PDA

View Full Version : Updated CBS Sports Bracketology

Zags_Fanatic
01-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Jerry Palm who is traditionally bullish on the Zags has bumped them up to #1 Seed in the West. Bring it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

TheZagPhish
01-12-2015, 08:48 AM
This week's CBSSports.com Top 25 (And One) (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/top25) has the Zags at #3.

gonzagafan62
01-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Woah! We got a legit shot.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-12-2015, 09:04 AM
I only gave it a once-over, but it looks like we are the only WCC team. As of right now, I'd say that's fair.

jazzdelmar
01-12-2015, 09:05 AM
L-ville a 4?

gonzagafan62
01-12-2015, 09:20 AM
L-ville a 4?

here we go again.....

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
01-12-2015, 09:50 AM
L-ville a 4?

That is the first thing that JUMPED out at me. Not a great match-up in the #1 vs #4 game. Goes to show match-ups are the most important thing.

gonzagafan62
01-12-2015, 10:23 AM
I only gave it a once-over, but it looks like we are the only WCC team. As of right now, I'd say that's fair.

Yup. However, if Gonzaga runs the table in the WCC, and either SMC or BYU runs the table besides the games against Gonzaga, they might have a legit shot too. Who knows. I doubt it happens though. One of them will probably have to knock of the Zags.

RenoZag
01-12-2015, 10:30 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12154140/latest-update-joe-lunardi-bracket-math-college-basketball?addata=2009_insdr_mod_ncb_xxx_xxx

Lunardi shows Zags as his highest Two seed on his " S- Curve"

He has Louisville as a 3 seed, FWIW

ESPN's "Basketball Power Index" has the Zags third in the country

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi

coolhandzag
01-12-2015, 10:38 AM
The publicity is great. Please keep in mind it's not even February yet. A lot can happen. Zags maintain momentum in a relatively weak(er) conference and continue to climb polls. Kentucky is probably going to stumble, imo. That leaves a possible #1 ranking open for the Zags in the future, if the keep winning, maybe. It doesn't mean they are the best team in the country, or even the third, and it doesn't predict future success in the bracket, but it is great press.

hondo
01-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Zags do have a shot but their are several stumbling block on the road and the next one is a very able Pepperdine team. Hopefully those block can be turned into stepping stone, one at a time.

BTB
01-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Yup. However, if Gonzaga runs the table in the WCC, and either SMC or BYU runs the table besides the games against Gonzaga, they might have a legit shot too. Who knows. I doubt it happens though. One of them will probably have to knock of the Zags.

BYU already lost to Pepperdine. I don't think it's likely SMC finishes with two losses to the Zags as its only two conference losses, but it's possible.

DixieZag
01-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Zags do have a shot but their are several stumbling block on the road and the next one is a very able Pepperdine team. Hopefully those block can be turned into stepping stone, one at a time.

Do you think Pepp is a more challenging game that SMC? It's a question, not a challenge.

Bracket - Even 8 SDSU and 9 Butler would leave a not too fun game.

Other 4 Seeds, VCU, Wichita (the committee loves being cute) and Seton Hall; Any of those teams seems preferable to Louisville.

I do like the Arizona 2 seed. I really feel our guys would be confident and hungry against them. I really want that game for the FF.

basketballzag
01-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Gonzaga has hit the big time if we manage to get another #1 seed this season. Very few can tout that statistic.

hondo
01-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Right now Pepp is the most important game on our schedule. Its hard to get ready for any team that you have beaten the last 20 times you have played them no matter what your coaches are telling you. Zags are a better team but sometimes its about other factors like how bad you want the win and how hard you are willing to go after it. Zags face that problem every night out on the road. I would bet that Pepp wants it so bad they can hardly sleep at night this week. Its not the biggest game of the season for the Zags but they may have to play like it was to beat a pretty good team that now has a new sense of confidence and is super motivated for just this one game.

CDC84
01-12-2015, 05:27 PM
To me, the biggest concern about Pepperdine isn't that they beat BYU at BYU. It's that they held that team to 61 points. BYU has the ninth most efficient offense in the nation. The Zags better play two halves of basketball, which is something they haven't been doing of late. This game is probably going to be another grinder and won't be to the Zags liking.

01-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Right now Pepp is the most important game on our schedule. Its hard to get ready for any team that you have beaten the last 20 times you have played them no matter what your coaches are telling you. Zags are a better team but sometimes its about other factors like how bad you want the win and how hard you are willing to go after it. Zags face that problem every night out on the road. I would bet that Pepp wants it so bad they can hardly sleep at night this week. Its not the biggest game of the season for the Zags but they may have to play like it was to beat a pretty good team that now has a new sense of confidence and is super motivated for just this one game.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

100% agree with this....we need to be ready.

DixieZag
01-12-2015, 07:03 PM
I was excited before. The more I hear about it from others and that we've crawled up to 3, the more anxious I am about this game.

Thing is "we" would know it was a good win, the country would look at it as a disastrous loss.

SteelZag
01-14-2015, 11:53 AM

Gonzaga #1 in West with Witchita State #4 and Arizona #2.

Doesn't get much better than that!

jazzdelmar
01-14-2015, 12:17 PM

S16 v Shockers, great TV. Fairly ez 32 team too. And Zona and the Pillsbury Dough Coach for the F��4. Somewhere Les Moonves is smiling.

Bogozags
01-14-2015, 12:21 PM
No doubt the "real bracket" won't be out for weeks BUT it some how, this WAS the "real bracket," then I like it because all the teams I don't want to play until the E8 or FF are in the other brackets (UK, D, UVA, UL, & W). I still believe D, KU, UVA and W will be the teams on the first line and just hope we are two seeds between #5 & #7. Do not want anything to do with UK...

01-14-2015, 12:42 PM

The match-ups in this bracket for the Zags are the type in which dreams are made with hard work. I don't know who the Chairman of the Selection Committee is yet (I am sure you guys do) but this is worth lobbying for via email!!!!!!!! Just kidding of course! I want it so bad though this year.

rawkmandale
01-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Keep an eye on Utah. They are a strong team, and if they win the PAC12 and take out Arizona at least at home, and then again in the PAC12 Tournament, they could be a threat for the Number 1 in the West.

MDABE80
01-14-2015, 09:28 PM
It's alway proper to remember that those teams who get to the FF and win the whole thing usually have weathered 4-7 losses. You learn from losses.make you iron out mistakes and toughens attitudes. We lose some games and we suffer in rankings and in RPI/BPI......but so what? I'd rather be ready to do well in the tournament than have a 1 oe 2 seed. As it sits now, we've got the record and the seeding and a nice ranking. We need some tough games.....maybe the ones we lose. I dunno but these spotless records spook me. We need to be tougher in my opinion. It would be nice to have a no 1 or 2 seed, a glitzy record and a veru high ranking and see the FF but it rarely happens like that.

ZagaZags
01-14-2015, 09:53 PM
It's alway proper to remember that those teams who get to the FF and win the whole thing usually have weathered 4-7 losses. You learn from losses.make you iron out mistakes and toughens attitudes. We lose some games and we suffer in rankings and in RPI/BPI......but so what? I'd rather be ready to do well in the tournament than have a 1 oe 2 seed. As it sits now, we've got the record and the seeding and a nice ranking. We need some tough games.....maybe the ones we lose. I dunno but these spotless records spook me. We need to be tougher in my opinion. It would be nice to have a no 1 or 2 seed, a glitzy record and a veru high ranking and see the FF but it rarely happens like that.

If we have 4-7 losses GU would finish in 3rd or 4th place in the WCC.

MDABE80
01-15-2015, 01:28 AM
But get in the tounament.........just like UConn, Duke, Louisville........and they get in because they have a challenging league. We don't. I think this easy non OOC schedule is a loser for us in more ways than one. We generally are not challenged and we rarely get beat . If you don't get beat once in a while, there's little basis to change so you DO improve your team and its game. I hope we have a very deep run...... but unless we have much improvement in our bigs and tons of good luck, I doubt we get to the E 8 or FF. This is the best team we've had in years but it's a S 16 team without a surge.

ZagaZags
01-15-2015, 03:27 AM
But get in the tounament.........just like UConn, Duke, Louisville........and they get in because they have a challenging league. We don't. I think this easy non OOC schedule is a loser for us in more ways than one. We generally are not challenged and we rarely get beat . If you don't get beat once in a while, there's little basis to change so you DO improve your team and its game. I hope we have a very deep run...... but unless we have much improvement in our bigs and tons of good luck, I doubt we get to the E 8 or FF. This is the best team we've had in years but it's a S 16 team without a surge.

Yeah we suck, I guess that is why our RPI, KenPom, BPI, AP Rankings & Coaches Rankings are so high. The funny thing is, we would still be b I t c h ing if GU had 4-7 losses at this point, instead we are b I t c h I n g we are #3 in the Nation with a 16-1 record. Good job Doc. If GU does anything less than Elite 8 this year, they underachieved.

http://kevinmartineau.ca/wp-content/uploads/Whats-up-Doc.jpg

Rangerzag
01-15-2015, 04:08 AM
Doomed!

VaBeachZAG
01-15-2015, 05:35 AM

It's true that a loss can serve as a teaching tool for improving. However, I subscribe to the philosophy that with a good/excellent coaching staff a team can learn and improve while still winning. If the inference is that a team is not likely to improve without more loses well, sorry, but I totally reject that point of view. How does dropping 3-4 WCC games and ending up a 5-7 seed in the East Regional improve our chances for a deep run in March? The onus for continued Zags' improvement rests with the coaching staff and the senior leadership on the team, it does not rest on seeking motivation for improvement through more losses.

gonzagafan62
01-15-2015, 05:55 AM
It's true that a loss can serve as a teaching tool for improving. However, I subscribe to the philosophy that with a good/excellent coaching staff a team can learn and improve while still winning. If the inference is that a team is not likely to improve without more loses well, sorry, but I totally reject that point of view. How does dropping 3-4 WCC games and ending up a 5-7 seed in the East Regional improve our chances for a deep run in March? The onus for continued Zags' improvement rests with the coaching staff and the senior leadership on the team, it does not rest on seeking motivation for improvement through more losses.

Exactly. While other teams are beating each other up, we get to relax awhile, and skate through (well not really, but for the basis of the argument, I am sure you know what I mean) ..... Mark Few always has this team prepared.

I ain't scurred.

gonzagafan62
01-15-2015, 06:06 AM

Oh, and I do wanna put out something out there. Is it our fault that SMU, UCLA, Georgia, St. John's are all down this year? They started the year highly though of, and this was going to be a challenging schedule. So is it really now, looking back on it, THAT BAD? REALLY?

#23 SMU
#40 Georgia
#43 St. John's (who lost their leading scorer to a leave of absence. They were ranked RANKED I say in the major polls before this happened.)
#75 UCLA

Lets take one thing for note too, shall we?

Duke just lost To Miami (FL) RPI #56

Guess where BYU is? #55 BYU

And Miami lost to Eastern Kentucky by over 25. Please. Give me a break.

Then you have Wisconsin, who just lost to Rutgers. RPI #69. Minus their two starters they get a break because they played without their stars, yet if it was Gonzaga losing to a "sucky Rutgers team" (example: Last year, when we lost Bell and Dower for awhile) ..... We would not be given a pass and that would overall hurt everything we have accomplished to that point.

Other Notables:

Texas Southern RPI #104: They could seriously make a run at a Top 100 team.
Memphis RPI #111: Read above.
St. Mary's RPI #79

I know facts aren't welcome here, but I did wanna make sure you knew the sky was not falling.

Go Zags.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-15-2015, 07:23 AM

I think everyone is missing Doc's point. He's not saying we should lose WCC games to improve. If you lose 4+ WCC games it means you aren't a good team. It seems he is saying that if we were in a tough conference (with other teams competing for high tourney seeds) and lost a few games it would be better than our current situation of losing 1-2 games overall while in a weak conference.

It's better to be tested and occasionally lose to good teams than to play a bunch of undermanned teams with no aspirations aside from beating you.

MDABE80
01-15-2015, 12:31 PM
62 and others are missing the point. We've earned this oft seed, ranking and so.........but much is based (at this time on our performaces in the first half of the season against challenging teams........It's what happens in the second half of the season where we coast through the league. The league is perpetually thought of weak.....by most standards. When you aren't challeneged much, skills wither and kinda go to sleep. That's what we see in the 2nd hlaf. Bigger,stronger teams are challeneged and get better even though they lose.........EVEN THOUGHT THEY LOSE. We don't every night........not in the second half anyway. Thus our performance in the NCAA tournament has not been great. Those S16's are well back in the rear view mirror.........
We need better. I doubt we'll get a deeper run based on the teams in the WCC........... One can argue with the data or the record achieved. BUT you must remember all of our data tallied by the KenPoms , while they look spectacular.........are based on data generated with the league schools as the season progresses. I'm far from a naysayer. It's reality we need. Lots of "pollys" begin posting extravant message when we when are seeded highly, get major rankings and so on.

gonzagafan62
01-15-2015, 12:51 PM
62 and others are missing the point. We've earned this oft seed, ranking and so.........but much is based (at this time on our performaces in the first half of the season against challenging teams........It's what happens in the second half of the season where we coast through the league. The league is perpetually thought of weak.....by most standards. When you aren't challeneged much, skills wither and kinda go to sleep. That's what we see in the 2nd hlaf. Bigger,stronger teams are challeneged and get better even though they lose.........EVEN THOUGHT THEY LOSE. We don't every night........not in the second half anyway. Thus our performance in the NCAA tournament has not been great. Those S16's are well back in the rear view mirror.........
We need better. I doubt we'll get a deeper run based on the teams in the WCC........... One can argue with the data or the record achieved. BUT you must remember all of our data tallied by the KenPoms , while they look spectacular.........are based on data generated with the league schools as the season progresses. I'm far from a naysayer. It's reality we need. Lots of "pollys" begin posting extravant message when we when are seeded highly, get major rankings and so on.

So how do you compare this team to the George Mason, Butler, VCU and Wichita State teams who have played in weaker conferences than Gonzaga but went to the Final Four. How bout the countless teams that have gone to the Elite Eight, or Sweet Sixteen that have been in far worse conferences than Gonzaga? Its all about matchups, and (god forbid injuries, or academic issues) but mostly matchups. Sometimes teams don't do well against others in the tournament. Most, and I say MOST of the time the better team ends up winning. Gonzaga has rarely been the better team. But it has nothing to do with the conference, when/how we have been challenged/not challenged.

Just my 2 cents (I got what you were saying earlier, but I was trying to draw comparisons to these "tougher conferences" and how their teams are doing compared to a couple from our conference... )

Again, just an opinion. I really don't hold the whole conference thing with much weight, at all. Because if it meant something, none of the lower schools have a chance to get to the Sweet Sixteen or further. Most of the time yes, the Bigger schools do go on to win the national championship and go far in the tournament, but its not because they play in a tougher conference. Its because they have a better team, and better players.

Memphis is a prime example of that back in 2008 being in po dunk Conference USA

siliconzag
01-15-2015, 02:01 PM
What my Mentor (MD Abe) is saying in all likelyhood is that the WCC does not offer the kind of competition which allows the same development that other conferences do. In addition to this, the Zags have never in all the years I've watched them been able to play lock down defense when they need it. It is a sine qua non for advancing in March. I am holding back predictions. I thought the Zags would be undefeated by this point in the season (I predicted they would beat Arizona). They've played well, but I have yet to see the kind of defense on display that will be needed for a deep March run. I know the basketball experts on this forum are less worried about defense than I, but I maintain the Al Brightman theory of, "the best defense is a good offense" leads to March exits. Anyway, don't like the idea of facing a Greg Marshall team and that Baker kid again. Hope they go to a different region, if they play well, they should end up in Omaha. This would be kind of funny, because there is still a lot of hatred among the Creighton fans for WSU and they are pretty frustrated this year. Anyway, I think Abe has a point. Sometimes painful losses lead to improvements. Especially on defense.

caduceus
01-15-2015, 02:18 PM
42% of Final Four teams are 1-seeds. Only 21% are 2-seeds.

47% of teams that make it to the Championship Game are 1-seeds. Only 19% are 2-seeds.

60% of national champions are a 1-seed. Only 15% of national champions are 2-seeds.

(numbers are through 2013, but you get the picture)

hondo
01-15-2015, 02:34 PM
I think Sili and Abe are right on here. And its great to hear from Sili again.

VaBeachZAG
01-15-2015, 02:50 PM
I think everyone is missing Doc's point. He's not saying we should lose WCC games to improve. If you lose 4+ WCC games it means you aren't a good team. It seems he is saying that if we were in a tough conference (with other teams competing for high tourney seeds) and lost a few games it would be better than our current situation of losing 1-2 games overall while in a weak conference.

It's better to be tested and occasionally lose to good teams than to play a bunch of undermanned teams with no aspirations aside from beating you.

Well if that's Doc's point it is pointless. Sure, we all agree that it's good to be challenged once in a while and who is to say we won't be challenged on multiple occasions before the end of the season (maybe starting tonight). People just need to get off of the weak conference (WCC) inhibits the Zags growth as a competitive team complaint. We have been around and around on the dilemma of being "trapped" in the WCC. There is just no better place to go, or I am sure the move would have been made a long time ago. The fact that we fail to have consistently high level OOC competition isn't for lack of trying. In recent years high profile programs are scheduled but turn out to have down years when we play them (e.g., UCLA, Memphis, etc). I am not going to wring my hands and worry that our teams development is restricted by not being in a so called power conference. It is what it is, and it's just a matter of time before we join Butler, and VCU with a final four banner in the rafters of our arena.

MDABE80
01-15-2015, 04:16 PM
I just hope we win the whole thing but I took it very very hard for months when we whiffed 2 years ago. Those other teams mentioned above had lotsa luck. Wichita didn't they were just over looked. SIli said it better than I have. We don't develop in a weak league even though we win. If this team has lots more horsepower than I think, we'll count the league as keeping us sharp and we'll go deep. Luck needed and i doubt it's the case. Anyway, we have no choice but to win. SO let's keep it up and see how the season goes. Let's hope we have more toughness in this squad. That hugely matters in the stretch. 99 team had that one thing plus developing talent they were tough.

One thing very gratifying is that the University also gets lots of good pub when we win all games.

As an aside though, even if we lost 4 games we'd still be 25-5 and still get in! 7 losses and we'd be 22-8 and STILL get in too.

gonzagafan62
01-15-2015, 04:31 PM
I definitely understand that point of view but I think it's something that goes both ways too. We have been able to work on all kids of post moves and different sets and expirement with on game situations. Something that against higher competition you may not get to see. I'm league there is still 6-8 quality games every year that test us including a crazy non conference game in the middle of that ruckus. I respect your point of view I just disagree. In the must of it all everyone was crushed 2 years ago... Maybe this is our time. And if it is, maybe your view will differ.

DixieZag
01-15-2015, 04:54 PM
I see advantages and disadvantages to the WCC.

In all, I think the disadvantages are slightly larger due to one reason - we don't see the size, quickness and strength we do in March. We might see more skilled teams, but all those sets we learn and all the tough environments faced all happen with teams a little smaller - especially in the back court, a step slower and not as strong down low. I think that results in a few more turnovers, some missed D assignments on D (3 pt defense?) and is difficult to work around.

In other words, lacking physical preparation rather than mental.

maynard g krebs
01-15-2015, 04:57 PM
The 99 team was built a lot like this one, and it had considerably less talent (remember, Casey wasn't fully developed as a soph and was the 5th option that year.) Since before the season I have compared the two teams in that they have scoring at all 5 spots and a ton of depth.

This team is like 99 offensively in terms of balance and scoring at every spot, except it is a lot more inside oriented. The 99 team wasn't hampered in March by the WCC schedule because they came in with a hunter mentality, with great confidence, a chip on their shoulders. To me the only issue is can this team approach March like 99 did, or do they come in playing tight and like they have something to lose rather than something to win.

The Zags recruit for offense, i.e. high iq players with great feel and understanding. That's what has allowed them to rise from the mid major ranks, and allows them to bring in kids like Perkins and Sabonis, who want to play that way. The best you can hope for when your stars are Wiltjer and Pangos is solid, effective team defense, and the Kenpom ranking says the Zags have that. Those who are hoping for a Kentucky/Virginia defense, well, I think that's a pipe dream.

But nobody wants to guard the Zags' offense, and if it's clicking in March (which will require an effective backup pg, hopefully Perkins in his November form, and Bell to get his shot back), a repeat of 99, and possibly another win or 2, is well within the realm of possibility.

gonzagafan62
01-15-2015, 05:07 PM
The 99 team was built a lot like this one, and it had considerably less talent (remember, Casey wasn't fully developed as a soph and was the 5th option that year.) Since before the season I have compared the two teams in that they have scoring at all 5 spots and a ton of depth.

This team is like 99 offensively in terms of balance and scoring at every spot, except it is a lot more inside oriented. The 99 team wasn't hampered in March by the WCC schedule because they came in with a hunter mentality, with great confidence, a chip on their shoulders. To me the only issue is can this team approach March like 99 did, or do they come in playing tight and like they have something to lose rather than something to win.

The Zags recruit for offense, i.e. high iq players with great feel and understanding. That's what has allowed them to rise from the mid major ranks, and allows them to bring in kids like Perkins and Sabonis, who want to play that way. The best you can hope for when your stars are Wiltjer and Pangos is solid, effective team defense, and the Kenpom ranking says the Zags have that. Those who are hoping for a Kentucky/Virginia defense, well, I think that's a pipe dream.

But nobody wants to guard the Zags' offense, and if it's clicking in March (which will require an effective backup pg, hopefully Perkins in his November form, and Bell to get his shot back), a repeat of 99, and possibly another win or 2, is well within the realm of possibility.

That is so true. Great post. I don't think I could have put it better myself. Thanks

gonzagafan62
01-15-2015, 05:12 PM
I see advantages and disadvantages to the WCC.

In all, I think the disadvantages are slightly larger due to one reason - we don't see the size, quickness and strength we do in March. We might see more skilled teams, but all those sets we learn and all the tough environments faced all happen with teams a little smaller - especially in the back court, a step slower and not as strong down low. I think that results in a few more turnovers, some missed D assignments on D (3 pt defense?) and is difficult to work around.

In other words, lacking physical preparation rather than mental.

I agree with this but I don't think it's the physical part at all. I think it's more mental. As and stated we need to play loos with something to prove rather than come out with everything to lose. The physical aspects are all there. It's the mentality I think that lacked in the 2013 team. I'm not so sure that this is a problem here. I think it's perfect. But I guess we will see.

ZionZag
01-19-2015, 10:02 AM
Jerry Palm who is traditionally bullish on the Zags has bumped them up to #1 Seed in the West. Bring it.

Jerry Palm still likes us at # 1

VinnyZag
01-19-2015, 12:15 PM
I've become skeptical of the argument that the WCC doesn't prepare GU for the tournament.

How does Butler make two national championship games out of the Horizon? How does Memphis make a series of deep runs out of Conference USA? What about Virginia Commonwealth? I think they were in the Colonial when they made their first runs.

Going further back, UNLV won a title out of the WAC, I believe.

Did those leagues prepare those teams better than the WCC?

gonzagafan62
01-19-2015, 12:27 PM
I've become skeptical of the argument that the WCC doesn't prepare GU for the tournament.

How does Butler make two national championship games out of the Horizon? How does Memphis make a series of deep runs out of Conference USA? What about Virginia Commonwealth? I think they were in the Colonial when they made their first runs.

Going further back, UNLV won a title out of the WAC, I believe.

Did those leagues prepare those teams better than the WCC?

Nobody ever answers my question either. lol

Someone did make a point the other day though, that it could be the conference officials, who make the team play scared defensively because they call too many BS fouls. This has also shown in the tournament too. Its a valid argument, and something I am starting to wonder about.

bartruff1
01-19-2015, 03:00 PM
" I have seen something else under the Sun..... that the race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong......but time and chance, happen to them all "...Ecclesiastes 9:11

It's a krapshoot...