the #3 ranking comes the trash talkers as we have already seen, as well as every team licking their chops wanting to upset us even more, as we already get every teams best shot night in and night out. In order for us to stay atop the rankings we need to just about win out,we don't have the luxury as the other top 10 teams to lose a game or 2 and still crawl back into the top 5 unless teams start crumbling. I know Pangos/Bell/Wiltjer/Wesley etc will have this team ready to go and hopefully ignite an even more fire to validate this prestige ranking and shut the mouth of the nay sayers.

Gonzaga Basketball has made it's mark, pretty amazing that we were #1 a couple years back and now #3 this year. Now it's time to make a statement and put a stamp on this season. Les Goooo Fellas!!

Zagdawg
01-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Looking at the games this week-- Duke is at Louisville on Saturday-- if they win that one--they may jump us again.

seasontixholder
01-12-2015, 11:25 AM
It's barely over two months until Selection Sunday. You know, baseball, arena football, and painful yardwork right around the corner.

Enjoy the fun while it lasts.

HenneZag
01-12-2015, 11:39 AM
If we can stay in the top 6 or so by end of the season I will be happy. Teams like Duke will have the opportunity several more times for marquee wins, and since the WCC doesn't get the respect it deserves we have minimal opportunities for so called "marquee" wins left on the schedule. I wish the WCC did like a Pac-12 vs WCC or MWC vs WCC type challenge just to have more opportunities to expose our league. I would put up GU/BYU/SMC/PEPP vs many of those other conferences and think we could do some damage.

Zagdawg
01-12-2015, 11:53 AM
A quick glance of how the WCC did against the Pac 12= 4-9 (Zags get 2 wins and the rest of the league gets 2 wins).

This may be a bit of a stretch--but the WCC is not as strong as the big leagues out there-- Henne-- if you are looking for some exposure by pitting the WCC against the Pac12-- reach out to romar and ask him how the old exposure thing worked out.

The Zags are going to benefit from some of the other teams in the rankings dropping some tough games against some tough opponents.

HenneZag
01-12-2015, 12:00 PM
A quick glance of how the WCC did against the Pac 12= 4-9 (Zags get 2 wins and the rest of the league gets 2 wins).

This may be a bit of a stretch--but the WCC is not as strong as the big leagues out there-- Henne-- if you are looking for some exposure by pitting the WCC against the Pac12-- reach out to romar and ask him how the old exposure thing worked out.

The Zags are going to benefit from some of the other teams in the rankings dropping some tough games against some tough opponents.

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize we did that poorly vs Pac-12. I would say more comparable would be MWC. Yes we will definitely benefit from other teams losses, I just hate the chatter because of the lack of respect we get from playing in the WCC etc. We will have our opportunity in March to put it to bed.

Kiddwell
01-12-2015, 12:01 PM
We do have more wins than anybody out there right now (sixteen); however, this fan thinks #3 is a bit early. Methinks this's more like it right now (and fairer).

(1) Kentucky
(2) Virginia
(3) Duke
(4) Zags
(4) Louisville (tie)

Later, Virginia, Louisville, Duke will all have two-to-four losses (IMO). At that point, if we hold serve, then #2 or #3 seems a bit more legit. There'd be a bit less whining on the Internet about our ranking too. The flip side is that we're now in a lot of recruits' eyes (as noted in a previous post), so we cannot afford to stumble. Straight on through the WCC Tourney Championship Game. By then, the way Kentucky's stumbling around, we could very well be #1 again. Then it'd be pretty hard to keep a 30-1 team (Zags) out of a #1 Seed.

:]

RenoZag
01-12-2015, 12:01 PM

Zagger, at the link below you can see the vote distribution; one voter had the Zags as # 2

www.collegepolltracker.com/ (http://www.collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/gu2/2014)

Bogozags
01-12-2015, 12:14 PM

My understanding from all those that voted in both polls, we will start receiving First Place votes under two circumstances: (1) UK loses two-three games and (2) We have that one loss against AZ removed. Personally, I think #2 is more likely than #1...

MDABE80
01-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Have we improved this much or are the other teams immediately ahead and behind us just losing to other good teams? I can't tell. BUT when we build our data for KenPom or whomever, remember our numbers have seriously climbed because we're playing in the WCC with lesser teams. All of you us know that. We build data against OOC teams too. What I've never figured out is if our early games with good teams would have the same outcomes as the season goes forward.

Nonetheless though, we've got the goods so far and i'm happy for that. As the Hondomeisters said, we do have obstacles in our path. Hard teams minimized by the posters on sites who downgrade the Zags. As I've said before, I do think we can run the table . In the end though, do we think we're better than Wisconsin, UK or Louisville or other teams? It kind of humbles you ......does me anyway. These no 1 seeds and high rankings are good for the team, the fans and the University. Love it while we can. I do think this is the team from 2 years ago when Kelly ran wild. I think we're more balanced and a much better team with Wiltjer and my peronal fav Wesley.

We 'll see where all this goes. Naysayers willl grow without success. Other teams have big stars who can do amazing athletic things but they're not exactly "team". WE have a team of kids...no superstars but we have a team. This team is a very capable. And to those who denigrate this fine team...I say "screw em". Until somebody better shows up and beats us, we're fine. WE BE FINE:)

Zagger
01-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Zagger, at the link below you can see the vote distribution; one voter had the Zags as # 2
www.collegepolltracker.com/ (http://www.collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/gu2/2014)

My understanding from all those that voted in both polls, we will start receiving First Place votes under two circumstances: (1) UK loses two-three games and (2) We have that one loss against AZ removed. Personally, I think #2 is more likely than #1...

Yeah, but .... it's college basketball. Lot's can AND WILL happen. More and more the Zags just gotta take one game at a time. As others have mentioned .... I too hope the #3 ranking has the effect of motivating the team to play even smarter ball (equating smarts with continued team play and lots of effort on D). Pepperdine's next and it's an away game. I think Few has things dialed in pretty well - or the Zags wouldn't be #3. And, by dialed in, I think the balancing of who's on the floor when has worked out pretty well. With Josh, Eric and Silas potentially in the mix come February it'll keep Few pretty busy. This bunch, like many a past Zag bunch, are closely knit group though - lots of unselfish play and rooting for one another. They must be having a lot of fun too or they wouldn't be #3. Go Zags

Zagricultural
01-12-2015, 12:52 PM

Were any of those home games for the wcc? It makes a huge difference where they are played. My 2 cents.

DixieZag
01-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Were any of those home games for the wcc? It makes a huge difference where they are played. My 2 cents.

Even our games in terms of home/away were 0-2-1 with WSU a semi-neutral site.

Great point on your part.

007Zag
01-12-2015, 01:51 PM

I think it's telling (and reflects reality) that the Zags' Pyth score is closer to #8 Louisville than #2 Virginia. UK and UVa are at the top with a sizable buffer separating them and the next six, tightly-grouped teams.

zag67
01-12-2015, 02:09 PM
1. I think that #3 is great.
2. I think that #3 is probably too high. Duke and Louisville both are also super teams.
3. This is going to be fun to watch and the team needs to play one game at a time
4. Remember we have McClellan and Perkins that will probably be there soon.
5. Wins by the top teams, may cause them to move over us, but staying in the top 5 or 6 is all we need. In other words, just keep winning and keep getting better.

ZagHouse
01-12-2015, 02:11 PM
I think it's telling (and reflects reality) that the Zags' Pyth score is closer to #8 Louisville than #2 Virginia. UK and UVa are at the top with a sizable buffer separating them and the next six, tightly-grouped teams.

I hate the negativity. I think #3 is a bit high, but the naysayers act like us fans have a hand in the voting. Last time I checked, it's a coaches poll and a writer's poll, not some insta-web poll on ESPN.

Zippyzaggy
01-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Nine consecutive Ws as of now. No way Zags are not ranked #1 if they win out. But, that's a looong way off.

Thrilled at the 3# so soon tho!

Zippyzaggy
01-12-2015, 02:34 PM
In depth article re- the Zags and poll rankings here: http://www.zagaholic.com/2015/01/non-conference-sleepers-threaten-zags.html

ZAG DA KINE
01-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Just a case of "the cream always rises to the top".
Just keep winning. Everything else will fall into place:)

Zagdawg
01-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Any recruits watching the polls have to like the Zags being ranked near the top-- "I'm being recruited by the #3 team in the country" has a nice ring to it.

Go Zags!

NumberCruncher
01-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Here's a comparison to the last 2 teams at this point in the season. This team is really good.

http://i.imgur.com/Z0LWgUE.jpg

basketballzag
01-12-2015, 04:25 PM
I predict a #1 will be in the Zags future if they win out.

Mantua
01-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Everyone should keep in mind that despite the absurdity of the polls, it's great to be ranked high for recruiting.

Zagger
01-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Everyone should keep in mind that despite the absurdity of the polls, it's great to be ranked high for recruiting.
Likely the 'cat's meow'. Great point :)

ZagLawGrad
01-12-2015, 08:18 PM
I predict a #1 will be in the Zags future if they win out.

Don't jinx us.

caduceus
01-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Here's a comparison to the last 2 teams at this point in the season. This team is really good.

http://i.imgur.com/Z0LWgUE.jpg

Proof is in the pudding. Well done and thanks.

007Zag
01-13-2015, 06:27 AM
I hate the negativity. I think #3 is a bit high, but the naysayers act like us fans have a hand in the voting. Last time I checked, it's a coaches poll and a writer's poll, not some insta-web poll on ESPN.

I didn't mean that to be negative. Just trying to point out to anyone who thinks that #3 is "too high" that rankings are ordinal; they don't mean that the difference between #1 and #2 is the same as the difference between #3 and #4, and so on. The Pyth score shows that we are ranked where we should be in the USA Today and AP polls, but that the distribution of teams' quality is a little more clumped than a #1-#10 system suggests.

Oh and I love that table from NumberCruncher. This team is damn efficient on both sides.

zagfan24
01-13-2015, 07:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/powerrankings

#3 in ESPN Power Rankings as well.

TheZagPhish
01-13-2015, 08:26 AM
Somehow it feels that the Zags just broke through the national din for the first time all season.

http://cl.ly/ZHw7/01-13-2015-espn-front-drive-to-1.jpg

Zagdawg
01-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Kyle needs to work on his "mean face" for these front pages. ;)

229SintoZag
01-13-2015, 03:15 PM

This is huge.

I propose we print up some T-Shirts, perhaps even hang a banner.

What happens in March is kind of an afterthought now. This season's already a success.

GoZags
01-13-2015, 03:58 PM

It is a proven impossibility for Opie Taylor to look mean.

thespywhozaggedme
01-14-2015, 06:03 AM
Looked past Miami, did ya? :doh:
Looking at the games this week-- Duke is at Louisville on Saturday-- if they win that one--they may jump us again.

Zagdawg
01-14-2015, 07:27 AM
Lol-- Yes Sir I did......and someone else may have also. ;)

zag67
01-14-2015, 07:35 AM
I hope that Virginia and one other team like Louisville wins out. That means teams like Duke, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and North Carolina are getting more losses. This then would solidify are number 1 seed. But that is me

bballbeachbum
01-14-2015, 01:54 PM
nothing wrong with being up in the rankings to me. it assures nothing in the tournament, seedings and matchups and locations could or could not mean something, or not.

look, if I'm some coach in another conference and we end up drawing the Zags with the big high seed and ranking and record with no more losses in WCC play, I'd bet I could get belief from my players if I sold them the idea that we played a tougher conference schedule and thus are more ready to go in March, and the the Zags have fallen before early, etc.

so to me the Zags need to overcome that got nothing to lose/everything to gain mindset/inspiration the high ranking could supply to a tourney opponent in the one and done scenario. also think it's hard to prove it to themselves even, to prove that high ranking even though I believe it's justified, but it's hard to prove it in the conference because of the conference, even though St. Mary's, BYU, and others are good teams and tough places to play (McKeon).

maybe I'm making no sense, but there are some challenges in the Zag equation I think unique to the Zags because of their unique road to excellence and their continued stay there